Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭I_p_freely

Hey all, I have both an xbox 360 and a PS3. A year ago i would have definitely said that the xbox is the better choice but now I find myself playing the PS3 more for the exclusive titles that have come out in the past year. Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, killzone 2 and infamous.

Im not going to repeat the same points most people have about the pro's and cons of each, they are all well established and if you get either console you will have a great machine.

My point is about Blu-ray, not only is Blu-ray (BD) good for movies but ALSO the size a game can be. For instance, Metal gear Solid 4 (MGS4) filled a BD, thats 50 GB, that would take 5 DVDs. One of the most disappointing things about Modern warfare 2 (MW2) was that the game itself lasted about 6 hours for me. MGS4 took me a couple of weeks to finish.

MW2 was made for Xbox and converted to PS3, so it was limited to 10GB in size.

I believe that is a huge point for the future of the PS3 as games get more complex and bigger. A size limit of 10GB is a big deal, it costs too much to release a game on a number of DVDs.

So as long as the Xbox only uses DVD and the PS3 use BDs then I believe that future exclusives to PS3 will give you more game for your money.

Added to that I feel that the PS3 slim is good value now, BD player, wifi included etc etc...

If you go for the Xbox 360 you will also get a great machine so I would get the machine that most of your friends have! then you can swap games and play online against each other.

Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

With regards to the above, that would be 50g of raw data, they don't bother compressing it when they're limitless space, whereas the limitations of dvd mean they have to use compression, some of which is incredibly efficient. It's possible to compress data to a fraction of its raw size. I'm sure if MGS4 was heavily compressed it would still require more than a DVD but it's really not a simple case of blu-ray = much longer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

On top of this you have the fact that with current game budgets the way they are, you cannot hope for enough content to fill a BR disc with uncompressed data. It's all well and good for first party or strongly Sony backed studios producing titles which come close but the fact of the matter is these titles will still be relatively thin on the ground. This is due to not only the massive time and financial investments required but also the fact that there are only so many studios out there capable of creating titles worth it.

Oh and MW2 was not developed for the 360 and ported to the PS3.

Heres a quote from wikipedia...

"Guns of the Patriots is the first PS3 game that uses a full 50GB dual layer Blu-ray Disc, even after extensive efforts in data compression."

So even MGS4 was heavily compressed. I also mentioned above that going forward the size of DVDs will limit game sizes. Doesnt mean that a game has to fill a whole BD. The budget may not allow that size of game for many years but going forward games are only going to get bigger in size so BD is a better option. Maybe xbox will bring out a Blu-ray player ad on but I think they would charge a lot for it considering that their wifi thing costs so much.

The next MGS game is coming out for Xbox as well as PS3 it'll be interesting to see how they tackle the size limitations for that. (probably just need to cut out the many pointless cut scenes....)

I have read on blogs that MW2 was ported from xbox to PS3 could be Xbox fanboys though. Havent seen it on a decent site so cant confirm. But my point is that to make both games the same, the DVD of the xbox limits the size of the game for the PS3. Im not a fanboy of either just my opinion.

I_p_freely wrote: »
    Heres a quote from wikipedia...

"Guns of the Patriots is the first PS3 game that uses a full 50GB dual layer Blu-ray Disc, even after extensive efforts in data compression."
    Unfortunately Wikipedia's answer is a little too vague, MGS4 did ship with uncompressed audio which, if you're familiar with such things, is bloody huge. :o
    So even MGS4 was heavily compressed. I also mentioned above that going forward the size of DVDs will limit game sizes. Doesnt mean that a game has to fill a whole BD. The budget may not allow that size of game for many years but going forward games are only going to get bigger in size so BD is a better option. Maybe xbox will bring out a Blu-ray player ad on but I think they would charge a lot for it considering that their wifi thing costs so much.

Indeed, however the argument was, and indeed still is, that BR technology is not really required for this generation. If one needs to use lossless audio to fill it up then this only proves the point. This is on top of the fact that, bar MGS4, no other PS3 title, exclusive or not, has come close to filling a BR disc.

This also nicely addresses your last point regarding MW2 - if a game really requires more space then it'll be spread across more discs as required. Therefore one can safely assume that MW2 didn't need more space so there was no point in making it bigger for the sake of it, especially when you consider the budget was already $40/50m.

