Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

dubhthach wrote: »
    Well it be a case of two "half tolls" eg. Each toll is on order of €1.20 -> €1.50? Or would both be full price (whatever they charge on M4 for example).

The M3 have 2 €1.30 tolls instead of a single €2.60 toll, so I imagine it'll be something like this.

I just hope the toll is north of the N63 interchange or Claregalway isn't going to get any relief from this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

to ‘catch’ motorists travelling from Tuam to Galway
    The majority of Tuam-Galway commuters won't pay this toll simply because the route is indirect to begin with.

The vast majority of people who pay this toll will be people making long distance journeys.

It's a bit mad to think there could eventually be 5 tolls between Tuam and Cork (M17, M18, Limerick Tunnel and M20 x 2).

It must be said that the M6 toll is very reasonable at €1.80 for 56km. Hopefully the M17/18 tolls will be reasonable also given that it could well be the same company and a similar length scheme. €1 for each of the tolls??? That wouldn't be so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 moto111

I think a petrol car would burn more than 1.80 cent sitting in traffic and starting and stopping by the time you would get the far-side of claregalway in the mornings and evenings, the tolls are the only option people will benefit in the long run and the construction company wont have to fully rely on the goverment to pay them back, plus the better roads we have the more investment we will see west of the shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Ballyglunin area is just north of of N63 right?

So there will be no toll on the stretch/junctions between the N63 and M6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

moto111 wrote: »
    I think a petrol car would burn more than 1.80 cent sitting in traffic and starting and stopping by the time you would get the far-side of claregalway in the mornings and evenings, the tolls are the only option people will benefit in the long run and the construction company wont have to fully rely on the goverment to pay them back, plus the better roads we have the more investment we will see west of the shannon.

But if you take the toll to get to galway city you will be dumped at the galway clinic roundabout and join several other major roads trying to get into the city via one/two roads so youll probably have to queue for the same amount of time that you would queue at claregalway. The hard part of the tuam road at the moment is getting through claregalway, once you get past this the delay is never too bad. Also claregalway shouldnt be as busy as a good portion of the traffic will at that stage take the motorway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Ballyglunin area is just north of of N63 right?

So there will be no toll on the stretch/junctions between the N63 and M6?
    Gmaps is inconsistent or wrong on the exact location of the townland of Ballyglunin. The only info I could get is that the old Ballyglunin train station (closed) is here. So it's still not entirely clear whether the toll is north of the N63 or south.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

spacetweek wrote: »
    Gmaps is inconsistent or wrong on the exact location of the townland of Ballyglunin. The only info I could get is that the old Ballyglunin train station (closed) is here. So it's still not entirely clear whether the toll is north of the N63 or south.

Here's the townland on the OSI map.

The station is just over the "boundary" in the neighbouring townland of: Coolfowerbeg.

The N63 forms the southern boundary of the townland or so it seems going by the 6" (1838) and 25" (1892) maps.
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,546868,741127,6,7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I think (hope :D) it will have to be on the north side of the N63 since otherwise people would just get off and go via Claregalway (especially if the bypass is built separately) or the multitude of rat runs in the area.
    Hope it gets build soon.

Someone mentioned that people would just continue using the old N17, I don't think they will if it gets classified as an R road and left to deteriorate by the council, the Claregalway to Tuam bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Someone mentioned that people would just continue using the old N17, I don't think they will if it gets classified as an R road and left to deteriorate by the council, the Claregalway to Tuam bit.

If it's tolled (it's looking increasingly likely which I mentioned several times previously) then the council and NRA will do everything in their powers to increase the amount of traffic on the new road as can be seen on the Limerick tunnel. Downgrading the N17 to a regional road will probably happen after the new road will open to traffic in 2014 or 2015.

A toll of €1.30 each will probably be put on the M17 and the M18. I think for the majority of road users this toll will be too expensive. For those using the motorway for long distance travel the only option is driving it as the current road is an awful mess.

Hopefully the NRA can get this scheme to construction before the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Sorry to add further doubt to this project but Minister was interviewed on Morning Ireland today regarding regional airport grants and and mentioned "no new road projects starting next year" in the context of 60m spending cuts and 100m in capital cuts to his department budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Sorry to add further doubt to this project but Minister was interviewed on Morning Ireland today regarding regional airport grants and and mentioned "no new road projects starting next year" in the context of 60m spending cuts and 100m in capital cuts to his department budget.

This is due to start this year. It is being backed by a consortium headed by Ocean Finance and wonga.com.

To Yeehaw can you confirm your info is solid and i presume your talking about balfour beatty and bam as the contractors ?? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Why are they tolling roads, why not put an extra 5c a litre on fuel and ring fence that for road building and maintenance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

funnyname wrote: »
    Why are they tolling roads, why not put an extra 5c a litre on fuel and ring fence that for road building and maintenance?

Because the state are not funding the construction of the road. It is being built through the PPP process.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

To Yeehaw can you confirm your info is solid and i presume your talking about balfour beatty and bam as the contractors ?? thanks

You may want to check who those "lenders" are...

(he's joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

glineli wrote: »

I thought that Spanish firm [FCC] were keen to take this project on!

Was that all crap. Had a look on the english version of their website but could'nt find any reference to them tendering for it.

Anyone heard anything?

paper will always soak ink

betistuc wrote: »
    I thought that Spanish firm [FCC] were keen to take this project on!

Was that all crap. Had a look on the english version of their website but could'nt find any reference to them tendering for it.

Anyone heard anything?

Nothing in the reports suggested that they had tendered. What has been reported is that they have expressed interest to the NRA in the case that BAM have to pull out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Galway not getting much from fine gale, airport now m17. Outer bypass etc

• Advertisement

Endas Five point plan must have got the shredder after meeting angela merkel

gally74 wrote: »
    Galway not getting much from fine gale, airport now m17. Outer bypass etc

sorry, but your comment is just plain wrong
    - the airport had been warned previously to get its finances in order by the previous govt
    - m17 has been delayed since late last year, when ff were in govt.
    - outer bypass is stuck in the courts due to environmental issues

None of the above are delayed due to fg

To clarify, Im not in favour of any party in particular and did not vote fg or ff last election

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

sorry, but your comment is just plain wrong
    - the airport had been warned previously to get its finances in order by the previous govt
    - m17 has been delayed since late last year, when ff were in govt.
    - outer bypass is stuck in the courts due to environmental issues

None of the above are delayed due to fg

To clarify, Im not in favour of any party in particular and did not vote fg or ff last election

Indeed the airport has always been problematic. It should never have been built in Carnmore, from what I recall reading was that the original proposal back in the 1970's was the Army shooting range in Oranmore which was the former RFC/RAF landing strip.

However Carnmore was built by a german industrialist who had a factory near by. I recall back in the 1990's there was a proposal to move the Airport to Oranmore where at least you could build a runway that was long enough to take 737's. If I recall right one reason that Dept. of Defence was opposed was due to the fact that they hope to develop Oranmore site as a Business park in the future -- my memory bit hazy on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

I'd honestly close the airport, buil the m17 and Shannon is pretty close, knock up the road too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That looks like a load of guff to me. While the Outer bypass and rail links etc are dead, it doesnt say specifically that it would be shelved. We know more on here than the Galway News does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

That looks like a load of guff to me. While the Outer bypass and rail links etc are dead, it doesnt say specifically that it would be shelved. We know more on here than the Galway News does.

When there is no quotes or anything i do take it with a pinch of salt.

Lets hope the interest from this Spanish crowd is real and contracts get signed before the end of the year

There will be NO road going ahead until mid 2013 the earliest and that itself is a maybe it is looking like mid 2014 this information is 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

The weekend papers reported the remaining 5bn NPR money may be used as part of the "New ERA" stimulus plan, our overlords permitting. Much of that is Energy, Communications and Water infrastructure though.

There will be NO road going ahead until mid 2013 the earliest and that itself is a maybe it is looking like mid 2014 this information is 100%

really?

BAM have apparently won the contract for the Jackie Healy Rae Road N22 Tralee bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Can someone please explain to me why, if some Spanish lads want to build this road and toll it, why the government don't just let them?

Advertisement