Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** General "points" thread **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

adamtj09 wrote: »
    where do u buy a paper at 11pm?

No newsagents at all open late?

I remember back in the day people used to queue outside the Irish Times & Indepedent offices to buy the papers direct.;)

Anyway - they are delivered late at night, I am guessing someone will get a look at them around midnight . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

ive seen the newspapers sitting outside my local spar at probably 1 in the morning. looks like its a night of camping down there for me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

leesmom wrote: »
    ive seen the newspapers sitting outside my local spar at probably 1 in the morning. looks like its a night of camping down there for me:D

Thats more then likely the returns from the day before ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

strongr wrote: »
    Thats more then likely the returns from the day before ;)

Haha. I'd imagine you rummaging through the pages for the points only to see that it's an old paper :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

JW91 wrote: »
    In the name of God would you ever get a grip! You're honestly so nervous that you won't be able to sleep tonight?

I've never understood how people can go so over the top about things like this.

It's not the end of the world if you don't get what you want. It's way too trivial to be losing sleep over

Are you actually joking. At the very least this effects what most of us will have to do for the next 12 months, for a lot us it will effect what we do for the next 4 years, and for a small group of us it will effect everything about our lives from this point on.

It will effect what we work as, where we work, the people we meet. A lot of relationships are born through work, so their is a good chance we will meet wives their, which means children from their. We will retire on whatever pension we get here, if its a high job it could make or break us as famous mean whether or not we get remembered.

Or it could just mean we have to repeat.

Either way, worth getting worked up about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ChickenScratch

I wouldnt rely on the papers anyway... What if you got exactly the right points but they had to do that random selection thing and you dont get an offer?? D:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wouldnt rely on the papers anyway... What if you got exactly the right points but they had to do that random selection thing and you dont get an offer?? D:

Well, it would at least give people a very good indication as to whether they are close to getting their course or not . . . in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

quick question how long do we have to accept our offers

25th ish, not certain though! It's all on the CAO site anyway, you dont even have to sign in to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

corridon69 wrote: »
    quick question how long do we have to accept our offers

http://www.cao.ie/apply.php?page=myapp
    25th Aug on first round

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

errlloyd wrote: »
    Are you actually joking. At the very least this effects what most of us will have to do for the next 12 months, for a lot us it will effect what we do for the next 4 years, and for a small group of us it will effect everything about our lives from this point on.

It will effect what we work as, where we work, the people we meet. A lot of relationships are born through work, so their is a good chance we will meet wives their, which means children from their. We will retire on whatever pension we get here, if its a high job it could make or break us as famous mean whether or not we get remembered.

Nicely put in fairness to ya!
    am.....1-0 to errlloyd haha:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

Larkin501 wrote: »
    Haha. I'd imagine you rummaging through the pages for the points only to see that it's an old paper :pac:
    that would actually be so funny:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

errlloyd wrote: »

its not.... you have your points..... the amount of points required for different courses wont change if you get up at 4am ...or 10am or even 2pm.... at this point nothing you do will change if you get into college or not..... you just wake up tomorrow at whatever time suits and find out ... at the end of the day - if you dont get the points for a college course - you can either repeat or do a post leaving cert course...or try get some work experience in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

can we definitley check the points at 4am?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lads I remember in my day (98) it was aertel at midnight, and mine had the dreaded * after it! Found out the next day i got it! Changed course after two years though!

Anyway good luck to all!

Not to go off topic but I dont think I could ever, ever EVER repeat that mother ucker again.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

leesmom wrote: »
    as above, on the off chance that i cant sleep , would it be worth my while switching my laptop on to see the points at 4am?

Leesmom, I only come on here every so often (am a nervous mammy of a Leaving-Certer), but it's clear to me that you are a bit of a star here.

I truly hope tomorrow brings you good news. You deserve it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

anyone using teletext, its rte1 page 750, to be updated at 6am apparently.

is that midnight or 4AM?

Oops, didnt read that properly - clearly all the excitement ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Edsgravy0

Can we expect them at 1 if somebody gets a paper though?

• Advertisement

Yeah probably, i know in my shop the newspapers get delivered very early. They're all well printed by now like, so anyone near a 24 hour tesco in dublin might be able to get them already. I know a maxol garage that used to sell sunday papers on a saturday night.

CANT ANYBODY GET TO A PETROL STATION AND PUT US ALL OUT OF OUR MISERY??

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I know when I did it two years ago a few points for popular courses were out at around 1 or 2am-ish. If I got just about the points for my course now and the points were out before the offers at 6am, I wouldn't be able to look at them because of the dreaded *.

I live in the sticks so I can't, come on ye metropolitans help us out!

Yeah, damned lazy dubs.

<_<

I'm in my jamies. That's my excuse and Im sticking to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

btw people you can use rte's teletext through their site. Using it from a tv is ridiculously slow.

creggy wrote: »
    btw people you can use rte's teletext through their site. Using it from a tv is ridiculously slow.

Indeed - http://www.rte.ie/aertel/750-01.html

That will be updated later.

So bottom line, unless you can get your hands on a paper early, everythin's pretty much out at 6?

Feck the all nighter, i may just go to sleep:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

i have a newspaper in my hand right now!!!

• Advertisement

OMG

Advertisement