Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options
1289290291292293295»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

ukoda wrote: »
    15000 per day for 4 months is nearly 2 million hits (excluding the surge at the launch stage) That's a lot of "curiosity"

But have you stopped people in the street and asked them what their postcode is?

Even if they knew it, it is just random rubbish. The most stupid postcode system on the planet. If you found anyone who knew their code, there is a high chance that they would be suffering from a certain mental disease, which I will not name. I don't wish to stigmatize mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Impetus wrote: »
    But have you stopped people in the street and asked them what their postcode is?

Even if they knew it, it is just random rubbish. The most stupid postcode system on the planet. If you found anyone who knew their code, there is a high chance that they would be suffering from a certain mental disease, which I will not name. I don't wish to stigmatize mental illness.

no, but it's on my 'To Do' list for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

ukoda wrote: »
    no, but it's on my 'To Do' list for tomorrow.

One is all ears for your independently verified results, which one expects to see here on Monday or Tuesday next week. Preferably include non-edited audio/video clips to confirm each interaction with a fellow human being.... to confirm their being able to cite their home postcode on demand.

One is all ears for your independently verified results, which one expects to see here on Monday or Tuesday next week. Preferably include non-edited audio/video clips to confirm each interaction with a fellow human being.... to confirm their being able to cite their home postcode on demand.

Oh yeah, I'll get right on that now don't you worry. I'll do a PowerPoint and all.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

While I have no problem with the Revenue and Gardai using the eircode ("inhouse) (the only two organisations that do so far as I can see)...

I'm getting really tired of you calling me a liar.

When you feel the need to fabricate untruths to criticise something, it really goes to show that you've run out of actual arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

which I will not name.

go on, name whatever it is you are ranting about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I know my own, my work's, my mum's, my girlfriend's parents', and a nightclub in town, after reading them once, what disease do I suffer with?

TheChizler wrote: »
    I know my own, my work's, my mum's, my girlfriend's parents', and a nightclub in town, after reading them once, what disease do I suffer with?
    I can only remember my own, but I have added the postcodes of others to my address book/contacts lists as my memory isn't that good.

The postcode is part of the address so I use it whenever it is provided.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have been thinking for some time of closing this thread because the title suggests that the post codes are to be introduced, but now they have - five months ago. See post #8715

Posters keep referring to the Loc8 which has nothing to do with this thread. see post #8723.

It is now getting a bit hostile between certain posters and that cannot be allowed to continue.

I think everything that could be said about the introduction has been said at least once, and the same suspects continue to battle from their entrenched positions.
    :Mod

Three interesting ideas have come up recently which could be spun out to new threads.

1. Alternative design ideas for a postcode for Ireland. See post #8701.

2. Implementation of Eircode. Who is using it and who is not. We already have a thread - An Post not using Eircode.

3. Another element being discussed is postal address vs geographic address. I think that is worth allowing discussion to continue.

I will allow the thread to continue briefly and then I will close it. If there is support for the idea of starting the threads above, I will transfer the relevant posts.

I would be in favour of number 2, a thread to discuss the implementation of eircode where we could post places we've seen it being used and updates on adoption of the code. That thread could be kept clean then of off topic talk of other codes or rehashed arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I feel the geographical vs postal address is somewhat sterile for now, as only time will tell if indeed, geographical addresses are irremediably affected by the adoption of Eircode.

The quicker adoption spreads, the sooner it will become apparent, but I would give it a year or two before it's talked about I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Accusing people of being mentally ill for knowing their postcode is not acceptable.

I know my PPS number, email name and password, boards.ie login, work login, bank account number, my landlords bank account number, the list goes on ... what is so outrageous about remembering a postcode?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

I'd be interested in all three of those options. For the sake of history, I think there should be a link to this thread from each of them in the OP. My 2c.

I have been thinking for some time of closing this thread because the title suggests that the post codes are to be introduced, but now they have - five months ago. See post #8715
    Maybe close this and have links in the final post pointing to the "offspring" threads.
    The postcodes have been introduced, so there is no point in discussing their arrival, as they're already here.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

plodder wrote: »
    I'd be interested in all three of those options. For the sake of history, I think there should be a link to this thread from each of them in the OP. My 2c.

I agree that it's time to close it down. I've followed and contributed a bit over the last 3000 posts or so and learned a lot.

But at this point the debate has gone silly with a lot of non-facts flying around.

And in terms of the code design we might as well be arguing about the relative merits of the Greek and Roman alphabets for representing the English language. I am sure there is an interesting debate to be had, but it was over about a thousand years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I know my UK postcodes, which have all had/have the maximum seven characters (the same as in an Eircode), and have known them since I moved to the UK. Are you suggesting I'm OCD or have Asperger's Syndrome or some form of Austistic Spectrum Disorder, the mental illnesses which you've alluded to but have been too cowardly to name outright?

PS: I also know my current UK mobile phone number and my last UK mobile phone number, both have 11 digits which, apart from the first two (all UK mobile numbers start with 07), are completely randomised.

Does knowing those make me mentally ill too?

Maybe you should bloody well apologise for even hinting that people who can remember a set of partially randomised characters are mentally ill and maybe you should take a good long hard look at this thread. Enjoy! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sam Russell: This is not a forum for trading abuse or for discussing health issues.

Thread closed.

I will move posts to new threads as outlined above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement