Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I have all consoles and I use the PS3 far more. PS3 has better exclusives at the moment and PSN is much better then XBL (as far as games on the platform)... as well as providing free internet.

Also in the box you get your blu-ray player, wifi, etc. etc. while even the simplest of things are optional extra's on the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MrMagic1

DarkJager wrote: »
    And don't forget you'll also get the pleasure of spending the equivalent cost of a PS3 each year just upgrading it to be able to play the games! As for FPS, I was big into PC gaming for many years before I switched to consoles. Controllers win hands down for FPS imo, especially the 360 controllers.

Show me a game that my 2 year old 7900GTX won't play, even plays COD4 at higher resolutions than your console. Prob due an upgrade but its not costing me the price of a console very yr. I find it hard to believe You prefer a controller over kb & mouse, that just don't make sense, but hey, I can use a 360 controller with my pc
    DarkJager wrote: »
    There's also the consideration of "ease of use". If you're content to spend ages installing the game, having it blue screen a few times then waiting weeks for a patch to make it playable, then buy a PC. If you want the gaming fast, easy and hassle free, not to mention a better laugh when playing with friends, get a console.

Takes 10 mins install a game, then 15-20 seconds to launch it from hd, no blue screens, no hassle. Course games on console are so well finished and polished they never need patches

• Registered Users Posts: 26,320 ✭✭✭✭noodler

0ubliette wrote: »
    wlrmmsr.gif

Have you seen fallout 3 PS3 compared to 360? Ps3 version looks like a PC on lowest settings, its a disgrace. In fact, in about 90% of comparisons for multi format games, 360 version is almost always the better looking/performing game.

Are you having a laugh?

Sensationalism at its worst there. You'd need to play both versions, trust me - you don't play the PS3 version thinking omg this is unplayableablablale!!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And the latest fiascho is the dreadful looking PS3 version of Bayonetta.

Fiasco? Really? What was the first one?

You can probably add Killzone 2, MGS4, the original Uncharted and VC to the list of gorgeous looking PS3 games.

If anything, I'd say at this stage the PS3 easily has the better looking exclusives.

Theres no denying the multi-platform games generally look better (on the 360)but it really, really isn't a dealbreaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Theres no denying the multi-platform games generally look better (on the 360)but it really, really isn't a dealbreaker.
    That's granted, but when looking to make a decision between one console or the other, it is a substantial discriminating factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,320 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's granted, but when looking to make a decision between one console or the other, it is a substantial discriminating factor.

I wouldn't even say substantial personally.

I mean if you like 360 games then buy a 360 and vice-versa. If you bought a 360 cos it performs better on multi-platform games despite the fact you greatly prefer the PS3 exclusives then you'd be a bit weird.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well although there's not much difference between some games, there's a few third party games that look absolutely appalling on the PS3. The darkness, bayonetta and ghostbusters look particularly bad. I'd stick my neck out and say that mgs 4, VC and killzone 2 could easily have been done on the 360. Killzone 2 seems to pull s metroid prime by disguising really low quality textures behind some lovely shader effects and atmosphere effects. Thbe 360might have some trouble pulling of the priority PS3 effects but I'm sure they can be substituted for some of it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

For what it's worth, I too have both consoles and can say hands down that the 360 is my primary console. It has some great exclusives both in terms of retail and XBLA, the online functionality is superb (yes, you get what you pay for) and the controller is imo, superior.

As for the PS3, it's used almost exclusively for platform exclusive games as seven times out of ten multiplatform games will be better on the 360. Two times out of ten they'll be the same and on the very odd occasion the PS3 will have some nicer effects e.g Bionic Commando's rather nice implementation of HDR lighting.

For the record the PS3 does not have "better graphics" in any way, shape or form. The only reason they can pull off the likes what was seen in Killzone 2 and Uncharted/Uncharted 2 is that they were built specifically for the PS3 with first-party support. These titles are still thin on the ground however and imo in no way make up for the lackluster multiplatform offerings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

PS3

Blu-Ray
    Free internet and wifi
    Games like Grand Tuirsmo and God of War out next year.
    Better built and more reliable than 360

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Polar101

With PCs nowadays since everything is a port of a console game nearly you don't really need to be ahead of the game in terms of upgrading. A medium spec PC will be far more powerful than the consoles and give you nicer looking games and you wouldn't be expected to upgrade for quite some time.

