Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** General "points" thread **

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me whats an honour in higher level, or whats an honour in lower? As in grades. Cant remember what it is. Thanks.

In my day an honour was an A, B or C, regardless of level.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Davidius wrote: »
    My first choice went down 40 points.

A bit bittersweet though, considering my brother didn't get an offer because of the 85 points rise. Off by 15 ffs.

I didnt get one either...if it makes him feel better tell him i missed my 2nd preference by FIVE.
    I'm so sad right now...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Can anyone tell me whats an honour in higher level, or whats an honour in lower? As in grades. Cant remember what it is. Thanks.

Tere isn't any set definition as far as I'm aware, but I'd regard an honour as a C or higher at higher level. I wouldn't say anything at ordinary level is an honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Where can you see the points of the courses?I'd like to have a look at a few,And infact see what my course is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Got history in Trinity, absolutely delighted.
    Had an amazing stroke of luck in that the course randomly dropped 5 points to exactly the number I got. I feel like I have somehow cheated the system :pac:

• Advertisement

Jay P wrote: »
    Tere isn't any set definition as far as I'm aware, but I'd regard an honour as a C or higher at higher level. I wouldn't say anything at ordinary level is an honour.

Yeah id go with that alright. "Honour" doesnt mean anything these days really, but some people use it as a synonym for "Higher Level", some use it for an A, B, C or D in Higher Level, some use it for an A, B or C in Higher Level, and some use it to mean an A, B, or C in any level.
    Ricky91t wrote: »
    Where can you see the points of the courses?I'd like to have a look at a few,And infact see what my course is

http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Jay P wrote: »
    Firat choice:
    CK407 - Mathematical Science. UCC.
    Points 2008: 480
    Points 2009: 515 :eek: I did not see that happening. I thought it could go up to 500, but not 515!

Thankfully, Jay P's 2009 Leaving Cert points: 515

Fknin job.

I still haven't accepted yet though.

My best mate is doing this alson. Well done chum.

Got my course. It went down 5 after all my worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Just accepted Law in UCD! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

An 'honour' is an A, B or C on a Higher Level paper.

A, B and C at Ordinary Level are not technically Honours. In the old days we called them 'red honours'. If a course is looking for honours, it's looking for A, B or C in Higher.

spurious wrote: »
    An 'honour' is an A, B or C on a Higher Level paper.

A, B and C at Ordinary Level are not technically Honours. In the old days we called them 'red honours'. If a course is looking for honours, it's looking for A, B or C in Higher.

Yeah ive heard that as well alright. I suppose its all academic really, cos no colleges that i know of use "honours"...itll say required: grade HD3 or OC3 or whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

the more i think about how happy i am that i got my offer the angrier it makes me

i could have sat on my arse for a year not gone through the stress of repeating and still got any one of my 1st 2nd and 3rd choices which were all just out of reach last year but dropped this year

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

the more i think about how happy i am that i got my offer the angrier it makes me

i could have sat on my arse for a year not gone through the stress of repeating and still got any one of my 1st 2nd and 3rd choices which were all just out of reach last year but dropped this year

that is a sickner! could be worse though!:)
    what sort of courses are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I've accepted msiss in Trinity. I ended up almost 100 points clear. It dropped by 35 points to 400. I was kind of surprised by the big drop actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

I've accepted msiss in Trinity. I ended up almost 100 points clear. It dropped by 35 points to 400. I was kind of surprised by the big drop actually.

same see you there ;)

ayapatrick they're all maths based courses :O

ah come on! onwards and upwards like. You can bet your bottom dollar that if ya hadnt repeated, the points would have gone up at a rate of knots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Same, had enough points for Medicine with my last year's points as it was :P

Ah well. I didn't exactly push myself too much this year anyway... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

I feel really annoyed that I bothered working at all my course was only 210 this year, I scored well in excess of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Mission accomplished!:D

Tuesdays post of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Crazypaddy

Well I have to say you guys did all the work , I just took a few photos.
    I have just used boards as an information source before last night but sure might see you all with my Canon SLR to deliver the points 3 hours early next year or I might try and get my hands on the budget 2010 and change it a bit :D

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Mission accomplished!:D

Tuesdays post of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Saul-Good wrote: »
    I feel really annoyed that I bothered working at all my course was only 210 this year, I scored well in excess of that!
    I feel the same as you.Mine was 215 and I got 275.Renewable energy I.T.T.
    What was your course and how many points did you get?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    I feel the same as you.Mine was 215 and I got 275.Renewable energy I.T.T.
    What was your course and how many points did you get?:)

I'm doing Heritage Studies in GMIT, I ended up getting 350.

In fairness though I probably wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't try. Never knowing what I'd have been capable of would really have killed me after a while. I just have the image of me opening the envelope with my results in it and having nothing but apathy when I see my grades, all the while everyone around me is laughing and smiling with relief and surprise.

I'm annoyed that I bothered in the best way possible:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Arts with Music in UCC! Hell yeah! :D

I don't actually know if the points went up or down? I got it either way. :)

Advertisement