Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭rizzla

you have to remember the 360 did have a 1 year headstart so naturally its going to be the first with most features.

I look at it like this, Sony had 1 year to see how Xbox did it's online service and to learn and improve on anything they did, yet they still came out with a poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

defining how much you're "into" games by whether you own certain consoles or not is fucking retarded no matter which way you slice it.

funny that cos i would your inability to read and understand a simple statement to be retarded. :o

when did i say your not into games if you don't have both consoles? if you enjoy playing games your missing out by only owning 1 console as theres brilliant games on both.

can you twist that in any way? ;)

rizzla wrote: »
    I look at it like this, Sony had 1 year to see how Xbox did it's online service and to learn and improve on anything they did, yet they still came out with a poor service.

but how is it poor? why comment on something if your not going to give examples. :confused:

but how is it poor? why comment on something if your not going to give examples. :confused:

When it initally came out it lacked alot of services Xbox Live had already implemented since day one (well day one of the 360)

This will become an endless cycle if everyone has to list the difference's between the two, everytime someone chips in with an opinion.

PS3 had an extra year in development so as to come out and destroy the Xbox. Yet it didn't and only now is it getting on a level pegging, with marketshare and features.

When it initally came out it lacked alot of services Xbox Live had already implemented since day one (well day one of the 360)

This will become an endless cycle if everyone has to list the difference's between the two, everytime someone chips in with an opinion.

PS3 had an extra year in development so as to come out and destroy the Xbox. Yet it didn't and only now is it getting on a level pegging, with marketshare and features.

it hasn't been an endless cycle so far but its pointless to just label it a "bad service" when now you've just said its almost level pegging once you thought about it.

its very simple at the end of the day. XBL has a few more features and is better overall but at a cost of €50 a year (in shops). PSN is slowly adding features and is now almost as good and is really only missing the party feature the 360 has.

• Advertisement

it hasn't been an endless cycle so far but its pointless to just label it a "bad service" when now you've just said its almost level pegging once you thought about it.

When did I say that??
    ME wrote:

When did I say that??

im not going to argue over who said what. you said "could turn into an endless cycle" so fair enough if its not what you meant.

im also talking about this minute. i couldn't care less what PSN or XBL was like 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

funny that cos i would your inability to read and understand a simple statement to be retarded. :o

when did i say your not into games if you don't have both consoles? if you enjoy playing games your missing out by only owning 1 console as theres brilliant games on both.

can you twist that in any way? ;)

Well for a start there's 3 consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

hooradiation and brian plank both banned for a week for personal abuse. Keep it civil guys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd go for the ps3 personally. Im brutal using the wii nunchuck and whatnot. My 360 broke about a week after the warranty went and it wasnt RROD it was some other problem nad My PS3 has for 2 1/2 years been good and reliable, though for the money i paid at the time i should hope so. Though I would happily get another 360 if i had the money or a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

i think thats where we'll always disagree however because i just dont look at any of that stuff but obviously some do. the thing that bugs me about paying for the 360 online is when it comes to gameplay theres no differnce at all other than cross game chat and the ability to join friends easily.
    Again may people find these features worth paying for. Even with focusing on cross-game chat and the party system, it's crazy that given their obvious benefits they still have not been implemented on the PSN after 3 years of operation.

In related news, this little tidbit of info comes as no real surprise - Hirai: PSN subscription a "possibility". Now while I wouldn't go as far as to say that this means the end of free online play on the PSN I do think the uptake would be tiny unless there was some major incentive to start paying for a premium subscription. Worse case scenario it means that they're at least opening the door up to paid online play either in the PS3s future or on their next-gen console.

Hypothetical question so, if both PSN and XBL cost the same, which one would you go for? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Donallob

I have both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 and here is what I think.

With the Xbox I find once you buy it everything is geared around buying more add ons for it. The controllers don't come with a charger pack, these need to be bought. The Wifi device needs to be bought for the xbox. Even down to sending messages to people on Xbox live. They make it as difficult as possible to send a message i.e not in qwerty format, no predictive text etc, so that you need to purchase the messenger kit. That said I am a big gamer and as a result these things matter to me. So i bought them. I have a number of the same games for both consoles (to play different friends online) and I have less trouble playing online with the xbox than I do with the PS3.

However I find looking at my friends it depends on the person. For casual gamers who want to buy the console, plug and play, the odd game online game I think the PS3 is better. Its less hassle getting everything set up and more comfortable for the less decerning gamer. Thats not to say its not without some nice online features.

The XBox seems to be purchased by the more seasoned gamer among my friends, who dont mind the xtras that one must go through to have a comfortable gaming experience.

I honestly cant tell you which one I prefer; I like them both equally, as I have good and bad memories with both of them. But who said Love was meant to be easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

gizmo wrote: »
    Again may people find these features worth paying for. Even with focusing on cross-game chat and the party system, it's crazy that given their obvious benefits they still have not been implemented on the PSN after 3 years of operation.

In related news, this little tidbit of info comes as no real surprise - Hirai: PSN subscription a "possibility". Now while I wouldn't go as far as to say that this means the end of free online play on the PSN I do think the uptake would be tiny unless there was some major incentive to start paying for a premium subscription. Worse case scenario it means that they're at least opening the door up to paid online play either in the PS3s future or on their next-gen console.

Hypothetical question so, if both PSN and XBL cost the same, which one would you go for? ;)

Just an FYI. He is probably referring to a European Qore and digital comics. I seriously doubt they will throw away one of their trump cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brendentaylor

I use to frequent the scene alot back in the xbox years. sorta loss interest after a good while. but now i am wondering about the ps3

I would love the ps3 to be hacked, but not for games but to enable a better media system then it is already.

that being said has there been any way to get .mkv playing on it yet (preferable h264) and since h264 mp4 don't play nor the same in an avi container, the same question goes for them also.

thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I have/had all 3 consoles. I sold my Wii after a few months because it wasnt used. Have my ps3 over 2 years and my 360 a few weeks. Think the ps3 is the best console. Prefer its layout and its easier to send messages with a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

AFAIK, all three consoles accept USB keyboards... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Aye Damo they do, and the msn Chatpad for the xbox is even more convenient :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

It's really about exclusives really.

Xbox 360:
    Gears of War
    Gears of War 2
    Halo 3
    Halo 3 ODST
    Mass Effect
    Dead Rising
    Forza 3
    Fable 2
    etc
    GTA:Episodes from Liberty City
    L4D
    L4D2
    etc etc..

PS3:
    Demon's Souls.

No contest. PS3 wins hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Hi Folks,
    Sorry if this has been asked before...

I have two boys aged 9 and 7 years old.
    They have asked for the Wii for Christmas but I'm a little skeptical about the long term use it will have.
    I have the impression that it will be fun at the start but may gather dust within a year when they reach 10 and 8 years old.

They both have NDS and love the games, but these are mainly platform games that they play together, Lego Star wars, Mario, Zelda, Sonic etc...

Any advice from experience you have would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

trackerman wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

They have asked for the Wii for Christmas but I'm a little skeptical about the long term use it will have.
    I have the impression that it will be fun at the start but may gather dust within a year when they reach 10 and 8 years old.

They both have NDS and love the games, but these are mainly platform games that they play together, Lego Star wars, Mario, Zelda, Sonic etc...

Cheers.

Well they will be hardcore gamers in future ;). If you planing to save money: buy ps3 or xbox now, becouse it will last longet then Wii, i can bet. Wii is fun for first 5 days, then you just realise, that you need proper console.

Had all of them, and the wii went back to gamestop... I am 23 years old and bought all the consoles and games myself ( not mummy or daddy), so i know how paintfull is to spend money and realising, that you needed something else. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

One thing that the xbox definately has over the PS3 is loading screens come on how long does it take for the game to load up.

Yes you may have to pay 60 quid for online on the xbox if you buy a sub from a shop but there are plenty of online stores where you can buy them for 30 euro.

Also I have used both the PS3 and Xbox 360 and I feel the online experiance is much much better on the Xbox Everytime I have tried to play on PSN it has been a terribly laggy experiance.

The Ps3 has its own gpu overheating problems the yellow light that pops up I believe is pretty much the same as the 360's RROD and also the 360 Jasper consoles have almost completely removed the chances of the RROD happening.

Yes the Ps3 has a blu ray player and the 360 does not.

But if you think about it Blu ray players have become alot cheaper making the price of the Ps3 outrageous because the only thing that people justified spending that much on one was because of the bluray player.

Also from experiance that is all the arguements I have ever had about the subject have boiled down to and IMHO this fight between the fanboys has been going on for too long yes you love your console but shut up about it.
    That being said if I could afford to have both yes I would because they both have their merits and drawbacks as do all consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Hi Folks,

Cheers.

If they havnt had a games console before and dont intend to take the machine online, then a Wii is perfectly fine, a 360/ps3 would be a much more demanding console time wise and they will start bugging you about getting online for them.

Also alot of what they like on the NDS will translate over to titles on the Wii

There's just as much crap on the wii (probably more) as there is on the DS, but its usually fairly easy to spot which titles will be crap and which ones can keep them playing for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    If they havnt had a games console before and dont intend to take the machine online, then a Wii is perfectly fine, a 360/ps3 would be a much more demanding console time wise and they will start bugging you about getting online for them.

Also alot of what they like on the NDS will translate over to titles on the Wii

There's just as much crap on the wii (probably more) as there is on the DS, but its usually fairly easy to spot which titles will be crap and which ones can keep them playing for a good while.
    well said!

and i agree a wii would suit your needs perfectly since your children play there ds' all the time its a tried and tested nintendo formula!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,690 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hi Folks,

Cheers.

Another +1 for the Wii.

Even when they reach 10 and 8, many of the games they'll want for the ps3 and xbox360 won't really be age appropriate. I take it you don't want them picking up hookers in GTAIV or mowing down hundreds of aliens in a bloody mess in GOW until they're a good bit older.

Or playing mediocre rubbish like Halo.. (Sorry, couldn't resist :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Another +1 for the Wii.

Even when they reach 10 and 8, many of the games they'll want for the ps3 and xbox360 won't really be age appropriate. I take it you don't want them picking up hookers in GTAIV or mowing down hundreds of aliens in a bloody mess in GOW until they're a good bit older.

Or playing mediocre rubbish like Halo.. (Sorry, couldn't resist :p)
    take that halo comment back sob sob sob lol!

also im picking up a wii now because of all the mario games and zelda games etc PURE CLASS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

I am also one of the people who have all three.

I personally prefer my Xbox. I don't know why, might be because I'v had it longer (doubt it) But it just feels like the better console.
    Games wise its great with stuff like Mass Effect, Gears and Forza to name a few. The online is also perfect, from the online store to the friends and everything it really is great. (Also Achievements>Trophies... End Of!)

I am glad however that I got a PS3, the little PSN games are really top-notch! Stuff like Flower, Fat Princess and all the PixelJunks. Also their really coming into their own now this year an with some nice exclusives (Heavy Rain anyone!?). I feel that they are now starting to show that they do indeed have better graphics then Xbox, but only with a select few games. One big complaint is the god awful online! It just isn't nice to use!

Then theres the Wii...

Eh... Zelda?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

God awful is very very harsh. What is it that erks you? No cross game chat?

Don't say "laggy as hell", i've played both and notice no difference in terms of "lag".

Live is better in little ways, but in no way is PSN god awful in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,690 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Eh... Zelda?

Mario Galaxy
    New Super Mario Bros Wii
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Super Paper Mario
    No More Heroes
    Mad World
    Okami
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    A Boy and his Blob

To name but a few :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Mario Galaxy
    New Super Mario Bros Wii
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Super Paper Mario
    No More Heroes
    Mad World
    Okami
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    A Boy and his Blob

Don't forget punch out

Reminds me of my childhood, playing Punch Out on my NES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Mario Galaxy
    New Super Mario Bros Wii
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Super Paper Mario
    No More Heroes
    Mad World
    Okami
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    A Boy and his Blob

And Iv just made a complete prick of myself...

Forgot World of Goo...

What I actually meant was most of the good Wii games are Published by Nintendo.
    But yea have to say your right there...

Advertisement