Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Mail go for Gately

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No we haven't!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

only kiddin;)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

That article is absolutely disgusting. I hope people refuse to buy that paper now and hit them in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd like to use this thread to have a go at Fiona Looney. Get down off your high horse you two faced horse tooth kunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

walshb wrote: »
    Why? Becaues they say what others are really thinking?
    No, I've no problem with the Daily Mail saying what stupid people are thinking - that's just part of life.
    Well, I have read the article again and I don't see what is so outrageous or inaccurate with it. It was a lonely way for a guy to die. Out of his head on whatever, alone while the "hubby" is in bed with another man. Sorry, but that's hardly everyday activity or a normal way to go. I can't understand why folks are dissing the paper over opinions and queries and questions that most people may be thinking. I fail to see where the author inplies that he died because he was gay. She is simply questioning the manner and circumstances surrounding his death.

Gay, straight or BI, folks die from all sorts of things
    Wasn't he on a major drinks session? Is this not true? Maybe it wasn't major, but I would say drink played its part,

Notice I said drink, and not, Stephen died because he was gay.

That article never ever claimed he died due to him being gay and anyone
    who is inisting this is over sensitive or illiterate
    Read back over your posts, seriously.

Bewilderment at a 33-year-old man dying suddenly is of course understandable - attempting to link it with a lifestyle he may have led/taking a swipe at civil partnership... is just the lowest of the low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

I can't understand why folks are dissing the paper over opinions and queries and questions that most people may be thinking.

Regardless of the fact that only a f*cking c*ck would hold the same opinions as Jan Moir, whatever happened to having a little respect for the bereaved family & friends who haven't even buried the guy yet.

Personally, I'd like to see Jan get seven bales of ****e kicked out of her rather than any kind of PCC action as she'll probably wear the latter as some kind of badge of honour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

harsea8 wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like to see Jan get seven bales of ****e kicked out of her rather than any kind of PCC action as she'll probably wear the latter as some kind of badge of honour.

I know what you mean, but I think even the most seasoned journalist knows that a line has been crossed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

In stark contrast an article from todays Irish Times about the inner city community the Gatley grew up in: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/1017/1224256878347.html
    In the past 18 months, €48,000 has been spent on the daily cleaning of St Laurence Place East to remove the results of anti-social behaviour before the youngsters start arriving for school across the street.

These setbacks have made the success of Stephen Gately all the more important for the area, according to local independent councillor Nial Ring.

“When they see someone from this area becoming famous, it really gives them a source of pride. His mother [Margaret] and father [Martin] are lovely people,” he says.

“When Stephen became famous, you’d have all the young ones coming down, asking ‘where does he live?’ And Margaret Gately would bring people in and show them Stephen’s bedroom. She’d say, ‘come in and have a cup of tea’ to the young ones, up from the country. So there was great excitement around the area. And now it’s important to people, out of respect to the Gately family, that the area is shown in the best light.”

This is the kind of tone a reflection that is befitting of the day of a persons funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

I agree with Jan Moir that it was probably lifestyle that killed Gately.

But probably not his sexual lifestyle, but more because of a partying and binge drinking lifestyle.

KetchupKid wrote: »
    The Mail is a rag and by all accounts Gatley seemed like a good bloke, but you do have to question his death. Yes, fit young people occasionally die due to sudden and unprovoked heart failure, but usually there's an underlying problem such as a heart defect or an abnormal heart valve, didn't seem to be the case with Gately, otherwise I assume this would have been reported.

Pulmonary oedema is typically due to previous cardiovascular disease and it would be very unusual for someone who wasn't sick and Gately was healthy and apparently very fit since he was dancing and performing on stage without any previous symptoms or complaints. Fluid can build up in the lungs for many reasons. This fluid makes it difficult for the lungs to give oxygen to the blood. The low oxygen in the blood and the fluid itself cause symptoms. Another cause is pneumonia, but this too should of had previous symptoms.

Now, fluid can also get onto the lungs via aspirating fluids. This can happen if someone is drunk and aspirates fluids while vomiting or it could also occur other ways!!. Now I know the family want and deserve their privacy, but just throwing out Pulmonary oedema as the cause of death with no other details is also a bit unresponsible since it could send fears and false signals to many.

As pointed I out earlier there was a genetic heart condition in the family, one from which his granny Gately died from at quite a young age, and with no previous health complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I am absolutely shocked and appalled that the integrity of a tabloid news paper could drop this low...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The editorial crew can't be very good judges in allowing the article to be printed in the first place. A head or two might be rolling when the blame gets bounced around the Daily Mail offices. I hope that there's an orchestrated campaign to reduce the rag's circulation, in the same way that Liverpudlians boycott The Sun..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

But probably not his sexual lifestyle, but more because of a partying and binge drinking lifestyle.
    Did he lead a crazy lifestyle though?

And what that woman was insinuating (actually not insinuating - saying) was that this apparent crazy, debauched lifestyle which she can't prove was because of his sexuality.
    I don't think I've ever heard of anyone dying suddenly at that age because of a party-hard lifestyle - unless they overdose.

There's more than just Moir to blame here though. The article had to pass through several channels after she hit "send" to her editor - can't believe it was approved for publication.

It's hard to credit she actually considers her points reasonable - I'm tempted to believe she was just real-life trolling. It's doubtful she had any idea of the scale of sh1t-storm she'd cause, but she must have known there would be a fair bit of a stir...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dudess wrote: »
    There's more than just Moir to blame here though. The article had to pass through several channels after she hit "send" to her editor - can't believe it was approved for publication.

All grist to the Daily Mail's mill. Everybody is talking about it, hitting their site and so forth. A sizeable proportion of their readership probably even agree with it.

If things get too hot, they can blame it on the journalist (reprehensible pond-life that she is) and even can her, despite the fact that they endorsed the article by running with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

See, I never once said his hubby slept with another man.
    I said they were in bed...

Maybe they did sleep, but I didn't say that.

So now you're trying to weasle out of what you stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The editorial crew can't be very good judges in allowing the article to be printed in the first place. A head or two might be rolling when the blame gets bounced around the Daily Mail offices. I hope that there's an orchestrated campaign to reduce the rag's circulation, in the same way that Liverpudlians boycott The Sun..

Are you kidding? The Mail will be soaking up this kind of publicity with delight. People love controversy and that's what they play to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Tbh, plenty of young people go to sleep and never wake up. I know that this wasn't Sudden Adult Death Syndrome but it does exist so maybe they should have had a bit of a longer think before saying something so ridiculous.

Also, the fact that they're even mentioning his marriage in that context is just so utterly homophobic and unnecessary. I hope somebody rams several copies of that newspaper up the respective holes of everyone at the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Are you kidding? The Mail will be soaking up this kind of publicity with delight. People love controversy and that's what they play to.

They've come up with some real howlers in the past, but I don't recall them being in this much sh1te over them. With companies like M&S, Nestlé etc, issuing announcements criticising prejudice, and asking for their ads not to be shown anywhere on the offending webpage, there are bound to be rumblings amongst shareholders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

At least there are less people in this country today who will support her homophobic bile. Moir is going to really get it from stonewall( the UK group for equality and justice for lesbians) in the coming days. I'm not sure that's the best aproach. Better just to ignore her and not give her what she wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Does Jan Moir remind anyone else of Doloures Umbridge from Harry Potter? Just from her writing that is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Not much to say except to add to my disgust at the article, was talking to my husband about it and I do not normally curse but I am very angry with the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Just watching the funeral on Sky News....Keith Duffy has paid a fantastic tribute to Stephen Gately

(although he made a small slip at one stage when he said that Stephen loves Mickey, short pause, Mouse :o)

all the band members are paying tribute....Dublin wit is very much in evidence : )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

First, how do you know he had a "partying and binge drinking lifestyle", or at least any more than the average Irish 20 or 30-something?

Second, can you tell us how that 'lifestyle', if it did exist, caused his death? And try and be specific about how you have come to this medical conclusion?

I am doubtful you will be able to answer any of these questions. Because you, no different to Jan Moir, arre merely using your own prejudices, rather than any actual evidence, to come to you errant conclusions. And that is pretty shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

no matter how he died its a tragic loss of a young life

RIP

Warfi wrote: »
    Just watching the funeral on Sky News....Ronan Keating has paid a fantastic tribute to Stephen Gately

(although he made a small slip at one stage when he said that Stephen loves Mickey, short pause, Mouse :o)

all the band members are paying tribute....Dublin wit is very much in evidence : )

It was Keith, oh god I nearly fell off the couch laughing....tributes were lovely, really lovely....

It was Keith, oh god I nearly fell off the couch laughing....tributes were lovely, really lovely....

Yeah just realised!! Just heard Ronan there now, poor guy was heartbroken

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

she was only saying what everyone was thinking

irishbird wrote: »

If that's what you're thinking you're a bigotted tool.

So everyone thinks that Stephen Gately died because he was gay and married? This is the sentiment I've picked up from Jan Moir's article. I certainly do not think Stephen Gately died because he was gay and married. I'm no doctor, and I'm going out on a limb here, but I believe he died because he's mortal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

she was only saying what every silly heartless selfish kunnt was thinking

Fixed your post for you there.

Advertisement