Oh and Microsoft will not be bringing out a Bluray add-on for games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

gizmo wrote: »
    the argument was, and indeed still is, that BR technology is not really required for this generation. If one needs to use lossless audio to fill it up then this only proves the point. This is on top of the fact that, bar MGS4, no other PS3 title, exclusive or not, has come close to filling a BR disc.

I agree with everything else you said, but surely all that is required for BR to be needed in the above scenarios is if the exclusives take up substantially more than a dual layered DVD.

I mean just because the exclusives didn't fill a 50GB BR doesn't mean BR wasn't needed - I mean what if they used up 10-20gb? Then the BR was needed, surely?

Unfortunately Wikipedia's answer is a little too vague, MGS4 did ship with uncompressed audio which, if you're familiar with such things, is bloody huge. :o

Yes but I doesn't say whether it is just the uncompressed audio that filled most of the 50GB

Indeed, however the argument was, and indeed still is, that BR technology is not really required for this generation. If one needs to use lossless audio to fill it up then this only proves the point. This is on top of the fact that, bar MGS4, no other PS3 title, exclusive or not, has come close to filling a BR disc.

How do you know other games havent come close to filling up a BD? I cant find details anywhere.
    Others have said above that games for the Xbox have been compressed to fit a DVD... therefore wouldnt it be better to NOT compress files and put it on a BD? The games are the same price for Xbox and PS3. If games for the xbox are being compressed to fit on a DVD then is a larger medium not required?
    This also nicely addresses your last point regarding MW2 - if a game really requires more space then it'll be spread across more discs as required. Therefore one can safely assume that MW2 didn't need more space so there was no point in making it bigger for the sake of it, especially when you consider the budget was already $40/50m.

The only dissapointing thing about MW2 is that it was soooo short. 40-50m invested for 6 hours of gameplay? My point is that with more space they could have made it longer by making each level bigger, they got that investment back in the first few days anyway.
    Oh and Microsoft will not be bringing out a Bluray add-on for games.

Fully agree! and wouldn't buy it anyway... has a PS3 also

noodler wrote: »
    I agree with everything else you said, but surely all that is required for BR to be needed in the above scenarios is if the exclusives take up substantially more than a dual layered DVD.
    But the fact of the matter is, about half way through its life-cycle the console only has one title which has pushed its storage capacity and even that was due to its use of uncompressed audio, a practice which is completely unnecessary.
    I mean just because the exclusives didn't fill a 50GB BR doesn't mean BR wasn't needed - I mean what if they used up 10-20gb? Then the BR was needed, surely?
    Or they could just use two DVD9s and avoid the costly expense of including a Bluray drive in the console?
    Yes but I doesn't say whether it is just the uncompressed audio that filled most of the 50GB
    Ah, but you're assuming my source is Wikipedia, which it isn't. It is a well known fact (although I admit to not having a source link for this on hand) that the audio was uncompressed and given that there is a hell of a lot of it in the game, it is obvious that it took up a huge amount of space.
    How do you know other games havent come close to filling up a BD? I cant find details anywhere.
    Because I'm quite aware of how big particular assets are and how they contribute to the size of the games on disc. To give you some general examples...
    GTAIV - as big as it was it still fit on one DVD9. Now, consider the sheer amount of content in that game, both visual and audio.
    Dragon Age - again, a massive game with plenty of content which also fit on one DVD9.
    Lost Odyssey and the forthcoming Mass Effect 2 - both span multiple discs.

Now, the main difference between these games is that the latter two use a considerable amount of FMV, which is something that, in my opinion at least, is comparable to MGS4s use of uncompressed audio in the "I don't need expensive hardware to accomplish this when I can just add more discs" stakes.
    Others have said above that games for the Xbox have been compressed to fit a DVD... therefore wouldnt it be better to NOT compress files and put it on a BD? The games are the same price for Xbox and PS3. If games for the xbox are being compressed to fit on a DVD then is a larger medium not required?
    Compression doesn't always mean bad however, it's about transparency with the source. If you can compress something so that it looks 95% as good as the original but only takes up 50% of the space then you'd be crazy not to do it.
    My point is that with more space they could have made it longer by making each level bigger
    You mean with more time and hence money, they could have made each level bigger. :)

Please note that despite all the above, this isn't an attack on Bluray itself, far from it in fact. I merely think that it was introduced a generation too early and was another symptom of Sony trying to cram too much shiny hardware into the PS3 in order to beat the 360.

