Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

I am an XBox 360 owner, only consoles I ever owned have been the microsoft systems, but obviously have played on PS1s and PS2s belonging to friends.

Owned a 360 for years, but lost it in a house break in, so bout a preowned system to replace it. That system is playing up with some dvd drive problems. I went to HMV where I bought it and they explained they will replace it with an identical system if there is one in stock or merely give me my money back.

Now if they have a replacement, I'll take it no worries. But if they give me a refund instead, I'm genuinely considering switching to the PS3 as they have come down in price recently.

I've been happy with the 360 for years, but do like the idea of having a Blu-Ray player in the PS3. Although slightly worried once I start watching stuff in high def I'll want to replace my entire (sizable) DVD collection.

I don't want to start a flame war, so please try and keep "fan boi" prejudices to a minimum. Just looking for advice as to buying a console, and where to get the best deals. Should point out I am a fairly casual gamer and don't think I've ever bought a game that was platform specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

do it man, get a ps3 - fantastic hardware with top notch exclusives...pick one up on amazon and do yourself a favour and get Uncharted 1 and 2 while you're at it

enjoy :)

Xbox 360 was superior back couple years ago, not any more. PS3 is king right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It depends where are all your friends.

Will it be easy for you to switch the controllers? It's huge difference between ps3 and xbox m8.

Check gAme line ups and what is coming out in near feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you play online a lot it comes down to your friends and the system they use the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Think about online and what any of you friends play online, if the people on your friends list aren't actual friends then there's always a few boardies ready for a game if you change over.

Rebuying things on Blu-ray is either worth it or not, you won't feel all that force if you read some reviews and there are a good few site that rate blu ray transfers of older films with list of extras over the DVD.

Dependant on any online games you may play and on what you friends play them on i'd go with a PS3, but i don't think HMV will lack stock and a refund may not be an option.

The PS3 has got some great games in the next few months so it's worth a look in the future even if yo go with another 360.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

PC. nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Trevor451 wrote: »
    PC. nuff said.

That wasn't the question mate.

As has been said it comes down to the type of games you like, which controller you prefer and which system the most of your friends are on. Personally i'd go with the PS3, better exclusive games (imo) and brilliant multimedia centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

That wasn't the question mate.

As has been said it comes down to the type of games you like, which controller you prefer and which system the most of your friends are on. Personally i'd go with the PS3, better exclusive games (imo) and brilliant multimedia centre.

PC, enough said.

Ok - took the plug and am now a PS3 owner.

So going forward I'll be able to settle the argument as to which is better.

One instant negative for the PS3 though, is that the controller feels ridiculously light and "toyish". One huge positive though - the fan noise, what fan noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Faker74 wrote: »
    Ok - took the plug and am now a PS3 owner.

So going forward I'll be able to settle the argument as to which is better.

One instant negative for the PS3 though, is that the controller feels ridiculously light and "toyish". One huge positive though - the fan noise, what fan noise?

Should have thought of the controller issue before buying, there terrible.

Any Xbox produced in the last 18 months has minimal fan noise also.

Id say we will see the 720 and playstation 4 in around 2 years so people need to consider whether to wait or invest in the current generation.
    Most of my games are on the xbox as its the console most of my friends use. However these days its the Sky player that gets most use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

It depends where are all your friends.

Will it be easy for you to switch the controllers? It's huge difference between ps3 and xbox m8.

Check gAme line ups and what is coming out in near feature.

he asked for advice about buying a console! jeeze

The light weight controllers I can live with, after 7 odd years of being an xbox / xbox 360 owner of course the difference was going to be jarring.

Both the initial impressions I posted about are really only things you notice when you get the system home, fan noise will never be noticeable in the store with the console in a display case and all the background noise, and with the controller bolted to the stand you are only getting a rough impression of the feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Faker74 wrote: »
    The weight of the controller was perhaps the easiest thing to get around, the triggers on the other hand are still something that irk me, even with the Giotek addons. That, combined with some developers insistence on mapping the "trigger" functionality onto the shoulder buttons can lead to many a frustrating encounter. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mr.D.CraicLAAD

just to add Wii, if FPS; aren't your thing, like me, the exclusive are class, Zelda, Galaxy, SSBB

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Dermighty wrote: »
    PC, enough said.

Ugh, of course PC fans have to interject in a 360/PS3/Wii thread. :rolleyes:

Have to agree about the PS3 joypad, it's too light, it feels a bit hollow/flimsy; but i'm sure for younger gamers it'd be preferable.

Not a fan of console-exclusive content, or pre-order bonuses etc...it's a shame we can't just buy a game and have the complete game any more.

Seeing more Skyward Sword footage, i just wish the wii could output in 720p or 1080p. 480p keeps cutting me with it's jags!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

hi,
    wondering if someone could help me. im a girl with not much knowledge on consoles but would really love one. prob is my OH says i have to pick 3 reasons why one is better than the other. to me it seems they all pretty much do the same thing. the only one that stands out to me though is the ps3 cause of a much girly reason it has the take that disc on it. could anyone else help me point out any other reason to get the ps3 over the other two.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Moved to games, reason being the OP is asking for advice on which games console to choose. There's no specific forum for all consoles so I think gamers would be best able to advise the op on which console they suggest for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

what will the console be used for? gaming? watching movies? going online?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

not sure if this will work but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

mollybird wrote: »
    hi,
    wondering if someone could help me. im a girl with not much knowledge on consoles but would really love one. prob is my OH says i have to pick 3 reasons why one is better than the other. to me it seems they all pretty much do the same thing. the only one that stands out to me though is the ps3 cause of a much girly reason it has the take that disc on it. could anyone else help me point out any other reason to get the ps3 over the other two.

thanks.

Just so im on the right track your asking for 2 more reasons to get the ps3 than one of the others and not advice on which is better?

PS3 is technically superior to the xbox in it has more processing power and the blu ray discs can hold 3 times as much data so games "should" look better. Although this rule doesnt always hold true as alot of the games tend to be ports from the 360, but you can leave that last part out. When it comes to the wii powerwise its a midget compared to the ps3

Reason 2 is compared to the xbox, way more of the online features on ps3 are free to access, where with the 360 you have to pay a subscription for the same services. The wii also has technically got free online but the features and multiplayer aspects are garbage compared to what you can pay for on the 360 or get for free on the ps3.

Also just wanna add in case i get accused of fanboyism here, i own a 360 and not a ps3 and i was just trying to answer the question not start a console argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Forget all three... It's the Atari Jaguar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

It's simple. Find out which games you want to play the most. Get the console that they're on. Looking for reasons why "one is better than the other" is silly. In many, many ways, the PS3 is much better than the Wii. But not if you want to play MarioKart. One console probably won't allow you to play every game you might be interested in, so pick the one with the most games you like the look of. Think about the games, not the console.

Though it's also worth noting that many of the same games are on the Xbox and the PS3, but AFAIK the cheapest model 360 costs a lot less than the cheapest PS3 (Wii is also cheaper, but is a very different kettle of fish).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The Wii has no middle-ground. It's either too broad in its focus for some gamers with spotlight geared towards the seemingly-saccharine, first-party output, and equally, it then gets a bit too niche for the average gaming pallet, with the likes of Captain Rainbow, Muramasa, Last Story, Xenoblade amongst a considerable many. Especially for those who just want to stick in an Assassin's Creed, and have something in common with their mates/watercooler conversation.

To the question asked, A lot of the HD consoles' output are similar, so it's really a question of what fluff you want and exclusive. If it's online gaming, then it's the 360. If it's Blu-Ray, it's the PS3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Threads merged.

Advertisement