Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire Revo R3600, £159.95 delivered to Ireland from Ebuyer

Options
  • 23-10-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Acer Aspire Revo R3600 Desktop PC, Atom 230 1.6GHz, 160GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, HDMI, nVidia GeForce 9400 ION, WIFI, Linux

R0167153-03.jpg

The AspireRevo R3600 is a revolution in computer size, shape, design and affordability. This cool-blue nettop sports a small casing that can either stand alone or snap to your monitor, streamlining your personal space while giving you the home infotainment center you always wanted!

Sleek any-room PC
    Whether tucked away in a corner of your desk or nicely concealed on the back of your monitor, the AspireRevo R3600 makes the perfect everyday PC for cruising the Internet, doing your daily work, staying connected via instant messaging, and enjoying photos, music, videos and more.
    Mini powerhouse
    The AspireRevo R3600 is small but powerful, fueled by today's latest mini processor and matched by an advanced NVIDIA® graphics chipset plus HDMI™. An eSATA port, six USB ports and a card reader make transferring your photos and other files as fast and easy as ever..

Processor

* Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz
    * NVIDIA® ION™ chipset

Memory

* 1 GB SDRAM

Hard Drive

* 160GB Serial ATA II

Optical Drive

* No Optical Drive

Software

* Operating System: Linux
    * Microsoft® Office 2007 Trial with Microsoft® Works 8.51
    * Acer GameZone
    * eSobi™
    * McAfee® Internet Security Suite 2009 (Trial)
    * Adobe® Reader®

Display

* Monitor Not Included

Graphics

* nVidia ION

Audio

* Speakers Not Included
    * High Definition audio (7.1)

Input Devices

* Keyboard & Mouse

Networking

* Wireless Lan
    * No Modem

Power Supply

* 65 W adapter with power cord
    * PC 2001, ENERGY STAR® 5.0

Dimensions

* 180 (L)
    * 180 (H)
    * 30 (W) mm (without bezel)

Interfaces

* 6 x USB 2.0 ports
    * Four-in-one card reader
    * High definition headphone and microphone jacks
    * DC-in jack
    * Ethernet port
    * D-Sub VGA port
    * HDMI port
    * eSATA port

Warranty

* 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty

Total: £159.95 inc shipping to Ireland.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167153

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Throw on XBMC and this would make a nice little HTPC.

Though I would just confirm what kind of GPU acceleration is available under Linux. (VDPAU?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Personally I would throw on Windows 7 Ultimate.

BTW, useful review here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Beat me to it.

This just leaves nVidia's ION platform, the key component of which is the 9400M graphics chip - that seen in the new Apple MacBooks. This brings with it the vital feature of hardware video decoding support, making it possible to playback 1080p h.264, MPEG-4 and VC-1 encoded video. In our testing, performance was flawless. HD film trailers, encoded in h.264 with stereo audio, all played back with no dropped frames, with CPU utilisation hovering between 20 to 30 per cent.

To tax the system a little further we switched to a 1080p version of Elephant's Dream, encoded in MPEG-4 with 5.1 channel AC3 audio. Here the CPU utilisation varied more. In complex scenes it peaked at around 70 per cent, with lows of 30 per cent. No matter how taxing the scene, though, the Revo still didn't drop a frame - very impressive.
    benifa wrote: »
    Personally I would throw on Windows 7 Ultimate.

BTW, useful review here.

Thanks OP,

Going to order one now.

Edit:

Does anybody have a promotion code for this site?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

I have to stop reading this forum thats a laptop and now a desktop i bought today , ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Super find OP!

I definitely don't need a new desktop......... or do I? No, I don't.

But it's cool............. maybe I will................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I know the feeling..

I don't need it. No one else in the household needs it. I can't justify buying it.

..but I want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Same here. I've no need for it, but I want it... Very good find OP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I have it with 4Gb of RAM running Windows 7 Ultimate here. Its a dream. You can specify the video memory up to 1Gb in the BIOS- and the Acer 'springboard' (it gives you a browser and skype before you boot- in a limited Linux kernel) is really good.

