Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

TheChizler wrote: »
    Then compare that to the percentage of people who carry or even possess up to date street maps.

3 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

Another 20 minutes wasted this morning trying to find a business address in the vast industrial estate off the Ballysimon Road which is called "Eastway", "Rosmadda", "Delta", "Eastlink" or whatever you're having yourself. Roll on Eircode and the technology to use it efficiently!

I did a search on "Bill Seanad President" this morning and it would appear that the far more controversial Water Services Bill, 2014 was passed by the Seanad without amendment and went straight (well, five days minimum are required) for signature by Michael D......remember all the shenanigans in Finglas?

Perhaps we will have a launch next Monday so

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that committee room this afternoon.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Trouwe Ier wrote: »
    Another 20 minutes wasted this morning trying to find a business address in the vast industrial estate off the Ballysimon Road which is called "Eastway", "Rosmadda", "Delta", "Eastlink" or whatever you're having yourself. Roll on Eircode and the technology to use it efficiently!

I did a search on "Bill Seanad President" this morning and it would appear that the far more controversial Water Services Bill, 2014 was passed by the Seanad without amendment and went straight (well, five days minimum are required) for signature by Michael D......remember all the shenanigans in Finglas?

Perhaps we will have a launch next Monday so

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that committee room this afternoon.

Regards,

No need for flys :)http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/DVR-Flash-Committee4.htm

There's a very small attendance at the committee meeting...

Committee meeting over now. At the end the chairman said they would be forwarding a transcript of the meeting to the minister. So doesn't look like there will be any significant hold up. The Loc8 representative didn't look very happy at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

moyners wrote: »
    No need for flys :)http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/DVR-Flash-Committee4.htm

There's a very small attendance at the committee meeting...

Did he basically get a "ok thanks, we will keep your comments on file" response?

It seemed to be a nothing outcome?

• Advertisement

ukoda wrote: »
    Did he basically get a "ok thanks, we will keep your comments on file" response?

It seemed to be a nothing outcome?

Sinn Fein TD and Senator Barrett asked a few questions and made a few criticisms while openly admitting they didn't understand the issue. Fine Gael senator spoke mostly in favour. Loc8 guy made all the criticisms that have been made on this thread. The chairman picked a few holes in what he said but also said that none of committee members including himself had any expertise, then at the end said they'd forward the transcript to the minister.

That's my summary anyway ;)

Sinn Fein TD and Senator Barrett asked a few questions and made a few criticisms while openly admitting they didn't understand the issue. Fine Gael senator spoke mostly in favour. Loc8 guy made all the criticisms that have been made on this thread. The chairman picked a few holes in what he said but also said that none of committee members including himself had any expertise, then at the end said they'd forward the transcript to the minister.

That's my summary anyway ;)

I just caught the very end, and it seemed to be a case of summarising it like: "it's my understanding capita got the contract in 2013 and the postcode launches next month, but sur look, we'll send a transcript on to the minister anyway so it looks like we did something"
    That was my interpretation anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Listening to that committee meeting reaffirms my suspicion that Legislators and politicians in this country are simply Clueless. If O Mahony is going to be out canvassing near me you can be sure he will be pulled up on his frankly pathetic display as chairman of this committee. Id have to wonder if Eamann Coghlan has anything between his ears at all, showed no concept of even beginning to comprehend the issues here. He came out with "Sure ya cant trust GPS anyway...". Ya really do worry for this country with people like this making the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭plodder

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Listening to that committee meeting reaffirms my suspicion that Legislators and politicians in this country are simply Clueless. If O Mahony is going to be out canvassing near me you can be sure he will be pulled up on his frankly pathetic display as chairman of this committee. Id have to wonder if Eamann Coghlan has anything between his ears at all, showed no concept of even beginning to comprehend the issues here. He came out with "Sure ya cant trust GPS anyway...". Ya really do worry for this country with people like this making the decisions.
    Ha. That's very funny. :D That is Eamonn wearing his Athletics hat, as newbie runners with their GPS watches and gadgets are actually the bane of race organisers, the world over, with people wondering why their gadget is measuring the race long or short. GPS is actually not accurate enough for that...

Completely irrelevant to this topic, but that's where he is coming from :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

SpaceTime wrote: »
    On billpay those figures are already in the 90s due to subsidised upgrades.

The barrier is that decent smartphones are still expensive and very cheap ones tend to poor screens and sluggish hardware.

