Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Grand Prix Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Kingp35 wrote: »
    What an absolutely fantastic result. Well done to Jacko, he kept going and never gave up. Beaten missed doubles and let Jacko in but you can't take away from Jacko's brilliant achievement. I'll be there tomorrow night to support him!

On another note the crowd were an absolute disgrace. Yes cheer as load as you possibly can between throws and even throw in the odd boo if you are a complete prick but do it AFTER Beaten has throw. Poor form and it's slightly embarrassing that the people in this country resprt to that to try and get a player through.

Still congratulations to Jacko, I am absolutely delighted and it's brilliant that we get to cheer on an Irishman in one of the best competitions in the world :)

Spot on but the crowd where a disgrace in the Barney aswell, like you said an embassment. Hate that sh1t!

Well done Jacko, hope he beats Barney tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Dartgod

Well done, Jacko, and the best of luck against Barney.

Disgraceful behaviour by those so-called " darts fans " !

Those " football hooligans " are giving darts a bad name !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Question, what ranked players get automatic entry into the world championship?

i make it that Jacko would be ranked about 42nd in the world

i would have imagined the top 64 earn an invite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 assante

Ya D G dont want any football hooligans coming to dart games ,it was a disgrace the way the crowd behaved tonight You wouldnt let them get away with that M ,in the irish players champs, please dart players dont let this creepe into our beautiful and sporting game we have .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

I think its only 32. The rest are made up of qualifiers and international qualifiers. Don't quote me on that though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I wonder what the crowd will be like tonight? It will be a bigger and drunker ( its a longer night ) crowd presumably so chances are it will be even worse. I was raging watching that match last night. Beaton is one of my favourite players and seemed like a very nice guy when i met him and every one says he one of the nicest men on tour. The booing was a complete disgrace and took the shine of Jacko's win for me. If it has of been the other way around and Jacko was getting boo'ed in Britan there would have been uproar on here. I dont take the point that its part and parcel of the modern game.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Snakey

Don't quote me on that though...

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Have to agree with all about the booing. I'm only a casual darts fan but I've been going to Citywest quarter finals night for the past 7 or 8 years and I've seen this kind of thing creeping in. I'm embarassed by it. The atmosphere was way better in the early years when people were just as raucous but showed a bit of respect. The last match of the night is always the worst as a lot of the crowd is well pissed by then. Last year I saw a fight between Captain America and a Hot Dog. Surreal stuff.

I'm going tonight and I'm fearful of what it will be like by the time Jacko v Barney comes on. That should never be the last match of the night, it's just asking for trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Leixlip_Red

I'm going on Saturday and was wondering if there is anywhere that will be showing the Ireland - Italy game, don't really mind missing it but it would be great to keep up to date on the score.

unfortunately it is part and parcel of the current game in any big tv tournament

iseethelight made the point if it was taylor it was happening to there would be uproar, well it did happen to taylor, when he played thornton in the premier league in scotland. Even when barney plays taylor in England the majority will be behind taylor

There is no such thing as a quiet crowd, there is no such thing as a respectful darts crowd, not when drink is involved

and it didnt start with the irish, as the commentators have said, its part and parcel of the professional game as the only way to make the big money is to have big crowds. 99% of professionals accept this and 95% of what crowds do wont affect them, in fact im sure the booing didnt affect beaton, it seemed to galvanise him after his shakey start and it silenced the crowd

Where-as if one person shouts something particular at the player that seems to distract them more. Someone shouted something at lewis and lewis snatched the dart, and he pointed at the guy and was mouthing "yeah thanks mate" in an agressive sarky demeanor

Dont get me wrong, im not a fan of booing players, nor do i like that it happened to steve beaton as he seems like a genuine and lovely bloke, but end of the day that IS the professional game in the PDC these days. IF you want the prize money, its what you have to brave. If you want to go back to small scale you can slink back to the BDO, but lets face it

who's talking about ted hankey these days

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Does the money from this tournament go towards the rankings? it would throw him RIGHT up the rankings if it does

Yeah the Grand Prix money does count towards the OOM. He should shoot up a good few places but I doubt he will be in the worlds top 32 which you have to be in order to qualify for the World Championships. A few other routes he can qualify though.

You sure Jacko won;t use some of his earnigs to give a few Pro Tour events a go? I think he would be mad if he didn't. Also this run will do him no harm in trying to find a new sponsor.

Really looking forward to tonight.

Any of you lads going and want to have a beer then give me a shout. I'll be at Table 12 Row L :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just wondering were they doing the beer & food 'token only' scheme last nite and if not are the likely going to start it tonite?.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just wondering were they doing the beer & food 'token only' scheme last nite and if not are the likely going to start it tonite?.

No they weren't doing it and I have heard that they have scrapped it completely. Us Irish don't like that sort of thing so we refused to buy tokens :)

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Yeah the Grand Prix money does count towards the OOM. He should shoot up a good few places but I doubt he will be in the worlds top 32 which you have to be in order to qualify for the World Championships. A few other routes he can qualify though.

You sure Jacko won;t use some of his earnigs to give a few Pro Tour events a go? I think he would be mad if he didn't. Also this run will do him no harm in trying to find a new sponsor.

Really looking forward to tonight.

Any of you lads going and want to have a beer then give me a shout. I'll be at Table 12 Row L :)

If he got a sponsor, Maybe he would, but you have to think of it like this

He works for a living as a truck driver, so wife and kids come first

If he's on the PDC tour, you need to complete something like 18 Players Championships to fulfill your yearly requirement and thus be eligible for TV events and such, i.e. travel to 9 countries (maybe mostly england) and play in 2 players championships @ £100 sterling per entry fee, plus accomodation and food and flights

He said he reckoned you needed 800 per weekend if the flights wernt obscene, not to forget you'll have a few beers.

800 x 9 (minimum) is 7,200, plus its a grand to register and join the PDC for the 2 year contract, at 800 per weekend he would need to be a quarter finalist every time to break even

You most likely will do more than the 9 outings if you want to qualify for any TV stuff where the money is, so initially in the PDC while you have no ranking money (or little) you need to play everything and try get up, meaning you spend even more.

So for every players championship you can expect to make a loss, you only make any money if you hit the TV scene, which apart from the grand prix is next to impossible to do. If you can imagine the top 32 are getting invites to TV tournaments, and these tournaments are paying first round losers 3000-4000 (grand prix is 3500 sterling) just for turning up

It would take winning a players championship or semi final appearances 5 or 6 times in a top class field to make up the money that the top 32 get for turning up.

If Jacko beats barney tomorrow, he will double his OOM standing (which is over 2 years) and currently stands at 22k

So over 2 years he's earned 22k from the PDC (which would be a salary in a low enough paying job) and has spent at minimum 16-20k getting around (16k if he's done the minimum travelling at around 8k costs for 9 weekends)

so he's a few grand in profit

Add to that if he works mon-fri and is away sat and sun in other countries darting, when does he see his family really. if he's seriously going to play pro he would have to practice once home from work.

Not such a tantalising prospect anymore unless your an amazing thrower

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Torres84

So no tokens and no bookies is that 100 per cent..did anyone hear that skybet were open monday but after an incident the staff refused to work again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Torres84 wrote: »
    So no tokens and no bookies is that 100 per cent..did anyone hear that skybet were open monday but after an incident the staff refused to work again

ive heard someone tried to rob one of the bookies on monday? this could be total rubbish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

mdwexford wrote: »
    The atmosphere vs Barney will be amazing if he gets through, cant wait to go tomorrow now :D

yeah just what we all need, plenty of thugs puttin Barney off his already poor game too so Jacko can make the semi's. The PDC should pull this tournament from Ireland if last nights display contines. A complete ****ing shambles and they booed a good player out of the competition so an average one could go through. Pure ****ing disgrace.

padr81 wrote: »
    yeah just what we all need, plenty of thugs puttin Barney off his already poor game too so Jacko can make the semi's. The PDC should pull this tournament from Ireland if last nights display contines. A complete ****ing shambles and they booed a good player out of the competition so an average one could go through. Pure ****ing disgrace.

Happens everywhere, not just ireland, happens in the premier league, happens at bolton, happens at the world champions

definitely should sensationalise it, would make for good headlines

Maybe if they stopped selling drinks in pitchers people might have their wits about them somewhat more

nope i think its top 32 and qualifiers.

Happens everywhere, not just ireland, happens in the premier league, happens at bolton, happens at the world champions

definitely should sensationalise it, would make for good headlines

Maybe if they stopped selling drinks in pitchers people might have their wits about them somewhat more

Thats bull Dion mate, last night was the first time people were booing during a throw in all the pdc events I've ever watched.

Maybe being there (not sure if u were or not mate, but i think you were) it seemed different to you than for us watching on t.v. but I've NEVER and I mean NEVER in my life seen that ****e going on while a player is throwing in any darts event. Not even Thornton vs Taylor or in a Mervyn King game.
    Don't blame it on drink, everywhere else in the world they drink and sing but never do they abuse a player like that while throwing.

I'm glad Jacko got through but after the 2nd set last night I was hoping Beaton would hammer him just to shut up those muppets in the crowd. I hope he does well against Barney but if the crowd start that **** again there will have to be something done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Pity about the boo boys somewhat spoiling a great night darts. Beaton, as a former World champion, deserves more respect than a few drunk (and maybe not drunk) lads as he was throwing at the oche. I'd like to see if he made an issue of it afterward. But, in fairness,Jacko probably deserved it, his opening doubles hit percentage seemed very good.

Barneys mental state and form mean that if the crowd get going tonight, he might throw a wobbly, he looks a bit fragile tbh. If Jacko steps up, he can win for sure, Barney couldn't buy a treble against Newton.

• Advertisement

Just read back my last couple of posts and realised I never gave Jacko any credit. He did brilliantly well and threw some very nice darts. top marks to him as he could only beat what was in front of him. A very good performance.

You've never seen booing in all the PDC events you've watched

Ive seen taylor get booed out of it to thornton while he was throwing, taylor shrugged it off, ive seen lewis get the treatment a number of times,

he's a thread on
    http://www.dartsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=203738

where people are talking about places everywhere having idiots shouting miss and booing

Its unfortunate, but its now part of the game because of the size of the crowds and the level of drink involved

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12535_5162477,00.html

Sid Waddell Discuss's the booing problem back in April

Never been done before tho apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is it Barney who plays well regardless of all the booing. Sometimes even encourages it?

=-=

BTW, who else is dressing up?

i dont think barney would play well with boo-ing, tho with any luck the boo heads from last night were 1 day tickets (the quarters is long sold out)

i imagine your thinking of Mervyn King or Peter Manley or Paul Nicholson, who all insight booing on themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

Hi,

Heading to the 1/4s tonight..Any tips on the gambling?!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭brick tamland

padr81 wrote: »

I'm glad Jacko got through but after the 2nd set last night I was hoping Beaton would hammer him just to shut up those muppets in the crowd.

I was exactly the same

Gerbud wrote: »
    Hi,

Heading to the 1/4s tonight..Any tips on the gambling?!

Thanks

My Tip is gamble pre hand, there's no bookie :D

Lewis to beat taylor is going to be big odds, but lewis is getting away decently and finishing big numbers and seems to have the head for a battle, wouldnt be surprised

Jacko to beat a fragile barney who has struggled so far is 7's so big money out there to be won for an upset

obviously long shots, but both are potentially possible

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

My Tip is gamble pre hand, there's no bookie :D

Lewis to beat taylor is going to be big odds, but lewis is getting away decently and finishing big numbers and seems to have the head for a battle, wouldnt be surprised

Jacko to beat a fragile barney who has struggled so far is 7's so big money out there to be won for an upset

obviously long shots, but both are potentially possible

No betting there at all? There has been the past 2 years!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭wayne76

have to say fair play to jacko he done great but in honesty the crowd in there are a disgrace i've been pissed in there on many occasion and i've never once booed anybody or called out like that i've went in there every year and it's getting worse every year there was nearly a riot there wed ambulances needed trouble on tues too, i dread to think about tonight with a sell out:eek: we were told there's a chance of the premier league in two years and maybe a worlds being held there in the future but it depended a lot on the crowd's and the ass holes going in will ruin the chances of this happening tickets should be only sold in blocks of 4 and be strict on the seating as it seems to be the larger groups sitting together that are worse steve beaton or any player does not deserve that treatment i bet half the dickheads didn't even know who they were cheering for:mad::mad: and as for that kenny egan the carry on of him and his tosser mates tues and wed makes you embarrassed to be irish at times :(

Advertisement