Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire Revo R3600, £159.95 delivered to Ireland from Ebuyer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Phester

Iplayer. in Ireland. Did you use an english proxy?? would like to get a more stable way of viewing iplayer than the hit and miss proxy (free) servers that are always coming and going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

so i got mine on wednesday after ordering on monday.

have stuck up win7 on it after a lot of huffing and puffing as i had to delete all partitions to make it work (mbr and all).

anyway, its going nicely with win7, not a bother with the 1gb ram.

however, ive been trying to stream avis from my main computer and i get this :

1. main pc connected downstairs by ethernet to wireless router.
    2. wireless router -> 2nd wireless router in room by dd-wrt linksys router.
    3. usually this worked without any drops with my apple tv.
    4. however with the revo, (which i had to connect with ethernet cable to the dd-wrt as wifi streaming was useless with buffering all the time) i get about 1 minute of video and sound bunching up, out of sync, sound going on, video catching up for a minute or two before it all gets better.

im using this with windows media centre and an mce remote i had.

i installed k-lite codec pack to see if that would help, nada.

what are the options i have to get a better stream? xbmc? if yes, how would i be able to control that with a remote control? the revo is connected to my tv via hdmi at 1176x something (think its a plasma screen at that resolution).

if xbmc is the way to go, how would 1 set things up to get it to replace windows media centre, and start when you start and use the remote?

i have an apple remote lying around as well if that might help. connected the mce remote blaster to the revo and that works fine.

Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Spipov wrote: »

have stuck up win7 on it after a lot of huffing and puffing as i had to delete all partitions to make it work (mbr and all).

Thanks for the help!

how did you do this cos i am having the same problem. installed linux then removed it(new to linux) and now i want to install window xp. but cant see any partitions.

once you've booted from the usb disc, (you need to disable revoboot in bios), and you are at the install screen, itll show you the list of available partitions. you can delete them one after the other and create a new one from the whole hdd available. thats all :)

thats the problem i cant see any avaiable patitions, I have deleted the mbr and formated the hd using a program on ultimate boot cd(which i think worked) but still no joy when installing windows.
    revoboot is diabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

once you've booted from the usb disc, (you need to disable revoboot in bios), and you are at the install screen, itll show you the list of available partitions. you can delete them one after the other and create a new one from the whole hdd available. thats all :)

Just to clarify, you can delete etc once you click the "disk options" link on the screen where it displays the partitions.

Just installed 7 for the craic and it is stuttering slightly on a DIVX over wifi, not good - wonder what is causing that? 7 is supposed to know all about the Ion outa the box. Might be the connection, I'll try plugging it in..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Just to clarify, you can delete etc once you click the "disk options" link on the screen where it displays the partitions.

Just installed 7 for the craic and it is stuttering slightly on a DIVX over wifi, not good - wonder what is causing that? 7 is supposed to know all about the Ion outa the box. Might be the connection, I'll try plugging it in..

I swapped out the Wifi card for an Intel 5300 one- I found it more stable than the Atheros it shipped with (particularly for streaming). S.

clansman wrote: »
    thats the problem i cant see any avaiable patitions, I have deleted the mbr and formated the hd using a program on ultimate boot cd(which i think worked) but still no joy when installing windows.
    revoboot is diabled.

Windows will not see the partition you formatted with the Ultimate Boot CD.
    Go back into the BIOS and delete all detected partitions- until you have one large unformatted partition comprising the entire capacity of the hard-drive. Specify the USB boot device as boot device 0 and plug your Windows 7 install CD in and off you go. Note; Do not use an upgrade disk.......

smccarrick wrote: »
    I swapped out the Wifi card for an Intel 5300 one- I found it more stable than the Atheros it shipped with (particularly for streaming). S.

Ye, its fine over wired lan which is what I intend to use when I have it behind the telly so all is well. XBMC Lite next!

im loathe to open up and void the warranty but i think i might have to change wifi card to a stronger one therefore. the wired lan is better but still not as good as apple tv streaming. shame really.

might as well add 1gb of ram while im at it id say.

any recommendations on wifi cards?the 5300 the best?i think i have a 1395 lying around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 robertod

Really? Mine shipped last Friday and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered :mad:

Did everyone else get it within a couple of days too? Should I be worried? :eek:

Phester wrote: »
    Iplayer. in Ireland. Did you use an english proxy?? would like to get a more stable way of viewing iplayer than the hit and miss proxy (free) servers that are always coming and going

Ye, using a paid proxy. Just tried it for a month to see how it goes. iPlayer is the *bomb*! :D

robertod wrote: »
    Really? Mine shipped last Friday and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered :mad:

Did everyone else get it within a couple of days too? Should I be worried? :eek:

yes! check the status of the order on Google Checkout. Did you get an order confirmation email from ebuyer themselves, not just GC?

yes, i had the same issue with google checkout, they didnt get the order. i posted that issue a few pages back. in the end i bought straight from ebuyer using my credit card and it was here in 2 days.

i got mine in a few days, and so did a friend.

on a side note, anybody tried running ntl throught their windows media centre?ive a couple of usb tv tuner cards - i think dvb-t cards. would mce see the analogue channels and be able to change them through mce? cheers

what about ntl digital?would be fun if was able to do that!

on a side note, anybody tried running ntl throught their windows media centre?ive a couple of usb tv tuner cards - i think dvb-t cards. would mce see the analogue channels and be able to change them through mce? cheers

what about ntl digital?would be fun if was able to do that!