You'll see the prices drop as more Chinese brands enter and swallow up the lower end of the prepay market.

A high end smartphone will still set you back €600 without subsidy and beyond that for very high end.

To suggest that you need to invest that kind of money before a smart phone is useable as a sat nav is just silly. Maybe in the purchasing department of the civil service, but for Joe Soap it is very possible to buy a reasonably priced smart phone, either pay as you go, with a contract or second hand for under €200.
    I could go out now and buy one this afternoon for €100 or less that is perfectly capable in getting me around. Walk into any Tesco, pick up a reasonably priced smart phone with a SIM and some data, Bob's yer uncle 5 minutes later. From off the shelf to using the Sat Nav in 20 minutes.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=268

Or, if you DO want a very high end smart phone for €350, try the OnePlus:
    https://oneplus.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭_Puma_

plodder wrote: »
    Ha. That's very funny. :D That is Eamonn wearing his Athletics hat, as newbie runners with their GPS watches and gadgets are actually the bane of race organisers, the world over, with people wondering why their gadget is measuring the race long or short. GPS is actually not accurate enough for that...

Completely irrelevant to this topic, but that's where he is coming from :rolleyes:

Unfortunately he was not as nuanced as that. Came out saying he was using a GPS down in the middle of nowhere in Kerry somewhere and his GPS sent him off in the wrong direction in his in his opening statement. He seemed to be baffled by Delaney's report and came out saying sure why cant we just trust Capita. You would have to wonder who told him to attend the meeting.

On Twitter: Get Lost Eircodes are tweeting that there was a relevation today in the oireachtas that eircode had no legal basis. Did I miss something or is this more bull from them?

Also claiming in a tweet to Alex White that he instructed the senead to make no amendments and streamroll ericode through!

Are these guys for real.

On Twitter: Get Lost Eircodes are tweeting that there was a relevation today in the oireachtas that eircode had no legal basis. Did I miss something or is this more bull from them?

Also claiming in a tweet to Alex White that he instructed the senead to make no amendments and streamroll ericode through!

Are these guys for real.

From what I gathered, he was saying that An Post won a high court ruling previously which gave them a mandate to use their postal town system. He reckoned that Eircode didn't come under this ruling so could be challenged. I didn't really understand what he was getting at but I'm not familiar with that previous high court case.

From what I gathered, he was saying that An Post won a high court ruling previously which gave them a mandate to use their postal town system. He reckoned that Eircode didn't come under this ruling so could be challenged. I didn't really understand what he was getting at but I'm not familiar with that previous high court case.

So from that he thinks it's ok to tweet everywhere on Twitter that eircode has no legal basis.

I'll say it again, if loc8 put HALF as much effort into their own marketing that they put into this hate campaign against eircode, then the whole country would know about and be using loc8.

It's pathetic at this stage, he's gonna do himself more harm than good in the end

I actually cringe reading their tweets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

National Postcode System - Eircode: Loc8 Code Limited
    Mr. Gary Delaney: Since Loc8Code was delivered to the market in 2010, I have amassed a lot of experience in a coding system for addresses in Ireland.

I have prepared a very detailed analysis of Eircode, which members have in soft copy and which is also available to them in hard copy format. It is a very technical document.

Much has been made of the fact that An Post may use Eircode. It is my opinion that An Post will not use it much, although it may tolerate it, because Eircode does not fit with An Post's operations.

I will deal first with the issue of whether Eircode has legitimacy. I will not go into all of the detail. I have raised some topics in the analysis as to why Eircode might not have legitimacy, but one of the most significant is that Eircode does not conform with, or deliver, the definition of a postcode that is in the legislation, the Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Act 2011. I realise the Oireachtas is dealing with an amendment to that legislation at present, but we already have an Act which defines what a postcode in Ireland should be and Eircode does not fulfil that. The definition requires the postcode to define a locality.

I will make one more point before I conclude, if the Chairman does not mind. Much has been made of the fact that Ireland has non-unique addresses. This is a concern mainly for people who operate address database lists. The real problem in Ireland is ambiguous addresses. It is a different problem and a much bigger one. Everyone here has experienced the simple issue of standing in a busy street and not knowing which door is the right one. There might not be numbers on the doors, or an upstairs apartment over a shop might not be identified. The emergency services might be trying to reach someone who has collapsed and activated an alarm button. Eircode does not resolve the big problem of ambiguous addresses.

