Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

thebman wrote: »
    None of the 360's I've heard on have ever been nearly as quiet as a PS3 and I install all games on mine to try to reduce noise.

It still sounds like there is unnecessary friction or something inside by the fan.
    disagree here my 360 (jasper model) runs quietly when games are downloaded to hd

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

thebman wrote: »
    None of the 360's I've heard on have ever been nearly as quiet as a PS3 and I install all games on mine to try to reduce noise.

It still sounds like there is unnecessary friction or something inside by the fan.

+1
    disagree here my 360 (jasper model) runs quietly when games are downloaded to hd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

hi there all, im gonna try give my best unbiased views of the three consoles :)

Wii - had it in the house for about 2 months, hated it pile of cack, even the 8 year old in the house got bored of it.

PS3 - pretty much bought just for MGS4, i love it, it really is a beautifully finished machine. it has every feature needed, and some excellent exclusives, also it seems when i go to buy pre-owned games, the PS3 version is usually cheaper. also i personally love the PS3 controller, now thats just personal choice, just because its best for me, doesnt mean its the same for anyone else. on the whole, i love it.

XBOX 360 - ive had this for a few months now, had frick all money so could only buy a refurbished arcade unit. cost me 200 notes with a pre-owned copy of PGR4, and the extended 2 year warranty (which i will probably need :S) for games, this has forza, the best racer out at the minute (probably until the arrival of GT5) and some cracking exclusives, although most must have games are on both consoles. The hardware itself feels like the development was really rushed, it is unbelievably noisy! (if you pay for the HDD this is rectified) and i feel the wireless controller design is ruined with the big lump of a battery compartment microsoft thre in just so they could sell their own battery packs and cheap out on the production of the controllers.

overall i feel the PS3 is a better choice, it feels really well built, its quiet, free online, better controllers and pretty much the same level for quality of game libraries.

also a PS3 with a rechargable controller and wifi costs EUR300

an xbox 360 with same cap HDD costs EUR250, wireless another EUR50 and to make your controller rechargable costs another 12, so it costs 312 altogether. if you wanna play online for a year you have to shell out another 50.

all in all the PS3 is better, but even so i dont feel ya can get away without a 360

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

so really its just cross game chat and parties. everything else is available on the PS3 through the internet browser. :D
    Not quite, you left out the better selection of games on XBLA all of which have their own demos and the fact that said videos are exclusive to XBL. :)

Plus, cross game chat/invites and the party system are unbelievably huge benefits if you game online. Having used both consoles it's a massive pain in the arse that the PS3 doesn't have it. That being said it has been rumored that the next firmware update will include the former service so fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I have a PS3. I love it.
    I have a 360. I love it.
    I have a Wii. I love it.
    I have a PC. I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Have a PS3 and and a 360. Haven't played my 360 since christmas pretty much, currently sitting in my wardrobe waiting for LFD2. My PS3 is used at lest 20 hours weekly. I'm not really offering any pro's and con's here because they already have been mentioned, but my choice is obviously the PS3.

Can't say i really care about "texure pop in" or "shoddy shading", doesn't effect my experience at all, for me it's all about the gameplay, which is exactly the same for both consoles on 99% of games, just for some reason i buy multi platform games on the PS3, probable because i prefer trophies to achievements. Again, don't know why :P

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭coldpaw

Thinking of getting one of these consoles in the near future. Which would people recommend. Like playing computer but not a hardcore gamer.

I heard xbox is more prone to packing up, some red ring of death thingy?

Wouldn't be able to connect to net as don't have broadband at home, does this make a difference.

It seems the same games are on both, and xbox is cheaper, just more likely to pack it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

coldpaw wrote: »
    It seems the same games are on both, and xbox is cheaper, just more likely to pack it in
    In short, that is my opinion also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

It depends on what you want to play.

The new versions of the Xbox don't share the reliability issues of the older versions And if you do have a problem, Microsoft will fix it fairly quickly. Ive had mine around 2 years with no problems.

Xbox has a greater selection of games, but IMO it would be a shame not to have it online as that's where it really stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

It really does depend. Do you want a blu ray player, if you don't then that about €100 of the ps3 money down the drain. The only other way the PS3 has it on the xbox, is the free online. But again null in void. If the blu ray is not something you want or need, then I'd go with an xbox. PS3 will just be waisted money.

I've an xbox myself and swear by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

For me when I chose to get an Xbox I looked at exclusive games to each console and found that the 360 has better ones than the PS3.

The Forza series, Gears of War 1&2, Halo, Crackdown and Fable 2. These games are the reason why I own an Xbox.

Both consoles have their own traits. PS3 with blu-ray and free online.

Xbox 360 with a big live community (but not free).

It's all down to what you're looking for in a games console. The Xbox now has Sky player, Facebook and Twitter if that's what you're into. The PS3 has a web browser if that's what you want.

Xbox 360 is cheaper than the PS3 but at the end of the day it's up to you OP. Both have good and bad points.

Upon failing that...... Get a Wii. :)

EDIT: Just noticed that you won't be able to connect to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Look at the exclusives on each, (Halo, GTAIV add ons, Left4Dead, Forza on Xbox. Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone on PS3,) decide which you like best.

Look at what consoles your friends have.

Pick the console that has the biggest amount of your preferred exclusives and the most popular console amongst your friends who play online.

(Oh and you probably won't get an unbiased as this is the xbox forum.)

I think there's a catch-all thread somewhere in the games forum, that I can't seem to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Honestly, try get both... Blu ray player would come in handy...

And, the exclusive games on both consoles are pretty awesome...

the network abilities of the ps3 are pretty awesome too... you can watch all movies listen to all music etc etc off your laptop, or anything connected to the network with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Honestly, try get both... Blu ray player would come in handy...

And, the exclusive games on both consoles are pretty awesome...

the network abilities of the ps3 are pretty awesome too... you can watch all movies listen to all music etc etc off your laptop, or anything connected to the network with it..

The 360 does that too.

The consoles are relatively equal tbh. Not a huge amount of difference really.

Look further than games and look at the controllers. Controllers play a big part for some people. Decide which controller is more comfortable to hold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

if your not going to play on line the ps3 is the only logical choice. at least it can double up as a BR player if your into that and the same games are on both like you said.

That_Guy wrote: »
    The 360 does that too.

The consoles are relatively equal tbh. Not a huge amount of difference really.

Look further than games and look at the controllers. Controllers play a big part for some people. Decide which controller is more comfortable to hold too.

Didn't know 360 did it, but i guess i've never tried with it...

all i can think of is the Web browser that the ps3 has, the free online play, and the free wi-fi, the adapter for the 360 costs around 70-80 euro, with online costing about 25-30 for the year, and the fact any old bluetooth headset will work with the ps3.

That said, im an xbox person, love it, and would never get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    all i can think of is the Web browser that the ps3 has, the free online play, and the free wi-fi, the adapter for the 360 costs around 70-80 euro, with online costing about 25-30 for the year, and the fact any old bluetooth headset

All that is completely irrelevant because he doesnt have broadband at home.

I'd go for the Xbox. If your only a casual gamer, its the cheaper option, better exclusives IMO, and its more reliable now than before.

Your unlikely to ever have the red ring problem with the new chipsets (definitely so if you are only a casual gamer)... even if you do get it, its fixed free of charge and warrantied for 3 years, and you'll only be without it for about 10 days or so.

The only thing it hasn't got is a blu-ray player which is completely irrelevant for me.

Better choice of games, better controller, much cheaper.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

I'd go for the Xbox. If your only a casual gamer, its the cheaper option, better exclusives IMO, and its more reliable now than before.

Your unlikely to ever have the red ring problem with the new chipsets (definitely so if you are only a casual gamer)... even if you do get it, its fixed free of charge and warrantied for 3 years, and you'll only be without it for about 10 days or so.

The only thing it hasn't got is a blu-ray player which is completely irrelevant for me.

When i buy a console, i don't buy it just for the near future, he's asking about the consoles, all details are relevant.

He could easily end up getting broadband in a month, maybe even a year, it would still be relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Can't think of a better place to put a thread like this if you're after unbiased opinions...

They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. My PS3 gets more use purely because it is a much better media player (slicker interface and plays a lot more of my video files)
    If you're buying it purely for games, then look at the exclusive titles you would want to play on each of them and base your decision on which one has the games that interest you...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

+1 on the "look at the exclusives", other than that you really have to ask people who own both to try and remove some bias.

For me, it's much of a muchness:

PS3: Has Blu ray, runs quieter and has built in wireless.

XBOX: cheaper, nice new 3 year warranty for RROD (PS3s fail too, just Sony don't admit a problem exists), better controller (PS3 has flimsy controllers and the USB charging is a stupid idea, I'm not leaving the PS3 on just to charge controllers), better online service.

So, if I had to choose a nice media center, I would get a PS3 and if I just wanted a games console, I would get an xbox.

• Advertisement

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

:confused: really? 250gb 360 with 2 controllers and MW2 is 300. add 2 play and charge kits at 20 quid each and a wireless network adapter at 50 quid and you get €390.

ps3 250gb with uncharted 2 and 1 controller is €350 + 50 for a second controller and your only spending €10 extra to get a blu ray player and free online play if he ever gets broadband.

as for the controller and games everyone will have there own opinion so they're irrelevant unless you've played them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I thought the mods were going to move all these threads to the "games forum"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

tman wrote: »
    They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. My PS3 gets more use purely because it is a much better media player (slicker interface and plays a lot more of my video files)

Ironically that's why I use my 360 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

amacachi wrote: »
    Ironically that's why I use my 360 more.

Me too actually. I find the xbox can play much more media files. Just the other day i tried to watch dark city (which i downloaded leagally.... eh :p) on my ps3, it wouldn't play, so i stuck it in the xbox.. no problems what so ever, I've come across a few movies that the ps3 wont play and the xbox plays with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭andy g

who cares about the blue ray player!If you buy a xbox the money you have left over you can buy a blue ray player if you really want it.:D

blue ray players start at 130 euro now not good for playstation imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

So when do we speak of the no1 system this gen, the DS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

:confused: really? 250gb 360 with 2 controllers and MW2 is 300. add 2 play and charge kits at 20 quid each and a wireless network adapter at 50 quid and you get €390.

ps3 250gb with uncharted 2 and 1 controller is €350 + 50 for a second controller and your only spending €10 extra to get a blu ray player and free online play if he ever gets broadband.

as for the controller and games everyone will have there own opinion so they're irrelevant unless you've played them.

Or don't buy 2 plug and charge kits, or a wireless adapter (I've had a 360 since launch day, and don't have either of those), and you have a console with MW2 to play on it, for €100 less.

mcgovern wrote: »
    Or don't buy 2 plug and charge kits, or a wireless adapter (I've had a 360 since launch day, and don't have either of those), and you have a console with MW2 to play on it, for €100 less.

you still have to buy a battery chager and rechargable batteries. its just handier to get the play and charge kit so you dont have to take the batteries out.

and as someone has already said BR players are only €130 now but even still the 360 works out more expensive for the features (or lack of) it has.

• Advertisement

you still have to buy a battery chager and rechargable batteries. its just handier to get the play and charge kit so you dont have to take the batteries out.

and as someone has already said BR players are only €130 now but even still the 360 works out more expensive for the features (or lack of) it has.
    who actually watches or buys blue ray movies? ffs get real will you! your coming over all ps fanboi on us now:o lol

Advertisement