Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

a hex on you kinetic, for bringing this thread in here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

a hex on you kinetic, for bringing this thread in here :pac:

haha better here than multiple versions all over the place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

steve_ wrote: »
    i own all three and find myself playing each one on different times and when im in different moods. Each console has its highlights and as a gamer im in a nice spot with having the 3 of them. HOWEVER!! one thing i seen only last night had me foaming from the mouth in excitement. It has the potential to change gaming as we see it not to mention its truly amazing...so because of this video for me the wii is the console im excited for most in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw
    Whilst that technology is using a Wii remote, I'm not sure if it's in development for the Wii. This video shows similar technology being used with a modded version of Half Life 2 to track player motion. Pretty cool if not a little gimmicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

The guys who came up with this 3d tracking using the wii remote said EA are putting it into one of there new games, microsoft also signed this guy up to work on Natal. Cant see it being much of an issue to bring this set up to the mainstream audience. I would be fun for sure....despite being solely a single player experience, wither way it a step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

PS3 is the better quality product. Its just built better and runs quieter.

If all the games you want are on both, I'd get a PS3 if i were you.

If you want exclusives on one then get that one.

If you want exclusives on two then buy the one with the exclusives you want the most or buy both.

And if you want party games, buy a Wii. It has other games but there are better offerings on PS3 and 360 if you want traditional games and the online on the PS3 and 360 are amazingly better. The Wii is ok and I have one but it never gets played.

• Advertisement

the 360 is as quiet as you can get if you install games to the HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

for those pointing out RROD remember the ps3 has a failure rate too and if it happens out of your 1 year warantee then it will be un-economical to repair!

remember the ps2? again kept failing!

the wii in my opinion is a waste of money as its last gen graphics for the price of new systems etc!

it annoys me to hear ps3 owners going on about the 360 problems considering the ps3 has problems too! did anyone see the difference in game graphics on ghostbusters on the 360 and ps3? its a joke as the 360 version is miles ahead!

now i had the 3 systems in question and my verdict is-

ps3 - mine got the yellow light of death and died and cant afford to repair so its gone now thank god!

wii - i just found the wii to be boring after 5 minutes

xbox360 - in my opinion the best console by far it has better exclusives, better online and controllers are better!

its personal choice but the 360 does it for me all the time ;)

No it isn't, I have to turn my tv up when playing it to drown out the fan noise on my elite.

The DVD drive makes more noise than the fan but it isn't quiet without the drive going.

Then you have games like Halo 3 where they tell you not to install the games. You can't even tell the PS3 is on it makes so little noise.

thebman wrote: »
    No it isn't, I have to turn my tv up when playing it to drown out the fan noise on my elite.

The DVD drive makes more noise than the fan but it isn't quiet without the drive going.

Then you have games like Halo 3 where they tell you not to install the games. You can't even tell the PS3 is on it makes so little noise.
    the sound is like its graphics - DEAD! unless its a japanese game and not like everything else - ported to the ps3:eek:

Most ports are fine. If its craply ported, I can buy it for the 360 or just not purchase.

Most games I have are for 360, I only buy PS3 exclusives really. The 360 noise annoys me but I can turn the tv up :P

• Advertisement

The noise of the 360 used to really annoy me it be hiring the tv just to drown out the sound, while playing fable i felt like my 360 was going to life off at any moment the noise was crazy......then i installed the it too the HDD as i was as quiet as a kitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

anyone with a) a brain and b) any interest in games whatsoever, will see that all 3 systems are excellent.

anyone with a) a brain and b) any interest in games whatsoever, will see that all 3 systems are excellent.

Second that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

it annoys me to hear ps3 owners going on about the 360 problems considering the ps3 has problems too! did anyone see the difference in game graphics on ghostbusters on the 360 and ps3? its a joke as the 360 version is miles ahead!
    The 360 has a very high failure rate when it comes to the RROD, I've gone through two repairs and recently onto a new replacement. I got the 360 late 2007 and got my PS3 shortly afterwards, I have never had a problem with the PS3 and it's used more than the 360.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    The 360 has a very high failure rate when it comes to the RROD, I've gone through two repairs and recently onto a new replacement. I got the 360 late 2007 and got my PS3 shortly afterwards, I have never had a problem with the PS3 and it's used more than the 360.
    hey, im on the opposite foot i got a 60 gb 360 a year and a half ago and have had absolutely no problems (fingers crossed) lol but i bought a launch ps3 and it worked fine for about a year and then yellow light of death while playing gta well console knocked off and when i restarted it was ****ed!

i know 360 launch models were horrendous failure rate but things have improved so much since then!

i was always so loyal to sony but now im just mad about my 360 and online no-one can doubt me here (360 rocks) but you have to pay so thats a sore point!:mad:

thinking of buying a psp what do you guys think?

im bored of my ds now and games on the ds are in general kid based:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

thinking of buying a psp what do you guys think?
    It depends on what kind of games you like. There are some great RPGs, racing games, platformers and fighting games for the PSP, but I'd pass on most of the FPS games bar Syphon Filter and Resistance Retribution. There are also games like Loco Roco and Patapon that are hard to place into a specific genre that I'd recommend for being a lot of fun.

The up and coming games are looking pretty good - Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny, FF: Dissidia, Motorstorm: Artic Edge, LittleBigPlanet PSP, Gran Turismo Portable, Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines, Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake, GTA: Chinatown Wars and Tekken 6. That's not including the games for next year - Resident Evil PSP, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Persona 3 Portable. Then there's all the PSP 'minis' so imagine a lot of the best iPhone games will make it onto the PSP.

Don't get rid of your DS just yet though, Scribblenauts is coming out, win!

id get a psp 100% then put custom firmware and unlocked this little beasts true potential. Playing my entire ps1 catalog is a dream on this device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671045

Search is broken but this is the thread that will answer all your questions... hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That's a good reply from rizzla there Lee. What you are going to get in replies after a while will probably be one fanboy slagging off another fanboy's machine. I'm a casual gamer and have owned both 360 and PS3. As a casual gamer I'll give you my (Overvalued) two cents worth.

For online gaming the 360 has the edge. You have to pay an annual fee for the online gaming but the community is larger than the PS3 currently.

To a casual gamer there's not much between the games graphics-wise and sound-wise. I'm sure there are differences but it's not going to be huge.

MOST (Not all) games come out for both consoles. There are various console specific games (Metal Gear on PS3 and Halo on 360 for example) but the vast majority of games appear on both consoles (Not always at the same time however)

I had a 360 however I traded it in for a PS3. The reason I did this was AT THE TIME there were reliability issues with the 360. This has been improved a lot.

I find that I prefer the PS3. It has built in Wi-Fi. The 360 needs an external wifi addon. The harddrive is cheaply upgradable (An easily removable SATA drive as opposed to the 360 proprietary Hard drive). And, of course, the Blu-Ray drive of the PS3 for HD movies.

Now, I'm sure people will try to say that I am a PS3 fanboy, I am not. I'm just a casual gamer who plays maybe a couple of hours a day maybe 2 or 3 days a week. I mainly use it for playing blu-ray movies to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MrMagic1

Neither, buy a pc, it'll serve You better and You'll actually learn something. Most games on either console also come out on pc and can be played at much greater detail. On shooters You get much better control with keyboard and mouse as opposed to a controller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Here's how I would put it together

PS3 - if you want Blu Ray, the best graphics and some pretty good exclusives (Uncharted 2, Littlebigplanet)

Xbox360 - if you want the best online gaming setup and better exclusives (Halo, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Fable titles)

Right now I would wager that the PS3 is better value for money but if you are more interested in Online gaming and have no interest in Blu Ray, go for the Xbox. Vice versa, go for the PS3. Based purely on the catalogue of games, Xbox would win.

Tough choice but it'll come down to what's more important for you to get from your console and what type of exclusives interest you more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Here's how I would put it together

PS3 - if you want Blu Ray, the best graphics and some pretty good exclusives (Uncharted 2, Littlebigplanet)

Xbox360 - if you want the best online gaming setup and better exclusives (Halo, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Fable titles)

Right now I would wager that the PS3 is better value for money but if you are more interested in Online gaming and have no interest in Blu Ray, go for the Xbox. Vice versa, go for the PS3. Based purely on the catalogue of games, Xbox would win.

Tough choice but it'll come down to what's more important for you to get from your console and what type of exclusives interest you more

wlrmmsr.gif

Have you seen fallout 3 PS3 compared to 360? Ps3 version looks like a PC on lowest settings, its a disgrace. In fact, in about 90% of comparisons for multi format games, 360 version is almost always the better looking/performing game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And the latest fiascho is the dreadful looking PS3 version of Bayonetta.

Still the PS3 can do some gorgeous looking games, just look at uncharted 2 which is probably the best looking game on the consoles at the moment but anything else the 360 has equally as good looking games and I'm sure there will be something as good looking as uncharted 2 soon enough. They are pretty much the same graphically when used properly with each one have advantages over the other that are counter balanced by disadvantages in other areas.

What is true is that the PS3 definitely isn't the all powerful supercomputer Sony would have you believe and more on par with the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

MrMagic1 wrote: »
    Neither, buy a pc, it'll serve You better and You'll actually learn something. Most games on either console also come out on pc and can be played at much greater detail. On shooters You get much better control with keyboard and mouse as opposed to a controller

And don't forget you'll also get the pleasure of spending the equivalent cost of a PS3 each year just upgrading it to be able to play the games! As for FPS, I was big into PC gaming for many years before I switched to consoles. Controllers win hands down for FPS imo, especially the 360 controllers.

There's also the consideration of "ease of use". If you're content to spend ages installing the game, having it blue screen a few times then waiting weeks for a patch to make it playable, then buy a PC. If you want the gaming fast, easy and hassle free, not to mention a better laugh when playing with friends, get a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

0ubliette wrote: »
    wlrmmsr.gif

Have you seen fallout 3 PS3 compared to 360? Ps3 version looks like a PC on lowest settings, its a disgrace. In fact, in about 90% of comparisons for multi format games, 360 version is almost always the better looking/performing game.

See Lee? And so it begins...........

Speedboatchase's reply is pretty accurate and unbiased in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

DarkJager wrote: »
    As for FPS, I was big into PC gaming for many years before I switched to consoles. Controllers win hands down for FPS imo, especially the 360 controllers.
    Hahaha....I don't get it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

I currently own both consoles and I play the 360 to a far greater extent. The social and online infrastructure on the 360 is vastly superior, as is the controller. That the PS3 controller hasn't evolved since the PS1 analogue controller (aside from the unnecessary sixaxis integration) is incredible and suffers tremendously from stupid stick positions and a lack of trigger buttons. Playing online or patching games on the PS3 can be a serious hassle. The online store is easier to navigate and deal with on the 360. However, in Ireland, the PS3 has (I speak anecdotally) a high install base due to brand loyalty so many of your mates may play it.

While the PS3 is the better machine, games often don't run as well on it as on the 360. The PS3 is considered very difficult to develop for with third parties getting little support from Sony compared to Microsoft so the overwhelming majority of shared platform games on it are ported over from another console.

And while this is the dumbest reason to choose a console ever, it's one that remains relevant: Achievements are better than trophies, and some notable PS3 games are still infuriatingly without trophies (I'm looking at you, MGS4). Similarly only half-relevent, the moronic lack of PS2 support on the PS3 is enough to punish Sony for being knobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

gizmo wrote: »
    Hahaha....I don't get it? :(

Yep, I prefer a controller over KB & mouse for FPS games!! :D And I've played plenty of FPS with both set ups, just personally prefer the controller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With PCs nowadays since everything is a port of a console game nearly you don't really need to be ahead of the game in terms of upgrading. A medium spec PC will be far more powerful than the consoles and give you nicer looking games and you wouldn't be expected to upgrade for quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I have basically all gaming platforms that are available at the moment,
    for me the xbox is still edging it - PS3 has alot of untapped potential.

Advertisement