Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Grand Prix Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree with Dion to a degree, it has happened loads of times before. Most noteably was Taylor v Thornton when the Scots booed Taylor and then I think was Mardle v Thornton when the English fans booed Thornton in retaliation to the Scots. King gets booed a lot when throwing, as do other players. It's definitely NOT just an Irish thing.

Saying that though it is a total disgrace, I said it when Newton got booed and I said it when Beaten got booed. I'm sure I said it during the Premier League too when various people were booed. It's a horrible thing to do but as Dion said there isn't anything that can really be done other than the security chucking people out that boo.

Don't agree with anyone wishing defeat on jacko last night though, he did nothing wrong and can't control the crowd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Gerbud wrote: »
    No betting there at all? There has been the past 2 years!!

No cash betting, place your bets before you go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭WilcoYHF

I'm goin tonight but my mates have different seat numbers would there be any hassle jumpin in beside them??

WilcoYHF wrote: »
    I'm goin tonight but my mates have different seat numbers would there be any hassle jumpin in beside them??

Not a chance, bouncers will move you. If there is only one or two you might get away with it but I doubt it. There is a set number of seats so they will know if you are moving any.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Snakey

Guys, where is the new convention centre relative to the hotel/usual venue? Is it in the same complex or a different part of citywest? Thanks

• Advertisement

Yeah its just me the rest are in the same place so i have a bit of a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭wayne76

Snakey wrote: »
    Guys, where is the new convention centre relative to the hotel/usual venue? Is it in the same complex or a different part of citywest? Thanks
    still part of the hotel mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Don't agree with anyone wishing defeat on jacko last night though, he did nothing wrong and can't control the crowd.

No he can't but he did nothing to indicate his disapproval for the booing either. A simple jesture like holding his hand up at the crowd when they were booing during Beaton's turn would have been enough . Likewise I don't think the guy calling the scores made any effort to stop the booing. Bad form all round imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Snakey

Cheers Wayne76

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

How many pints do you reckon you'll drink tonight Snakey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Definitely should read back a few pages

Big uproar monday, something happened, nobody knows for sure what, now its just Skybet there and its account only betting, no cash bets taken

so i imagine there was a robbery or they wouldnt pay out on something or whatever

either way, its not there, get to the bookie prehand

if your standing outside the lobby of the hotel main entrance facing the hotel the new convention centre is at your 5 o clock, back towards the driveway

so if your walking from the front of of the hotel you would walk towards the driveway, on your left, you'll see the SkyBet Sign on the building

WilcoYHF wrote: »
    Yeah its just me the rest are in the same place so i have a bit of a chance?

Yeah if it's just yourself you will probably get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Frankiethegent

I'm heading to the darts tonight for the weekend.

I haven't been in a couple of years, but it sounds like the days when Paddy Powers precided over the Wild Wild (city)West are long gone. The days when you could do your nut chasing Green as a winning double and drop the next night's drinking money on the Breeder's Cup have been well and truly put on hold by Skybet. Go back to your call centres boys and let a real bookie in. Someone with a bag of cash and a chalkboard willing to take on 3000+ punters all convinced this is the night Talyor loses.

I have a feeling tonight that not being crowd favourite will work in Barney's favour. Not sure why, I just think head-the-ball has the world on his shoulders right now and maybe 3000 people booing him (like they did when he started to throw the darts away against Taylor) will focus him a bit. I hope Barney snaps out of this soon. He needs to realise nobody has a right to be on that stage and every time you throw a dart it might not go where you want. There's plenty of hungry, talented dartists out there with the right attitude.
    (*Message to Barney: "Look at Jenkins, the Dennis Irwin of Darts. As solid a Pro as you'll find".)

Finally, if there are any boo's tonight I'm gonna stand on my chair and boo the people booing. Not sure that'll help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

does anyone know what the order of play is tonight.and what time jacko is on at?

anyone got a spare ticket for tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

After last night's carry on can't understand the decision to fix the Barry-Barney clash the last game of the night? Hope Jacko Barry does well but equally i hope the crowd behave themselves but i don't hold out much hope for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Definitely should read back a few pages

Big uproar monday, something happened, nobody knows for sure what, now its just Skybet there and its account only betting, no cash bets taken

so i imagine there was a robbery or they wouldnt pay out on something or whatever

either way, its not there, get to the bookie prehand

There was a robbery on monday night mate!

Jacko's on last, probably about 9.30 unless painter, hamilton and lewis taylor go the whole way

a robbery you say, with so many bouncers and the likes, how did that happen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

The only ones to blame for the booing is the PDC. They've put Barry on last again tonight so they know whats going to happen. While booing is unacceptable, it is a by-product of alcohol, and while i would never behave that way or condone it, it seems rather hypocritical to put the blame totally on the crowd.

Anywho, i've a tenner double on taylor to beat lewis 4-1 and barney to beat barry 4-0:(

And a cheeky fiver on a nine darter in the taylor match at 25-1!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

assante wrote: »
    Ya D G dont want any football hooligans coming to dart games

"Football hooligans" ? I didn't realise Dublin or the surrounding area had a football hooligan problem. The only time I remember hearing anything regarding football hooligans in Dublin was when that crowd of combat 18 scumbags wrecked Lansdown Road in a friendly back in 93(or 94?)
    Last year I saw a fight between Captain America and a Hot Dog.

who won? :D

I heard the hot dog was a mustard fighter :eek: and then he had to ketchup with his mates *gets his coat and runs for cover :p *

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Crowd really getting to Painter....

didnt take too long(or too much alcohol) for the crowd to start their antics. I know Painter can be a bit sore gobbed at times, but that was the most important dart in the game for him and the f**kin pricks start booing

• Registered Users Posts: 17 goodfella

agree crowd are a disgrace same last night for beaton

but painter is a knob and he should concentrate on his darts

he's all show...he'll blame the crowd but in fact he just isn't playing well

hamilton is taking no notice and getting on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 17 goodfella

Degag wrote: »
    The only ones to blame for the booing is the PDC. They've put Barry on last again tonight so they know whats going to happen. While booing is unacceptable, it is a by-product of alcohol, and while i would never behave that way or condone it, it seems rather hypocritical to put the blame totally on the crowd.

they drink in England for the worlds and they don't carry on in that fashion...same old story...some people just can't handle their liquor and make total fools of themselves...

it doesn't reflect well on us at all

Awful, the crowd were a disgrace for the end of that, no method to that booing either

they booed painters double and then booed hamilton's next throw

what is that even like, **** off home you knobs you wont be getting on tv you chav pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

The booing will always be part of darts until they ban alcohol from these types of events I think. Not that I'm suggesting they should. Players have to deal with it, it's just noise at the end of the day and they should be used to operating under those conditions. Painter just took it personal and now he's on his way home. Surely the security at the event could be used to curb it if the PDC really wanted to. A 3 strike and your out rule.

Irish folk love Barney so I would imagine he won't get to much stick later. Lewis on the other hand will have to keep his head if he wants to win, even then he'll need to be hitting a 60% double rate minimum.

quickest bet Ive ever won, went for highest checkout ovr 127.5.....1st leg Lewis hits 128(T18,T18,D10) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

now taylors getting an earful from the crowd.bad publicity for the grand prix.what odds on them booing jacko barry later on.

• Advertisement

shockframe wrote: »
    what odds on them booing jacko barry later on.

thats a ridiculous question

Advertisement