Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire Revo R3600, £159.95 delivered to Ireland from Ebuyer

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A very dumb question i know but this Linux Revo isn't an operating system like windows (you know with icons and stuff) thats Ubunto i need right ? I was looking through the Acer and could only find internet,photo,music etc couldnt find out how to install any other programs like VLC or things. I bought this to be my work desk top when i start my business so ill need to install some Autocad type software.

At the moment im downloading Ubunto that is what im looking for ? I would wait untill tomor but im super exciteded about getting this going.

Its not a silly question.
    Yes- Ubuntu is a full operating system- with Office and loads of applications. It looks and behaves more like Mac OS than Windows- but you have VLC, Open Office and loads of other applications- and its all opensource, so its free!

If you're downloading it at the moment- make sure you get 8.10 and not 8.04 (the previous distro).

S.

Ps- burn the ISO to disk- and you can boot from the disk and play with the operating system- without installing anything watsover. If you're not happy with it- you don't have to install it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its not a silly question.
    Yes- Ubuntu is a full operating system- with Office and loads of applications. It looks and behaves more like Mac OS than Windows- but you have VLC, Open Office and loads of other applications- and its all opensource, so its free!

If you're downloading it at the moment- make sure you get 8.10 and not 8.04 (the previous distro).

S.

Ps- burn the ISO to disk- and you can boot from the disk and play with the operating system- without installing anything watsover. If you're not happy with it- you don't have to install it.......

Cheers for that, im on the right track so, i found a website giving a step by step to install it on this very machine which might be of use to people http://www.greenhughes.com/content/how-install-ubuntu-and-boxee-acer-aspire-revo

It sent me to here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and the latest version was a 9.04 ?? Hope thats the right one.

I ll let ye know how i get on with it.

Sorry- the new version is 9.10 - and its only out tomorrow- its got the nickname 'Karmic Koala'.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I must say this thing is really very responsive with Windows 7. Much quicker than I expected with it's little 1.6Ghz Proc.

I had a few plans for this and some are working out. Was trying to get my DVB-T usb stick working earlier but ran into a few problems.. the first being that I couldn't get Alt-dvb working but I think the stick is after breaking after a few tests on another machine. This would have been pretty sweet with hardware based MPEG-4 decoding on the acer.

Next I got HD playback working, played back a 720p MKV documentary no problem after I installed CoreAVC with CUDA support and Mediaplayerclassic-HC. It was stuttering from time to time but Im putting this down to a shortage of RAM or Video memory. It really would benefit from an extra gig or two of RAM (Which I will get around to, just a pain that it voids the warranty)

Think il throw the new Ubuntu on at the weekend too and give that a spin. I had actually stated using Ubuntu a bit on my main laptop cause I was sick of Vista but Im happy enough with Win7 now :). I still want to learn more unix cli however.

Also, anyone know if it's possible to get some sort of adaptor to let me mount this to the back of a large LCD? The mounting holes on my 32" sony are too far apart for the supplied VESA mount and Id love to attach it there..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Redisle wrote: »
    Next I got HD playback working, played back a 720p MKV documentary no problem after I installed CoreAVC with CUDA support and Mediaplayerclassic-HC. It was stuttering from time to time but Im putting this down to a shortage of RAM or Video memory. It really would benefit from an extra gig or two of RAM (Which I will get around to, just a pain that it voids the warranty)

Have you tested playing back your 720p mkv files with MPC HC's built-in decoder? It supports the Nvidia 9400M, so full hardware acceleration will work fine and without the need for CoreAVC.

With that said, I'm not sure how CoreAVC with CUDA support compares to the MPC Video decoder, but you should definitely compare them to find out which is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Finally ordered one today with an extra 2GiB Ram module, so hope the order goes through.

Can anybody confirm that it ships with a single stick of ram and not 2x 512?

@Rsaeire
    Yeah I tried it first using MPC's built in one but it was very jumpy. CoreAvc's playback is much smoother (but I am getting some stuttering at full screen, pretty sure I need more memory)

@BOHF 139
    I checked my system earlier with SIW and it said 2 slots, max 4gb with 1 stick (1024mb) installed in slot 1. One slot free. I do wonder if it would be better to have 2x1gb rather than 1gb + 2gb (anyone know exactly how much of a performance difference there is between dual channel and non dc? )

Edit:Here's an SIW screenshot for Memory:

meminfo.th.jpg

And for those interested this is a screenshot of the windows experience index.

windowsexp.th.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You'll still get dual channel with a 2GB and 1GB stick but only 2GBs will operate in dual channel. If I were you I'd go with 3GBs or 4GBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

It has 1 module of 1GB, with one slot free (I opened mine up). If you are upgrading the memory use two matching modules for dual-channel operation. This gives about a 10% increase in speed. If you are installing Windows 7 64-bit I would recommend 2x2GB modules, PC2-6400 - 800Mhz (PC2-5300 - 667Mhz works also).

To upgrade the hard drive you have to remove the motherboard. The hard drive is secured with 4 screws on the bottom of the motherboard. You must also remove the fan and heatsink first. There is space for a 1TB 2.5" hard disk, if you have a large movie collection!

Video link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ayQOyTEWRw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) on the Revo last night and am pleased to report it is running very well. I installed 2GB ram first, and changed the amount allocated to the graphics to 512MB.

The installation was painless, after booting from a USB key, and all device drivers were installed with the automatic updates (only one item still needing drivers - a 'coprocessor' ??). The Windows 7 Experience Index Score was as follows:

Processor: 2.2
    Memory: 4.5
    Graphics: 4.1
    Gaming Graphics: 5.1
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.4

I was pleasantly surprised by the good graphics scores. The processor was to be expected. Aero runs very smoothly. Total RAM usage after the install was around 500MB.

I did not have time to play HD video, but will report back when I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

For those who have received theirs, what company delivered it? GLS? AnPost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

GLS, today after ordering on Tuesday.

So what memory are people using to upgrade? Im debating getting just 2gb or going for the full 4.. the price really starts going up at 4gb. This is the cheapest (branded) memory I can find, anyone else do better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Got mine today. The wired keyboard makes it a bit less useful as a htpc than I had hoped. Also, it looks like the screen has quite a low refresh rate when connected to my old CRT monitor and there doesnt seem to be any way to cahnge it in the "Splashtop"
    You'll still get dual channel with a 2GB and 1GB stick but only 2GBs will operate in dual channel.

Sorry to be a nuisance but could you explain that a little bit further please?
    I'll probably put Win 7 on there soonish. Do you think there would be a clear advantage for either 3GB or 4GB?

i downloaded the ubuntu ISO burnt it to a disk like it said restarted my laptop like it said it gave me two options start windows or start unbuntu i clicked unbuntu it loaded for a while then i got a black screen with a C; prompt that would do nothing after about an hour i restarted my machine went into windows half the stuff wouldnt work. Tried to run a check this morning now nothing at all works. I get a flash of a blue screen then it restarts this goes on and on. Think ive wrecked my laptop trying to get a OS onto this acer.

Ive just spent all my money on the acer as a work computer now ive nothing gggrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

i downloaded the ubuntu ISO burnt it to a disk like it said restarted my laptop like it said it gave me two options start windows or start unbuntu i clicked unbuntu it loaded for a while then i got a black screen with a C; prompt that would do nothing after about an hour i restarted my machine went into windows half the stuff wouldnt work. Tried to run a check this morning now nothing at all works. I get a flash of a blue screen then it restarts this goes on and on. Think ive wrecked my laptop trying to get a OS onto this acer.

Ive just spent all my money on the acer as a work computer now ive nothing gggrrrrrr
    I don't follow. You say you wanted to put Ubuntu onto the Acer Revo, but it sounds like you have installed it onto your laptop... :confused:

I don't follow. You say you wanted to put Ubuntu onto the Acer Revo, but it sounds like you have installed it onto your laptop... :confused:

Yea to get it from the web on to the laptop then to a USB so i could put it on the Acer. It told me to reboot the Laptop with the disk in the drive and follow the instructions to get the USB start up creator so i could make a boot up disk for the Acer. When i did this something went wrong with it. Windows worked last night but today nothing. I cant even get it to boot in safe mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yea to get it from the web on to the laptop then to a USB so i could put it on the Acer. It told me to reboot the Laptop with the disk in the drive and follow the instructions to get the USB start up creator so i could make a boot up disk for the Acer. When i did this something went wrong with it. Windows worked last night but today nothing. I cant even get it to boot in safe mode.

Have you got your Windows CD? You cant have physically broken anything, so if all else fails you can reinstall windows. Although there are some other things to try first, best go to the Windows forum for help.

To create a Ubuntu bootable USB Thumbdrive, I would just download the normal ISO, and then use Unetbootin to create the bootable thumbdrive. Takes literally a minute or two. I dont really know what way you've tried to do it there, but good luck fixing it :D

nastysimon wrote: »
    GLS, today after ordering on Tuesday.

Just got it now and using the cute bundled Linux OS now to post - now to download a distro with XBMC :)

Have you got your Windows CD? You cant have physically broken anything, so if all else fails you can reinstall windows. Although there are some other things to try first, best go to the Windows forum for help.

To create a Ubuntu bootable USB Thumbdrive, I would just download the normal ISO, and then use Unetbootin to create the bootable thumbdrive. Takes literally a minute or two. I dont really know what way you've tried to do it there, but good luck fixing it :D

cheers for that, i picked up the Aldi dvd drive and got a loan of another laptop to download the new ubuntu so fingers crossed i dont wreck anymore PC's :D

Cant find the windows disks and heaven knows ive gotten about 4 of them in recent years they have to be here somewhere.

• Advertisement

I order this Kingstone 2GiB module, I know I could of got cheaper but wanted to order the lot together {I got a keyboard, wireless mouse and SATA caddy as well}.
    Redisle wrote: »
    So what memory are people using to upgrade? Im debating getting just 2gb or going for the full 4.. the price really starts going up at 4gb. This is the cheapest (branded) memory I can find, anyone else do better?

For anybody looking to replace the version of Linux on their box the fastest way is to download the .iso to either the Acer or another PC/Laptop {running either Linux or Windows} and use Unetbootin.

It's very straight forward to use and will convert 99% of .ISOs's into USB bootable images :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Ordered mine on Wednesday, got a mail saying the order was cancelled. Re-ordered on Thursday got a mail today saying it was shipped. didn’t change any address. It’s a pure random thing.

Cant wait for it to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 robertod

kerbdog wrote: »
    Just got it now and using the cute bundled Linux OS now to post - now to download a distro with XBMC :)

Kerbdog,

Could you point me to a good location to get Linux bundled with XBMC? I currently have XBMC installed on an Xbox but am thinking of getting the Revo to use XBMC on instead. Thanks.

Have never used Boxee, only really heard about it through reading this thread? Can anyone tell me how it compares to XBMC in terms of features and performance? Can it be skinned as XBMC can? Thanks all.

After many hours (i'm not great on Pc's but i am stuburn) I got the laptop back had to do a full wipe so lost every sinlge file and applications i had(remembers all those times i clicked to turn off the warning to back up my machine saying ah ill do it next week) , and I got ubuntu installed on the Acer.

Only to find out Autocad doesnt work with Linux anyway so the whole thing was a giant waste of time as i have to go buy windows anyway now. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Does anybody feel the 3610 is worth the extra €150 odd, with the extra RAM and windows 7? Given I'd have to buy Win 7 anyway, but was looking at the 3600 as soley for HTPC purposes, nothing else.
    Just reading some of the earlier reports saying people had issues playing some files? So wondering if the extra "oomph" is worth it or not?

After many hours (i'm not great on Pc's but i am stuburn) I got the laptop back had to do a full wipe so lost every sinlge file and applications i had(remembers all those times i clicked to turn off the warning to back up my machine saying ah ill do it next week) , and I got ubuntu installed on the Acer.

Only to find out Autocad doesnt work with Linux anyway so the whole thing was a giant waste of time as i have to go buy windows anyway now. :o

You can download an application called 'Wine' which behaves like an emulator- and allows you to use your Windows programmes in Linux. Autocad works this way.

robertod wrote: »
    Kerbdog,

Could you point me to a good location to get Linux bundled with XBMC? I currently have XBMC installed on an Xbox but am thinking of getting the Revo to use XBMC on instead. Thanks.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc/files/XBMC%20Live/Babylon%20-%209.04/XBMC_Live-9.04.1.zip/download

Grab that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wbstrn

kerbdog wrote: »

Or you could try this post from lifehacker.com. It's a very good rundown on how to get XBMC running on the Revo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Hi,

Can someone who has got this tell me what emails they received when they ordered via Google Checkout? I ordered on Thursday evening but so far I have only got one email, from Google Checkout itself, nothing from ebuyer themselves. The status link inside the GC email leads to a page showing status "not shipped yet". The delivery info is shown as

Shipping & Handling (Wed 4th Nov 2009 (Delivery to EIRE)) : £9.99

Does this all sound ok?

Thanks,
    c

Advertisement