Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

who actually watches or buys blue ray movies? ffs get real will you! your coming over all ps fanboi on us now:o lol

People who own HDTVs. Planet Earth is amazing in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

who actually watches or buys blue ray movies? ffs get real will you! your coming over all ps fanboi on us now:o lol

so just because you dont buy or watch them no one does? i have both consoles so i'll give my opinion on them.

the fact your most intelligent response is to say "fanboy" says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

i am a 360 owner but I think tbh the 360 trumps it, I just couldnt see anything about the ps3 to make me want to buy one?

I have a HD tv with HD digital feeds, I have a respectable dvd collection but thinking about it I dont watch them that much so I dont think the lure of blu ray would make a diff.

I dont play online the idea just never bothered me I am all about a relaxing one player experience so you'd imagine a ps3 would be up my street but with next to no exclusives on ps3 that I'd be bothered about as opposed to the ones on 360 its no contest.

Wii - casual
    ps3 - Semi casual
    360 - full time gamer.
    PC - Hardcore gamer.

Thats how it appears to me. Seems like ps3 owners are the wideboy version of gamers that will buy sports games and play a few hours a week, wont be aware of release lists and buys big games more so to not be left out of the loop. Free online gaming is tempting but when something is free its usually sh1te.... which PSN really is .... I know that sounds fan boy is its just I can see the next playstation press conference with the line "we've learned a lot from mistakes made with the ps3" ... that for me sums it up.... a sony stumble.

I hope Sony does learn from it though, it'd be better for all gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

hightower1 wrote: »
    Thats how it appears to me. Seems like ps3 owners are the wideboy version of gamers that will buy sports games and play a few hours a week, wont be aware of release lists and buys big games more so to not be left out of the loop.

I agree! No wait.. what??!

If anything i think the "casualness" of the consoles (360 & PS3) is equal if not leaning more on the 360 side. The age demographic of the 360 is lower than the PS3 and as a result you get a LOT of 12-16 year olds who own an xbox purely to play cod, fifa and GTA. This is evened out by the massive base of post teen gamers, however i think your summary of the PS3 gamer is completely off the ball.

We must conduct a nationwide poll...

I'll get the paper, you get the pens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

People who own HDTVs. Planet Earth is amazing in HD
    i have a hdtv and i got a present of blue ray player from the missus! i wouldnt be bothered paying extra for blue ray now ill wait a few years thanks!

• Advertisement

so just because you dont buy or watch them no one does? i have both consoles so i'll give my opinion on them.

the fact your most intelligent response is to say "fanboy" says it all really.
    i also have owned both consoles so i have an opinion on both!

and you insult my intelligence? - hence your name - brian plank?? as ____ as a plank?????? lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

console fanboyism was so 1999

i have a hdtv and i got a present of blue ray player from the missus! i wouldnt be bothered paying extra for blue ray now ill wait a few years thanks!

So you speak for everyone?

So you speak for everyone?
    gummy were you bullied in school? why so confrontational? i speak for myself thanks why do you ask?

gummy were you bullied in school? why so confrontational? i speak for myself thanks why do you ask?

eh.. what?

Ah screw this, you can go on ignore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Eh, who said PS3 was casual, it most certainly is not.

Its more expensive and the average casual gamer won't be interested in much more than COD, Fifa, Battlefield e.t.c which are multi-platform and because of that they pick the 360.

In levels of casualness
    Wii (No need to even mention why)
    360 (Its slightly more casual than a PS3, you hardly find any immature kids playing on the PS3 and I have both)
    PS3 (Not all too hardcore, Not all too casual though, You can get both depending on the game but the price of a PS3 turns casual gamers to the 360 which is cheaper atleast to buy)
    PC (Every single type of person except extremely casual Fifa Players e.t.c. You get the extremely competitive "Must have K/D ratio of 10 or above" to the hardcore to the just regular gamer.

I prefer the PS3 though simply for its sheer power and the exclusive games. Unchartered 2 and MGS 4 and MAG is sure to be a hit come next year(Three of my friends are trading in their 360s for a PS3 and MAG!).
    Sony are slowly winning back market share with the PS3 because of the sheer amount of things it can do and the flexibility it gives you. With Microsoft its all properietary hard drives and properietary Wifi dongles. With sony its compatibility with USB devices is almost PC-Like and its abilities beside gaming make it the ultimate entertainment machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I prefer the PS3 though simply for its sheer power and the exclusive games. Unchartered 2 and MGS 4 and MAG is sure to be a hit come next year(Three of my friends are trading in their 360s for a PS3 and MAG!)

