Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's Perceived Image

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

foinse wrote: »
    I really hope you're being sarcastic with that comment.

I really hope no one would have to ask if that was sarcastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Roadend wrote: »
    Kess, I have come to the conclusion that you cannot read or at least understand what you are reading so I can't really carry this on with you as its utterly pointless.

I was thinking the same thing, his posts are incoherent and just like ramble. Moaning and no solutions.

When somebody keeps doing this, people take less notice of them eventually. Otherwise you go down with them!

Kess the boat in your lake maybe sinking, I don't think Limerick city or the people want to go down with you. Your giving the city a negative perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mysterious wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing, his posts are incoherent and just like ramble. Moaning and no solutions.

When somebody keeps doing this, people take less notice of them eventually. Otherwise you go down with them!

Kess the boat in your lake maybe sinking, I don't think Limerick city or the people want to go down with you. Your giving the city a negative perception.

Limerick has a wonderful image all over Ireland.:rolleyes:

Yep moaning about it with no solutions, much better than pretending there is no problem and just sticking my head in the sand.

At least I give my opinion on it. To you and roadend, why not counter and say why things are so great without falling back on just slagging off my pov?
    Seems to me the only response you guys have is to say I am wrong, and have no arguement of your own as to why I am wrong in what I say about the city centre and the way it is in places.

I have tried to do something about the problems in my area by reporting crime when it happens, I have spoken with local councillors on issues, but now I know the right way is to just stick my head in the sand like you guys and look down on people who dare say that something may be wrong in the city centre in terms of social problems and in terms of retail/business issues.

Don't worry guys, Limerick is booming, the city centre has never been busier, crime has never been lower, and the city centre has never looked so great as a whole.

Roadend wrote: »
    Posting long winded personal opinion isn't going to validate what you are attempting to say either. I responded to a claim with facts, it was short and to the point as I didn't need to try and make my point more valid by putting lots of words together.

I'd like to add by the way that all the the non-Limerick people, of which I am one myself, in this thread that have come on said their perception was that Limerick was not a bad place.

What facts did you use? You said two people were killed in Dublin, wow great use of facts.

Long posts don't validate my opinion, it is simply my opinion. But the difference between you and I, is that I try to say what my opinion is, and I put it out there to be either agreed with or disagreed with. I rarely just put down someone's opinion without saying why I disagree with it.

I will leave that approach to you. Seems to suit you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Imagine if Limerick had a democratically elected mayor, imagine we all had the vote.
    Imagine the candidates were
    "Limerick is fine, sure Dublin is as bad" -Roadend
    "Dont slag limerick, yoru making us look bad, just deny deny deny" -Mysterious
    "Limerick has potential but is being destroyed by the scum, but I can see that and want to change it - Kess

I know who I would vote for....
    Kess No.1 !!!

At least he/she can accept we have problems and try to change it from within. Ye other 2 are typical of the biggest problem we have" This attitude of "Limerick is great, sure we have no problems, Dublin is worse. Sure its all Dublins fault anyways! And so long as we can blame the Dubs, we are cool. Dont tell anyone we have problems, ignore it and it might just go away"

Kess, you get my vote. Kess for Mayor!!!

• Advertisement

Liam79 wrote: »
    Imagine if Limerick had a democratically elected mayor, imagine we all had the vote.
    Imagine the candidates were
    "Limerick is fine, sure Dublin is as bad" -Roadend
    "Dont slag limerick, yoru making us look bad, just deny deny deny" -Mysterious
    "Limerick has potential but is being destroyed by the scum, but I can see that and want to change it - Kess

I know who I would vote for....
    Kess No.1 !!!

At least he/she can accept we have problems and try to change it from within. Ye other 2 are typical of the biggest problem we have" This attitude of "Limerick is great, sure we have no problems, Dublin is worse. Sure its all Dublins fault anyways! And so long as we can blame the Dubs, we are cool. Dont tell anyone we have problems, ignore it and it might just go away"

Kess, you get my vote. Kess for Mayor!!!

Yeah and I would make things worse by getting into pointless arguements with people :D

In fairness to the two lads that I am disagreeing with, I am pretty sure that if the two of them, and myself, all stopped being bullheaded about our own views, we would most likely find that we agreed on a lot of other things about Limerick.

I think there are a lot of great things about Limerick, but I do think it is some of the issues in the city and some of the issues in the suburbs that drag things down a bit.

Ok. It seems some people need to learn basics.

There are 95,000 people in Limerick. If they were all negative and were a bunch of moaners. It would be a pretty dreary city wouldn't it. Point number one obvious.

