Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's Perceived Image

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

mike kelly wrote: »
    which parts are of the island are grand? are rents low there?

The island is a big area, from the sand mall to Georges Quay, and Absolute hotel to St Mary's Park, which covers Athlunkard street, St, Mary's street, the sand mall, Merchant Quay, island road, sheep street, the bad areas of it include Lee estate, and St. Mary's park.

The rest of the areas, tend to be decent elderly people just going about their lives. It's also the home to one of the most popular bars in the city....The Locke. it also has a private hospital which is reputed to have seen some famous people for plastic surgery. It also houses 2 of the biggest tourist attractions in the city, the castle and St Mary's Cathedral and is home to city hall and the court house.

Liam79 wrote: »
    ah stop Foinse…as stabcity would say, he is prob a fine young fella just having a laugh…….!!:rolleyes::mad:

I know poor fella prob didn't realise what he was doing/ had ADHD/ comes from a broken home/ enter bleeding heart reason here:rolleyes:
    So Roy Collins and Shane Geoghan were looking for trouble?

What a dense comment! Some areas are clearly more dangerous then others. If you go looking for trouble in downtown Johannesburg are you as likely to find it as in Zurich?
    Wake up people, Limerick has a real violence problem, far worse than anywhere else in Ireland.

Yes there is crime in Limerick, and yes there are social problems, Roy Collins went against them and stood up to the scum that are in this city,While i always advocate doing the right thing, the people who shot him obviously saw this as him looking for trouble, Shane Geoghan, was in the wrong area at the wrong time and looked like the wrong person. I've seen a picture of the person that they intended to kill that night, and there are similarities which would be enough for mistaken identity late at night.

I am in no way condoning these deaths and personally was abhorred to hear about them.

While i do agree that there is crime in Limerick, i do not agree that Limerick is a crime ridden cesspit. Trust me it is not. I have seen more violence on a saturday night out in Galway, than i have on a saturday night working in Limerick. Yes there are some nights when it's ridiculously busy, but on the whole Limerick is not all that dangerous a place at night or at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

foinse wrote: »
    the bad areas of it include Lee estate, and St. Mary's park.

how would you compare the Lee Estate to St Marys park? Is it as bad? Safe for a non-local person to move too?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Sweet mother of God :eek:

Boy threatens to shoot park ranger in packed playground

National News Home

By Barry Duggan
    Thursday September 24 2009

A PLAYGROUND in Limerick had to be temporarily closed after a child armed with a pellet gun threatened to shoot a park ranger.
    The young boy, who witnesses believe was no more than 11 years old, was pointing the pellet gun at children in the People's Park playground in Limerick city when he was approached by a park ranger.
    When cornered by the ranger, the child pulled the pellet gun from his pocket and pointed it at the park employee and threatened him: "I'll blow your f**king head off."
    The frightening incident happened last Friday evening when around 30 parents and children were in the city playground. The child ran from the park shouting that he would come back with his father to sort out the ranger.
    Many children who saw the episode were left in tears and rangers on duty decided to close the playground for an hour.
    Limerick City Council in turn reported the matter to gardai who are investigating.
    One father who was in the playground with his child and witnessed the incident said the pellet gun resembled a revolver.

Shocked
    "It was not like the long ones we had when we were young. He was going around like he was John Wayne," the shocked parent said.
    "After the young fellow pointed the gun at one of the children, their father ran after him and caught him. He then hid the gun in his pocket. The rangers ran over and were fantastic. They handled the situation well.
    "The kid then pulled the gun out of his pocket and pointed it at one of the rangers," he said.
    "He stood back like a young fellow who was well schooled -- he leaned forward and had the stance and said 'I'll blow your f**king head off'. He could have taken the ranger's eye out.
    "There was an eerie feeling in the park afterwards so the rangers closed the playground and ushered the parents and children home," he added.
    - Barry Duggan

No doubt there will be some tool on the radio or in the press who will want to make excuses for the young scum, saying he does not know right from wrong and that nobody was hurt. By the time they finish it will be the park rangers fault for scaring the poor little piece of scum out of the playground area.

Or we will have them saying this could have happened in Dublin and that will be their answer to it.

Sorry but this did not happen in Dublin and I really think there is something wrong when people can just not bat an eyelid at a kid carrying a weapon. Airgun today, Glock tomorrow.

I reckon the only lesson he learned from it was to shoot next time when approached.

Give that bit of trash a few years and he will be a lot worse and still walking the street despite having a string of convictions.

Maybe Limerick will get lucky and he will get hit by a bus and not live long enough to add to the long list of violent crimes and shootings that the city has.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

So Roy Collins and Shane Geoghan were looking for trouble?

Wake up people, Limerick has a real violence problem, far worse than anywhere else in Ireland.

The plumber shot dead going about his work innocently, the postman in a coma for the last 12 months in Dublin, to name but two, yes Limerick is far worse than anwywhere else in Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

how would you compare the Lee Estate to St Marys park? Is it as bad? Safe for a non-local person to move too?

No i would not say it is as bad as St. Mary's Park, but then again, it's a minority in these areas that is causing problems, Tourists often walk past Lee Estate, on their way to the castle, and don't usually have much problems, having said that there have been murders in Lee Estate, and also shootings, so yes it can be a dangerous place, however it is also a cleaner estate than St. Mary's Park, which is continually strewn with rubbish and animal sh1t, burnt out cars on the green area, cars and houses burnt, in the streets.

If someone was to ask me personally about moving to either area, i would swiftly direct them to another area of the city, but that's from personal and professional experience of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Roadend thats exactly the kinda crap Kess was talking about.....it happens in Dublin too.....dublin this...dublin that.....boo fockin hoo.......
    WE DONT LIVE IN DUBLIN!!
    Its happening here!! When will people down here stop qualifying everything that happens here with Dublin! A city ten times Limericks size and population!!!!!

COP ON!!!! :mad:

Roadend wrote: »
    The plumber shot dead going about his work innocently, the postman in a coma for the last 12 months in Dublin, to name but two, yes Limerick is far worse than anwywhere else in Ireland. :rolleyes:

For me it is not a case of whether Limerick is far worse or far better than Dublin or anywhere else in Ireland.

Personally I don't care about what Dublin scum do in Dublin, but I do care about what the Limerick scum do in Limerick because I live in Limerick.

We have an awful lot of scum and wannabe scum in Limerick, especially when you consider Limerick city is really a big town rather than a true city.

I don't blame the regular folk that live in every part of Limerick city as there is only so much they can do without either being put at risk or getting into trouble themselves with the law.

I put the blame firmly on the shoulders of those who make our laws, those who are meant to enforce our laws, and those who sit in courts who are meant to execute our laws to the letter.

I will have a rant every now and then about Limerick because it really does get to me to see the scum giving the place a bad name, because the city is run badly enough in terms of attracting new businesses, retail and otherwise, and developing current businesses without the scum making the place even more grim.

It is a city that geographically could be a real diamond of a place. It is near an international airport, within a short drive of real tourist attractions in Clare, Kerry,Cork, and Galway. You would think our planners would have been really knocking on the doors of big retail chains and the like and trying everything to make the city centre a shopper's paradise, and encourage those tourists to use Limerick as a base to see the other counties from, but to spend their shopping money here.

It would also make the city great for us locals as there could be a buzz on the shopping streets like there is in Cork city centre.

A great contrast would be to walk around Limerick city centre on a Friday after 18:30, the so called late shopping night there, and then the next week do the same at the same time in Cork city.

Limerick becomes a ghost town at that time, whereas Cork city centre is busy with loads of people carrying bags with the names of shopson them where they just spent money.

Another thing to look at in Cork is how well lit the main streets are at night, everything looks bright and that includes the older buildings on the main streets there.

In Limerick it tends to look a bit grey and grim, with dull lighting not doing any justice to Limerick.

The line about the recession can be rolled out to be blamed, but the look of the city is nothing new, and the lack of variety in the city centre from a retail pov is nothing new either.

Our city centre needs to be policed by a constant visible foot patrol, by a police force that brings in scumbags and let's the scumbags know that antisocial crap will not be tolerated and it needs to be sat over by judges that hand out stiff sentences to those that deserve it. The laws are already there for that to happen.