Thats THREE exclusive games? Look at the amount of exclusives the 360 has taken from Sony not to mention the true exclusives to 360... its a lot more than 3.

Its gas, Sony are the only company in the world to be competing with themselves instead of rivals....

If they drop blue ray player prices to increase the sales PS3 sales drop like a rock because lets face it we ALL know someone who bought a PS3 and only uses it for blue ray.... if they drop the price of ps3 they ruin sales of stand alone blue ray players.

PSN sucks and blows at the same time, Any game on ps3 worth buying a console based on is on 360 anyway, the list of exclusive titles for ps3 Vs. 360's is pitiful..... killzone 2? Killzone one was sh1te so why do I want 2? Motorstorm? Hey how about project gothom.... Gran Turismo.... lol sony's running joke.... I'll take forza 2 thanks.
    Graphically they are next to identical, yes ps3 is better at textures but worse at contrasts.

I simply dont like sony because I used ot sell LCD's, I asked the Sony rep one day "when the philps tv is the same size, spec etc how can you charge 200eur more?" ... he replied ..."because its Sony" in a ed begly junior level of self satisfaction, this is how high on themselves they really are. its a pity ps3 is so bad, better consoles mean better competition mean better deals for gamers. When one console sucks we all feel it.

Ps3 is bought by tracksuit wearers and bmw drivers.... and we all know what they are.

First off, holy fanboyism!!
    Thats THREE exclusive games? Look at the amount of exclusives the 360 has taken from Sony not to mention the true exclusives to 360... its a lot more than 3.

Hmm 3 PS3 exclusives ey? God of war 1,2 and 3, MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, MAG, Uncharted 1&2, Infamous, Killzone 2, Agent, FF XIV, Demon Souls,FF XIII Versus, Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian, LBP, MotorStorm 1&2, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance 1&2, Valkyria Chronicles, Warhawk, White Knight Chronicles, Wipeout HD, too lazy to name more..
    Its gas, Sony are the only company in the world to be competing with themselves instead of rivals....

If they drop blue ray player prices to increase the sales PS3 sales drop like a rock because lets face it we ALL know someone who bought a PS3 and only uses it for blue ray.... if they drop the price of ps3 they ruin sales of stand alone blue ray players.

I think your theory is a bit screwed up there.. Average Blu Ray player is 150+ euro, PS3 is €300, your basically paying less than 150 euro for a games console, if you choose to look at it that way, now excuse my crazy thinking here, but isn't that good value? On top of that the PS3's Bluray player is still one of the best on the market.

Sony are not the only manufacturers of blu ray players, it's not as if they monopolize the blu ray market, nearly every electronic brand has their own Bluray player.
    PSN sucks and blows at the same time, Any game on ps3 worth buying a console based on is on 360 anyway, the list of exclusive titles for ps3 Vs. 360's is pitiful..... killzone 2? Killzone one was sh1te so why do I want 2? Motorstorm? Hey how about project gothom.... Gran Turismo.... lol sony's running joke.... I'll take forza 2 thanks.
    Graphically they are next to identical, yes ps3 is better at textures but worse at contrasts.

All i read was "fanboyism fanboyism fanboyism". Only reason i quoted it is because it's funneh :D

Actually, the 360 is better at textures while the PS3 is better at contrast/shading.
    I simply dont like sony because I used ot sell LCD's, I asked the Sony rep one day "when the philps tv is the same size, spec etc how can you charge 200eur more?" ... he replied ..."because its Sony" in a ed begly junior level of self satisfaction, this is how high on themselves they really are. its a pity ps3 is so bad, better consoles mean better competition mean better deals for gamers. When one console sucks we all feel it.

I believe the same logic could be applied to the contraceptive industry...
    Ps3 is bought by tracksuit wearers and bmw drivers.... and we all know what they are.

PS3 owners are well off and physically fit people?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

Here is my 2cents.

Ive owned a Wii and sold it to get a ps3.
    A wii is great fun as a multiplayer with a couple of people playing it at the same time in the same room.
    As a single player it gets boring, and the online play is limited.

The ps3 is great, cant fault it really as it does everything well.
    single players are great, online is fantastic and it has lots of other features too.

The Xbox was considered but I felt even though it was cheaper the online subscription would soon add up to the more expensive ps3 and eventually you would pay more.

I do wish that some day all games would be released on all formats cos some games on the xbox etc are great but saying that specific ps3 games i would never get rid of ever.

Dont start me on pcs, a new game means new graphic cards, patches, up dates and generral hassle in my opinion.
    That all adds up too, I prefer hassle free gaming even ps3 games annoy me with updating.

Well thats my honest opinion, dont really care what anyone thinks cos im by far a hardcore gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Eh i love Bluray and yes i do buy them. Im pretty sure the format is actually a success story.
    Granted some of them are crap and well you may as well watch them on DvD but i think that was more prevalent with earlier releases. Theres a bluray review website out there (cant remember the url) which has very good reviews of the quality and features.

hightower1 wrote:

What exclusives have MS taken off Sony? What you said implies it went from exclusive to Sony to exclusive to Xbox. Yes FF and a couple of others have gone multiplatform, thats nothing to do with anything really.
    Its just more lucrative for the company. Games production costs have skyrocketed, they need a much larger target audience.

Can you correct me? Please for the love of god dont put forward failed timed exclusive DLC as evidence, that would be really pathetic.

eh.. what?

Ah screw this, you can go on ignore
    likewise!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

raycaulwell - keep on topic please, and stop derailing this thread with petty arguments and trolling.

PSN sucks and blows at the same time

all its missing is cross game chat to be exactly the same as XBL. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

all its missing is cross game chat to be exactly the same as XBL. :confused:
    While I dislike the idea of quoting myself I also dislike repeating the same thing over and over again.
    gizmo wrote: »
    First off, the clear cut advantages - cross game chat/invites and the party system, all of which are pretty well documented at this point so don't need much explaining. This level of dashboard integration also extends to seeing exactly what your friends are up to in-game, rather than just the name of the game they are playing. Handy for knowing whether to bother them with an invite for a multiplayer game when they're knee deep in the game's single player. Finally you also have TrueSkill, a not so obvious advantage, which means you'll be paired up with people of similar ability rather than being thrown in with more experienced players constantly

As for the games I find there are more quality releases on XBL (although I'm quite aware there are also some crackers on PSN) and every one of them has a demo, a big advantage if you want to be careful with your money. Outside of games I also find there is more general content on Live with the likes of the SentUAMessage, IGN (yay for oogling Chobot) and the movie/video download service already in place. Wrapping this up I find Live easier to find stuff on via it's menus although I do find PSN prettier with the pictures. :)

Finally, on top of all this you also have services like Last.fm/Facebook/Twitter integration (yes I'm aware FB is now on the PSN) as well as more freebies such as the fun looking Joyride. Sky Player is also out for those willing to shell out or as a nice little bonus for those who already ahve the home service with multiroom.

All of this comes at a cost of less than €3 a month if you get your membership online or €4 if you want to be lazy and get it in-store. Certainly worth it I reckon.
    I've updated it to highlight the recent updates on both consoles. So basically no, cross game chat is not all PSN needs to be on part with XBL.

Oh and on a side-note...
    Hmm 3 PS3 exclusives ey? God of war 1,2 and 3, MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, MAG, Uncharted 1&2, Infamous, Killzone 2, Agent, FF XIV, Demon Souls,FF XIII Versus, Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian, LBP, MotorStorm 1&2, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance 1&2, Valkyria Chronicles, Warhawk, White Knight Chronicles, Wipeout HD, too lazy to name more..
    Half the games you've listed aren't even out yet and may not even be out next year in some cases so to list them as pros now is ridiculous. That being said there are enough released exclusives for the console to justify it's purchase so your point would be better made if you concentrated on them imo.

While I dislike the idea of quoting myself I also dislike repeating the same thing over and over again.

I've updated it to highlight the recent updates on both consoles. So basically no, cross game chat is not all PSN needs to be on part with XBL.

it is possible on some of the latest games to see exactly what your friends are doing in game and on MW2 at least theres a "join session" option under peoples names.

as for IGN and sentuamessage etc., they are all available on youtube and if you really want to look at them the PS3 has an internet browser. all of this for only €0 per month.

your right about the friend activity thing i suppose and joining friends is much easier on the 360. that needs to be on all games + cross game chat and PSN would really be as good. as it is though its not €50 a year behind imo.

• Advertisement

it is possible on some of the latest games to see exactly what your friends are doing in game and on MW2 at least theres a "join session" option under peoples names.

as for IGN and sentuamessage etc., they are all available on youtube and if you really want to look at them the PS3 has an internet browser. all of this for only €0 per month.

your right about the friend activity thing i suppose and joining friends is much easier on the 360. that needs to be on all games + cross game chat and PSN would really be as good. as it is though its not €50 a year behind imo.
    50 euro a year behind? i can get xbox live for a year for 25! but yes 50 euro is expensive but i had a ps3 and no one is ever online on psn - maybe im wrong but i would always be willing to spend a few euro for a great service!

50 euro a year behind? i can get xbox live for a year for 25! but yes 50 euro is expensive but i had a ps3 and no one is ever online on psn - maybe im wrong but i would always be willing to spend a few euro for a great service!

:rolleyes:. i'm always willing to pay for a great service myself but getting one for free is so much nicer ;). there a big difference between "willing" and pay up or play offline. it doesn't matter if it's 25 or 50 quid its always a punch in the guts every year to pay for something thats provided free elsewhere.

:rolleyes:. i'm always willing to pay for a great service myself but getting one for free is so much nicer ;). there a big difference between "willing" and pay up or play offline. it doesn't matter if it's 25 or 50 quid its always a punch in the guts every year to pay for something thats provided free elsewhere.
    remember silver live? free just cant play online but ya still get all the benefits of the 360s services! it wont bother many 360 owners if psn remains free but to get the level of gaming and service then psn will eventually have to charge! i am sure psn will be looking at the books saying its a recession and we are not charging for a service! how can they justify employing staff without charging? a good note on ps3s books is that the UNCHARTED series is fantastic and im partial to KILLZONE too ;) xbox - GOW GOW2 FABLE 2 i could keep going lol

seriously though i know both consoles are good! I THINK OVERALL THE POINTS BALANCE OUT FOR BOTH OF THEM!

remember silver live? free just cant play online but ya still get all the benefits of the 360s services!

seriously though i know both consoles are good! I THINK OVERALL THE POINTS BALANCE OUT FOR BOTH OF THEM!

i don't really know what to say about the silver account comment because it makes no sense but i agree with the other part. if your into games you NEED both consoles. the wii is gay. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Perhaps, although that is a game specific feature, not PSN wide and therefore cannot be used as a pro for the service.
    Some of the videos are available on Youtube sure but imo, it's nicer to have them integrated into the Dashboard and only one button press away rather than fiddling with an on-screen keyboard and searching for said video. Plus there are many videos which are exclusive to the Dashboard, some of which will be more useful to others but there always a host of interesting things only a button press or two away.
    Well again this is where we disagree slightly, I think all of the above are worth paying that extra premium for (not €50 mind you as it can be had for cheaper online). You also need to acknowledge the fact that, between the two services, MS has actually been the first to implement many of these features and are leaving Sony to play catchup (FB/online video streaming) or look for workarounds (Netflix in the US). Of course some people may prefer not to spend the money on this service and that's fair enough, it's just a minor annoyance when they trumpet the "free online" of PSN without highlighting it's reduced feature set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

if your into games you NEED both consoles.

Don't be silly.

Don't be silly.

Don't you be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Don't you be silly.

defining how much you're "into" games by whether you own certain consoles or not is fucking retarded no matter which way you slice it.

defining how much you're "into" games by whether you own certain consoles or not is fucking retarded no matter which way you slice it.

1) "Retarded"? That is a stupid and obscene adjective to use.

2) Well if you want to play all the best games your gonna need the different consoles to play different exclusives (ie. Uncharted, Gears etc.), so in that regard he's spot on.

• Advertisement

Well again this is where we disagree slightly, I think all of the above are worth paying that extra premium for (not €50 mind you as it can be had for cheaper online). You also need to acknowledge the fact that, between the two services, MS has actually been the first to implement many of these features and are leaving Sony to play catchup (FB/online video streaming) or look for workarounds (Netflix in the US). Of course some people may prefer not to spend the money on this service and that's fair enough, it's just a minor annoyance when they trumpet the "free online" of PSN without highlighting it's reduced feature set.

you have to remember the 360 did have a 1 year headstart so naturally its going to be the first with most features. as for being happy to pay to see IGN videos and sentuamessage on startup i'd reckon your in the minority there. given the choice id have a free online service and they could keep their videos.

i think thats where we'll always disagree however because i just dont look at any of that stuff but obviously some do. the thing that bugs me about paying for the 360 online is when it comes to gameplay theres no differnce at all other than cross game chat and the ability to join friends easily.

Advertisement