Deputy Michael Colreavy: Yes. I thank Mr. Delaney for coming before us. I know he has offered to attend on a number of occasions. Now that he is here, I was concerned for a while that we would not have a quorum. I am conscious that he has travelled all the way from Cork. While I have a little knowledge of this matter, obviously I do not have Mr. Delaney's extensive experience of this whole area. I have been asking questions because I have concerns about a number of aspects of Eircode. I have concerns about the cost of it and the value for money associated with it. I believe the solution offered by Mr. Delaney was free.

Mr. Gary Delaney: I offered the Loc8 code to the State free of charge on two occasions.

Deputy Michael Colreavy: I ask Mr. Delaney to talk me through whether he had access to the specifications or requirements when he made the offer. If he has the information, I would like him to talk me through what he sees as the difference between the proposed system and that which he offered for free. Can he identify any service benefits for the future offered by the Eircode solution that would not be available within Loc8Code?

Mr. Gary Delaney: Yes. Loc8Code designed a code that was intended to fulfil all those requirements and did so. The difference between Loc8Code and Eircode is that Loc8Code is intuitive. There are localities in it…. The other issue about Eircode is that it is totally dependent on a database which must be kept up to date.

Deputy Michael Colreavy: To my mind, this is crucial to everything. Mr. Delaney said he was happy that the system he offered for free could meet the requirements as outlined by the national postcode project board in 2006 and as requested in the tenders. He has commented that Eircode cannot. That is a crucial question that needs to be answered.

Chairman: Deputy, without prejudice, what I am saying is that I do not think any of us here, apart perhaps from Mr. Delaney, has the expertise to either affirm or contradict what he is saying. We quizzed the Department and other companies on this issue. Two of points made as to why the Eircode system should be used were that it was more suitable for a country with a more rural base - that was my reading of it - and that the British system was not suitable because the way in which houses are clustered is different here. I am not here to contradict anything because I do not have sufficient knowledge to do so.

Senator Sean D. Barrett: We have never had a proper cost-benefit analysis. The national post code document that the Department sent us on 19 November last is not adequate.

Mr. Gary Delaney: If one goes through the detail of this document, one will see I refute the suggestion that An Post will make meaningful use of Eircode.

Chairman: An Post was in. I note a quote from Mr. Liam O'Sullivan who stated:

Some of the questions were related to An Post. To confirm, we will be using the Eircode system in all of our mail operations. We have four large automated mail centres. We have in excess of 350 delivery units of various size around the country. We will definitely be using every element of the Eircode system in sorting letters, packages and parcels. Whether we sort them using machinery or by hand, we will definitely be using the Eircode system.

Senator Sean D. Barrett: For what it is worth, I have heard that the real aim of this is to identify people claiming the dole under two names, but that has nothing to do with postcodes.

Chairman: We heard from Tom Carr but we also heard from Nightline, which I gather had the opposite view.

Senator Sean D. Barrett: After Irish Water, we have to be really careful. If we tell every household in the country that their address has now changed to have seven characters of mixed digits and letters, it may be the last straw. People will say, "What is this? It is more madness."

Senator Eamonn Coghlan: I am quite confused; perhaps more now than ever before. I met a young man who works for An Post in Clifden and we were talking about the new Eircode system coming in. He said they will be depending on the postmen to clearly identify homes. I asked him what he meant and he gave the example that in a small area in Clifden on the same street, we have John and Mary Quinns at four separate addresses. I asked him how he knew which piece of mail was for a particular address and he said "Sure, after a while you kind of get to know their business and know which mail is for which address." I asked him how he knew which of four ESB bills was for each address. He said he did not but at least they go through.

Capita is telling us that this unique identifier in the last four digits is unique to each house. As far as I am concerned, this is fantastic as it will eliminate the Mary and John Quinn times four issue in one area.

Mr. Gary Delaney: Emergency services were mentioned. In one of the annexes to the documentation I provided to the committee is a document from the director of the National Ambulance Service.

Chairman: It states: "I would like to acknowledge receipt of your numerous emails in relation to the Eircode initiative... At no stage has the NAS or myself outlined that this system is the answer to all our needs in relation to rapid access to patients etc, however it is a mechanism that will assist and fill the void that exists at the moment."

Senator Eamonn Coghlan: Surely with Eircode, if I put in D21 US4 as the unique identifier, the system will have to be built into GPS for GPS to accept it. I am sure Capita Ireland, which is building the new system for us, will test that to ensure delivery to an exact address as opposed to a location within the vicinity.