To go hand in hand with that we need a city council that cares more about what is good for the city than they care about getting their own names into the local papers or who will be next in line for mayor.

What on earth are you on about, I responded to a man who said Limerick was worse than anywhere in Ireland for violence with two cases from Dublin, which show that it is quite clearly not. How exactly do you propose that we come out and say Limerick is not the worst place in Ireland for violence without a comparison :confused::rolleyes:

What on earth are you on about, I responded to a man who said Limerick was worse than anywhere in Ireland for violence with two cases from Dublin, which show that it is quite clearly not. How exactly do you propose that we come out and say Limerick is not the worst place in Ireland for violence without a comparison :confused::rolleyes:

So tell me how your two cases show that Dublin is far worse then?

Crime figures are normally based on the amount of crimes committed against a set population figure, be it 10k, 100k or whatever.

In terms of an overall figure, Dublin has a higher crime figure, but has a population of about 1,500,000, including suburbs, against Limerick's 90,000, including suburbs.

So going by populations, Limerick should have a little more than 16 times less serious crime than Dublin. It does not, which shows that Limerick has more serious crime for every thousand people living here than Dublin does for every thousand living there.

I generally don't like comparing Limerick and Dublin as Limerick can come out of the comparison quite badly for a town sized place. But claims that Dublin has way more crime is generally a misguided one as people tend not to take populations into account. I would shudder to think what crime would be like in Limerick if we had a population of 1.5 million here, what with our ineffective gardai and courts system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah the old "limerick isnt as bad as Dublin" argument, like liam79 said, this isnt dublin, there is a crime problem here and thats the focus of the discussion, why is it that people always use the "sure other places have crime too" reasoning, of course they do, but thats not the point.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Kess73 wrote: »
    A great contrast would be to walk around Limerick city centre on a Friday after 18:30, the so called late shopping night there, and then the next week do the same at the same time in Cork city.

I'm not sure if it's still the same but Thursday was always late night shopping night in town, not Friday. It was the same in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Friday used to be the Limerick late night but think it has declined in the past few years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

sioda wrote: »
    Friday used to be the Limerick late night but think it has declined in the past few years

Since when was it Friday? Up until 2002 closing times for most fashion stores were 530pm-630pm Mon-Wed, 8pm Thurs, 5.30pm-6.30pm Fri-Sat and 5pm-6pm Sun (If they opened). I don't know about after that as that's when I moved away it's not the type of thing I'd notice on a visit back.

I've just checked Dunnes' and BrownThomas' websites and they now open late on Thursday and Friday, so I guess they are both late nights in Limerick now.

iguana wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's still the same but Thursday was always late night shopping night in town, not Friday. It was the same in Dublin.

Friday is now the evening when there is the most stores open for late closing in Limerick, so I chose that one.

You can use Thursday if you like as Cork City centre is far busier on a Thursday after 18:30 too.

The contrast is still the same, which is a pity in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Yes but I think you have to take into consideration that there are a lot of shops outside of the city centre in places like the Crescent, Parkway and Childers Road Retail park. That said I myself am not usually in town that much as I hate town. Nothing to do with the people there or whatever, I just get bored easily and hate shopping in general. I only go if I have a specific reason to, do that and then leave. I'm only in town when I go out mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Crime figures are normally based on the amount of crimes committed against a set population figure, be it 10k, 100k or whatever.

In terms of an overall figure, Dublin has a higher crime figure, but has a population of about 1,500,000, including suburbs, against Limerick's 90,000, including suburbs.

So going by populations, Limerick should have a little more than 16 times less serious crime than Dublin. It does not, which shows that Limerick has more serious crime for every thousand people living here than Dublin does for every thousand living there.

I generally don't like comparing Limerick and Dublin as Limerick can come out of the comparison quite badly for a town sized place. But claims that Dublin has way more crime is generally a misguided one as people tend not to take populations into account. I would shudder to think what crime would be like in Limerick if we had a population of 1.5 million here, what with our ineffective gardai and courts system.

Having Lived in the midwest and near Limerick most of my life and now living in Dublin 4 years.

Limerick IS A LOT SAFER than Dublin I can assure you!!!!!!. I'm not been biased. Limerick city centre is by far way safer than Dublincity centre. My cousin studied in Limerick Four years and she had a transfer for a work placement in Dublin for a year. She felt really out of place in Dublin. She liked Dublin, but she felt more safer walking on Limerick's streets than Dublin. I feel this way too. Limerick city centre is pretty safe and well proportioned.

The other bullcrap you posted on comparisons of cities, was farce. Per 1000 population Limerick faired better than either Cork and Dublin on most crime levels. The only crime that limericks worsens is killings. These killings are inconnection with the ganglands that kill each other.

BTW we dont need more Gardai. We need less moaners and pessismists like you patrolling Limerick that airwaves Limerick to be a bad place. If you don't like it and it's to hot in the kitchen "get the **** out"

Crime is related to unhappiness, more unhappiness attracts more crime.

You do the maths now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Roadend thats exactly the kinda crap Kess was talking about.....it happens in Dublin too.....dublin this...dublin that.....boo fockin hoo.......
    WE DONT LIVE IN DUBLIN!!
    Its happening here!! When will people down here stop qualifying everything that happens here with Dublin! A city ten times Limericks size and population!!!!!

COP ON!!!! :mad:

We could do with some injection of mass positiyity to the forum and Limerick in general. You make the city what it is.

If you think Limerick is this bad, then you should read your post. It would have a connection.

You make the city what it is. You decide and take responsilibilty what you do in the city and the rest will worry of the latter. You don't seem to be quick on a solution here do you.

Yeah I thought so.

Unhappy people bicker and moan....

Maybe you should take your own advice and YOU COP ON. :)

Ok Limerick is the most viloent place in Ireland, Happy now:rolleyes:

Now that that stupidity is out of the way, firstly where did I say Dublin was worse. I cited two cases which show that violent crime against innocents is not just a limerick issue. Secondly, if you are going to throw imaginary figures around which of course do not paint an accurate picture as its well acknowledged a large amount of serious crime in Dublin goes unreported whereas most everything in Limerick gets national coverage, you're going to be talking through your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Limerick has a bad reputation, yes, due to gang wars. If you pick any other city in Ireland (Galway/Cork/Waterford..Dublin (I don't care what you say, Kilkenny is NOT a city) ), they would also have bad reputations for some other crimes of some sort.

Galway - Murder/Rape (first thing that comes to mind, correct me if I'm wrong)
    Waterford - Violent Traveller feuds
    Cork - Murder (Not sure to be honest)

and Dublin - Drug Gang feuds.

The issue is with Limerick, as far as I can see, is that a higher percentage of victims are "innocent" (if you were to compare gang related violence in Ireland with other cities, which dominates the headlines).

In general, Limerick is safe enough without wandering into "no go" areas. But then again, safer for men than women (as it is with any city). I would say this for all cities in Ireland as I could not describe any city in Ireland as being "safe".

• Advertisement

The issue is with Limerick, as far as I can see, is that a higher percentage of victims are "innocent" (if you were to compare gang related violence in Ireland with other cities, which dominates the headlines).

I agree with almost all of your post, the above i do have issue with, there have been 2 murders in total relating to the gang violence which were innocent people, Ray Collins, and Shane Geoghan, one stood up to the gangs and the other was mistaken identity.

I don't see how this makes the percentage higher for innocent victims in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Being positive about the city is a double edged sword in some ways.

On the one side we want people from outside of Limerick to change their attitudes on Limerick and believe that it is a decent city.

On the other side, if we're too positive and happy the politicians and Gardai may not believe that extra Garda resources should be allocated to Limerick.

Ok Limerick is the most viloent place in Ireland, Happy now:rolleyes:

Now that that stupidity is out of the way, firstly where did I say Dublin was worse. I cited two cases which show that violent crime against innocents is not just a limerick issue. Secondly, if you are going to throw imaginary figures around which of course do not paint an accurate picture as its well acknowledged a large amount of serious crime in Dublin goes unreported whereas most everything in Limerick gets national coverage, you're going to be talking through your hole.

Imaginary figures? Maybe you should go check the figures yourself before spouting your normal "Dublin this Dublin that wa wa wa" rubbish. The crime figures are in the public domain for anyone who wants to make the effort to check them.

And "most everything" in Limerick gets reported? Now who is talking through their hole?

I never said Limerick is the most violent place in Ireland, I said that it has a disproportionate amount of serious crime.

The whole thrust of my original reply to you was that Limerick folk should not be using the crime in Dublin or any other city as a carte blance for what happens in Limerick. Dublin could have a thousand murders a day for all I care, I don't live there. The only place I care about is the one I live in, and that is Limerick.

People who go on about making it what you want it to be, or such a place has loads of crime are naive. If they cannot see how run down, grim, and sham like Limerick looks compared to other towns and cities, then they are blind or pretending to be so.

I already stated what I thought the main cause of the problems in Limerick were, and I said it from a law pov and from a retail pov, maybe I am talking rubbish, but at least I gave my honest opinion on it, unlike you who just comes on and puts down what others say, and has no opinion of his own other than to say others are wrong and they talk out of their hole.

If I disagree on something with someone, I will say why I disagree. Does not make me right or wrong, but it means I will show the other person the courtesy of explaining why I disagree with them.

This thread is about Limerick's "perceived" image, silly me for thinking that it was open for discussion, and not just for quick answers with either no desire or no ability to debate it.

Kess, I have come to the conclusion that you cannot read or at least understand what you are reading so I can't really carry this on with you as its utterly pointless.

Being positive about the city is a double edged sword in some ways.

On the one side we want people from outside of Limerick to change their attitudes on Limerick and believe that it is a decent city.

On the other side, if we're too positive and happy the politicians and Gardai may not believe that extra Garda resources should be allocated to Limerick.

That echoes what I was told by a community garda. Basically if an area does not have a lot of calls in for assistance, then it gets assumed there are no problems, and as such will not have patrols assigned to that estate/area as often.

So the problems may be there, but with nobody willing to open there mouth, and just trying to act like everything is dandy, then there is no patrols.

Of course the other side of that coin is the fact that Limerick gardai can be very difficult to actually get to come to an incident, something I mentioned in another thread and I also brought up the chain of command that I tried to follow to report that.

Talking to local gardai, community gardai, local elected officials etc all seems to be a waste here, with a few notable exceptions in each area.

Some people think that wanting to discuss obvious problems in the city is just slagging the city of, but the way I see if enough people discuss and more importantly acknowledge where there are problems, then something may get done at some point.

As I said in part of my reply to a poster that does not seem able to debate anything, Limerick could be a diamond of a town if it was managed better, both from a social pov and from a retail/business pov, it is just frustrating to see apathy and scum win out more often than not.

Kess, I have come to the conclusion that you cannot read or at least understand what you are reading so I can't really carry this on with you as its utterly pointless.

Just as well because short answers with no attempt at explaining what you think seems to be your thing, along with the ability to debate why you disagree being beyond you.

Best you just make little smart comments, seems that is all you got anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

perceived" image,

Do not visit Limerick because it is rough and out of controll

Reality:

It's a great city to visit with all the amenities of a modern progressive city.

solution:

Stop talking openly on forums like this no how bad Limerick, just write about all the good thing that this city Limerick has to offer.

positive thing's happen to positive places.

Friend of the Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

obviously its not that 11 year olds fault going around threatning people with the gun, its because of the lack of facilities, we need to build a payground for children, give them something to do to keep them out of trouble

utick wrote: »
    obviously its not that 11 year olds fault going around threatning people with the gun, its because of the lack of facilities, we need to build a payground for children, give them something to do to keep them out of trouble

I really hope you're being sarcastic with that comment.

• Advertisement

Just as well because short answers with no attempt at explaining what you think seems to be your thing, along with the ability to debate why you disagree being beyond you.

Best you just make little smart comments, seems that is all you got anyway.

Posting long winded personal opinion isn't going to validate what you are attempting to say either. I responded to a claim with facts, it was short and to the point as I didn't need to try and make my point more valid by putting lots of words together.

I'd like to add by the way that all the the non-Limerick people, of which I am one myself, in this thread that have come on said their perception was that Limerick was not a bad place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement