Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire Revo R3600, £159.95 delivered to Ireland from Ebuyer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

just seen this with 250gb & 2gb RAM on eBay for €192 free delivery from Taiwan.
    seller has shipped them to europe and america with 100% feedback.

can anyone find holes in any of this?

CPU: Intel Atom N230 (1.6 GHz)

Chipset: NVIDIA ION Chipset

Support full HD 1920x1080

DIMM: DDR2 800 SO-DIMM 2 GB

HDD: 250 GB

Video out: HDMI port x1 / D-SUB VGA port x1

Card Reader: SD/SDHC/MS/MS Pro/MMC

WiFi: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n

LAN:10/100/1000 Base-TX Ethernet LAN on Board

Dia.182 x 36 x 218 mm

COLOR :Blue

Weight : 750g

1x AC Adaptor
    1x Manual
    1X Stand
    1X VESA mount
    1X Wireless Keyboard
    1x Wireless Mouse

+ 1 year warranty

...................any thoughts much appreciated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

just seen this with 250gb & 2gb RAM on eBay for €192 free delivery from Taiwan.
    seller has shipped them to europe and america with 100% feedback.

can anyone find holes in any of this?

...................any thoughts much appreciated.

The big hole in this- is you are pretty certain to be hit with indeterminate customs, duty and VAT on it- while the eBuyer one, although of a lower spec, is coming from an intra-EU country destination- and will not get hit with additional taxes and charges.

You can pick up the extra memory cheap from several sites (Shop4memory are based in Celbridge and do a next day delivery in Ireland)- its a better proposition..........

My thoughts......

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

A friend of mine used that Taiwan reseller to buy the Revo.
    He lives in Germany and he couldn't find any German reselllers that ship without Vista (+100euro). He was quite happy and didn't have to pay customs, but I think you have to be prepared that that might happen.

Also, what happens if the Revo doesn't work? It's a lot of hassle to ship it back to Taiwan.

I bought 2 Acer Revo's in July from Ebuyer and one was Dead on Arrival. Ebuyer sent out a courier to retrieve the Revo and replaced it! (And then shipped it to the wrong address.. , but that's another story, it arrived eventually :))

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

smccarrick wrote: »
    The big hole in this- is you are pretty certain to be hit with indeterminate customs, duty and VAT on it- while the eBuyer one, although of a lower spec, is coming from an intra-EU country destination- and will not get hit with additional taxes and charges.

You can pick up the extra memory cheap from several sites (Shop4memory are based in Celbridge and do a next day delivery in Ireland)- its a better proposition..........

My thoughts......

helpful. thanks.

don't suppose anyone might hazard a guess on how much customs charges might come to for goods from taiwan if I did get charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

Thanks, but could you tell me how to do this??

• Advertisement

helpful. thanks.

don't suppose anyone might hazard a guess on how much customs charges might come to for goods from taiwan if I did get charged?

I paid EUR86 on a transmitter last week, which had a declared value of US$240- if thats of any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

My thoughts......

One other small disadvantage is the chinese/english keyboard. In the end I went with eBuyer cos it's handier and I figured I don't need either the extra memory or the hard space for what I want to do...

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Hi,

Can someone who has got this tell me what emails they received when they ordered via Google Checkout? I ordered on Thursday evening but so far I have only got one email, from Google Checkout itself, nothing from ebuyer themselves. The status link inside the GC email leads to a page showing status "not shipped yet". The delivery info is shown as

Shipping & Handling (Wed 4th Nov 2009 (Delivery to EIRE)) : £9.99

Does this all sound ok?

Thanks,
    c

Thanks to everyone for their replies on this. I rang eBuyer on Monday - quite a nice experience actually - I was expecting mayhem after some of the comments about their service on boards! Waited a few minutes, got an agent. She said it looked like the google checkout order wasn't due to be shipped til Weds and that might explain why they haven't seen it. I hadn't chosen Weds but its not beyond the bounds of possibility that I did by mistake. She suggested waiting til Tues/Weds and see what happened. But my gut feel was that the order was stuck so I asked her to cancel it and put me through to sales. The sales guy took my details no problem (including shipping to ireland) and my order shipped that evening - this might be an alternative to the GC route for others.

I got a follow on email from Google checkout saying the order was cancelled but sure enough wouldn't you know I got an email today from eBuyer thanking me for my Google order and saying it would ship when Google confirm the charge :) The Google order is defo cancelled so I am not worried about this too much.

Overall not too bad an experience, I reckon vendor integration with GC is a nightmare - GC seem to want to hold much more control over the transaction than says Paypal do - eBuyer couldn't amend the delivery date on the GC order for example, because google hadn't "send it through" to them yet, even though they could log onto their GC account and see it.

Can't wait for the baby now!

c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I'm not allowed to use Google Checkout, Google says.

They asked me to scan and email proof of ID (passport) and proof of address (bank statement). Did that but they've still decided do deny my usage of their service.