But the fact of the matter is, about half way through its life-cycle the console only has one title which has pushed its storage capacity and even that was due to its use of uncompressed audio, a practice which is completely unnecessary.

Or they could just use two DVD9s and avoid the costly expense of including a Bluray drive in the console?

I am sure more than one PS3 exlcusive needed more space than a dual -layered DVD.

More to the point though, were you as against the introduction of DVDs in the PS2 and XBOX? Did you advocated just including more discs then? Or do you simply feel it was warranted then and not now?

Ok, were going way off the original point for me to answer to all that (+ im working!), you make some good points but i think now the PS3 slim and Xbox 360 are similarly priced and that the Blu-ray player has more significance for a gaming point of view.

the next generation of consoles wont be out till 2011-12 at the earliest and even then the current gen will last another 3-4 years with good releases. over this time size of games will be important especially when you consider that the same games will be made for all PS3-4, Xbox 360-720.

With every new game release they will be trying to outdo the last and I believe that they will need more space.
    BD will have that space. My point all along is that BD is good for future games as they grow and require more space.

I would rather have a game not fill 50GB than be compressed onto ~10GB

• Advertisement

More to the point though, were you as against the introduction of DVDs in the PS2 and XBOX? Did you advocated just including more discs then? Or do you simply feel it was warranted then and not now?
    Ah, see this is where it gets interesting. I did in fact feel it was warranted then as, towards the end of the PS1 life cycle, we were seeing games ship on multiple CDs. Therefore it was clearly time to move onto a format with a higher capacity. However, as I outlined earlier, many expansive or technologically advanced games are still coming out on one DVD9 which implies that this generation may not have been the right time to introduce Bluray to consoles.

On a side note, there are several arguments you could make against this for the sake of Bluray adoption rates. For instance, it shipping in the PS3 helping end the horrible format war and emulating the successful takeup rate of the DVD when it shipped in the PS2. In the context of this debate, however, I'd regard that as irrelevant though. :)
    ...you make some good points but i think now the PS3 slim and Xbox 360 are similarly priced and that the Blu-ray player has more significance for a gaming point of view.
    My point all along is that BD is good for future games as they grow and require more space.

Perhaps they are now but for the last 3 years the PS3 has floundered with its exorbitant price due the inclusion of this hardware which most developers are still struggling to get to grips with. It's all well and good saying it's great for future games but if for the first half of your consoles lifetime the games coming out aren't taking advantage of the hardware properly, be it processing power or storage capacity, then perhaps a re-evaluation of their approach to console design is needed. That being said, all of this is really a discussion on the merits of Sony's overall approach to this console generation which of course is far beyond the remit of this thread so perhaps it's best if we leave it at that. :)
    I would rather have a game not fill 50GB than be compressed onto ~10GB
    Perhaps, but my point as stated above was that they could merely add another disc rather than require new hardware. Do note, the price of a blank DVD9 comes nowhere NEAR the price of a Bluray disc. :o

I take your point that there were a few multi-disc games towards the end of the PS1 life cycle. However, I can really only think of the FF series, Command and Conquer and MGS. I am sure there were more but it is safe to put the % at something like <5% I feel (or would you disagree?). I in no way advocate that the leap to DVD was a mistake but I do feel that the fact a handful of PS1 games (out of a catalogue of 1000s) required multiple discs is a fairly weak argument on it's own. It was simply progression - people would probably have argued DVD in consoles was a mistake if the PS2 had done badly and, conversly, I feel a more successful PS3 would have rendered the BR argument moot.

To sum that point up - the validity of the progression is determined by the success.

It is hard to keep the BR argument strictly to gaming since Sony obviously have a vested interest in the movie format and, to be frank, the BR player is an important aspect of a PS3 for the company's other divisions.

Still though, I think the fact most game come on one DVD is simply a result of the 360's early dominance and the company's doing the economic thing. If the PS3 had been out first and 360 install rated has been lower etc I am sure we would see alot of games which would utitlise BR more.

