Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** General "points" thread **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Jeebus wrote: »
    It means that the lowest scoring candidate who will receive a place in the course will have 360 points, so your cousin won't be offered a place, unless he gets a second round offer.
    ambyangel wrote: »
    sorry, 360 is the minimum. he is 10 points short

Thanks for your response, Jeebus, and Ambyangel

Oh dear, he won't be the happiest then. Is there a good chance he could grab it on Round Two then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Guys (and Gals) just relax and forget about it. I know the waiting is awful but there isn't a thing we can do about it now. We just have to see how things will shape up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Go to sleep you lot...they will come in the morning anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

adamtj09 wrote: »
    what time exactly will any indication of points for specific curses be out like between what time?

Pondering whether i should wait a while or have a miserable nights sleep

Well, they are in todays papers - so if someone got a hold of an early edition paper they would have all the information.

I am thinking the Times will not post the entire points sheet on the website. Maybe the Indo will, the online version of todays paper should be going up soon.

However, the results will be the same in the morning. Go get some rest.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Won't somebody please think of the children!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Thanks for your response, Jeebus.

Oh dear, he won't be the happiest then. Is there a good chance he could grab it on Round Two then?

It depends. I would say no, sorry. Especially if it is a course with a lot of demand for it. Sorry to be he bearer of bad news.

What happens is, the course is offered to everyone with 360+ points, then, by the 25th of August, all of those people who are still wishing to do this course will accept, possibly freeing up a few spaces. It is likely, however, if this course has shot up a lot, that there won't be many free slots available (apparently there hardly ever is). There is a remote possibility, but...its extremely remote, to be honest.

Sorry again, best of luck to your cousin !

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

yeah think i will if i don't get what i want and i'm tired it'll be a whole lot worse than if in just up out of bed and can think straight.Gonna stay for another little bit!wasnt nervous until now cause i thought i had it in the bag needed 230 (bsed on last year)got 295 but since i heard science courses had surged i think i died inside
    Well, they are in todays papers - so if someone got a hold of an early edition paper they would have all the information.

I am thinking the Times will not post the entire points sheet on the website. Maybe the Indo will, the online version of todays paper should be going up soon.

However, the results will be the same in the morning. Go get some rest.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I was very tempted to post that they'd been released, but I was here the last two years and I've been through the torture so it's just mean.

I bet ye'll all get what you want, and the besta luck.

Jeebus wrote: »
    It depends. I would say no, sorry. Especially if it is a course with a lot of demand for it. Sorry to be he bearer of bad news.

What happens is, the course is offered to everyone with 360+ points, then, by the 25th of August, all of those people who are still wishing to do this course will accept, possibly freeing up a few spaces. It is likely, however, if this course has shot up a lot, that there won't be many free slots available (apparently there hardly ever is). There is a remote possibility, but...its extremely remote, to be honest.

Sorry again, best of luck to your cousin !
    Feck, he'll be gutted.
    Hopefully some people back out and free it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Think about it from the Times point of view, they don't want to devalue their paper by giving up the one reason a couple of thousand students will buy if for. I doubt the points list is going up at all, I'm off to bed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Won't somebody please think of the children!

But we are the bleedin' children!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

I'm going to bed!
    I know I won't get offered what I want but.....
    Hope you all get what you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

GA361 wrote: »

Hahaha! That's brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

i want to cry...i need to sleep...yet i keep pressing f5 every two minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Think about it from the Times point of view, they don't want to devalue their paper buy giving up the one reason a couple of thousand students will buy if for. I doubt the points list is going up at all, I'm off to bed!

Fair point, i'm off to bed. No fear anyway, i've applied for a "construction industry" related course with twenty points to spare
    Points for virtually any degree course linked to construction have slumped. These include courses in quantity surveying, property management, architecture and civil engineering.
    I think i might be alright:rolleyes:
    GA361 wrote: »

I do believe that was the point of the statement:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Think about it from the Times point of view, they don't want to devalue their paper by giving up the one reason a couple of thousand students will buy if for. I doubt the points list is going up at all, I'm off to bed!

If they don't post the results on the web before six, students will check aertel or the CAO site and the Times will lose online ad revenue. So I'm staying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 cereal-killer

Science in UCD up by 85 points according to the Irish Times..
    Doesn't affect me personally but I know there will be alot of disappointment in the morning.
    We picked some year to do the leaving eh? :(
    Hope ye all get what ye want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Blue_Rose

I think I'll go watch American Dad and head back here in 20 mins and see what the story is!

Here, I'm not being bashing of the paper, and I'm sorry if it's a silly question, but how trustworthy are the 'points' that the Irish Times have now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Here, I'm not being bashing of the paper, and I'm sorry if it's a silly question, but how trustworthy are the 'points' that the Irish Times have now?

They are the points :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

The newspapers receive a copy of the points in advance. They publish them in the newspaper and write a article on them if they chose to do so.
    They are accurate unless someone has messed up copying information from x to y.

Hope you all get what you want by the way. Best of luck.

You stay away from UCC medicine, Cookie Kwan owns west sid-...I mean...medicine :mad:.

But how do they have them earlier?
    Surely they aren't DEFINITE?

Wouldn't that jeopardise the integrity of the system, somewhat.
    Like, a commercial newspaper knows the scores before the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Well they get them from the CAO so fairly solid like..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Central Applications Office give them the results so as they can publish them in the mornings papers . . .

The Central Applications Office give them the results so as they can publish them in the mornings papers . . .
    That's madness.
    They should just release the details at twelve, so!

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

It has to be the correct points mate. If not the Irish Times could be taken to court over displaying incorrect figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

up 85 that is something serious!!!!!god i hope my course dosent go up that much!!!!

• Advertisement

They get them earlier so that it can be in the morning paper for tomorrow, so that they can print the paper with the information that everyone is dying to know.

It doesn't really jeopardize the system at all...as far as I can see !

Advertisement