Agreed. Not to mention that owning a gaming PC doesn't actually exclude you from owning a PS3 and/or an XBOX 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MrMagic1

Plus a pc can emulate some older consoles

• Advertisement

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    PS3

Blu-Ray
    Free internet and wifi
    Games like Grand Tuirsmo and God of War out next year.
    Better built and more reliable than 360
    If you're going to come up with reasons to help the guy make a decision then you may as well try and be as unbiased and correct about it as possible. Yes you get a great BR player, but the "free internet" thing is completely incorrect. Sure you get free online play however when being compared to Live it should be prefixed with inferior due to its reduced feature set.

As for Gran Turismo and God Of War, jesus aren't even PS3 fanboys sick of justifying the console with the "but there are still great games coming out for it!!!!" line? It's been going on since launch and it's beginning to sound a little bit stale. On top of that, with Forza 3 out and the fantastic reviews it's getting for a game you can play now, the point is even further moot.

Finally the whole "Better built and more reliable than 360" argument is verging on laughable now. We all know the console had problems for some time after launch but using it to determine which console to get now is laughable. Not to mention you have the extended warranty with MS should you be struck with any of the noted problems. The PS3, on the other hand, has its own problems with the likes of the YLOD and Blu-Ray drive failures which aren't exactly uncommon and, more worryingly, aren't covered outside the standard 12 month retailer warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

gizmo wrote: »
    If you're going to come up with reasons to help the guy make a decision then you may as well try and be as unbiased and correct about it as possible. Yes you get a great BR player, but the "free internet" thing is completely incorrect. Sure you get free online play however when being compared to Live it should be prefixed with inferior due to its reduced feature set.

Such as? In every one of these threads, people mention how superior XboxLIVE is to the PSN. Can you please explain this?
    As for Gran Turismo and God Of War, jesus aren't even PS3 fanboys sick of justifying the console with the "but there are still great games coming out for it!!!!" line? It's been going on since launch and it's beginning to sound a little bit stale. On top of that, with Forza 3 out and the fantastic reviews it's getting for a game you can play now, the point is even further moot.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, inFamous, Motorstorm, Wipeout HD, WarHawk, Fat Princess, Flower, Super Stardust HD etc.

Uncharted 2 is out this Friday. Is that too far away also?
    Finally the whole "Better built and more reliable than 360" argument is verging on laughable now. We all know the console had problems for some time after launch but using it to determine which console to get now is laughable. Not to mention you have the extended warranty with MS should you be struck with any of the noted problems. The PS3, on the other hand, has its own problems with the likes of the YLOD and Blu-Ray drive failures which aren't exactly uncommon and, more worryingly, aren't covered outside the standard 12 month retailer warranty.

The issue of build-quality is not all about hardware failures. The fan on the 360 is far too loud for any piece of current computer hardware. It is distractingly bad. The disk tray scratching disks is also quite a large problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

i hope your happy "lee from india" :rolleyes:, look at what this had desended into.

owning both consoles i prefer the ps3 myself. free internet, quiet, blu ray and far less american kids online. multi platform games all look the same and anyone who tries to say otherwise is the worst sort of delusional fanboy.

360 does have better online features but when it comes to connection/lag etc. theres no difference. it all comes down to what sort of games you prefer at the end of the day. i would recommend you buy both. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

i hope your happy "lee from india" :rolleyes:, look at what this had desended into.

owning both consoles i prefer the ps3 myself. free internet, quiet, blu ray and far less american kids online. multi platform games all look the same and anyone who tries to say otherwise is the worst sort of delusional fanboy.

360 does have better online features but when it comes to connection/lag etc. theres no difference. it all comes down to what sort of games you prefer at the end of the day. i would recommend you buy both. :D

And also why, as a multi-platform gamer of 15 years, I dont use the games forum. I had hoped this would be left behind with the 'dreampants vs crapstation 2' debate.

Anyways, as a contribution to the PC debate - I cant stand PC gaming. I work long hours, I get home, I want instant COD4/PGR on my semi-massive TV (it isn't), and surround. I'm sure I could also have the same with some PC outlay, but I just cant be arsed anymore. If I cant set everything in motion within the time it takes to flop my arse down into my super-comfy chair, I dont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Truth is they're both incredibly similar with little nick-picky things between them. In terms of exclusives, each console has its own for each particular genre ie:
    FPS - Halo 3 v Killzone 2
    3rd Person Cover - Gears of War 2 v Uncharted 2
    Racing Games - Forza 3 v Gran Turismo 5
    Adventure/Storyline based Games - Fable 2/Mass Effect v Demon's Souls/Metal Gear Solid 4
    Originals - Dead Rising v LittleBigPlanet
    Downloadables - Braid/Portal v Wipeout/Fat Princess

I've both consoles and most of the games that oppose each other in each genre are so similar that I usually just play whichever one I'm in the mood for that day. Online play is determined by whichever ones your friends have really, as playing with strangers is the same on both consoles. Pick either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

God almighty. Are there ANY fanboys over the age of 15? The man asked for an unbiased opinion on the machines. Anyone who has only played one should not answer. 360 sux ps3 rulz/metal gear blows halo is teh s1t does not help anybody.

If I were you Lee I would ONLY take the opinions from the posters who have both consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

hey does anyone else think these threads should be banned? it really just gets boring and repetitive!

no offence to OP though!

byh the way buy a snes and a mega drive me thinks!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

For the OP, imo buy a PS3 if you want a media player - its blu ray is fantastic.
    If like me you buy a console for gaming id go for the 360 purely because online is a lot better than PS3 and i prefer its controllers too.
    I have a gaming pc, 360 and ps3, the pc is used a hell of a lot more than either console,i dont game at all on the ps3 but the 360 does see a quit a bit of use, hope that helps in some small way atleast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I have all the consoles and a gaming PC... here's wot i tink...

Wii: Excellent, cute, idea with very few proper titles that you'll want to play. In 2009, my Wii was turned on maybe once. A lot of games feel like cheap gimmicks rather then full-on titles. Not worth the hype at all, but only because of the games. Mario Kart and upcoming New Super Mario Bro's Wii are the only thing worth it.

360: 100% wins on the controller front. Microsoft got it spot on with their controller layout, mechanics and "feel". Exclusive games tend to match Sony pound-for-pound (Halo vs. Killzone, Forza vs. GT) in terms of AAA quality, but I find Sony's exclusive output a lot more appealing. Xbox Live is great, better then PSN (marginally) but it costs a fair whack every year while PSN is free. More then once, though (usually at Christmas time), the 360 can feel like Microsoft really just made a Halo marketing box, rather then a whole games console.

PS3: My preferred choice, even for multi-platform titles (which, often, are slightly improved on the 360 because of the architecture). Value for money includes getting wifi and "normal" hard drive in the box, so if you want more space just buy a 2.5" drive from komplett or wherever. Exclusive games are far superior to anyone elses, IMO. Free online play and as much to choose from in terms of smaller-cheaper network-only titles as Xbox Live Arcade, though quite often XBLA gets a timed exclusive.

PC: Game-wise it's a dead horse almost. Very few games come out that really interest me, and most games are out on consoles (which are far more comfortable to play on a sofa, etc.). Major AAA titles may not be coming out thick and fast, but they are coming enough to give you time to actually clear the last game. Old staples like Half Life are cheap. Only real issue is that upgrading and keeping up can be a pain - an expensive pain. Considering consoles are only €300 now, it's hard to justify PC's when their graphical output is only marginally better (at the moment). Crytek3's revolutionary engine runs on all platforms simultaniously, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3: My preferred choice, even for multi-platform titles (which, often, are slightly improved on the 360 because of the architecture).

Could you explain considering every in depth article completely disagrees except on 2 or 3 titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I think you need to re-read his post Retr0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Could you explain considering every in depth article completely disagrees except on 2 or 3 titles?

Yeah Retr0, he is saying they are better on the 360.

His ambiguous language didn't help mind, the big Sony fanboy, rabble rabble rabble. :p

no offence is meant in this post, all ribbing is of the gentle nature

Oops, read it wrong. Need to wake up today.

Otacon wrote: »
    Such as? In every one of these threads, people mention how superior XboxLIVE is to the PSN. Can you please explain this?
    No problem, some of these points may be personal opinion but others are fairly clear imo. First off, the clear cut advantages - cross game chat/invites and the party system, all of which are pretty well documented at this point so don't need much explaining. This level of dashboard integration also extends to seeing exactly what your friends are up to in-game, rather than just the name of the game they are playing. Handy for knowing whether to bother them with an invite for a multiplayer game when they're knee deep in the game's single player. Finally you also have TrueSkill, a not so obvious advantage, which means you'll be paired up with people of similar ability rather than being thrown in with more experienced players constantly

As for the games I find there are more quality releases on XBL (although I'm quite aware there are also some crackers on PSN) and every one of them has a demo, a big advantage if you want to be careful with your money. Outside of games I also find there is more general content on Live with the likes of the SentUAMessage, IGN (yay for oogling Chobot) and the movie/video download service already in place. Wrapping this up I find Live easier to find stuff on via it's menus although I do find PSN prettier with the pictures. :)

Finally, on top of all this you also have services like Last.fm/Facebook/Twitter integration coming in mid-November as well as more freebies such as the fun looking Joyride. Sky Player is coming out soon over here and will hopefully be announced in Ireland soon.

All of this comes at a cost of less than €3 a month if you get your membership online or €4 if you want to be lazy and get it in-store. Certainly worth it I reckon.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, inFamous, Motorstorm, Wipeout HD, WarHawk, Fat Princess, Flower, Super Stardust HD etc.
    Yep, all great games which I'm happy to say I finally own (bar Motorstorm) now, however my gripe is with using games which aren't even out yet to sell the console. In the case of Gran Turismo people have been using that excuse since bloody launch and it still doesn't have an EU release date so as I said, it gets a little tiring.

The issue of build-quality is not all about hardware failures. The fan on the 360 is far too loud for any piece of current computer hardware. It is distractingly bad. The disk tray scratching disks is also quite a large problem.
    Yep, certainly agree on the fan issue, I was amazed when I first turned on the PS3 and noticed how quite it was. Would it be enough to sell me on the console over the 360 though? God no, it's merely a nice perk of the console and would only really be an issue for someone who wanted a console exclusively for use as a media centre.

Haven't heard anyone give out about the disc scratching issue in a while thankfully but even when I did, the sheer number of people who couldn't understand that moving the console when it is powered on is a bad thing was quite surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Oops, read it wrong. Need to wake up today.

haha.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The noise issue is a big one for me ( have both consoles). I will get a game for PS3 over 360 as long as the port wasn't mangled because of the quietness of the console.

360 feels like there is rat in a cage in it trying to get out when its turned on. The noise level is ridiculous. There are hoovers that make less noise than that thing.

I think 360's line up last year was amazing but this year PS3 has the best exclusives and ones worth catching up on if your only getting the console.

The online is crap on both compared to Pc an you have to pay for the 360's which although a token amount is still just sh**. You can break it down to the day costs but 60 euro a year for the 4 years of the console is 240 euro which is probably going to be half the price of the next console. Considering its free on almost all other platforms, I think it is a bit extreme but then I never bought into subscription based gaming at all such as MMO's for the same reason. I got gold but I still think that is ridiculous charging for this feature when there are few games with dedicated servers.

The noise only distracts me when I'm watching a video. Most games really aren't that quiet. Anyway if you install to the HD the 360 is almost as quiet as the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

No problem, some of these points may be personal opinion but others are fairly clear imo. First off, the clear cut advantages - cross game chat/invites and the party system, all of which are pretty well documented at this point so don't need much explaining. This level of dashboard integration also extends to seeing exactly what your friends are up to in-game, rather than just the name of the game they are playing. Handy for knowing whether to bother them with an invite for a multiplayer game when they're knee deep in the game's single player. Finally you also have TrueSkill, a not so obvious advantage, which means you'll be paired up with people of similar ability rather than being thrown in with more experienced players constantly

As for the games I find there are more quality releases on XBL (although I'm quite aware there are also some crackers on PSN) and every one of them has a demo, a big advantage if you want to be careful with your money. Outside of games I also find there is more general content on Live with the likes of the SentUAMessage, IGN (yay for oogling Chobot) and the movie/video download service already in place. Wrapping this up I find Live easier to find stuff on via it's menus although I do find PSN prettier with the pictures. :)

Finally, on top of all this you also have services like Last.fm/Facebook/Twitter integration coming in mid-November as well as more freebies such as the fun looking Joyride. Sky Player is coming out soon over here and will hopefully be announced in Ireland soon.

All of this comes at a cost of less than €3 a month if you get your membership online or €4 if you want to be lazy and get it in-store. Certainly worth it I reckon.

so really its just cross game chat and parties. everything else is available on the PS3 through the internet browser. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The noise only distracts me when I'm watching a video. Most games really aren't that quiet. Anyway if you install to the HD the 360 is almost as quiet as the PS3.

None of the 360's I've heard on have ever been nearly as quiet as a PS3 and I install all games on mine to try to reduce noise.

It still sounds like there is unnecessary friction or something inside by the fan.

Advertisement