Mr. Gary Delaney: The main manufacturers in the Sat Nav world, Garmin and TomTom, which do not rely on telecommunications have no plans to introduce Eircode. If they did at some point in the future, then the user would have to load a database. That would be facilitated but, as I said earlier, loading a database and keeping it up to date is not something we are good at. Garmin has locate code working, which can be used free in Ireland right now.

I was asked about the downsides. In annex D, I have listed a selection of thousands of locations in Ireland that will have no Eircode.

Chairman: On behalf of the committee, I thank Mr. Delaney for attending. It is my understanding that the Government awarded the contract for the postcode to Capita Ireland in 2013 and it is due to the launched in July. However, a transcript of this meeting will be forwarded to the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources.

Are these guys for real.

It's definitely a hate campaign now. The "Donkey" graphic is childish.

No minister can instruct either of the Houses of the Oireachtas.

There is a party whip system in place and most parties are pretty brutal in enforcing it as a number of members will have found to their cost.

if memory serves me correctly, because of Enda's largesse in appointing independent senators, the Government simply does not have a majority in the Seanad so even if it was procedurally acceptable to do so, they don't have the numbers....a simplistic analogy might be the Pope instructing the residents of, say, Lisburn to toe the RC line.

Senators would traditionally have viewed themselves as being more erudite and refined than the ruffians in the lower house and they wouldn't take kindly to an instruction like that.

To suggest that you need to invest that kind of money before a smart phone is useable as a sat nav is just silly. Maybe in the purchasing department of the civil service, but for Joe Soap it is very possible to buy a reasonably priced smart phone, either pay as you go, with a contract or second hand for under €200.
    I could go out now and buy one this afternoon for €100 or less that is perfectly capable in getting me around. Walk into any Tesco, pick up a reasonably priced smart phone with a SIM and some data, Bob's yer uncle 5 minutes later. From off the shelf to using the Sat Nav in 20 minutes.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=268

Or, if you DO want a very high end smart phone for €350, try the OnePlus:
    https://oneplus.net/

I'm not suggesting that.

I'm just saying most of the push tends to be towards iPhones and high end samsungs and HTCs.

There's a big change coming as more lesser known brands are appearing with highly usable android handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭plodder

It's definitely a hate campaign now. The "Donkey" graphic is childish.
    It's getting ever more desperate. Pity, because some of his observations are correct eg. the graphic that shows how Eircode meets not many of the original requirements. However, as another poster observed, I think yesterday shows how our politicians are either just not interested or are incapable of comprehending the issues. I suppose they were just going through the motions to an extent also, and must be itching to get off on their holliers. It has to be game over now, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

So where is this at now? 'Next month' is here now, & where are we? eircode.ie hasn't been updated in months. It's hardly going to be there next week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting that.

I'm just saying most of the push tends to be towards iPhones and high end samsungs and HTCs.

There's a big change coming as more lesser known brands are appearing with highly usable android handsets.

For sure. Also, most people don't pay 600 for their flagship handset, more likely they will sign up for monster contracts where they sell their soul to the provider for 2 years to have that top of the range phone. :D
    Personally I have an old HTC Sensation that a 12 year old would reject out of hand, but it works for everything so far.

• Advertisement

larchill wrote: »
    So where is this at now? 'Next month' is here now, & where are we? eircode.ie hasn't been updated in months. It's hardly going to be there next week?

From reading auto address's tweets, it's going to launch soon, they tweeted "finally it's launch month"

I don't think anything in the oireachtas will hold it up now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You will know when you get a letter in the post!

[Unless it gets lost]

For the benefit of anyone using the dark theme, I've stripped the formatting with a text editor (automatically). (the above post was unreadable due to black text on black background)
    National Postcode System - Eircode: Loc8 Code Limited Mr. Gary Delaney Since Loc8Code was delivered to the market in 2010, I have amassed a lot of experience in a coding system for addresses in Ireland.

I have prepared a very detailed analysis of Eircode, which members have in soft copy and which is also available to them in hard copy format. It is a very technical document.

Much has been made of the fact that An Post may use Eircode. It is my opinion that An Post will not use it much, although it may tolerate it, because Eircode does not fit with An Post's operations.

I will deal first with the issue of whether Eircode has legitimacy. I will not go into all of the detail. I have raised some topics in the analysis as to why Eircode might not have legitimacy, but one of the most significant is that Eircode does not conform with, or deliver, the definition of a postcode that is in the legislation, the Communications Regulation (Postal Services) Act 2011. I realise the Oireachtas is dealing with an amendment to that legislation at present, but we already have an Act which defines what a postcode in Ireland should be and Eircode does not fulfil that. The definition requires the postcode to define a locality.

