Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's Perceived Image

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

limerick79 wrote: »
    liam you are talkin absolute b######t listenin to you their everywhere pubs restaurants bowling alleys... obviously you focus on the underbelly of limerick... not every young lad in a tracksuit and hoodie is a scumbag.. you asked if limerick was dangerous but in your post i dont see examples of danger just that you seem to be paranoid of the way people look or speak..i do agree their is a certain sham element in our city but no way to the extinct your trying to put across...

Oh No! They are here now too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Stabcity (great name for a man claiming to be the defender of scobes :rolleyes:) and Limerick79 let me give you a few general facts here SHAMS.

1. Gangs of youngfellas in hoodies, tracksuits tucked into their socks, spitting every ten seconds, smoking johnny blues with just their index fingers and thumbs, swaring and roaring with their fake accents at the top of their squaky voices is NOT ok, and it IS horrible, indimidating and not nice for people in town. Its NOT ok and its not acceptable.
    2. Women in their fukin 40's walking around in Pyjamas that have not seen Persil since they were bought with their prams full of messages, 500 fake gold chains hanging off them, picking their nose and showing off their fat belly is NOT acceptable and a horrible image to give off of Limerick.
    3. People roaring abuse at each other in public is not acceptable, not only that, its fukin illegal you stooge!!
    4. Walking around town "touching yourself" in public is also not only unacceptable, but again its bloody illegal!!!

This town is crawling with these vermin scum, thats all they are. Vermin Scum.
    And for you to come on here with the "how dare you" attitude just cos your from one of the less well off areas....p**s off!!! There are LOADS of people from Moyross, Balla, Killeely, Southill, Weston who are perfectly capable of coming into town and dressing and behaving like anyone else as they are normal decent human beings, the lads I am on about...i dont care where they are from, be it Assumpta Park, Woodview, Raheen, the NCR....I dont care....they are scum and should be booted out. :mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Stab*City wrote: »
    My god how boring your saturdays would be if you didnt see all this happening.. i mean you could do your actual shopping in an hour in this town its so crap.. just be glad that when you finished up in town you could head out home where its probably nice n quiet and whinge all evening on the internet..

on my trip to town on the same day i saw the following:

-Young kids having fun with their moms and dads
    -3 separate groups of girls wearing whatever they want to as its their own business
    -Woman on the phone exercising her right to freedom of speech
    -A gang of youths doing not much
    -A couple in tracksuits minding their own business (like you should)

Combine that with the fake bandwagon jumping munster supporters, corrupt politicans and people like you looking down their noses at everyone who is not like you.

Oh, and no Gardai on the street.

I'd rather a boring Saturday far more than watching the the likes of those listed giving the city a bad name.

"3 separate groups of girls wearing whatever they want to as its their own business"-they can wear what they want, but wearing pyjamas in broad daylight is plain rediculous. And besides, I don't see pyjama and tracksuit brigade in Galway or Cork city centre.

"A couple in tracksuits minding their own business (like you should)"-your helpful advice aside, I couldn't care less what they say to each other, but it's incidents like this that give visitors to the city a bad impression. And it happens far more regulary than in any other city I visit.

And regarding your final comment, people like me? I'm delighted that I do not get involved in any of the above that gives the city a sh!t name. Instead, I happily point tourists to places of interest and give a GOOD impression of our city to outsiders. I'd rather meet a person 'like me" rather than a hoodie-wearing cammeeerraaaawancha chappie that would sooner spit at you and laugh with their friends than help you out.

And you are DAMN right I look down at all the above behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

FutureGuy wrote: »
    And regarding your final comment, people like me? I'm delighted that I do not get involved in any of the above that gives the city a sh!t name. Instead, I happily point tourists to places of interest and give a GOOD impression of our city to outsiders. I'd rather meet a person 'like me" rather than a hoodie-wearing cammeeerraaaawancha chappie that would sooner spit at you and laugh with their friends than help you out.

:rolleyes: Now it seems time for the self righteous to appear

People can wear what they like, its unbelievable that anyone can post here judging people for what they wear or for talking a certain way

because somebody wears a tracksuit or pyjamis it doesnt mean the will rob a tourist - i dont live in Limerick and would not want to either, not because of the way people dress or talk but because the place is run down with little or no money invested in it - its like Dublin in the eighties with housing estates boarded up - young people growing up in these estates become accustomed to living a certain way and are products of their environment

john47832 wrote: »

People can wear what they like, its unbelievable that anyone can post here judging people for what they wear or for talking a certain way

because somebody wears a tracksuit or pyjamis it doesnt mean the will rob a tourist - i dont live in Limerick and would not want to either, not because of the way people dress or talk but because the place is run down with little or no money invested in it - its like Dublin in the eighties with housing estates boarded up - young people growing up in these estates become accustomed to living a certain way and are products of their environment

I bet you vote for the Greens!! :rolleyes:
    God i cant stand the PC Brigade!!