Seriously recommend stripping the Acer crapware it ships with though. Also- if it doesn't have Windows- whats the story with the Microsoft works etc? It most certainly doesn't work under Linux.......

Ps- there is a small hidden partition on the hard-drive with just Vista drivers on it (though mine came with a 250Gb harddrive). When you load up a fresh copy of Windows (even Windows 7) the boot loader automatically kicks off a driver installation process- which works flawlessly for Windows 7.

Pps- the Atom 230 supports hyper threading, but not VTx.....

Further- the wireless is an Atheros Wireless N chipset. Signal strength is nothing I'd be getting excited about and there is no way to attach an external antenna. Its nice to have 'N' though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sounds great for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sounds like a great bargain.

How much ram can you stick in it?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    Sounds like a great bargain.

How much ram can you stick in it?

Max 4Gb DDR2 RAM in 2 * 2Gb SODIMMs
    Up to 1Gb of this can be allocated to graphics memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Regging is a bit of a nightmare, can't change the country from Uk to Ireland when entering address.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow, I just found my xbmc xbox replacement, super find OP!!

smccarrick have you tried playing the infamous Killa Sampla on it?
    If it can do that i'm seriously impressed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Ok, that bit of info turns it from a really want to MUST HAVE...
    smccarrick wrote: »
    I have it with 4Gb of RAM running Windows 7 Ultimate here. Its a dream. You can specify the video memory up to 1Gb in the BIOS- and the Acer 'springboard' (it gives you a browser and skype before you boot- in a limited Linux kernel) is really good.

Seriously recommend stripping the Acer crapware it ships with though. Also- if it doesn't have Windows- whats the story with the Microsoft works etc? It most certainly doesn't work under Linux.......

Ps- there is a small hidden partition on the hard-drive with just Vista drivers on it (though mine came with a 250Gb harddrive). When you load up a fresh copy of Windows (even Windows 7) the boot loader automatically kicks off a driver installation process- which works flawlessly for Windows 7.

Pps- the Atom 230 supports hyper threading, but not VTx.....

Further- the wireless is an Atheros Wireless N chipset. Signal strength is nothing I'd be getting excited about and there is no way to attach an external antenna. Its nice to have 'N' though.

How much info do that need FFS......
    I'm not giving my DOB....

Telephone number
    Not a valid phone number
    Boggles wrote: »
    Regging is a bit of a nightmare, can't change the country from Uk to Ireland when entering address.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Google checkout is the way to go with ebuyer if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

you can also get this off ebay with 2gb ram and 250gb hd (instead of 1gb and 160gb) for €180 delivered through ems
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ACER-Aspire-R3600-REVO-250G-2G-RAM-Mini-Desktop-PC-NEW_W0QQitemZ160371315064QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item2556e01178
    (However if its caught by customs it'l be an extra €40 so €220 in total, still not too bad)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Dammit, just bought one :)
    Anyone know what the memory config is with this unit? 1x1GB or 2x512MB?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

manu2009 wrote: »
    you can also get this off ebay with 2gb ram and 250gb hd (instead of 1gb and 160gb) for €180 delivered through ems
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ACER-Aspire-R3600-REVO-250G-2G-RAM-Mini-Desktop-PC-NEW_W0QQitemZ160371315064QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item2556e01178
    (However if its caught by customs it'l be an extra €40 so €220 in total, still not too bad)

Wireless kbd and mouse too.

This Asrock NetTop ION 330 Mini ITX might be a better option for XBMC. From my reading of the XBMC forum it seems to be a very popular choice and apparently can play the Killa Sampla which is impressive.

Sorry for dragging this off topic, the OP got me clicking buttons!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »

When yea click through to the discussion page
    "Acer Aspire Revo Desktop PC, Atom 230 1.6GHz, 160GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, NOOPT, nVidia ION, Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Linux"

Fingers crossed :)

manu2009 wrote: »

Surely customs would be more due to the handling fee of whoever ships them item? UPS being about another tenner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Almost got the credit card out, when I spotted that there is no optical out for audio, only through the hdmi. No way around this I presume (besides changing the amp to something with hdmi) Actually amp does have hdmi. Oh no! There goes the CC! I presume it would be a piece of piss to install windows 7 on this ????

Wow, I just found my xbmc xbox replacement, super find OP!!

smccarrick have you tried playing the infamous Killa Sampla on it?
    If it can do that i'm seriously impressed.

Plays fine. I also have an external Bluray player/burner that works fine on it. If anyone is in the Lucan area and wants to see this working- give me a yell......

wiseolsham wrote: »
    Almost got the credit card out, when I spotted that there is no optical out for audio, only through the hdmi. No way around this I presume (besides changing the amp to something with hdmi) Actually amp does have hdmi. Oh no! There goes the CC! I presume it would be a piece of piss to install windows 7 on this ????

It took 2.5 hours to do an upgrade installation (to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit- from Vista Ultimate 32 bit). I did a similar installation on an EEEBox B202- but with a clean installation instead- it took 40 mins.

Windows 7 Experience score is 2.2- due to the Atom processor- but 3D graphics are clocking a 5.9 and 5.8 for both the HDD and Memory. You do notice the benefit of hyper threading in Windows 7- far more than in Vista- and the graphics are simply something else altogether- a totally different experience from Vista.

This Asrock NetTop ION 330 Mini ITX might be a better option for XBMC. From my reading of the XBMC forum it seems to be a very popular choice and apparently can play the Killa Sampla which is impressive.

Sorry for dragging this off topic, the OP got me clicking buttons!!

In all fairness- the wireless keyboard and mouse are more for show than anything else. Its like a laptop keyboard- but very plasticy, and the keys don't have a lot of feedback. The mouse is like a malformed block of cheese....... I use a logitech keyboard and mouse, there is no comparison.

wiseolsham wrote: »

If yea need optical out, yea can get a USB sound card with an optical out like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

it seems to be a very popular choice and apparently can play the Killa Sampla which is impressive.

The "Killa Sampla" proves troublesome to decode, besides the high bitrate, as it is encoded using the H.264/AVC codec in High Profile @ Level 5.1 (HP@L5.1) with 16 reference frames. Currently only Nvidia hardware offers full hardware acceleration for L5.1; in comparison, HD DVD and Blu-ray content is encoded in HP@L4.1 with 2 reference frames.

Back on topic, this really is a great deal and will prove to be a great HTPC for anyone in need of one. I just hope eBuyer doesn't mess things up like it's done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

Forgive my ignorance - this has no monitor, can you buy one with it; how much does windows 7 cost, and finally, i am trying to register with ebuyer and it wont recognise irish phone number. thanks in advance
    T

torregolf wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance - this has no monitor, can you buy one with it; how much does windows 7 cost, and finally, i am trying to register with ebuyer and it wont recognise irish phone number. thanks in advance
    T

You can get a monitor from any computer retailor- or you can go online and pick one up from any of a large number of online stores. If you look at the current issue of PC Pro- they have reviews of several budget monitors- some are really really good. You can always ask for help/guidance over in the Tech-Computers & Technology fora......

Win 7- there are copies of Home Premium going for EUR60 on adverts.ie- its very slightly more than the pre-order price, but significantly less than retail....

Re: the ebuyer phone no. thing- it will take an Irish mobile no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Edit : Ive skipped the registration by using google checkout. With VAT added its coming out at 173 euro is that right or am i missing something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Edit : Ive skipped the registration by using google checkout. With VAT added its coming out at 173 euro is that right or am i missing something ?

yeah thats right, £159.95 = €173.94 :P

Advertisement