Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I went through that Galway Dev Plan someone posted. They're planning on dualling the N17 from the city as far as Parkmore (here).

Considering the two 90-degree bends on the CG bypass on the left-hand end, I wonder if they're planning on eventually dualling the gap (Parkmore-2nd CG bypass roundabout). Would make sense, but then the M17 will only be used by traffic coming from the south and not Galway itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ye are looking at the OLD plans for the Claregalway Inner Relief Road.

The more recent plans, which I cant find but I used to have, eliminate the first two roundabouts from the southern end, and just run the road straight through them. T junctions provided instead.

Makes the route MUCH more viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Any news on this? The delay of this scheme is really annoying and is costing the local economy millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Heard Sean O'Neill from the NRA on NewsTalk yesterday and he said that it is awaiting final approval on funding and that it should be in place within a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Hopefully it will start soon drove the gort bypass on Friday for the first time it was really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Anyone, anything? I check everyday for updates in the hope that someone will have good news on this. No news is good news is it?

glineli wrote: »
    Anyone, anything? I check everyday for updates in the hope that someone will have good news on this. No news is good news is it?

I think emails to the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport are needed to get some clarity on the progress of this project. He may become more aware of the increasing frustration of the delay of this road scheme and look into the matter and deal with the NRA further on this. If funds cannot be immediately avaibable then the stragetic investment bank should be used to part fund this. You could describe this proposed road as a "shovel ready" scheme

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tech3 wrote: »
    then the stragetic investment bank should be used to part fund this. You could describe this proposed road as a "shovel ready" scheme

The EIB already part funded this project up to €170m or so. minister@transport.ie or minister@transport.gov.ie will get to a minion who will brush you off with waffle. A question in parliament would be better.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The EIB already part funded this project up to €170m or so. minister@transport.ie or minister@transport.gov.ie will get to a minion who will brush you off with waffle. A question in parliament would be better.

So would it be better to pass the question onto an independent like "ming" who will shout it across the dáil?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Just as an aside and not directly replying to this post, to be honest, the minister (any minister) should be too busy doing their job to respond personally to queries from members of the general public IMO.

I wrote to Leo Varadkar about crappy and misleading road signage in Clonsilla when he was a councillor and he responded with detail and enthusiasm. The signs were eventually fixed, but I did contact the responsible department myself so not sure what got it fixed.

I think people should feel free to contact the minister's department, but to expect personal replies is way OTT. If ministers replied personally to each letter or email they receive they would get absolutely no other work done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION URGED OVER M18

March 29, 2011 - 3:09pm GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION URGED OVER M18

The Minister for Transport is being asked to intervene to progress the building of the M18 Gort to Tuam motorway.

At a meeting of Galway County Council this week, Councillors Seán Canney and Michael Fahy proposed that the Council write to Minister Leo Varadkar.

The Gort to Tuam Scheme would be a non-tolled Public/Private partnership.

The National Roads Authority says the preferred bidder for the €500 million scheme can't complete the tendering process.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/18564-government-intervention-urged-over-m18

I thought negotiations were ongoing with the 2nd preferred consortia? It is a disgrace that nothing has been done with this yet.

As for the emails to the Minister, yes I do believe he wont read any of them but if there was a significant amount going to his officials then eventually it would be highlighted. He seems to be busy on the tourism side of late or more focused on it. Anyone else remember the M9 opening farcical? A government intervention is needed IMO.

To SpongeBob and others, the question has been asked(written question) in the dáil but the usual bulls**t is being relayed back. This is hopeless and anyone that has any bit of interest in roads will know a reply like this is truly shocking stuff

Deputy Éamon Ó Cuív asked the Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar when work is due to commence on the Gort to Tuam motorway project; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

Minister for Transport (Deputy Leo Varadkar)
    As Minister for Transport, I have responsibility for overall policy and funding in relation to the national roads programme element of Transport 21. The construction, improvement and maintenance of individual national roads, is a matter for the National Roads Authority (NRA) under the Roads Acts 1993 to 2007 in conjunction with the local authorities concerned.

Noting this I have referred the Deputy’s question to the NRA for direct reply. Please advise my private office if you don’t receive a reply within 10 working days.

And the same sh*t on the GCOB:

Deputy Éamon Ó Cuív asked the Minister for Transport Information on Leo Varadkar Zoom on Leo Varadkar his plans regarding the Galway city bypass; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [5295/11]

Minister for Transport (Deputy Leo Varadkar): As Minister for Transport, I have responsibility for overall policy and funding in relation to the national roads programme element of Transport 21. The construction, improvement and maintenance of individual national roads, is a matter for the National Roads Authority under the Roads Acts 1993 to 2007 in conjunction with the local authorities concerned.

Noting this I have referred the Deputy’s question to the NRA for direct reply. Please advise my private office if you don’t receive a reply within 10 working days.

Link

I think the next question is does he know that he is still responsible for answering key questions in relation to some of the big transport projects in this country and not fobbing it back off to the NRA. Or his officials in fact for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

KevR

Unfortunately the only thing worth noting about that it that some of the area councilors involved are starting to get their acts together. Michael ('the stroke') Fahy is from Ardrahan and Sean Canny is from Tuam, the first and last places to directly benefit from the road.

It's a pity that Fahy has gotten involved now, he'll attract more derision that frankeen ever did and detract from the merits of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=MAR209095

RPS appointed as consultant engineers for Claregalway bypass. Isnt the bypass part of the PPP? Would this mean they are going to progress with the bypass as a stand alone project if the PPP does not go ahead?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I didn't think that the relief road/bypass (which will be an R road if the PPP goes ahead) is in the PPP package.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Isnt the bypass part of the PPP? Would this mean they are going to progress with the bypass as a stand alone project if the PPP does not go ahead?

The proposed M17/18 was one of the reasons that the bypass wasn't built - NRA claimed that the PPP project would be sufficient. This shouldn't affect or be affected by the status of the PPP

More of the same again:

M17.jpg

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Thats an out of office autoreply if ever ive seen one...

Cmon Leo - wake the feck up

It must be 10 days since and still nothing. Can we contact his office!!!

I heard on the last word last week about no decisions will be made until september regarding departmental spending, not sure if roads included.

• Advertisement

glineli wrote: »
    It must be 10 days since and still nothing. Can we contact his office!!!

Emailed O'Cuiv today to see if he's heard anything since march. Will post again if he (or more likely his office) replies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tech3 wrote: »
    More of the same...
    What's so ridic about this is that if you asked the NRA like he says, they'd refer you to him - they're waiting for his response. Talk about passing the buck!

antoobrien wrote: »
    Emailed O'Cuiv today to see if he's heard anything since march. Will post again if he (or more likely his office) replies.

Response forn O'Cuiv:

Did get letter from NRA. No new information was forthcoming. I agree with absolute necessity of both projects. Will continue to push. Eamon O Cuiv

Edit: Just in case anybody isn't clear the email was about both the M17/18 and the GCOB

antoobrien wrote: »
    Response forn O'Cuiv:

Did get letter from NRA. No new information was forthcoming. I agree with absolute necessity of both projects. Will continue to push. Eamon O Cuiv

Better than nothing i guess

Got letter from local TD today to say no contract will be signed uptil Q4 2011.
    Ah well....

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Buck Face

I sent the Minister an e-mail expressing my disappointment at his elusive answers to the written questions and making the point that even though he may not be responsible for getting the actual construction end of things started I would expect that he would have a keen enough interest to be able to answer the question or at least show enough interest to give people an indication that the project is one of his priorities and give us some glimmer of light for the future. However I got a sharp reponse telling me he didn't like the tenor of my e-mail.

I asked him why he couldn't answer a question on something as simple as the timeline and he replied with -

'Unfortunately there are insufficient resources within my department to respond to parliamentary questions in the manner outlined by you'.

But yet he managed to find the time to respond to my e-mail?

He finished off his response with -

'I am acutely aware of the importance of these and other infrastructure projects around the country. As such, I am currently reviewing my department’s capital spending plans in order to ensure that the maximum return for the state’s investment in infrastructure is achieved'.

If I heard him correctly last week he said he was undertaking a spending review which, due to its importance, would take until September. If true, it is simply not good enough.

Buck Face wrote: »
    I sent the Minister an e-mail expressing my disappointment at his elusive answers to the written questions and making the point that even though he may not be responsible for getting the actual construction end of things started I would expect that he would have a keen enough interest to be able to answer the question or at least show enough interest to give people an indication that the project is one of his priorities and give us some glimmer of light for the future. However I got a sharp reponse telling me he didn't like the tenor of my e-mail.

I asked him why he couldn't answer a question on something as simple as the timeline and he replied with -

'Unfortunately there are insufficient resources within my department to respond to parliamentary questions in the manner outlined by you'.

But yet he managed to find the time to respond to my e-mail?

He finished off his response with -

'I am acutely aware of the importance of these and other infrastructure projects around the country. As such, I am currently reviewing my department’s capital spending plans in order to ensure that the maximum return for the state’s investment in infrastructure is achieved'.

Would you like some ketchup for that chip on your shoulder Leo?

He really shouldnt be so passive aggressive/bordering on arrogant as a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Would you like some ketchup for that chip on your shoulder Leo?

He really shouldnt be so passive aggressive/bordering on arrogant as a minister.

Arrogance is the first requirement to being a politician. It's what makes them believe that they can do the job better than the incumbents in the first place. Us electing them reinforces that self-belief/arrogance, and this is further enhanced by elevation to ministerial office.

Having said that Leo has an extra touch compared to some others - comparable to Dermot Ahern from the ancien regime, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 black diamond

From Twitter; Connaught tribune - Spanish construction firm who built the m6 has come in to build m7. Full report in tom paper.
    If this is true this would be a great development as they are a hugh consortium with their own bank I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

From Twitter; Connaught tribune - Spanish construction firm who built the m6 has come in to build m7. Full report in tom paper.
    If this is true this would be a great development as they are a hugh consortium with their own bank I think!

And how will that benefit the M17/M18?:confused:

Advertisement