I will make one more point before I conclude, if the Chairman does not mind. Much has been made of the fact that Ireland has non-unique addresses. This is a concern mainly for people who operate address database lists. The real problem in Ireland is ambiguous addresses. It is a different problem and a much bigger one. Everyone here has experienced the simple issue of standing in a busy street and not knowing which door is the right one. There might not be numbers on the doors, or an upstairs apartment over a shop might not be identified. The emergency services might be trying to reach someone who has collapsed and activated an alarm button. Eircode does not resolve the big problem of ambiguous addresses.

Deputy Michael Colreavy Yes. I thank Mr. Delaney for coming before us. I know he has offered to attend on a number of occasions. Now that he is here, I was concerned for a while that we would not have a quorum. I am conscious that he has travelled all the way from Cork. While I have a little knowledge of this matter, obviously I do not have Mr. Delaney's extensive experience of this whole area. I have been asking questions because I have concerns about a number of aspects of Eircode. I have concerns about the cost of it and the value for money associated with it. I believe the solution offered by Mr. Delaney was free.

Mr. Gary Delaney I offered the Loc8 code to the State free of charge on two occasions.

Deputy Michael Colreavy I ask Mr. Delaney to talk me through whether he had access to the specifications or requirements when he made the offer. If he has the information, I would like him to talk me through what he sees as the difference between the proposed system and that which he offered for free. Can he identify any service benefits for the future offered by the Eircode solution that would not be available within Loc8Code?

Mr. Gary Delaney Yes. Loc8Code designed a code that was intended to fulfil all those requirements and did so. The difference between Loc8Code and Eircode is that Loc8Code is intuitive. There are localities in it…. The other issue about Eircode is that it is totally dependent on a database which must be kept up to date.

Deputy Michael Colreavy To my mind, this is crucial to everything. Mr. Delaney said he was happy that the system he offered for free could meet the requirements as outlined by the national postcode project board in 2006 and as requested in the tenders. He has commented that Eircode cannot. That is a crucial question that needs to be answered.

Chairman Deputy, without prejudice, what I am saying is that I do not think any of us here, apart perhaps from Mr. Delaney, has the expertise to either affirm or contradict what he is saying. We quizzed the Department and other companies on this issue. Two of points made as to why the Eircode system should be used were that it was more suitable for a country with a more rural base - that was my reading of it - and that the British system was not suitable because the way in which houses are clustered is different here. I am not here to contradict anything because I do not have sufficient knowledge to do so.

Senator Sean D. Barrett We have never had a proper cost-benefit analysis. The national post code document that the Department sent us on 19 November last is not adequate.

Mr. Gary Delaney If one goes through the detail of this document, one will see I refute the suggestion that An Post will make meaningful use of Eircode.

Chairman An Post was in. I note a quote from Mr. Liam O'Sullivan who stated:

Some of the questions were related to An Post. To confirm, we will be using the Eircode system in all of our mail operations. We have four large automated mail centres. We have in excess of 350 delivery units of various size around the country. We will definitely be using every element of the Eircode system in sorting letters, packages and parcels. Whether we sort them using machinery or by hand, we will definitely be using the Eircode system.

Senator Sean D. Barrett For what it is worth, I have heard that the real aim of this is to identify people claiming the dole under two names, but that has nothing to do with postcodes.

Chairman We heard from Tom Carr but we also heard from Nightline, which I gather had the opposite view.

Senator Sean D. Barrett After Irish Water, we have to be really careful. If we tell every household in the country that their address has now changed to have seven characters of mixed digits and letters, it may be the last straw. People will say, "What is this? It is more madness."

Senator Eamonn Coghlan I am quite confused; perhaps more now than ever before. I met a young man who works for An Post in Clifden and we were talking about the new Eircode system coming in. He said they will be depending on the postmen to clearly identify homes. I asked him what he meant and he gave the example that in a small area in Clifden on the same street, we have John and Mary Quinns at four separate addresses. I asked him how he knew which piece of mail was for a particular address and he said "Sure, after a while you kind of get to know their business and know which mail is for which address." I asked him how he knew which of four ESB bills was for each address. He said he did not but at least they go through.

Capita is telling us that this unique identifier in the last four digits is unique to each house. As far as I am concerned, this is fantastic as it will eliminate the Mary and John Quinn times four issue in one area.

Mr. Gary Delaney Emergency services were mentioned. In one of the annexes to the documentation I provided to the committee is a document from the director of the National Ambulance Service.

Chairman It states: "I would like to acknowledge receipt of your numerous emails in relation to the Eircode initiative... At no stage has the NAS or myself outlined that this system is the answer to all our needs in relation to rapid access to patients etc, however it is a mechanism that will assist and fill the void that exists at the moment."

Senator Eamonn Coghlan Surely with Eircode, if I put in D21 US4 as the unique identifier, the system will have to be built into GPS for GPS to accept it. I am sure Capita Ireland, which is building the new system for us, will test that to ensure delivery to an exact address as opposed to a location within the vicinity.

Mr. Gary Delaney The main manufacturers in the Sat Nav world, Garmin and TomTom, which do not rely on telecommunications have no plans to introduce Eircode. If they did at some point in the future, then the user would have to load a database. That would be facilitated but, as I said earlier, loading a database and keeping it up to date is not something we are good at. Garmin has locate code working, which can be used free in Ireland right now.

I was asked about the downsides. In annex D, I have listed a selection of thousands of locations in Ireland that will have no Eircode.

Chairman On behalf of the committee, I thank Mr. Delaney for attending. It is my understanding that the Government awarded the contract for the postcode to Capita Ireland in 2013 and it is due to the launched in July. However, a transcript of this meeting will be forwarded to the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources.

Well, if it is deemed to have been passed by both houses when the Seanad session concludes at 17.00 today then, it is constitutionally possible for the President to sign it onto law “on the fifth day” which would be next Monday…..but I’m still not sure.

Lots more negative tweeting today.

Alas the link below does not work.

GCDC
    @GlenCDC
    Eircode - Roll Out Information - Glenamaddy

Thank you to Eircode for providing information on the upcoming roll... http://fb.me/2ABNr7glF

Lots more negative tweeting today.

Alas the link below does not work.

GCDC
    @GlenCDC
    Eircode - Roll Out Information - Glenamaddy

Thank you to Eircode for providing information on the upcoming roll... http://fb.me/2ABNr7glF

The Seanad shouldn't have entertained Gary Delaney's request to be heard.

He made a statement in there that eircode wasn't legal and then released to the media that there was "a revelation in the oireachtas today that eircode isn't legal" yes because you said it in there.

Thinks he's being clever, but invariably it doesnt look like it will make any difference to anything, apart from giving him something new to tweet about.

Although the funniest part of the whole thing is his quote in all the media "yes I own a geo coding company, but I'm appearing today as an expert and not out of commercial interest" LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

I see autoaddress.ie have a dummy setup which demonstrates eircode. It doesn't say anything about going live though.

I'd never have imagined some little technical thing like this could cause so much controversy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The Seanad shouldn't have entertained Gary Delaney's request to be heard.

He made a statement in there that eircode wasn't legal and then released to the media that there was "a revelation in the oireachtas today that eircode isn't legal" yes because you said it in there.
    That's democracy. IMO the Dail should have asked him to speak at the committee stage, and also a rep from Capita should have spoken.
    Most of these TD's and Senators are floundering around in the dark; by their own admission they don't understand the technical details, yet they go ahead and vote on it anyway.

Gary Delaney has made a fair point that your legal address is still the one given to you by An Post, not the one in the eircode database.

The TD's could easily have sorted that out by inserting into an amendment something simple such as "the unique address as listed in the postcode provider's database shall be considered the legal address of the property".
    That would then override the previous High Court ruling involving Comreg and An Post.

But unfortunately, that would require them to be clued in and know what was going on.

This little issue now has all the makings of a legal loophole, which could in the future be exploited by somebody not wanting to pay their property tax water charges, or some other bill.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Gary Delaney has made a fair point that your legal address is still the one given to you by An Post, not the one in the eircode database.

The TD's could easily have sorted that out by inserting into an amendment something simple such as "the unique address as listed in the postcode provider's database shall be considered the legal address of the property".
    That would then override the previous High Court ruling involving Comreg and An Post.

Correct me if I'm wrong....but the eircode database IS An Posts address database, I.e. The geo directory which An Post were paid to make use of. Adding or removing a postcode doesn't effect or invalidate anyone's address, it's not mandatory remember

claiming someone could not pay tax or charges because of a postcode is a bit sensationalist to claim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement