Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's Perceived Image

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

khmk wrote: »
    I say yes!

Bhurkas and luminous hot pants could work.

And we could fashion up something appealing for the women whilst we're at it.

lets see the scummers then-

"hoi you, comereiwancha give me a fag!"

nice chicken legs son, trot on before i crush you

Haha the image of it!! Don't forget to attach the hopey earrings to the burkhas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

ive got a group of good friends i grew up with ,we all work,painters,plasters,carpenters,cleaners,chiefs we'd work 40,50 sometimes 60 hours a week and on the weekend we spend the hole night being stopped in discos & pubs and spend the hole time hanging around town thinking were could we get in but thats life for a limerick youth from 18 till 26,we now go to cork , ennis, galway we love limerick but those bouncers wreck it for normal people, only students and those with a twang have any kind of life here,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭sioda

You know we're talking about night time- I know people jog during the day and summer evenings- I lived on steamboat quay for years.

Indeed people jog after work summer and winter darkness has nothing to to with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

cancan wrote: »
    Having been away from limerick for a long time and returned on a recent visit, i must agree with many of the points made here.
    The town has allowed itself to be overrun by scumbags and wanta be knackers.
    The guards must shoulder a large part of the blame. There should be a zero tolerance policy on anti social behaviour, but despite having 7 supers (or so I am told), there seems to be a general lack of interest in sorting the place out for once and for all.
    All big crime starts small, and there seems to be no effort being made to nip the small stuff in the bud.

The fact that the locals seem to be ok with this rubbish level of policing paints an slightly damning picture of them also.

On policing, if you go down to the district court when it's in session, you'll see that the court system can barely cope with the amount of work being thrown at them by city Gardai. If you're looking for somebody to blame you should look at the judiciary, who slap the scum on the wrist and send them back onto the street to be arrested again. waisting more valuable garda time.

On the whole jogging and town being a no go area after 6pm, cop onto yourselves, I wouldn't go jogging in St Mary's park, moyross or south hill, but the rest of the city is fair game as far as i'm concerned. the problem is people get a very frightened and inward looking view of the city. "oh no i can't go outside i might get stabbed" etc etc...... that's your own problem if you let fear cripple you and not let you live your life. I've lived in this city for 24 out of my 26 years on this planet, and only once have i experienced violence towards me, and that wasn't from scumbags, it was from a drunk preppy looking tw@ out in Corbally.

Bottom line, if you don't want to go out because you're afraid that's fine, off you go. but keep your silly fears to yourself, because by advertising your misconceived fears you're only doing more damage to the city. Let everyone else enjoy the city after 6, you just lock yourself into your apartment or houses outside the city and pray you make it through till morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

"3 separate groups of girls wearing pyjamas"

people actually wear pyjamas in public? I mean, real pyjamas, not tracksuits?

• Advertisement

mike kelly wrote: »
    "3 separate groups of girls wearing pyjamas"

people actually wear pyjamas in public? I mean, real pyjamas, not tracksuits?

yes unfortunately they do. saw it in town myself on sat, 3 women with buggies one of them wearing a full pyjama set, top and bottoms, and a jacket on over it. It looks disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

limerick has an image problem! news to me

foinse wrote: »
    yes unfortunately they do. saw it in town myself on sat, 3 women with buggies one of them wearing a full pyjama set, top and bottoms, and a jacket on over it. It looks disgusting.

would they not be cold? and who started this fashion? can they be arrested? I never saw it anywhere else

would they not be cold? and who started this fashion? can they be arrested? I never saw it anywhere else

Happens in Dublin and Cork as well. have seen it personally in both city's. no unfortunately no laws against it, but there should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

They discussed it on newstalk a couple of weeks ago. Alot of angry texters and callers who took the view these pajama wearing women are basically giving the 2 fingers to working people, by not bothering to even have the decency to dress when go to pickup their free money.

• Advertisement

I have just done some research on this subject in another forum. I may be old fashioned but it is really sad that women thing that this kind of behaviour is acceptable. I can understand college students wanting to try a different look but adult women going out in public in pyjamas? Maybe these islamic fundamentalists have a point after all. Come to think of it, bringing in Sharia law in Limerick mightn't be a bad idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭sioda

Mike there was talk not too long back about "pyjama index" as a mesure of social responsibilities in cities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

I have just done some research on this subject in another forum. I may be old fashioned but it is really sad that women thing that this kind of behaviour is acceptable. I can understand college students wanting to try a different look but adult women going out in public in pyjamas? Maybe these islamic fundamentalists have a point after all. Come to think of it, bringing in Sharia law in Limerick mightn't be a bad idea...

:D brilliant.

lets bring in the stockades and we will lock these stupid scumbags up and pelt them with stones in the town center

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

what areas in limerick are the ones which should be avoided?? Moyross?? the island???

which areas of limerick are the quite nice areas?? castletroy?? caherdavin??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

MickTipp wrote: »
    what areas in limerick are the ones which should be avoided?? Moyross?? the island???

which areas of limerick are the quite nice areas?? castletroy?? caherdavin??

Parts of the Island are grand, it's definitely not all to be avoided.

Certain sections of Caherdavin have become quite intimidating, but in general it's a lovely area. Mostly just kids hanging around wearing hoods. They can be a nuisance, but 95% of them are not dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AquaMan09

Can they be arrested?!? WTF!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

AquaMan09 wrote: »
    Can they be arrested?!? WTF!!

Epic first post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Hey - Tak it easy on the first posters dude

BTW - this thread has gone downhill since the title change - passion seems to be gone completely out of it

can we change it back??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

alrightcuz wrote: »
    ive got a group of good friends i grew up with ,we all work,painters,plasters,carpenters,cleaners,chiefs we'd work 40,50 sometimes 60 hours a week and on the weekend we spend the hole night being stopped in discos & pubs and spend the hole time hanging around town thinking were could we get in but thats life for a limerick youth from 18 till 26,we now go to cork , ennis, galway we love limerick but those bouncers wreck it for normal people, only students and those with a twang have any kind of life here,

With a username like alrightcuz i hope that doesnt come out in your personailty?why and where are ye getting stopped

• Advertisement

john47832 wrote: »
    Hey - Tak it easy on the first posters dude

BTW - this thread has gone downhill since the title change - passion seems to be gone completely out of it

can we change it back??

not being hard on him, I honestly think it's a great first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

don't know guess we sounded too much like people from limerick all our cork an dublin friends never had any problems,,:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Sweet mother of God :eek:

Boy threatens to shoot park ranger in packed playground

National News Home

By Barry Duggan
    Thursday September 24 2009

A PLAYGROUND in Limerick had to be temporarily closed after a child armed with a pellet gun threatened to shoot a park ranger.
    The young boy, who witnesses believe was no more than 11 years old, was pointing the pellet gun at children in the People's Park playground in Limerick city when he was approached by a park ranger.
    When cornered by the ranger, the child pulled the pellet gun from his pocket and pointed it at the park employee and threatened him: "I'll blow your f**king head off."
    The frightening incident happened last Friday evening when around 30 parents and children were in the city playground. The child ran from the park shouting that he would come back with his father to sort out the ranger.
    Many children who saw the episode were left in tears and rangers on duty decided to close the playground for an hour.
    Limerick City Council in turn reported the matter to gardai who are investigating.
    One father who was in the playground with his child and witnessed the incident said the pellet gun resembled a revolver.

Shocked
    "It was not like the long ones we had when we were young. He was going around like he was John Wayne," the shocked parent said.
    "After the young fellow pointed the gun at one of the children, their father ran after him and caught him. He then hid the gun in his pocket. The rangers ran over and were fantastic. They handled the situation well.
    "The kid then pulled the gun out of his pocket and pointed it at one of the rangers," he said.
    "He stood back like a young fellow who was well schooled -- he leaned forward and had the stance and said 'I'll blow your f**king head off'. He could have taken the ranger's eye out.
    "There was an eerie feeling in the park afterwards so the rangers closed the playground and ushered the parents and children home," he added.
    - Barry Duggan

I don't recall John Wayne ever engaging in this kind of carry on

Liam79 wrote: »
    Sweet mother of God :eek:

Boy threatens to shoot park ranger in packed playground

National News Home

By Barry Duggan
    Thursday September 24 2009

A PLAYGROUND in Limerick had to be temporarily closed after a child armed with a pellet gun threatened to shoot a park ranger.
    The young boy, who witnesses believe was no more than 11 years old, was pointing the pellet gun at children in the People's Park playground in Limerick city when he was approached by a park ranger.
    When cornered by the ranger, the child pulled the pellet gun from his pocket and pointed it at the park employee and threatened him: "I'll blow your f**king head off."
    The frightening incident happened last Friday evening when around 30 parents and children were in the city playground. The child ran from the park shouting that he would come back with his father to sort out the ranger.
    Many children who saw the episode were left in tears and rangers on duty decided to close the playground for an hour.
    Limerick City Council in turn reported the matter to gardai who are investigating.
    One father who was in the playground with his child and witnessed the incident said the pellet gun resembled a revolver.

Shocked
    "It was not like the long ones we had when we were young. He was going around like he was John Wayne," the shocked parent said.
    "After the young fellow pointed the gun at one of the children, their father ran after him and caught him. He then hid the gun in his pocket. The rangers ran over and were fantastic. They handled the situation well.
    "The kid then pulled the gun out of his pocket and pointed it at one of the rangers," he said.
    "He stood back like a young fellow who was well schooled -- he leaned forward and had the stance and said 'I'll blow your f**king head off'. He could have taken the ranger's eye out.
    "There was an eerie feeling in the park afterwards so the rangers closed the playground and ushered the parents and children home," he added.
    - Barry Duggan

Great, more bad publicity from some little sh1t of a toerag, who thinks he's entitled to do what he want's. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I was in Limerick 6 years and never really had an issue violence wise, though my house was attempted robbed twice by scumbags. I always found if you're out looking for trouble, you'll find it, regardless of location..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

ah stop Foinse…as stabcity would say, he is prob a fine young fella just having a laugh…….!!:rolleyes::mad:

So Roy Collins and Shane Geoghan were looking for trouble?

What a dense comment! Some areas are clearly more dangerous then others. If you go looking for trouble in downtown Johannesburg are you as likely to find it as in Zurich?
    Wake up people, Limerick has a real violence problem, far worse than anywhere else in Ireland.

An File wrote: »
    Parts of the Island are grand, it's definitely not all to be avoided.

Certain sections of Caherdavin have become quite intimidating, but in general it's a lovely area. Mostly just kids hanging around wearing hoods. They can be a nuisance, but 95% of them are not dangerous.

which parts are of the island are grand? are rents low there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Park ranger should have taken out his own piece, put it between his legs Roger Federer style, and blown the little pup away. "Play on kids, play on." and blown the smoke off the top of the barrel before bagging and composting the corpse. Who'd miss him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement