Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Mail go for Gately

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

irishbird wrote: »
    she was only saying what everyone was thinking
    Narrow minded idiots are not "everyone"!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Warfi wrote: »
    So everyone thinks that Stephen Gately died because he was gay and married?

That's the sentiment I've picked up from Jan Moir's article

no everyone was thinking its a very strange situation, why would you allow your husband to share a bed with someone else when you sleep on the sofa in your p's? there is no way i would allow that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

They released a statement during the week saying the friend was in the spare room. No one but those two know really so we can't say what room the friend was in or what they got up to that night. Not that it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

no everyone was thinking its a very strange situation, why would you allow your husband to share a bed with someone else when you sleep on the sofa in your p's? there is no way i would allow that

I actually did that my OH and his friend were in one room and I stayed on the sofa as I had flu and couldn't bear being around anybody. But that's too clean cut for you no? You prefer to imagine scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

You should write for the mail Irishbird.

Not that I ever would or did, but I am gonna do my level best to continue to stop people buying that heap of anti-irish shiite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

If that's the only sentiment you picked up from Moir's article, I'm surprised. It's quite obvious to me, from her article, that she harbours a distrust of homosexuals and civil ceremonies, and she used Stephen Gately's death to spread her warped opinion.

I think what has disgusted people most is that she has used his death for an anti-homosexual tirade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

she was only saying what everyone was thinking

Infracted. Stop trolling.
    If that's what you're thinking you're a bigotted tool.

Banned.
    MikeySligo wrote: »
    Fixed your post for you there.

Infracted.
    Kiera wrote: »
    Narrow minded idiots are not "everyone"!

Infracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

At least arm yourself with the facts before spouting rubbish. If you have ever had a friend stay over at your house, would it be fair for someone to say that that friend was sleeping with your husband with absolutely no evidednce for that? Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Are you kidding? The Mail will be soaking up this kind of publicity with delight. People love controversy and that's what they play to.

I'm not so sure. The Sun newspaper are still suffering from the fallout of the Hillsborough article that they ran after the disaster. People in Liverpool still boycott the paper to this day.

Well done.

• Advertisement

Unlocked once more. Be good. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

walshb wrote: »
    Notice I said drink, and not, Stephen died because he was gay.

That article never ever claimed he died due to him being gay and anyone
    who is inisting this is over sensitive or illiterate

This is what she said:
    Another real sadness about Gately's death is that it strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships.

Gay activists are always calling for tolerance and understanding about same-sex relationships, arguing that they are just the same as heterosexual marriages. Not everyone, they say, is like George Michael.

Of course, in many cases this may be true. Yet the recent death of Kevin McGee, the former husband of Little Britain star Matt Lucas, and now the dubious events of Gately's last night raise troubling questions about what happened.

She may not have used the exact words "he died because he was in a civil partnership" but she sure came close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Another spew of tripe from the xenophobic, homophobic Daily Mail. Dancing on a man's grave like that. Absolute disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

eightyfish wrote: »
    Another spew of tripe from the xenophobic, homophobic Daily Mail. Dancing on a man's grave like that. Absolute disgrace.

Does anyone actually buy that 'paper' ??

Good for somethings though....... ;

no-toilet-paper.jpg

Jan Moir has every right to express her views about homosexuality. But to use Stephen Gately's death as 'proof' and excuse to point out that homosexuality is 'wrong' is callous, cold, ignorant, disgusting, despicable....and I've run out of words! Where's a decent writer when you need one?!!*