I take your point that there were a few multi-disc games towards the end of the PS1 life cycle. However, I can really only think of the FF series, Command and Conquer and MGS. I am sure there were more but it is safe to put the % at something like <5% I feel (or would you disagree?).
    I wouldn't disagree with the figures, more their interpretation. The point I was making was that over the life cycle of the PS1 we saw a shift from 1CD to up to 4CD games, a normal progression given the lack of an alternate format in those years. Then with the release of the PS2 we saw a natural progression to DVDs, however, over it's life cycle we did not see any (or as many) multi-disc games, therefore we had clearly not reached a point where a shift to a new format was required. This is especially true when you consider that the vast majority of PS2 games came on DVD5 disks bar those small few which came on the larger capacity DVD9 ones which were either first party releases (oh look, there's MGS again ;) ) or those with significant FMV/audio components. This is of course not mentioning those PS2 games which came on CDs, including the awesome ICO. :)
    It was simply progression - people would probably have argued DVD in consoles was a mistake if the PS2 had done badly and, conversly, I feel a more successful PS3 would have rendered the BR argument moot.
    And I would argue that the inclusion of a Bluray drive has hurt the PS3 up until this point as a gaming machine.
    To sum that point up - the validity of the progression is determined by the success.
    Again, given my point above I would counter that the validity of the progression is determined by the need for it.
    It is hard to keep the BR argument strictly to gaming since Sony obviously have a vested interest in the movie format and, to be frank, the BR player is an important aspect of a PS3 for the company's other divisions.
    Completely agree with this but again, I (as well as many industry observers) feel that Sony marketed the PS3 incorrectly at first as some sort of all-in-one wonder machine and over time has retracted this back to it's true purpose - gaming machine with some bells and whistles such as Bluray.
    Still though, I think the fact most game come on one DVD is simply a result of the 360's early dominance and the company's doing the economic thing. If the PS3 had been out first and 360 install rated has been lower etc I am sure we would see alot of games which would utitlise BR more.
    This is incorrect from a strictly development point of view. To put it quite simply, unless you fill a BR disc up with uncompressed video or audio you will not come close to filling it given today's budgets, both in terms of time and financials.

You don't have to fill it though.

You don't have to fill it though.
    Fill may have been the incorrect word, let's try this another way. I'd wager that outside of MGS4 no other game has come close to using enough space on the BR disc to justify the drives inclusion in the console. On top of this, the use of such space for MGS4 was gratuitous, so it should therefore not be used to support it's inclusion either.

Therefore, bringing it all the way back to my original point, I think it's safe to say that games are not being "limited" by the DVD medium as they have not come close to exceeding their storage capacities considering it would be no problem to simply add another disc to the package if required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People talking about games filling a BR disc should also remember that becasue of the BR's really slow disc read speed that there's a lot of data on the disc that stores nothing since it's used to increase disc access times. It was used all the time on last gen games. I'm pretty sure MGS4 used uncompressed textures as well and lossless 5.1 audio takes up a stupid amount of space. Considering how little game there was I wouldn't be surprised if it could have been fit on a DVD9 or at most 2 DVD 9s.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People talking about games filling a BR disc should also remember that becasue of the BR's really slow disc read speed that there's a lot of data on the disc that stores nothing since it's used to increase disc access times. It was used all the time on last gen games. I'm pretty sure MGS4 used uncompressed textures as well and lossless 5.1 audio takes up a stupid amount of space. Considering how little game there was I wouldn't be surprised if it could have been fit on a DVD9 or at most 2 DVD 9s.

With the story intact? What you think of the plot etc is one thing but I find it fairly pie in the sky talk to say that a game which came closest to filling up 50GB worth of space would fit on a single DVD, no matter how much lossless audio is on there.

Sqaure don't seem able to fit FF12 onto a single dvd. This means one of two things - that it simply couldn't be done (ala MGS4 speculation) or that it was built first on the PS3 (and not the other way around) and therefore the 360 is the one that has to 'adapt'.

Fill may have been the incorrect word, let's try this another way. I'd wager that outside of MGS4 no other game has come close to using enough space on the BR disc to justify the drives inclusion in the console. On top of this, the use of such space for MGS4 was gratuitous, so it should therefore not be used to support it's inclusion either.

Wow thats alot of speculation. Go do the PC check on a few PS3 exlusives and check the files first. Again, are we saying that once MGS4 has its lossless music removed that it would fit on a DVD? Again I reckon thats an overeggeration.