• Advertisement

Liam79 wrote: »
    I bet you vote for the Greens!! :rolleyes:
    God i cant stand the PC Brigade!!

Actually I have never voted in my life

It aint PC - its just I hate to see self righteous patronizing people picking on a minority, and base a judgement to a stereotype

i live in Dublin where people who dressed like and talk like, what the poster has described, would happily help an old lady across the street or give directions to a tourist

Did I once say that people in pyjama or tracksuits rob people? Did I? No. Then get your facts right and keep your insults to yourself. There is nothing self righteous about my comments.

My comment about a guy in a tracksuit spitting at a tourist isn't a made-up example, it's something I saw with my own eyes 3 months ago.

I am not picking on a minority. I am basing my opinions on my life while living in Limerick city, especially over the last 5 years.

Actually I have never voted in my life

It aint PC - its just I hate to see self righteous patronizing people picking on a minority, and base a judgement to a stereotype

i live in Dublin where people who dressed like and talk like, what the poster has described, would happily help an old lady across the street or give directions to a tourist

How lovely for you :rolleyes:
    I live in Limerick where the scobes I am talking about would walk her across the road, knock her out and rob her bag....... :mad:

Stabcity (great name for a man claiming to be the defender of scobes :rolleyes:) and Limerick79 let me give you a few general facts here SHAMS.

1. Gangs of youngfellas in hoodies, tracksuits tucked into their socks, spitting every ten seconds, smoking johnny blues with just their index fingers and thumbs, swaring and roaring with their fake accents at the top of their squaky voices is NOT ok, and it IS horrible, indimidating and not nice for people in town. Its NOT ok and its not acceptable.
    2. Women in their fukin 40's walking around in Pyjamas that have not seen Persil since they were bought with their prams full of messages, 500 fake gold chains hanging off them, picking their nose and showing off their fat belly is NOT acceptable and a horrible image to give off of Limerick.
    3. People roaring abuse at each other in public is not acceptable, not only that, its fukin illegal you stooge!!
    4. Walking around town "touching yourself" in public is also not only unacceptable, but again its bloody illegal!!!

And for you to come on here with the "how dare you" attitude just cos your from one of the less well off areas....p**s off!!! There are LOADS of people from Moyross, Balla, Killeely, Southill, Weston who are perfectly capable of coming into town and dressing and behaving like anyone else as they are normal decent human beings, the lads I am on about...i dont care where they are from, be it Assumpta Park, Woodview, Raheen, the NCR....I dont care....they are scum and should be booted out. :mad::mad::mad:

You know what, you hit the nail on the head with your 4 descriptions. A perfect description of what you see in Limerick city centre. And a Limerick man myself, it's an embarassment. I know people from Moyross, Suth Hill, Weston etc and they are great people. They don't run around causing trouble.

It's funny, but I heard on Limerick radio recently that many of the people who talk with that scummy accent put it on because they believe it makes them sound cool!

How about the time when a poor old woman collapsed in the street beside a group of scummy tracksuit wearing teens. What did they do? Help her up? Call an ambulance?

No they bust out laughing and taking pics on their phone. Thankfully, my "self-righteous" brother helped her up. What a terrible thing for him to do!!! And as he was helping the ambulance crew with her , he was fending off threats from these scum (in a 7 on 1 situation).

And as the ambulance drove away, they were running after it laughing.

So you must forgive me for "looking down" at this type of behaviour.

• Advertisement

How about the time when a poor old woman collapsed in the street beside a group of scummy tracksuit wearing teens. What did they do? Help her up? Call an ambulance?

These are teenagers for God sake - how can you judge a city on its teenagers - these kids do not have any say on whether a city is safe or not

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭limerick79

First things first limerick is a workin class city with a workin class background... most of us have relatives in disadvantaged areas...because most of our parents or grandparents came from workin class estates..some people are lucky that they got to move.. most people worked very hard to move...secondly i wouldnt state limerick as a city but more of a town with plenty of suburbs.. i mean you have o connell street william street and bedford row for shoppin granted a few retail parks have been dotted on the outskirts......thirdly i wear hoodies nike air trainers am 30 years old smoke am unemployed(not by choice) and i occasionly actually spit. Am i a scumbag???..but yet i dont rob/hurt/insult/aggrevate people..
    Liam79 Futureguy and the like ye dont have a clue about the bigger picture yes granted i am well aware of the shem element in limerick MORE than...but its no way to the extinct your portraying... obviously yeseem to go about town giving this element the attention their seekin by comin on here and complaining about them this thread started as limerick a dangerous city...but yet the same thing comes up women in pyjamas young fellas in tracksuits....i know and see the sham elemant in limerick but like that it doesnt bother me til it effects me.. i go about town do what i have to do and take no notice of these people....
    as for you Liam79 the young fellas scratchin his balls illegal??? WTF....if it is why didnt you go to henry strret and make a statement and stand up in court against him if he was openly breakin the law...since your sick of these scum....I KNOW THEIRS A SHAM ELEMENT IN LIMERICK AND TAKIN NOTICE OF THESE PEOPLE GIVES THEM THE ATTENTION THEY WANT AND THATS WHAT THEIR AIMING FOR...SCUM IS SCUM I AGREE... but no way to the extinct it is in liams little world...

