Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Mail go for Gately

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Morlar wrote: »
    When a celebrity dies there is speculation over what caused it, specially if they died young. Get over it.

Except she doesnt speculate. Speculating involves some kind of reasoning based on some kind of evidence, albeit inconclusive evidence. She engages in puerile innuendo based on nothing more than her own prejudices.

For instance, if I saw you go back into your house with two mates of yours, a 2L of coke and a DVD casing, I might speculate that you and your friends were going to enjoy an evening of mindless light entertaiment with some snacks. She would suggest that you were going to spend the evening smoking drugs (using half the 2 litre as a home made bong), followed by watching illegal child porography and engaging in high-risk gay sex threesomes, using the lid of the 2 litre as a sexual aid.

Can you see the difference?

Dont even try and defend this woman; its dishonest cowardly gutter journalism of the worst kind and those who lend it credence are almost as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

drkpower wrote: »

Dont even try and defend this woman; its dishonest cowardly gutter journalism of the worst kind and those who lend it credence are almost as bad.

+100000000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

watching illegal child porography and engaging in high-risk gay sex threesomes,

Ahem. Once more for the retards. . . . . .

When a celebrity dies very young, it is *not* unusual for there to be media speculation over their death. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

“The sight of Jan Moir’s weird face in today’s Daily Mail was deeply shocking. It wsn’t just that another hate-filled, frothing journobot was as ugly outside as in.

Through the recent travails and sad deaths of Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger and others, fans know to expect the expected of low-rank journalists- that the moment someone a bit famous drops off the twig, a weird face like Jan’s will start flapping on about how there’s more to it than meets the eye and making prurient , twitchy, offensive speculations dressed up as moral weariness.

Now look- don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against Jan Moir’s weird face. Some of my best friends are Jan Moir’s weird face, although I wouldn’t let it adopt children as they might be bullied. But let us be absolutely clear about this. Normal faces don’t wake up in the morning looking like that. Whatever happened between Jan Moir and her weird face is anyone’s guess. But it strikes a blow against the happy-ever-after myth of loathsome gutter journalism spewed by people with weird faces.”

Bit of a low blow on my part, huh? After all, the poor woman can’t help the way she looks (which, by the way, is HORRIBLE). But if the horrible, upsetting death of a 33 year old man can be poked and pried into in order to further a slimy, bigoted agenda, I don’t see why I shouldn’t point out that the person doing the sliming has a horrible, upsetting face. Moir and her like argue that celebrities forfeit some of their right to privacy when, through their courting of publicity, they ask for our attention. Well, by the same token, Moir has forfeited her right to me not commenting on her weird face by putting a picture of it on the internet. Oh, and by indulging in net-curtain gossiping about someone who never did her (or, so far as we know, anyone) a moment’s harm, before his young body is even cold.

And in many ways, she got off lightly. I could have concentrated on the even more spectacular ugliness of her soul.
    Via Stepheb Fry @ Twitter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

When a celebrity dies very young, it is *not* unusual for there to be media speculation over their death. Get over it.

You wriite for the daily maiil too? Love the offensive language
    She was casting aspersions on him his lifestyle and homoseluals in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You seem to have missed where she ignored the postmortem results to get her digs in. "speculation" was what went on before the postmortem. She has it in for gays, for some reason. Its blatantly obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Moir has issued a statement defending her awful piece of trash peddled in the Mail.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=44483&c=1

She's squealing that there's an orchestrated campaign against her now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gambiaman wrote: »
    Moir has issued a statement defending her awful piece of trash peddled in the Mail.

Having no real defence is a defence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

gambiaman wrote: »

Lol, she is backpedaling at a furious rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Lol, she is backpedaling at a furious rate.

Is there any real proof that the man they brought home was a stranger?I heard he was a mate...also who said anything about either of them sleeping with said man?

Yes...trying to row backwards out of **** creek while denying she's in a boat....eg
    Stephen, as I pointed out in the article was a charming and sweet man who entertained millions.
    In the cheerful environs of Boyzone, Gately was always charming, cute, polite and funny.A founder member of Ireland's first boy band, he was the group's co-lead singer, even though he could barely carry a tune in a Louis Vuitton trunk.
    He was the Posh Spice of Boyzone, a popular but largely decorous addition.

..not quite the same, is it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you cannot post in this thread without resorting to digs and petty comments then please do not post at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If you cannot post in this thread without resorting to digs and petty comments then please do not post at all.

So this post here (which mine was a response) to is completely fine of course ? ? ? ?
    For instance, if I saw you go back into your house with two mates of yours, a 2L of coke and a DVD casing, I might speculate that you and your friends were going to enjoy an evening of mindless light entertaiment with some snacks. She would suggest that you were going to spend the evening smoking drugs (using half the 2 litre as a home made bong), followed by watching illegal child porography and engaging in high-risk gay sex threesomes, using the lid of the 2 litre as a sexual aid.