Bloody cheek. I'm not a kid, I've got a great credit history - why don't they like me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Gotta say I love this little machine. Running windows 7 on it, for other users to use, but want to use it myself as an xbmc. I've tried xbmc through windows 7 but it is jerky with hd mkvs. Do I need more RAM? If I was to install ubuntu with xbmc, could i dual boot with windows 7? Would this allow me to playback hidef mkvs flawlessly or am I doing something wrong with windows 7 xbmc? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭epgriffin

Just an FYI. I posted earlier on this thread about a dual core version of this machine. They have been in short supply but I finally tracked down a dual core (Atom 330). Rest of the specs are pretty much identical. 160GB/1GB linux. www.microwarehouse.co.uk are shipping it to ireland for 153.98 ex VAT...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

epgriffin wrote: »
    Just an FYI. I posted earlier on this thread about a dual core version of this machine. They have been in short supply but I finally tracked down a dual core (Atom 330). Rest of the specs are pretty much identical. 160GB/1GB linux. www.microwarehouse.co.uk are shipping it to ireland for 153.98 ex VAT...

Have you one on the way?

When I added one to my basket it says:
    IMPORANT INFORMATION: We only ship to UK addresses

invest4deepvalue.com

I emailed them yesterday and they phoned me back. They can only take international orders over the phone but they have no problem shipping here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Kernel wrote: »
    Gotta say I love this little machine. Running windows 7 on it, for other users to use, but want to use it myself as an xbmc. I've tried xbmc through windows 7 but it is jerky with hd mkvs. Do I need more RAM? If I was to install ubuntu with xbmc, could i dual boot with windows 7? Would this allow me to playback hidef mkvs flawlessly or am I doing something wrong with windows 7 xbmc? :)

XBMC under windows doesnt support DXVA (video acceleration) yet, so you're not making any use of the Nvidia 9400. Thats why HD videos run crap, the Atom is too weak to manage it on its own. You can get it working, by making XBMC use an external video player like MPC-HC (which does support DXVA) but its fairly tedious and not an ideal solution.

XBMC under Linux does support video acceleration natively. Its called VDPAU, the Linux equivalent of DXVA, and it should be mentioned how to configure it in one of the guides posted in the past few pages.

epgriffin wrote: »
    I emailed them yesterday and they phoned me back. They can only take international orders over the phone but they have no problem shipping here...

ARrrgggggg! I had been following that item for ages and had given up on any new stock ever arriving! Did you actually place the order over the phone?

The ebuyer one arrived this morning but I haven't actually broken the seal on it - looks like it would cost me €26 to send the ebuyer one back and then the dual core one is prolly another €20 extra - is the extra core worth €46 do you think? Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

ARrrgggggg! I had been following that item for ages and had given up on any new stock ever arriving! Did you actually place the order over the phone?

The ebuyer one arrived this morning but I haven't actually broken the seal on it - looks like it would cost me €26 to send the ebuyer one back and then the dual core one is prolly another €20 extra - is the extra core worth €46 do you think? Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Colm

I will give you 150 for the ebuyer one, to save you sending it back!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

is this the right driver for the graphic card

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_185.85_whql.html

edit
    does any one know where to get the rest of the drivers from i cant find the Aspire Revo R3600 on their web site.

i will be installing windows xp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

XBMC under windows doesnt support DXVA (video acceleration) yet, so you're not making any use of the Nvidia 9400. Thats why HD videos run crap, the Atom is too weak to manage it on its own. You can get it working, by making XBMC use an external video player like MPC-HC (which does support DXVA) but its fairly tedious and not an ideal solution.

XBMC under Linux does support video acceleration natively. Its called VDPAU, the Linux equivalent of DXVA, and it should be mentioned how to configure it in one of the guides posted in the past few pages.

Ah cheers mate, that's the info I was looking for. I had wrongly thought the DXVA was looked after by the nvidia drivers. It's my first time using xbmc, used YAMJ before that, but I prefer XBMC. :)

Sucks that the dual cores are going so cheap, but I'm happy with the 3600.

eamonnq wrote: »
    I will give you 150 for the ebuyer one, to save you sending it back!!! :)

Ok.... so I rang them to double check they will ship to ireland and to check the delivery charge. Delivery is £28 :S So that makes it £182, thats €204 according to google. Still a great deal but it has pushed over the magic €200 barrier. In my particular circumstances with the added cost of getting it back to ebuyer I will probably stick with what I have. Xbmc runs fine under linux with the 230 anyways so the extra core would prolly just be sucking power :) :P

c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Ok.... so I rang them to double check they will ship to ireland and to check the delivery charge. Delivery is £28 :S So that makes it £182, thats €204 according to google. Still a great deal but it has pushed over the magic €200 barrier. In my particular circumstances with the added cost of getting it back to ebuyer I will probably stick with what I have. Xbmc runs fine under linux with the 230 anyways so the extra core would prolly just be sucking power :) :P

c

Insight Equanet & Ballicom all have it for around the same price, it might be worthwhile ringing/emailing around to see who can do the best "all in" price.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

That £28 delivery is only for next day delivery. They told me that the 48 hour delivery is about half the price and more realistic as they can't always guarantee next day.

Insight did not get shipment from suppliers. They also have over 200 backorders so they don't expect to fill orders until end of month.

Ballicom won't ship internationally.

Equanet are part of Dixons group who run PC World Business and microwarehouse so my order is actually with Equanet.

Do-more wrote: »
    Insight Equanet & Ballicom all have it for around the same price, it might be worthwhile ringing/emailing around to see who can do the best "all in" price.

As far as I could figure out before, they are all subs of the same group (or reselling that group's catalog like companies that resell computer 2000 etc.) though it is possible the delivery might differ.

I think I am going to break the seal now, can't wait any longer!

c

soooo, I connect it all together and after figuring out how to get past the revo boot thingy the bloody HD wouldn't boot! All I get is an "L" followed by loads of 99 99 99's then "Reboot and select proper Boot device" ....

I am assuming some form of linux is supposed to boot from the HD? I know I don't want to keep it but it doesn't bode well the OS wouldn't boot :D

c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hogan_p

Hello. I just spotted your comments about installing Windows 7 on an R3600? I recently bought one on e-bay with no OS, and bought Windows 7 last week. I've spent all week tryin to figure out how to get it installed, but have no idea where to stary. Have you any tips on where I should begin? I'd really appreciate your help people. Thanks. Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Download 'ImgBurn' from here:
    http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Put your Windows disc in your DVD drive and run ImgBurn.
    Select the 'Create image file from disc' option and save as an ISO image to somewhere on your hard disk you will remember, eg C:\Win7

Download the Microsoft Windows 7 USB Tool from here:
    http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Install the tool to your hard drive. Plug in a USB key of at least 4GB size and run the tool. Follow the instructions and point it to where you stored the ISO image you created.

The tool will make your USB key bootable and copy across the contents of your ISO image.

Plug in the USB key into your REVO and boot. Press F12 to select your key as the first boot device. Windows should start its install routine.

When the installation is complete check your updates from the Control Panel and install any driver updates you think you need.

That's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Phibsboro, I got the same result when I formatted the hard disk before installing Windows 7. It means the REVO cannot find a bootable drive. Install either a Linux distro or Windows from a USB key as in my previous post. There's lots of ways to make Linux bootable from a key, but the easiest is to boot a live Linux disc on another machine with a CD drive and choose the option to install to a USB key. Most live Linux distros allow this.

Some wonderful mini Linux distros include: Austrumi, Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux, Slax, and my favourite, Parted Magic

pauly3 wrote: »
    Phibsboro, I got the same result when I formatted the hard disk before installing Windows 7. It means the REVO cannot find a bootable drive. Install either a Linux distro or Windows from a USB key as in my previous post. There's lots of ways to make Linux bootable from a key, but the easiest is to boot a live Linux disc on another machine with a CD drive and choose the option to install to a USB key. Most live Linux distros allow this.

Some wonderful mini Linux distros include: Austrumi, Damn Small Linux, Puppy Linux, Slax, and my favourite, Parted Magic

Hi, thanks for that.

Ye I figured the HD was empty and I do intend to install a lite xbmc disto but I was just surprised that out of the box (literally!) it wouldn't boot to anything! Isn't it supposed to ship with linux?

c

pauly3 wrote: »

I'd add Mint to the list :)

Hi, thanks for that.

Ye I figured the HD was empty and I do intend to install a lite xbmc disto but I was just surprised that out of the box (literally!) it wouldn't boot to anything! Isn't it supposed to ship with linux?

c

It does- there is a lightweight os with a browser, skype and an IM programme- but its disabled by default at BIOS level. You can pop in and re-enable it (most people leave it disabled, as it speeds boot time). What you need to do is change your boot sequence to CD/DVD ROM as the first boot device and boot with a USB CD/DVD ROM drive, with the Windows 7 install disk in it......

• Advertisement

It does- there is a lightweight os with a browser, skype and an IM programme- but its disabled by default at BIOS level. You can pop in and re-enable it (most people leave it disabled, as it speeds boot time). What you need to do is change your boot sequence to CD/DVD ROM as the first boot device and boot with a USB CD/DVD ROM drive, with the Windows 7 install disk in it......

I think you are mixing me up with hogan_p re windows 7. But re the shipped Linux, are you saying RevoBoot is it? I had a play round with that but assumed it was just a rom based quick boot thingy ala Dell MediaCenter or whatever. I would have thought that the HD itself would have a full linux distro on it, but I guess not :) Can other people confirm that booting to HD on this machine, straight out of the box, doesn't work?

Gonna stick xbmc live on it, ala the earlier referenced lifehacker article. I have xbmc running on a windows laptop as a test and it is a fab little front end - got the iplayer plugin working and that sealed the deal for me. If only someone would do an RTE Player plugin :)

c

Advertisement