*Jan Moir and Daily Mail editor need not apply

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

From Derren Brown's blog this morning.
    Yesterday, first-hand, I saw Twitter achieve two apparent results for civility. In the morning, I posted a tweet drawing attention to an online report of a tube official seemingly humiliating an elderly passenger who had his arm caught in a door. A little while later I RTd (’re-tweeted’: passed on) Charlie Broker’s strongly-worded thoughts on Jan Moir’s unpleasant article of dailymailia. The latter was then picked up by Stephen Fry, and by the end of the day it had gained such widespread awareness that both stories had made the evening news. The tube official was investigated under pressure from Boris Johnson and received a suspension, and Moir issued a statement saying she was a victim of an orchestrated campaign.
    Moir’s interpretation was wrong, and betrays a misguided notion about the nature of Twitter and similar forms of networking. There is no orchestration – just the rapid spread of information. Tweets (posts) are passed on, word gets around, and when a Twitter giant like Stephen Fry mentions it, a million people hear and many pass it on themselves. The response to Moir’s article came from areas much further than the Twittersphere, and although the accusation made was one of homophobia, her critics were not defined by sexuality. Ads were withdrawn from her online article, a strong critical voice was heard, and the Daily Mail became mortal for half a day. If the Mail exists to motivate the small-minded complaining communities of outraged middle England, for once it had a clear voice of outrage hurled back at it.
    I hope that the tube official was fairly investigated and deserves his suspension. And that the complaints lodged against Moir have a worthwhile effect. As vast numbers shun print and turn to the net for their news, yesterday sounded an interesting note: an infamous newspaper held to account by a sharp, informed, conscientious public. It may even be a first. I did not know Gateley, but there was time when he feared the press ‘outing’ him. If his passing has caused this familiar form of mawkish, snide journalism to be held to account, then perhaps we could see that as a tribute to him. And to the astonishing impact of Twitter, and the shared decency of its users.
    DBx

Sums alot of it up pretty well I think.

Troubling questions she says?
    I'll give that wagon some troubling questions to answer.

From Derren Brown's blog this morning.

Sums alot of it up pretty well I think.

I love Stephen Fry but was quite surprised by what he wrote on twitter. I thought he'd have more class, although it's probably fair to say his was a knee jerk reaction.

Derren Brown has done an excellent job of conveying his opinion while keeping his cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The Uk's Press Complaints Commission's website crashed yesterday due to the volume of complaints, over 1000 as of last night. Marks & Sparks has demanded its advert be moved away from the article.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/call-to-boycott-paper-over-vile-slur-on-singer-1916672.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

john-joe wrote: »
    Does anyone actually buy that 'paper' ??

I bought it once for a free David Attenborough DVD and immediately felt guilty.

(Because of the articles. The DVD was excellent.)

• Advertisement

The guy is has just been buried, what a shame that people should make such comments when his family & friends have to deal with burying their loved one.

His sexuality has nothing to do with his death, more the rag newspapers (including) some irish editions have nothing else to write about at present! :mad:

I see the News of the world have reported on the funeral today.....

No queer bashing or scaremongering :o

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/552585/Stephen-Gately-funeral.html

eightyfish wrote: »
    I bought it once for a free David Attenborough DVD and immediately felt guilty.

(Because of the articles. The DVD was excellent.)

Yeah only good thing about it!

Good DVD though......

Warfi wrote: »
    Derren Brown has done an excellent job of conveying his opinion while keeping his cool.

Derren Brown said she was walking the tight rope between bitch and c*nt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Stark wrote: »
    Derren Brown said she was walking the tight rope between bitch and c*nt...

That is keeping his cool imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I thought he retweeted that from someone else?

Piste wrote: »
    I thought he retweeted that from someone else?

Yeah, I think it was the genius that is Charlie Brooker who said it first. I mean seriously, why would a magician make a circus-related joke? They're like mortal enemies.

Ah yes he did. Unless I'm missing something, I thought Stephen Fry's comments were of a similar tone though?

Ah yes he did. Unless I'm missing something, I thought Stephen Fry's comments were of a similar tone though?

Similar tone to what?

Maybe it would help if you posted the exact tweet by Stephen Fry that you're referring to.

• Advertisement

Maybe it would help if you posted the exact tweet by Stephen Fry that you're referring to.

It's on page 7, post 96.

It'd probably help also if you posted the tweet by Stephen Fry that you're referring to too.

Advertisement