No digs or petty comments there at all no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Is there any real proof that the man they brought home was a stranger?I heard he was a mate...also who said anything about either of them sleeping with said man?

I heard him being described as family friend earlier the week. Whether he slept with anyone is nobodies business but theirs and I can't see what relevance it has to Stephen Gately's death.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

So this post here (which mine was a response) to is completely fine of course ? ? ? ?

No digs or petty comments there at all no ?
    If you want to discuss this further then drop me a PM. Please don't derail this thread any further.
    Fair warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭wonderingabout

I am actually losing faith in people. :mad:
    He's not even been buried & he's the subject of this vile article.

Just like Michael Jackson who had 'friends' sell secrets on him just days after his death.

Whatever the circumstances of his death, why do these people show such a lack of respect for stephen's family, friends and fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

'From Jan Moir via Twitter..." I will be appearing on C4 news tonight at 7pm to give a full apology for any distress caused as a result of my article"'

NO Jan you fat mess do not apologise for the distress, apologise for the comments you said and believe in. and the underlying agenda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Normally I`d expect this sort of tripe from the Sun, although it shouldn`t come as a big surprise that the Daily Mail has decided to officially join ranks with the gutter press. They`ve been heading that way for years.
    However, was just reading this article in the Guardian aswell, so they`re not getting away with it, exactly.

The Sun and The Daily Mail have high circulation in Ireland. They have a history of printing anti-Irish articles.

The Guardian, traditionally the most pro-Irish of the UK press since 1973, has the worst circulation here.

Work that one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The Sun and The Daily Mail have high circulation in Ireland. They have a history of printing anti-Irish articles.

The Guardian, traditionally the most pro-Irish of the UK press since 1973, has the worst circulation here.

Work that one out.

Doh! Easy to work out, first two are cheap and handy tabloids, the other is a artsy left wing expensive unweildy broadsheet (or was until it went all Berliner format).

• Advertisement

Work that one out.

People, in general, are thick.
    They love to recoil in horror at the nasty tabloids yet consume them in their masses. They relish the hand-wringing that comes from sensational reporting. The Sun sells well in Ireland because, although they'll never admit it, people like to be told what to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

People, in general, are thick.
    They love to recoil in horror at the nasty tabloids yet consume them in their masses. They relish the hand-wringing that comes from sensational reporting. The Sun sells well in Ireland because, although they'll never admit it, people like to be told what to think.

there's lots of "I hate the English" people buying The Sun and The Daily Mail.

yep, some people are thick alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I missed the C4 news, just caught the end when they showed a scan of the article.

What was said?

yep, some people are thick alright.

Especially the ones who haven't quite cottoned on to the fact that Sky, Sky News and the Sun are one and the same corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I think this is more to do with the contrast between the usual presentation of gay civil unions/marriages as 'child -adoption friendly' and 'just exactly like the heterosexual lifestyle' and so on, in comparison to the group sex, casual sex hedonistic side of things. Which of course also exsists in married heterosexual couples but perhaps not to the same extent.

The vile woman has no logic at all.

"Another real sadness about Gately's death is that it strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships."

- she says.

And then: "Gay activists are always calling for tolerance and understanding about same-sex relationships, arguing that they are just the same as heterosexual marriages. Not everyone, they say, is like George Michael."

So it's not gay activists who claim that gay partnerships are perfect (NO partnerships are), it's Jan Moir herself.

And then she goes on to disprove her own idiotic claim.

Nice thinking!

And the article is still promoted high on their home page. Surely it's all on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,183 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Kiera wrote: »
    Did you expect anything else from the Mail? They're a pack of scumbags in that paper.

Why? Becaues they say what others are really thinking?

Hey, maybe the article is too soon, but it is relevant and
    is being thought about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭john-joe

Especially the ones who haven't quite cottoned on to the fact that Sky, Sky News and the Sun are one and the same corporation.

and Kay burley is going out with the editor of the SUN, the would explain her pushing for answers to get tacky stories for her fella!!:mad:

although the SUN does have some good points mostly on page 3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I think no-one was surprised that the Daily Mail took a swipe at Gately, but I thought they would have let him get buried first.

Everytime you link to a daily mail story, twenty orphans get tortured. Why do people insist on doing it? The people that do are only slightly better than they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

walshb wrote: »

How is it relevant? What does his sexuality have to do with his death? As for what others are thinking...I've no doubt there's plenty of homophobic, bigoted opportunistic scum out there willing to jump on any tragedy they can use to further their own agenda, it doesn't mean it should be tolerated in this day and age.

Also, that wasn't a Derren Brown quote...it was this guy. Derren retweeted it from Charlie Brooker who retweeted it from the original fella.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

Yes, just as in various parts of the world, people really do wonder what it was like on Noahs ark and think that God created the world in 6 literal days. That doesn't make it correct, or make it probable or provable.

Advertisement