These are teenagers for God sake - how can you judge a city on its teenagers - these kids do not have any say on whether a city is safe or not

No disrespect, but I think thats a rediculous statement to make.

Are you for real!!!!:eek:

"these kids do not have any say on whether a city is safe or not"

The kids are part of the bloody reason its not safe!!!

Christ above man!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Not being smart but they could have an awful lot to do with it if they (or any of us) engaged in large amounts of criminal activity. Beat up a few people, shoot a few and you would have a big say on whether any city is safe or not.

First things first limerick is a workin class city with a workin class background... most of us have relatives in disadvantaged areas...because most of our parents or grandparents came from workin class estates..some people are lucky that they got to move.. most people worked very hard to move...secondly i wouldnt state limerick as a city but more of a town with plenty of suburbs.. i mean you have o connell street william street and bedford row for shoppin granted a few retail parks have been dotted on the outskirts......thirdly i wear hoodies nike air trainers am 30 years old smoke am unemployed(not by choice) and i occasionly actually spit. Am i a scumbag???..but yet i dont rob/hurt/insult/aggrevate people..
    Liam79 Futureguy and the like ye dont have a clue about the bigger picture yes granted i am well aware of the shem element in limerick MORE than...but its no way to the extinct your portraying... obviously yeseem to go about town giving this element the attention their seekin by comin on here and complaining about them this thread started as limerick a dangerous city...but yet the same thing comes up women in pyjamas young fellas in tracksuits....i know and see the sham elemant in limerick but like that it doesnt bother me til it effects me.. i go about town do what i have to do and take no notice of these people....
    as for you Liam79 the young fellas scratchin his balls illegal??? WTF....if it is why didnt you go to henry strret and make a statement and stand up in court against him if he was openly breakin the law...since your sick of these scum....I KNOW THEIRS A SHAM ELEMENT IN LIMERICK AND TAKIN NOTICE OF THESE PEOPLE GIVES THEM THE ATTENTION THEY WANT AND THATS WHAT THEIR AIMING FOR...SCUM IS SCUM I AGREE... but no way to the extinct it is in liams little world...

Do you know, i think, quite honestly, thats one of theee stupidest, most off the point, saying nothing posts I have ever read on here :rolleyes:

And to take the most important line from it

"i know and see the sham elemant in limerick but like that it doesnt bother me til it effects me.. "

You said it brother........you said it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Is it just me or does anyone else look at the pyjama brigade and think, there goes a current or future benefit's scrounger? I mean they are too lazy to even take the minute or so needed to get dressed. Maybe its just me looking down from my ivory tower though :p

Do you know, i think, quite honestly, thats one of theee stupidest, most off the point, saying nothing posts I have ever read on here :rolleyes:

Do you just completely miss the point or are you really that ignorant?

the point being made is there is an element of undesirables in Limerick, an element not a majority - if we were to listen to you then nobody would go out of their front door in the mornings

and yes the power is given to the element because of people like you and FutureGuy - Limerick was previously named stabcity by people like you - what do you expect?

Roadend wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else look at the pyjama brigade and think, there goes a current or future benefit's scrounger? I mean they are too lazy to even take the minute or so needed to get dressed. Maybe its just me looking down from my ivory tower though :p

Careful Roadend, you might upset a few of the PC Brigade in here :D
    (your spot on by the way!)

Do you just completely miss the point or are you really that ignorant?

the point being made is there is an element of undesirables in Limerick, an element not a majority - if we were to listen to you then nobody would go out of their front door in the mornings

and yes the power is given to the element because of people like you and FutureGuy - Limerick was previously named stabcity by people like you - what do you expect?

Funnily enough mate, It wasnt me who coined that phrase atall, it was actually Gerry Stembridge....a Limerick man! He used it on RTE's Scrap Saturday with Dermot Morgan.
    But hey dont let a small thing like the truth get in the way of a good accusation!! :rolleyes:

And please show me where i said anything atall about a majority.........????

Thanks Bud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭limerick79

liam you see all this criminal behaviour ... why arent you onto the cops...
    thats what i would be doing if it was affecting me like you...

liam you see all this criminal behaviour ... why arent you onto the cops...
    thats what i would be doing if it was affecting me like you...

