Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    And how will that benefit the M17/M18?:confused:

Typo obviously. The M7 is completed, M17 is what was meant.

I'd be more than happy for Sacyr/N6 Concession to do this; their construction and operation standards are exceptional going on what they've done with the M6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

This would be brilliant,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Something stirred. i'd say that a toll south of Gort somewhere and one north of Athenry will be part of the package.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/19382-spanish-firm-offers-build-motorway-gort-tuam
    Much to the relief of the NRA, they received correspondence from FCC Construction offering to build the motorway – this company has made €1 billion in profits over the past year from lucrative capital projects across Europe.
    But before any contracts can be signed with FCC, the NRA must put the M17/M18 motorway project out to tender again and seek expressions of interest from construction companies. In the current economic climate, the Spanish company are likely to be the only respondents.

Already, the Government has spent in the region of €120 million on the motorway project, with the vast majority of this going on the compulsory acquisition of lands along the route.

So of the 'guesstimated' total cost of €500m €120m is spent, €160m is available from the EIB and the balance would be at MOST €220m and I am pretty sure that it will come in well under that.

So ya gotta ask yourself ....could they pull in up to €20m a year in tolls, hmmm ?? Leo will make his mind up in September whether to let them retender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'm sure the company who run the M6 are very anxious to get the M17/18 built (even if not by themselves). The M17/18 connection to the M6 will generate extra traffic on the M6. Extra traffic for the M6 = more money collected from the M6 toll. Of course if they build the M17/18 themselves then they will make money off that too (through shadow or hard tolls).

The Galway-Ballinasloe section of the M6 is one of the best (if not the best) built motorways in the country. I wouldn't say no to the same company building the M17/18 (and the M20 :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

http://www.galwaynews.ie/19382-spanish-firm-offers-build-motorway-gort-tuam

So the construction companies of fellow "distressed" states aren't so worried about our creditworthiness :D

Fingers crossed:
    The much delayed Gort to Tuam motorway has been thrown a lifeline – a Spanish based consortium has approached the National Roads Authority expressing an interest in constructing the 57 kilometre stretch and work could commence by the end of the year.

It has been learned by The Connacht Tribune that it is the same building company that built the M6 motorway from Galway to Ballinasloe which was opened in early 2010.

FCC Construction, which has its base in Madrid, have written to the National Roads Authority expressing an interest in constructing the M17/M18 motorway along with the Tuam bypass......But before any contracts can be signed with FCC, the NRA must put the M17/M18 motorway project out to tender again and seek expressions of interest from construction companies. In the current economic climate, the Spanish company are likely to be the only respondents.

.Already, the Government has spent in the region of €120 million on the motorway project, with the vast majority of this going on the compulsory acquisition of lands along the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Neworder79 wrote: »
    So the construction companies of fellow "distressed" states aren't so worried about our creditworthiness :D

I get the hint of a little bit of governmental horse trading about this one. If you help us with interest rates, we'll let one of yours build this road.

To paraphrase one German MP/MEP (not an exact quote): I don't mind Ireland getting rich, I have a Mercedes factory in my constituency. The richer they get the more cars they buy from my people. The Spanish still need want our holiday money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Buck Face

From what I hear FCC are not the only Spanish consortium in the country interested in and capable of buildng the new motorway. The NRA and I presume the Minister are well aware of these interests.

However, it was concerning to watch Sean O'Neill claim that due to the current climate a lot of major projects would be put on the long finger due to difficulties that private companies were encountering in securing funding when at the same time companies are aproaching the NRA to say they can secure the necessary funding for the likes of the M17 if given the opportunity.

A new tendering process needs to be streamlined. I hope it is just a perception that the Minister is twiddling his thumbs.

I presume FCC weren't in the original tender if a new one is needed, otherwise wouldn't a winner pullout entitle the next down the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Buck Face

FCC (Global Via) were one of the 4 shortlisted but they didn't make the final list of 2 (BAM v Roadbridge/Strabag/AIB). Afaik the contract can only be awarded to either of the final 2 listed.

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the process but from the outside it seems ludicrous. Surely there has to be a relatively quick way around this? Sean or Leo? Anybody??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

To hell with shortlisting, let them build it. Another 57km of motorway of the same quality as Galway - Ballinasloe would be fantastic. Puts all the other motorways to absolute shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Seems the retendering process has already begun and will be published within weeks. It is possible that FCC will be the accepted tender by september or october and they will build by the end of the year. From what I hear, they will commence at the Gort end and complete the stretch to Rathmorrissey first and link up with the M6 Galway to Ballinasloe motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

What are the chances they'll offer to build the M11 and Newlands X upgrade as well? (Feck it, throw them the M20 too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Tremelo wrote: »
    What are the chances they'll offer to build the M11 and Newlands X upgrade as well? (Feck it, throw them the M20 too.)

Youd imagine that their risk assesors would recommend only doing 1 project at a time in case they encounter a "bog of doom" situation, see how this pans out, then if ok think, "Hmm alot of money in that there M20" and so forth

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gort-Rathmorrisey first makes most sense for their own financial point of view, as it will generate extra paying users on their existing toll; people who might use the M7/M18 to go to Gort and south of Gort due to the better/more consistant roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

MYOB wrote: »
    Gort-Rathmorrisey first makes most sense for their own financial point of view, as it will generate extra paying users on their existing toll; people who might use the M7/M18 to go to Gort and south of Gort due to the better/more consistant roads.

Id wonder are they really that concerned though..

How many people live (or goto) Gort/West Clare/South Galway that do such a journey that often? Of course it all helps, but i seriously doubt theyve given it more than a passing "meh". Personally, going that direction from Athlone will be alot handier (can nuke Loughrea/Kilchreest etc then for all i care :D ) but i cant see the toll revenues going up even 1% over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thinking of tolls, I dont think there CAN (not will) be hard tolls.

You can only toll in 3 possible places. North of Gort (the most likely), north of Kiltiernan (unlikely as its too easy to dodge as you have to drive almost to Athenry to pick up the M18) or north of Rathmorrisey (absolutely noone will use it as Claregalway will still be used).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Interesting that FCC (spanish company) are offering to build M17/M18. Of course given that they have another 25 years to manage the toll on the M6 it makes sense. A completed M17/M18 with junction on the M6 would probably result in more traffic on the M6 and higher toll income.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Thinking of tolls, I dont think there CAN (not will) be hard tolls.

You can only toll in 3 possible places. North of Gort (the most likely), north of Kiltiernan (unlikely as its too easy to dodge as you have to drive almost to Athenry to pick up the M18) or north of Rathmorrisey (absolutely noone will use it as Claregalway will still be used).

If BAM couldn't get money for shadow tolls (due to government's credit rating), do you not think it unlikely that FCC will? Therefore, I think it will have to be hard tolling.

I take your point though, about where you could put tolls. No matter what way you look at it there are dodging possibilities. Even North of Gort - southbound, you could get off at Kiltiernan and on again at Gort, and vice versa northbound. Unless that is, they charge you for getting off/on at Kiltiernan. And if they do, the person manning the toll there is going to have feck all to do given traffic volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 moto111

It was re-tendered because there will be now 2 toll,s on the road and that is between balfour beatty and roadbridge its realy just a re-pricing tender with 2 tolls now added in and the economy factor in there aswell, if none of these can come up with money after that then its open season again if fcc are the only ones to show interest then they will have to agree to do it for the price of the cheapest bidder from the previous two ( balfour beatty or roadbridges price ) and in regards to doing just one section of the motorway first is complete madness as this will put extra cost on the awarding company when it starts it will all be done together .

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    If BAM couldn't get money for shadow tolls (due to government's credit rating), do you not think it unlikely that FCC will? Therefore, I think it will have to be hard tolling.

The FCC consortium includes a (solvent) bank though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 moto111

yes thats true, but they still have to wait for the other two bidders to step down and now that there will be tolls on the road they will find it easier to get finance as there will be money coming from the project when its complete compared to before when there was no tolls and were just relying on the goverment to pay them back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

All I want is dozers moving in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Interesting to see that there is some development on this scheme. I'm still hopeful it will start before year end but it is some hell of a delay from the expected start date back in January. IF FCC build it hopefully it will be as good as the M6 scheme they done.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

Any update on this project?????

Any update on this project?????

None that you'd want to hear...
    Standard & Poor's has just downgraded the senior debt in the €660m Limerick tunnel from BB+ to BBB- and placed it on "creditwatch negative".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/ireland-business-blog-with-lisa-ocarroll/2011/may/31/standard-and-poors-downgrade-limerick-tunnel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.galwaynews.ie/19752-drivers-face-two-tolls-gort-tuam-motorway
    Motorists are likely to face two tolls if a Spanish based company comes on board to construct the much delayed Gort to Tuam motorway – and it is understood that the locations for these have already been identified.
    Sources within the National Roads Authority, who almost lost hope of the motorway ever being built, say that their new found interest is insisting on having two tolls on the route as part of the contract.
    And it has been learned that one of the tolls will be located at Kiltartan, just north of Gort, while the other will be located in the Ballyglunin area to ‘catch’ motorists travelling from Tuam to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

"Motorists are likely to face two tolls"

If it means we actually get the motorway built, put two tolls on it. I think the extra tolls approach will have to be taken for new motorway infrastructure for the foreseeable future, as there just isn't money available from the tax payer.

If it means we actually get the motorway built, put two tolls on it

I'd pay it, existing route isn't tolled north of Limerick and it may be the final hope of financing road projects. Tolls are paying for modern roads all over Europe, they are new to us but with our small population and financial position we have to get used to them.

The completed M18/17 will remove huge bottlenecks and really transform the N/S access along the West coast in terms of safety, reduced journey times and easing pressure on Galway city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Well it be a case of two "half tolls" eg. Each toll is on order of €1.20 -> €1.50? Or would both be full price (whatever they charge on M4 for example).

Advertisement