Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Mail go for Gately

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Just like the Brand/Ross affair - a few complaints from actual listeners (2 in week after broadcast) then when this is publicised, all the Brand/Ross haters jump on bandwagon and complain hence many times more complaints (38,000). So these 38,000 get to deprive those that enjoy Ross every Friday night (average 3.5m) for many weeks.

This time 1,000 becomes 21,000 complaints. Even so, 21,000 out of circulation of over 2 million papers - does the other 2 million people approve of such articles?!?.

Hey those ratios above are similar

38,000 : 3,500,000

21,000 : 2,000,000

Is that the crank ratio in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

The Irish Daily Mail is trying to pretend its completely independent of the UK version despite being owned by it and sharing a vast quantiy of material:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/oct/20/jan-moir-irish-daily-mail
    The Irish Daily Mail has attempted to distance itself from the Jan Moir's controversial column about the death of Stephen Gately, claiming it is "independent" of the UK edition of the paper.

Moir's column, which had prompted 22,000 complaints to the Press Complaints Commission by yesterday evening after she wrote that Gately's death "strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships", was not published in the Irish Daily Mail on Friday.

The Irish Mail on Sunday carried four pages of coverage on Gately's funeral in Dublin and printed a disclaimer, as did the Irish Daily Mail yesterday: "Comments made by journalist Jan Moir about Stephen Gately in her newspaper column caused controversy on Friday. Jan Moir's column has never been published in the Irish Daily Mail which, like the Irish Mail on Sunday, is edited and printed entirely in Ireland – independent of the UK titles – and does not have an online presence."

Pathetic.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Miskatonic

Just like the Brand/Ross affair - a few complaints from actual listeners (2 in week after broadcast) then when this is publicised, all the Brand/Ross haters jump on bandwagon and complain hence many times more complaints (38,000). So these 38,000 get to deprive those that enjoy Ross every Friday night (average 3.5m) for many weeks

The ironic thing is, being ridiculously anti-BBC, it was the Daily Mail who jumped on that Ross/Brand story stoking up indignation amongst people who hadn't even heard the show and encouraging them to complain. They don't like it when they're on the receiving end.

I'm amazed that they have gotten away with printing the racist/homophobic/scaremongering rubbish that appears in that paper on a daily basis for as long as they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Since when is Gately's death a "matter of great public concern"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

herya wrote: »
    Kevin Myers

"Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate." - A.M. from, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Oh look, Myers jumping on a band-wagon. Whaddasurprise.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

i hate these papers, and would never bother to read them. however, i do think that this is another case where you can have free speech as long as you say what the majority expects/wants you to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

This isn't about "free speech". This is about a woman spouting out a load of BS, making all these wild insinuations and blatantly saying that his "lifestyle" had to do with his death...all the while completely ignoring the confirmed evidence, and coming up with her own crap.

Also the fact that she made all these snide remarks, rather than just come out and say what she really thought, everyone could see her for the cowardly yet conniving, sneaky bitch that she is.

She knew full well what she was doing...and thought she would get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

If she spouteed this crap about someone who was still alive she would have had the lawyers decend her. take every penny and kick her into the street where she would have being reduced to ****** ** ** *** **** for a fiver a time .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Moirs piece was lousy so was Myers.
    They both make a living slagging others off.
    When the table is turned they cry about free speech.
    A boycott is the best thing for this.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    If she spouteed this crap about someone who was still alive she would have had the lawyers decend her. take every penny and kick her into the street where she would have being reduced to ****** ** ** *** **** for a fiver a time .

I have no idea that those asterisks stand for, but I think a fiver is an over-estimation:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/02/13/article-0-0382A886000005DC-1000_468x347.jpg

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I wouldn't piss on this kunt if she was on fire, let alone pay her for pleasure. I'd rather try and bend my penis around and ride myself up the ass to be honest.

It's a shame Kevin Myers obvious hatred for Stephen Fry has led him to almost stoop as low as the bitsch from the anti irish rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

MikeySligo wrote: »
    I'd rather try and bend my penis around and ride myself up the ass to be honest.

That's very difficult, but it is possible. Don't be deterred by the pain. Go on my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

oceanclub wrote: »
    article-0-0382A886000005DC-1000_468x347.jpg
    P.

I'd hit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Aye, any port in a storm. And those conservative country English women are soooo kinky,.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Stark wrote: »
    I'd hit it.

With what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'd hit it.

Take the chance going for the head or stick with the torso shot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'd hit it.

with a fúcking crowbar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

What's the story with Myres? He's saying Jan Moir is entitled to her opinion, but for some reason Stephen Fry isn't? Can anyone explain how that works?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Quint wrote: »
    What's the story with Myres? He's saying Jan Moir is entitled to her opinion, but for some reason Stephen Fry isn't? Can anyone explain how that works?

Myers just likes to be contrary, nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I think he is looking for some internet fame. Nobody tweet him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Fluid on the lungs can occur for many reasons - I had it aged 32, I do not see why some people seem so obsessed with it, it happens and it is absolutey horrible - I had it from pneumonia and and acute kidney failure after major surgery. While I had it I had to get my lungs drained 4 times an hour as they put a tube into my lungs which was unbelievably painful and still gives me nightmares (as it does my husband). Can people just leave the poor man to rest in peace.

If it was drained, that sounds a bit more like pleural effusion tbh which is a bit different (that's fluid in the sac around the lungs, the pleurae).
    Secondary to pneumonia, othe lung problems etc

Pulmonary oedema is fluid within the alveolar sacs of the lung itself.
    More a circulatory problem.
    Secondary to heart failure, treated with a diuretic etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Quint wrote: »

First, one must move the brain of the 'writer' to the buttock region....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

tech77 wrote: »
    If it was drained, that sounds a bit more like pleural effusion tbh which is a bit different (that's fluid in the sac around the lungs, the pleurae).
    Secondary to pneumonia, othe lung problems etc

Pulmonary oedema is fluid within the alveolar sacs of the lung itself.
    More a circulatory problem.
    Secondary to heart failure, treated with a diuretic etc. :)
    They put a tube into my lung to drain it, its not something you forget, much as you want to, it was a complication from a total oesophagectomy.

My best wishes go out to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

tech77 wrote: »
    Myers just likes to be contrary, nothing more.

+10000

Myers loves contraversy,he wants everyone to be talking about him like Moir. I doubt he actually believes a word of what he wrote, as with most of his articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

This sums up my views fairley clearly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

+10000

Myers loves contraversy,he wants everyone to be talking about him like Moir. I doubt he actually believes a word of what he wrote, as with most of his articles.
    You know this, yet still you post about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

dny123456 wrote: »
    You know this, yet still you post about him.

haha,touché!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

My issue with the whole thing is that basically Moir used Gately as a tool to beat all perceived "hedonistic lifestyle living" gay men with. I don't think it was personal against him - it was personal against gay men who she seems to think are all out drugging them themselves to bits and having sex with multiple partners. Had she removed Gately out of the article, sadly, such an offensive article would probably have received few complaints. People are only complaining because they perceive it as an attack on the dead singer, not the jibe as alternative lifestyles which is what it really is.

Advertisement