I have been onto the cops twice mate. First time after i was attacked and had a bottle smashed over the front of my head for being so brave as to walk past King John's Castle after dark on my way to a mates house in Thomdgate. Didnt do or say a word, i was smoking a fag, went past 3 lads, got the immortal "got a fag bud" line, i said no sorry lads and kept going, next thing you know....bang

Second time myself and my soon to be brother in law were walking from Nestors to The Bank when this charming chap demanded Stevens phone with a blade the size of a cucumber. We told him to fuk off and walked on, he came back and steve went to fake hit him and he took off.

Both times I went to the guards, and both times i was more or less told "tough" No proof, no witnesses etc etc etc .......

So mate, in answer to your question why dont we go to the guards........

Thats why........there is no point

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why can't we all just get along? :(

An File wrote: »

Who is not getting along?

Just cos myself and Limk79 or StabCity dont agree doesnt mean i wouldnt get on with them File....
    They have an opinion, i have mine. We differ and maybe on an internet board we are more forthcoming and brave with those opinions than possibly we would be face to face, but i have no ill will twoards the 2 lads atall. Its nothing personal whatsoever. If there was a boards meet up and the 2 lads were there I would shake their hands and buy them a pint absolutely no qualms.
    Up limerick!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

First of all can you people please finally get over my username.. its just a name no need to get your knickers in a twist liam79.. You my friend sound more like a nazi than a person i would even care to bother to think up a decent response to (i dont like people who yeild paintbrushes) so as far as your pint at the boards meet up goes ill have to decline. . Thank god you are doomed to complain in front of your computer and dont have the the balls nor the right to tell me or anybody what or what not to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I'd rather a boring Saturday far more than watching the the likes of those listed giving the city a bad name.

"3 separate groups of girls wearing whatever they want to as its their own business"-they can wear what they want, but wearing pyjamas in broad daylight is plain rediculous. And besides, I don't see pyjama and tracksuit brigade in Galway or Cork city centre.

"A couple in tracksuits minding their own business (like you should)"-your helpful advice aside, I couldn't care less what they say to each other, but it's incidents like this that give visitors to the city a bad impression. And it happens far more regulary than in any other city I visit.

This "city" had a "bad name" long before any of the people you are talking about were even born. Limerick has a history of war and violence.

Again people are entitled to wear whatever they like no matter what you or anyone else thinks. So save your breath. If the pj's annoy you that much you have a choice not to live here.

Why worry about Mr. green pants wearing american tourist telling his golf buddies at his retirement home that he overheard two "scobes" shouting at each other when the media and the "gangs" and the local politicians have already put the nail in the coffin and destroyed the name of our city.. i dont think all the tourists have lead as sheltered lives as yourself and are so intimidated by some phone argument.. ive seen alot worse in other real cities.

in order to look down on anything that would imply that you are above something. you aint that great so get off that horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Town is full of scobes. Absolutely full of them. And proportionate to population we are far worse than Dublin or Cork. Go to Dublin Cork and especially Galway and u rarely see too many gangs of scobes during the day on the likes of Dame Street, Grafton Street, Patrick Street, Washington St, Shop St or Quay St. They tend to stick to their own areas, but Limerick is full to the brim with them. Intimidating people, hassling and harassing people. The much lauded Youth Centre is a hang out for them, its full of scobes contrary to public belief. You see them with their hoods up, tracks suit pants tucked into their socks, women in their pyjamas, bellys on show for all to see, massive fake gold jewellery. They are on the buses, in the pubs, in the shops resturants, on every street. They infest the city :mad: and no matter what new attraction we bring in, no matter what amenities we have, they take them over. Everything. U cant go for a game of snooker but they are there, u cant go swimming in St Endas but they are there, when funderland comes to town they are like moths to a flame. The Ice Rink at christmas at the potatoe market is FULL of them. Thomond Park on match day is teeming with them. Bowling alleys are breeding grounds for them, and lets not even start on cinemas and shopping centres! Have u been to the crescent lately!!!:( Limerick is a city FULL of scobes and scumbags and they are ruining it for the rest of us. This is a city no one wants to come to. Last night on Newstalk Off the Ball former Meath footballer Bernard Flynn described Limerick as Tinker Town. RTE had a quiz where the prize was a trip to Limerick for a weekend and the winner asked for the cash instead....
    You're doing Bernard Flynn a diservice there. I was listening, and he clearly said he was born in Limerick, then another member of the guest panel shouted him down with the Tinker Town jibe. You're right in everything else you said. The scum ruin it for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Calm down or I'm locking this thread.

Stab*City - post deleted for personal abuse. Keep it civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

@Mr_E You beat me to it ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

An File wrote: »

yes we can

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement