Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options
  • 03-09-2009 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

All discussion on which console is better or which to buy is to go in here from now on. It will cut down on all the silly threads on the console forums.

Let's try and keep the trolling and abuse out of this. If someone is being abusive please report the post.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

In regards to all the "Xbox 360 vs PS3" threads. It really depends what games you are into. Each has its fair share of exclusives, take a look at what console has the games you think you'll enjoy more... simple choice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Wii - great for kids, family, and friends. It's a fun machine, personally I find it tends to get boring quickly and the controls annoying.

XBox 360 - If your a Halo fan it's a must and that's about it.

PS3 - When compared to the 360 it just beats it hands down in terms of value for money and features;
    • You have no RROD problem :p
    • It's quieter than the 360
    • You get a rechargeable controller with it
    • It has inbuilt wireless and bluetooth (bluetooth not on the new PS3 Slim)
    • Internet & Install other OS (other OS not on the new PS3 Slim)
    • Free online gaming
    • Blu-ray / DVD player - no need for a seperate drive like the 360
    • No seperate "brick" power unit

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Wii - great for kids, family, and friends. It's a fun machine, personally I find it tends to get boring quickly and the controls annoying.

PS3 - When compared to the 360 it just beats it hands down in terms of value for money and features;
    • Free online gaming

haha Biased much? i own a 360 and it has alot of great features and exclusive games. You pay 60 a year for online gaming, and the servers are much better than the ps3 ones. Lots of very good exclusives besides halo..gta IV expansions, Fable II, Gears of War 1/2, mass effect, left 4 dead etc. Saying that, I am getting a ps3 next week and that also has some very good exclusives. metal gear, uncharted, little big planet etc... i think there is more to the 360 than you give credit. People who look at this thread i am sure, will want some sort of unbiased opinion not just stuff like "ps3 suxs" or ".... "unlike the 360"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

[*]It has inbuilt wireless and bluetooth (bluetooth not on the new PS3 Slim)
    That is not true, the slim has Bluetooth. The controllers are bluetooth dude.

Anyways, thanks Kinetic^, great to finally have these... discussions relegated to the one thread. Does the fact that the PC never ends up in these threads mean that the PC wins by default? Like I had to ask, PC ftw!
    thorbarry wrote: »
    You pay 60 a year for online gaming, and the servers are much better than the ps3 ones.
    That is not true. The 360 and PS3 primarily use p2p connections (i.e. consoles connecting to one player's console who is the host of the game). The PS3 actually has more dedicated servers than the 360, particularly for Sony's first party games (Warhawk, Resistance, Motorstorm). If your network is set up correctly your online experience should be just as good on both consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Atari 5200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Own all 3 and would pick the Xbox 360. The PS3 iterations seem to be getting worse and worse aswell as the firmware, I can't even play Uncharted FFS.

PS3 has blu-ray though and most games released are multi-platform. I just prefer the majority of 360 exclusives to PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, do people still do this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Atari 5200

Super Nintendo.

*pelvic thrust*

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

This will be the one and only tread on the topic from now on. Might aswell put your 2 cents in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Unfortunately yes. As already stated, to avoid clutter in the forums this will be the one and only place that people will be discussing this topic from now on. It's got really old at this stage so hopefully this train wreck of a thread will show people how silly they're being.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How many times do i have to post this picture before you all realise what your missing...

DreamcastConsole.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Lads, pleases keep this on topic. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

haha Biased much? i own a 360 and it has alot of great features and exclusive games. You pay 60 a year for online gaming, and the servers are much better than the ps3 ones. Lots of very good exclusives besides halo..gta IV expansions, Fable II, Gears of War 1/2, mass effect, left 4 dead etc.
    I own all three consoles and would pick the PS3 over the other two any day.

I agree that there are some good exclusives besides Halo (hated Halo 3, thought it was a big let down from all the hipe), most of them I have for the 360 and the PC and to be honest I play them more on my PC, that's just me.

When I went to buy my PS3 the fact that it was also a Blu-ray / DVD player was a big bonus, I hated that you had to go out and buy an add-on player for the 360 (then find somewhere to put it) and then the fall of the HD-DVD. Not only that, but if you want to go wireless on the 360 you have to buy an adapter.

Money and feature wise the PS3 is the better deal and there is no denying it.
    GothPunk wrote: »
    That is not true, the slim has Bluetooth. The controllers are bluetooth dude.
    My mistake, article I read was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

• Free online gaming

HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

I agree, thats why I'm picking up one next week. I still think the xbox is a great machine. Yea i completely agree about halo 3, i got it with my console, but only played it for a day or two then got really bored if it.

As i said i'm getting the ps3 next week (big pay check coming in :D ) I have already picked up little big planet, and i will get uncharted with the playstation and some other game. I am really looking forward to Uncharted, it looks great, where as with little big planet, the GF can join in, if she wants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

As i said i'm getting the ps3 next week (big pay check coming in :D ) I have already picked up little big planet, and i will get uncharted with the playstation and some other game. I am really looking forward to Uncharted, it looks great, where as with little big planet, the GF can join in, if she wants :)
    Definitely pick up the Metal Gear Solid level pack for LittleBigPlanet if you can from the PSN store, it really adds to the game. Some of the best user made levels (e.g. Sci Fi World 1-4) are made using this pack so you need it to be able to play those levels. I'm glad so many people are picking up LittleBigPlanet with their PS3's, it's such a fantastic game.

GothPunk wrote: »
    Definitely pick up the Metal Gear Solid level pack for LittleBigPlanet if you can from the PSN store, it really adds to the game. Some of the best user made levels (e.g. Sci Fi World 1-4) are made using this pack so you need it to be able to play those levels. I'm glad so many people are picking up LittleBigPlanet with their PS3's, it's such a fantastic game.

Ah cool, i'll deffo check that out. As an old ps1/ps2 man, i love metal gear. In fact i am really really looking forward to getting "Guns of the Patriots", another big reason for me to get a ps3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah cool, i'll deffo check that out. As an old ps1/ps2 man, i love metal gear. In fact i am really really looking forward to getting "Guns of the Patriots", another big reason for me to get a ps3

Prepare for a very average game with the worst dialogue and dragged out cutscenes ever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Prepare for a very average game with the worst dialogue and dragged out cutscenes ever.

It's worth it for the ninja-breakdancing and the bisexual vampires.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

i own all three and find myself playing each one on different times and when im in different moods. Each console has its highlights and as a gamer im in a nice spot with having the 3 of them. HOWEVER!! one thing i seen only last night had me foaming from the mouth in excitement. It has the potential to change gaming as we see it not to mention its truly amazing...so because of this video for me the wii is the console im excited for most in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

• Advertisement

oh yea? how'd you feel about metal gear 2 and 3? I thought the cutscenes were too long, but felt the game play was good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I own all three consoles and would pick the PS3 over the other two any day.
    Your the only person i've heard of with all 3 that prefer's the ps3, i had all 3, but got rid of my wii, and nearly never use the ps3.
    I agree that there are some good exclusives besides Halo (hated Halo 3, thought it was a big let down from all the hipe), most of them I have for the 360 and the PC and to be honest I play them more on my PC, that's just me.
    Exclusive schmusives, its pretty balanced between the 2 for those and rare any exclusive is all that good. Likewise i'd rather play fps's on the pc...but then its harder to play the pc on a recliner...
    When I went to buy my PS3 the fact that it was also a Blu-ray / DVD player was a big bonus
    I have to ask, how many blu-ray discs do you really have? and how annoying is that ps3 controller working them?
    I hated that you had to go out and buy an add-on player for the 360 (then find somewhere to put it) and then the fall of the HD-DVD.
    the 360 pre-dates the mass production/proper launch of HD-DVD and Blu-ray...so its not surprising it didn't have either...
    Not only that, but if you want to go wireless on the 360 you have to buy an adapter.
    Fair enough, though my experience with wireless on the ps3 wasn't joyous. And use wired for everything anyway so doesn't bother me too much....
    Which feature? blu-ray? its one feature.... the wifi is minor/cheap to fix, the online services arn't remotely comparable, xbox live is far far superior to the ps3 online services.

At the end of the day the biggest factor for me/and most people i've talked to is the ps3 controller shape is pants and the xbox one is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Ah, so that's your opinion of MGS4? I had always wondered...

Whatever opinions are of MGS4's storyline, the gameplay is excellent and the online component is fantastic.

On-topic: I have all three.

I have not used my Wii in a year, but I will be starting it up again for Mario Galaxy 2.

My PS3 gets the most use. I buy all multiplatform games on it. It is a fantastic machine, brilliant media player and the free online is a huge incentive.

My XBox is used only for exclusives. I really like it, though I don't use it that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

steve_ wrote: »
    HOWEVER!! one thing i seen only last night had me foaming from the mouth in excitement. It has the potential to change gaming as we see it not to mention its truly amazing...so because of this video for me the wii is the console im excited for most in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

the new ps3 controller has that beat hands down in tracking ability.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/03/video-sonys-ps3-motion-controller-in-action/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Your the only person i've heard of with all 3 that prefer's the ps3, i had all 3, but got rid of my wii, and nearly never use the ps3.

Me, Me, Pick ME!!11
    Exclusive schmusives, its pretty balanced between the 2 for those and rare any exclusive is all that good. Likewise i'd rather play fps's on the pc...but then its harder to play the pc on a recliner...

Depends on the desk.
    I have to ask, how many blu-ray discs do you really have? and how annoying is that ps3 controller working them?

Movies: 4
    Games: Quite a lot.

I like the PS3 controller.
    the 360 pre-dates the mass production/proper launch of HD-DVD and Blu-ray...so its not surprising it didn't have either...

No reason I couldn't add a Blu-Ray external drive now though. A lot of people buying the PS3 Slim have the Blu-Ray feature as a major reason behind the purchase. Microsoft could stem that tide by offering it themselves.
    Fair enough, though my experience with wireless on the ps3 wasn't joyous. And use wired for everything anyway so doesn't bother me too much....

A lot of people find wireless connections more convenient. I know I do
    Which feature? blu-ray? its one feature.... the wifi is minor/cheap to fix, the online services arn't remotely comparable, xbox live is far far superior to the ps3 online services.

In what way exactly is it superior? I have heard this line trotted out quite a lot with no explanation behind it. Tell Microsoft wireless is cheap cos they seem to think its worth over €50!
    At the end of the day the biggest factor for me/and most people i've talked to is the ps3 controller shape is pants and the xbox one is great.

Fair enough. Different strokes and all that. Don't think its a reason to completely ignore a console!

oh yea? how'd you feel about metal gear 2 and 3? I thought the cutscenes were too long, but felt the game play was good

MGS2: When the stupid retarded story wasn't getting in the way it was a great game.

MGS3: Hardly any cutscenes, excellent story and wonderful gameplay. Superb.

MGS4 what little gameplay there is isn't really that good. The cutscenes just ruin the whole thing and the story is beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

the new ps3 controller has that beat hands down in tracking ability.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/03/video-sonys-ps3-motion-controller-in-action/

maybe for tracking ability yes but for the 3d experience? no way in hell!! that fact the stuff looks like its coming out of the screen is far more impressive then a glorified wii remote

MGS2: When the stupid retarded story wasn't getting in the way it was a great game.

MGS3: Hardly any cutscenes, excellent story and wonderful gameplay. Superb.

MGS4 what little gameplay there is isn't really that good. The cutscenes just ruin the whole thing and the story is beyond ridiculous.

Dang.. the thing is, I love metal gear, but i sorta agree with you about metal gear 2 and 3... i just hope i dont about 4 :pac:

steve_ wrote: »
    maybe for tracking ability yes but for the 3d experience? no way in hell!! that fact the stuff looks like its coming out of the screen is far more impressive then a glorified wii remote

Are Nintendo actually using this technology? I didn't think so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Exhibitionist

I bought a Wii first and an Xbox 360 about 18 months later, and I enjoy them both for pretty much the same reason: they both have some great games. From the beginning I've only bought the very best-reviewed games for both systems. I love Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart for Wii - IMO they're the funnest platform and driving games I've ever played. When SF4 came out I decided to buy an Xbox 360 to play it with. Yep, I bought an Xbox 360 for the sole purpose of playing SF4 because that game is freaking awesome and my bro-in-law already had an Xbox 360 so I got one for multiplayer* with him.

Basically, your console decision should be based on what games you want to play, not one which console you *think* is the best. And if there's no specific game you want to play on these consoles, then hold off on getting a console altogether until there is.

*Oh yeah, and if it comes down to a choice b/w Xbox 360 and PS3, don't be a freakin' retard - get the Xbox 360. More users, more games, more developers, more comfortable controllers, more peripherals, Project Natal, Microsoft backing, full Windows communication. No contest.

Advertisement