With the story intact? What you think of the plot etc is one thing but I find it fairly pie in the sky talk to say that a game which came closest to filling up 50GB worth of space would fit on a single DVD, no matter how much lossless audio is on there.
    Such is the sheer size of uncompressed content it is not hard to believe at all. An interesting point to note, Uncharted 2 only filled a single layer Bluray disc which equates to 25GB. Now, since I assume you've played both, do you think MGS4 has twice as much content?
    Sqaure don't seem able to fit FF12 onto a single dvd. This means one of two things - that it simply couldn't be done (ala MGS4 speculation) or that it was built first on the PS3 (and not the other way around) and therefore the 360 is the one that has to 'adapt'.
    Two points of contention here. Firstly, the FF games are notorious for their use of FMV which, as I mentioned earlier, takes up a hell of a lot of space, especially when it's HD content. This is also nothing new as, as I pointed out earlier, Lost Odyssey shipped on 4 discs back in 2007.

And secondly, there have been several games where the lead platform was the PS3 yet they still shipped on one DVD9 for the 360.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eh yeah I do believe it could be fit on 1-2 DVD9's considering there's no or very little HD video in the game. You'd be surprised by how much compression can reduce the size of massive uncompressed assets into a few megs and how far the technology has come. There's not a lot to MGS4. The game really is tiny so there's not a lot of texture and gameplay assets. Really all the storage is going towards audio which when uncompressed and in 5.1 takes up Gigs of space especially with the amount of it in MGS4. Audio compression has come a very long way and it could easily all be reduced to a gig or 2.

• Advertisement

Such is the sheer size of uncompressed content it is not hard to believe at all. An interesting point to note, Uncharted 2 only filled a single layer Bluray disc which equates to 25GB. Now, since I assume you've played both, do you think MGS4 has twice as much content?

Two points of contention here. Firstly, the FF games are notorious for their use of FMV which, as I mentioned earlier, takes up a hell of a lot of space, especially when it's HD content. This is also nothing new as, as I pointed out earlier, Lost Odyssey shipped on 4 discs back in 2007.

And secondly, there have been several games where the lead platform was the PS3 yet they still shipped on one DVD9 for the 360.

I can't see your point here? FF games have lots of FMV, always have since optical disc became the standard. It is part of the game.

Out of curiosity, what multiplatorm games have been produced on Xbox and then 'ported' to PS3? As far as I can see, the game fits on a normal DVD because it would be ludicrous to alienate a bigger install base in the 360.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eh yeah I do believe it could be fit on 1-2 DVD9's considering there's no or very little HD video in the game. You'd be surprised by how much compression can reduce the size of massive uncompressed assets into a few megs and how far the technology has come. There's not a lot to MGS4. The game really is tiny so there's not a lot of texture and gameplay assets. Really all the storage is going towards audio which when uncompressed and in 5.1 takes up Gigs of space especially with the amount of it in MGS4. Audio compression has come a very long way and it could easily all be reduced to a gig or 2.

Again, lots of conjecture. Go find me what the breakdown is, I find it very hard to believe that MGS4 could be reduced to 5gb if the audio was not compressed. What is your definition of HD video? Simply that the game uses its own engine for the cutscenes rather than insert an actual video?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i now have the 3 consoles stated here, my rank of them lies here - wii is first because of mario bros WOW great game and so much fun! (my wife now plays with me in co - op rather than moan about me spending too much time etc playing my xbox or ps3!
    xbox comes second for game collection also controllers are better fit in your hands. i had both consoles running the other day with my copy of ghostbusters in my 360 and my mates in the ps3 and xbox have quality perfected in my opinion!
    ps3 comes last as apart from a couple of exclusives and free online it is officially an expensive blue ray player!

just my opinion but its an opinion thats all!

btw gotta recommend the wii great fun now!

I can't see your point here? FF games have lots of FMV, always have since optical disc became the standard. It is part of the game.
    Yes but not HD FMV, totally different ball game. :)
    Again, lots of conjecture. Go find me what the breakdown is, I find it very hard to believe that MGS4 could be reduced to 5gb if the audio was not compressed. What is your definition of HD video? Simply that the game uses its own engine for the cutscenes rather than insert an actual video?
    The DVD9 discs we're referring to here are 8.4GB.

HD video wasn't the problem with MGS4, it was primarily the uncompressed 5.1 audio on the disc. Retr0gamer also mentioned uncompressed textures but I haven't seen any evidence of that myself.

Why are you always accusing me of conjecture? Okay lets throw out some evidence.

Kojima said that he had to cut material out of MGS4 because the 50Gb Blu-ray wasn't big enough. Kojima is also full of ****:

http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/pkns/images/2008/06/13/080613_01.png

http://www.n4g.com/up/30095/BlogPost-381030.aspx

MGS4 barely pushes 30Gb. Now since a DVD9 is 8.4Gb big even with uncompressed audio and the game engine and menues on each disc it would very easily fit on 4 DVD 9s. There would also be no need for the silly install times becasue the 360 is much better at streaming data due to it's faster optical drive.

Now if the audio is compressed which, making a very accurate educated guess, is 25Gb or more, the audio data could be compressed to 3 or 4 Gb, maybe less. You've then got a game that will fit on a single DVD9 with a little work.

I said the game might have uncompressed textures and I said this because other games like resistance used uncompressed assets. However thinking about how well MGS 4 looks and the fact that the PS3 only has a measly 256mb of video memory the textures are probably compressed.

The HD video I'm talking about is FMV video like in Final Fantasy games except at 720p/1080p. Even when compressed this takes up crazy amounts of space. MGS4 uses in game engine for it's cutscenes which take up a hell of a lot less.

I'm making that assumption that the game data for MGS4 is about 4Gb and I'm even exaggerating that a little. MGS 4 is a very small game. Each act only has about 6 areas in it that are incredibly small compared to levels in other games.

Is 25GB really an accurate guess there? I appreciate the screenshot (couldn't find it myself) but 5/6 of the game being uncompressed audio still sounds generous?

EDIT: Btw, and not saying this alone justifies BR, but I quite like uncompressed audio. Not as much as real audiophiles but nonetheless.

EDIT: Btw, and not saying this alone justifies BR, but I quite like uncompressed audio. Not as much as real audiophiles but nonetheless.
    Well I was going to make a point about a lossless codec like Flac versus uncompressed audio but one of Retr0gamers links covers that nicely. The point being, while you may feel you like uncompressed audio, the chances of you being able to tell the difference between it and a version compressed with a lossless codec are minute.

Well I was going to make a point about a lossless codec like Flac versus uncompressed audio but one of Retr0gamers links covers that nicely. The point being, while you may feel you like uncompressed audio, the chances of you being able to tell the difference between it and a version compressed with a lossless codec are minute.

Contentious issue to be perfectly honest.

EDIT: Actually it isn't is it? You are talking about a compression method which will "uncompress" the audio to exactly the same bit rate from the disc? Like in the article? I know nothing about lossless codeds.

Then again, people swear by DTS-HD or HD DD in BR soundtracks.

EDIT: Actually it isn't is it? You are talking about a compression method which will "uncompress" the audio to exactly the same bit rate from the disc? Like in the article? I know nothing about lossless codeds.
    Quite right, and it will do so with file sizes reduced to 50-60% of the original :)
    Then again, people swear by DTS-HD or HD DD in BR soundtracks.
    Indeed, however these are also lossless codecs just like FLAC. This means that, once decoded, audio encoded with either of the above standards will sound the same as with FLAC.

So, why is FLAC not used instead of above? There are a few reasons for this ranging from hardware support to marketing budgets but they are mostly irrelevant in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think Sony made the PS3 too advanced and expensive at the time of release. Pretty much everyone agrees on that. If they put in a simpler processer and cut out blu ray it would probably have done better. But Sony obviously had a plan with blu ray and if you look at it they succeeded. Not sure how much the PS3 had to do with that but I'm sure a small bit at least.

I think maybe now the PS3 will start to flex it's muscles. It has been a good year for the console and with EA saying they have maxed out the xbox but not the PS3 it could enjoy a real good 3 years before the PS4 comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i remember when i used to be into the big console debate and all that back in teh day and such. but no offence to anyone posting in here, but i find the whole subject so utterly boring its become unreadable.

"Then again, people swear by DTS-HD or HD DD in BR soundtracks." the f**k is that?

"Indeed, however these are also lossless codecs just like FLAC" ????

at the end of the day, the only thing that will ever seperate the consoles for me is the games they have. and if i can get it on the pc then i wont care at all :)

Advertisement