Picks up the analogue signal fine :D

Picks up the analogue signal fine :D

how does it work in wmc?in the tv section?does it get an EPG? and you can change the channels using the remote?ill try that tonight i think just to see.

anybody knows how to get the skyplayer plugin in the wmc?do i have to install internet tv?says its a 5md download, but ive seen no mention of the skyplayer.

my win7 is rc1 i think, not the latest oem or retail version. must be a previous build if its included in other peoples?

Got xbmc on it, looks great. Tried the killa sample on it for the craic, (http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36520) and it ran fine - info screen shows it at 24fps, 40Mbit (!) and cpu at 4%(!!) - the joys of VDPAU :D Btw, I got similar results in Win 7 using mediaplayer classic home theater.

c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

hrm! this or a wdtv live media player (wdtv2)... gah, never easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

You can configure either nVidia sound out via HDMI or onboard Realtek Hi-def sound (you have to specify which is default though)......
    Sorry to say I don't understand this tech language that well - can you tell me how to do this - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Wossack wrote: »
    hrm! this or a wdtv live media player (wdtv2)... gah, never easy

I can't figure out what to do either! I currently have a Vostro tower with a LG Bluray/HD-DVD combo drive in it beside the TV, but it's very noisy. At first I thought to run the Revo with linux and XBMC and get an enclosure for the Bluray HD-DVD drive. But checking the net it seems that the drive will not work well in linux.

If I put the drive into my main desktop which has Win 7 will I be able to play Blurays and HD-DVD over the network on the Revo?

invest4deepvalue.com

pauly3 wrote: »
    I installed Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) on the Revo last night and am pleased to report it is running very well. I installed 2GB ram first, and changed the amount allocated to the graphics to 512MB.

The installation was painless, after booting from a USB key, and all device drivers were installed with the automatic updates (only one item still needing drivers - a 'coprocessor' ??). The Windows 7 Experience Index Score was as follows:

Processor: 2.2
    Memory: 4.5
    Graphics: 4.1
    Gaming Graphics: 5.1
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.4

I was pleasantly surprised by the good graphics scores. The processor was to be expected. Aero runs very smoothly. Total RAM usage after the install was around 500MB.

I did not have time to play HD video, but will report back when I do.

im just wondering. my bios only allows me up to 256mb for the igpu. would that be because i have only 1gb ram?

im just wondering. my bios only allows me up to 256mb for the igpu. would that be because i have only 1gb ram?

Yes. I put 4Gb in mine- it allows me to allocate 1Gb to graphics (and my graphics subscore is 5.8, with 5.6 for gaming graphics).

S.

i got 4GB of ram and i can only select 512.
    is there a hidden option?

anybody who has windows 7 and windows media centre, is skyplayer available?i dont know how to get this selection up in mine. cant find it,

im not even sure its released now?

also

i have ntl analogue cable connected with wintv hvr900h hybrid usb tv tuner but when im playing tv content, the picture is 4:3, ie only in the middle of the screen. anyway to make it 16:9 / full screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Is it easy to Upgrade the memory on the Acer Aspire Revo?

There is a Acer Aspire Revo 4GB Memory Kit Upgrade available on the site - is this a good deal?

Cork wrote: »
    Is it easy to Upgrade the memory on the Acer Aspire Revo?

There is a Acer Aspire Revo 4GB Memory Kit Upgrade available on the site - is this a good deal?

check this out for changing ram http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ayQOyTEWRw

also it all depends on what you want it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Picked up one of these Revos last week and installed Win7 on it and it runs like a dream. I have to say I am very impressed with this kit.

I picked up one of these wireless touchpads to compliment it which might be of interest to other Revo buyers, its very neat & quirky and seems to be perfect for using with this kit and its cheap too... $45 including shipping which works out at approx 30-32 yoyos

http://efo.buy-lowest.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Hi,

Sorry to drag this up again-although this bargain is still available.

To people in the know, if I buy this can I:

Connect it to my tv, will it utilise the whole screen, and will there be audio?

My tv only has the following connections:
    Scart, Dvi and the three little holes(red,yellow,white)

Im guessing if its possible, I will have to buy some extra cables yeah?

Thanks very much.:)

Advertisement