Now if 95,000 people were a little more happy, then the city would be a more pleasant place to live.

You make your reality. Sorry that I really have to get this retarded in explaining common sense to you both. So your choice is too keep moaning or do something with your reality.

If Limerick is so bad, Move out.

Kess73 wrote: »

I think there are a lot of great things about Limerick, but I do think it is some of the issues in the city and some of the issues in the suburbs that drag things down a bit.

Then come up with a solution to the issues. Limerick issues are nothing special. Every city has its problems. The real issue imo, is you make more issues out of it, because you focus on the negatives. Therefore your contributing to the issue not resolving it.

Always focus on your behaviour and contribution to society before you point to everyone else's backyard. The universe will worry about the latter. Your moaning is is getting you nowhere and as someone pointed out already becoming quite pointless.

Ok. It seems some people need to learn basics.

There are 95,000 people in Limerick. If they were all negative and were a bunch of moaners. It would be a pretty dreary city wouldn't it. Point number one obvious.

Now if 95,000 people were a little more happy, then the city would be a more pleasant place to live.

You make your reality. Sorry that I really have to get this retarded in explaining common sense to you both. So your choice is too keep moaning or do something with your reality.

If Limerick is so bad, Move out.

I take back about agreeing with you on something.

You are either very naive or ten years of age.

The stupid move out if you don't like it comment pretty much backs that up. Most people cannot simply just up sticks and move from an area if they are not happy with it. Glad to see that you must be in a position where you can simply move like that. No wonder you think everyone should be as happy as you. :D

If you ever are in town and see a bunch of scumbags acting up or causing hassle, please go over to them and tell them to be more happy or to be more pleasant, I will look forward to hearing how that goes for you. Or go to the family where the breadwinner has been let go and tell him or her to be a bit happier about things. Or to the guy whose house was broken into.

As I have already said in this thread and in other threads, Limerick has the potential to be a really great place and already has great points, but I am not so glib as to simply look at the good and try to ignore the bad that is also present. You and Roadend seem to want to ignore the fact that I have said positive things about Limerick and just focus on the negative things I said in this thread. Negative things which are present in Limerick in the real world, but negative things that those with influence could actually make an impact upon.

In the real world it is not a simple case of telling 95,000 to just be a bit more happy about things. Maybe you should take a look at your own grip on reality. Either that or start practising what you preach in the real world and try doing what I said to you about going up to a bunch and telling them to be more pleasant and happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Be happy

chavs.jpg

• Advertisement

Then come up with a solution to the issues. Limerick issues are nothing special. Every city has its problems. The real issue imo, is you make more issues out of it, because you focus on the negatives. Therefore your contributing to the issue not resolving it.

Always focus on your behaviour and contribution to society before you point to everyone else's backyard. The universe will worry about the latter. Your moaning is is getting you nowhere and as someone pointed out already becoming quite pointless.

Ok then so if we ignore the issues that Limerick has, they will go away. The universe will look after things. What laughable childish twaddle.

You should really sell that idea on a global level, because all the world's problems could be fixed if only that idea was taken up by all.

You are talking some of the biggest rubbish I have ever read on this site. As has already been said, this thread was meant to be about Limerick's perceived image and why people think it has that image.

I take it that Limerick obviously has no reasons for having that perceived image as it is only the likes of me with my moaning that imagines the problems in the city , and while you can take venting on a forum as being useless, it can be a good way for people to find out what the view of others are. Maybe it does nothing more than letting people get something off of their chests, or maybe it can spark something in a person's head for the next time they speak with an elected official or similar about something in their area they would like to improve.

Ok then so if we ignore the issues that Limerick has, they will go away. The universe will look after things. What laughable childish twaddle.

You should really sell that idea on a global level, because all the world's problems could be fixed if only that idea was taken up by all.

You are talking some of the biggest rubbish I have ever read on this site. As has already been said, this thread was meant to be about Limerick's perceived image and why people think it has that image.

I take it that Limerick obviously has no reasons for having that perceived image as it is only the likes of me with my moaning that imagines the problems in the city , and while you can take venting on a forum as being useless, it can be a good way for people to find out what the view of others are. Maybe it does nothing more than letting people get something off of their chests, or maybe it can spark something in a person's head for the next time they speak with an elected official or similar about something in their area they would like to improve.

First off, Don't insult me.

Second is you don't read your own post or properly read what other people have to say. Third and final point stop assuming and putting words in peoples mouth.

The only one who is ignoring reality is you. Nobody else.

I'm not venting. I'm pretty reasonable in my points. I don't need to get so hot and bothered about this. As an adult I'm aware of my own actions and responsilibilty and how I affect the world I live in by the attitudes and examples I project.

A place is just a place, it's you what makes a positive or negative experience.

The idea I given may have to be taken by all. But someone has to make the choice, It seems you have made up your mind and continue to whinge. So yeah your right the world has to make a decision, it has to start somewhere.

I will leave it here, because I'm beginning to see it's becoming a really silly rant going to nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

so if someone is wandering up and down William St. with a hunkydory grin on his face like an imbecile it makes that vermine hanging around at the bus stop spitting and insulting passers vanish?

and if people like me and kess just stop "moaning" (as you put it) here onthis thread makes the murdes undone? and no harm to any creature will be done in the future?

mysterious, you deserve a medal for posting the biggest bullsh*t in that thread!

on a side note: many many month ago i already said that this town is a scum infested shthole and i got tarred and feathered for that. but reading this thread now i am so happy that i left that sad place 6 month ago!

i feel very sorry for the people who are not able to leave...

I take back about agreeing with you on something.

You are either very naive or ten years of age.

God you really rub people up the worng way. I can see why the city gets a bad name. You sound like a really unhappy person. People who moan and insult others are unhappy.

Fact.

The stupid move out if you don't like it comment pretty much backs that up. Most people cannot simply just up sticks and move from an area if they are not happy with it. Glad to see that you must be in a position where you can simply move like that. No wonder you think everyone should be as happy as you. :D

No, it's stupid if you live here do nothing and still moan. That is when I think you should get up and move.

If you want to stay in this city. Do something about the problems.
    You and Roadend seem to want to ignore the fact that I have said positive things about Limerick and just focus on the negative things I said in this thread. Negative things which are present in Limerick in the real world, but negative things that those with influence could actually make an impact upon.

I haven't ignored any fact. I have said Limerick has problems. But I do want to point out yet again. There are not special issues. They are not extraordianary. Life is about choices. You make your reality what it is. You have the choice to detach from it if you can't deal with the negative problems around you. You also have the choice to improve the situation by creating more a positive reality.

In the real world it is not a simple case of telling 95,000 to just be a bit more happy about things. Maybe you should take a look at your own grip on reality. Either that or start practising what you preach in the real world and try doing what I said to you about going up to a bunch and telling them to be more pleasant and happy.

It is. there is an island in Greece that has 8,000 people. It has one police station on it. It has one incident of crime there in 30 years. A Teenager caused a minor crime. The reason there is no crime there is because people are positive and happy. They keep at this vibration because they respect and keep the positive reality intact.

It is that simple. I'm not saying that Limerick can achieve this in a few years. I'm not saying Limerick can become as peaceful. But we can make this a reality if we really want too. We are people and limerick is what it is because of the people.

so if someone is wandering up and down William St. with a hunkydory grin on his face like an imbecile it makes that vermine hanging around at the bus stop spitting and insulting passers vanish?

and if people like me and kess just stop "moaning" (as you put it) here onthis thread makes the murdes undone? and no harm to any creature will be done in the future?

mysterious, you deserve a medal for posting the biggest bullsh*t in that thread!

on a side note: many many month ago i already said that this town is a scum infested shthole and i got tarred and feathered for that. but reading this thread now i am so happy that i left that sad place 6 month ago!

i feel very sorry for the people who are not able to leave...

It seems bull****, because you don't want to face reality.

Reality is what you make of it. You also have a choice here. You can leave this city. If you choose not to then maybe you could take more responsiblity to making the city a more positive place to be. 15 years ago Limerick was a dreay run down city. But it didn't become more prosperous and modern for nothing. People put their efforts into improving the city. This is how it works. If you can't see that. Oh dear :D We have another problem stemming up in Limerick. Lack of awareness and basic common sense.

You can go into the city tomorrow and greet people more often. You can smile at people. You can go to the park and appreciate the scenery. You can thank the bus driver when you get off the bus. You can pick up rubbish off the ground as you walk pass on street. You can organise a community project to get people together. You can start a sporting event weekly. You can get into many things to make this city a better place.

I live in Dublin and I make sure I do these simple assertions everyday. It contributes to a recent poll as to why Dublin faired really well in a all european wide city friendly poll. Dublin came out on Top.

Or else we can sit here all day and moan about everything.

If this all bull****, then, don't blame me or the man next door that Limerick is the way it is:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

i dont want to face reality???? listen, i tell you something: i got thrown glass bottles after me by this vermin at the treaty stone just for walking the dog there, doing nothing else, minding my business!
    i got spat at for not giving a fecking dirty scumbag vermin a fag - i don't carry them because i don't smoke!!. ah sure it's my fault being an unfriendly person if i don't have fags on offer if i get asked by scum.
    i got verbal abuse by scumbags out of their car driving up charlotte quay - for nothing.
    i got hasseled at the canal bridge by drunken scum whilst having a stroll at the canal out to UL.

so -excuse my french- shut up and don't tell me to face reality!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I hate Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Reality is what you make of it. You also have a choice here. You can leave this city. If you choose not to then maybe you could take more responsiblity to making the city a more positive place to be. 15 years ago Limerick was a dreay run down city. But it didn't become more prosperous and modern for nothing. People put their efforts into improving the city. This is how it works. If you can't see that. Oh dear We have another problem stemming up in Limerick. Lack of awareness and basic common sense.

So the town isnt populated by scumbags?

and you second point? have you seen Patrick St? and the surrounding areas? the only business left open there are a kebab place, a sex shop, a costume shop and a place that sells bongs and crap for "entertainment" purposes:rolleyes: This is the first area a lot of people see driving into the city, it looks more like inner city Detroit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

krudler wrote: »
    So the town isnt populated by scumbags?

and you second point? have you seen Patrick St? and the surrounding areas? the only business left open there are a kebab place, a sex shop, a costume shop and a place that sells bongs and crap for "entertainment" purposes:rolleyes: This is the first area a lot of people see driving into the city, it looks more like inner city Detroit

Thats not Patrick street which has Dry Cleaners Polish shop the Bailey to name a few businesses its ellen street you are describing and if its the first place people see they are VERY lost.

Hard facts are that Patrick and Rutland street were bought with boom money and boom ideas both of which have now burst. Limerick has been a run down city before and come out of it and it will again

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lads, do the sensible thing and add Mysterious to your ignore lists. His/her optimism was refreshing up to a point, but at this stage it has reduced itself to misguided and naive idealism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

utick wrote: »
    obviously its not that 11 year olds fault going around threatning people with the gun, its because of the lack of facilities, we need to build a payground for children, give them something to do to keep them out of trouble
    like a shooting range perhaps:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

did anyone see what happened on shannon st late last night? talk about a waste of garda resources, 2 lads having a drunken scuffle, pulled apart by a few others, and in the end there were 14 guards,a paddywagon, 2 squad cars and 2 unmarked cars, they all spent a good 20 mins taking statements and then nobody was arrested, wtf, yet you call when someone breaks into your house and you might get a response in 2 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

anyone see the scum lowlife fighting out in the crescent today, and to hell with any bystanders. There were women with kids genuinely frightened, not sure what was going to happen. About 10 scumbags fighting inside the crescent just outside shaws. The gardai came along as usual scribbling in their f**king notebooks, and a few of the scum hanging around them talking. They should have battoned the k**ts, then asked questions.
    Meanwhile my dad gets a grilling off the gardai over a fine from nealry 10 years ago he got in the post recently. I dunno, but I think from what I've seen of the gardai in the last few days, they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. a more useless shower you could not come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

This city deserves a worse reputation than it has. I grew up in Limerick, born and bred, spent 18 years of my life here.

Got away to Cork to go to university this year. It is only when you do this, and you move away, you see how much infinitely better other cities are to Limerick. There really are so, so many scumbags around Limerick - its a problem that is only going to be solved with a radical social shift, and that is not going to happen, especially not when there are people trying to defend the ****hole that is Limerick 'city'.

*shudder*.

On the spot murders for people with stars or designs shaved into their hair. Only solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Liam79 wrote: »
    ah stop Foinse…as stabcity would say, he is prob a fine young fella just having a laugh…….!!:rolleyes::mad:

Liam79 you truely are a troll... Ban this useless name calling fool.

seachto7 wrote: »
    anyone see the scum lowlife fighting out in the crescent today, and to hell with any bystanders. There were women with kids genuinely frightened, not sure what was going to happen. About 10 scumbags fighting inside the crescent just outside shaws. The gardai came along as usual scribbling in their f**king notebooks, and a few of the scum hanging around them talking. They should have battoned the k**ts, then asked questions.
    Meanwhile my dad gets a grilling off the gardai over a fine from nealry 10 years ago he got in the post recently. I dunno, but I think from what I've seen of the gardai in the last few days, they are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. a more useless shower you could not come across.

It spilled out into the car park after the Gardai left the centre and left the scum in the centre. The scum went on a bit of a spree kicking mirrors off of parked cars and breaking car windows. So people who were just in the centre shopping will be coming out to find their cars vandalised and have no comeback on it.

The only positive is that they hurt no normal people whilst they were fighting in the centre, and I used the word normal on purpose because those scum are nowhere near normal. A few familiar faces in their pack too. They would be well known to people who work in the Crescent, and will most likely be back again tomorrow for another day of robbing because the Caseys and the Bolands can do what they like in Limerick.

I am sorry that they did not turn on the gardai though, because a few good hidings may actually force the gardai to start putting a few of them away. Fighting in a public place where it is all on camera is an arrestable offence, but instead our gardai just gave them a talking to.

i dont want to face reality???? listen, i tell you something: i got thrown glass bottles after me by this vermin at the treaty stone just for walking the dog there, doing nothing else, minding my business!
    i got spat at for not giving a fecking dirty scumbag vermin a fag - i don't carry them because i don't smoke!!. ah sure it's my fault being an unfriendly person if i don't have fags on offer if i get asked by scum.
    i got verbal abuse by scumbags out of their car driving up charlotte quay - for nothing.
    i got hasseled at the canal bridge by drunken scum whilst having a stroll at the canal out to UL.

so -excuse my french- shut up and don't tell me to face reality!!!!!!

Facing reality means.

You been aware of it and learning to shape the reality you want. Good or bad. Better or worse. You get into these situations from the point of attracting it. I know you wouldn't be able to see it this way. ;)

Oh and btw this kind of abuse doesn't grow on trees or is special to Limerick. It happens in Dublin too. Which is just......... weird.

Eh.

Take responsibility for reality. The world is a mirror. No matter what you believe these events to be the point is, The law of attraction applies in everything in life.

Jeebus wrote: »
    This city deserves a worse reputation than it has. I grew up in Limerick, born and bred, spent 18 years of my life here.

Got away to Cork to go to university this year. It is only when you do this, and you move away, you see how much infinitely better other cities are to Limerick. There really are so, so many scumbags around Limerick - its a problem that is only going to be solved with a radical social shift, and that is not going to happen, especially not when there are people trying to defend the ****hole that is Limerick 'city'.

*shudder*.

On the spot murders for people with stars or designs shaved into their hair. Only solution.

You certainly didn't leave the attitude in Limerick you brought it to Cork.

Bitterness takes you down. I sense it in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

mysterious, what do you make of the incident in the crescent you've read about above? should we hush it up and delete the posts in case someone rom outside the city reads them?

• Advertisement

My whole message got deleted so I had to start again.

I had an exprience a few weeks ago that I think would be great for this thread. I was on the Dart and Three adolescents male drunk teenagers sat where I was. I was absolutely dreading the journey when they sat where I was. In the beginning I was doing my best to Ignore them and just kept looking out the window and pretended I was not there. But I realised the more I did that the louder they got. It got to the point where they were wantng me to react.

So one of the lads started asking me random questions like do I drink, smoke do hash, and all that jazz. (At this time I was thinking inside I do not want to be here) I kept respectful and congenial. The more I spoke with them and actually took interest from their perspective. The more I realised they were really lost inside. This tough scumbag image is what we would judge them as because it's what they look like. But we don't know what goes on inside a person at any time.

So I got to the point where I knew something was happening to me as well. I started to become calm and more centered. So I wasn't feeling like I was in flight mode as we all do when we confront situations like this. So I asked them about life and what were their dreams. Trying to get them to speak about things. In the beginning they were laughing and closing off. One of three started to take a lot of interest in this and began to talk about a lot of great things. The other two were a little more flighty about talking about "real things"

They actually really started to open about things. Like what they did when they were young as kids. Like going fishing or out in the playground etc. I asked them will there ever be a time in your lives where you could say "I don't need drugs". to be happy or whatever. I was trying to give them a perspective and a thought that they never actualy thought about. Like doing bad stuff and creating a bad environment doesn't have to be the way.

In the end of the conversation. They calmed down, They started to show respect. They asked me to go with them for a drink But obviously I was not going to do that. In my final few words I said to them, why not go camping, why not do something fun, why not do something good, why not take a bus somewhere and go down the country, why not kick a ball around.

They immediately lit up in a way I knew something was clicking. They might not admit it openly but I could see it.

They are just lost and confused and have no confidence in themselves. This is why they turn to abuse, alcohol. They do bad things because they don't feel good inside.

You know if some people don't understand this message and think it's bull**** that's fine. But I think balance is more important than constantly been torn between who's bad and who's good. These are my opinions and my experiences I've brought here.

I would finally want to say is, we are all human beings and we forget this simple fact because we are to busy passing judgments!

Call me naive if you wil. But I feel good about knowing I have free will and make the best in what I create in this world. This world has given you choices to do good and bad. You choose what you do with your life. The universe will worry about the rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement