Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Playing Metroid Zero Mission on GBA, really enjoying it which is a bit surprising as I hated the original on NES, although the two are quite different. If I manage to get through it all Super Metroid will be a certain purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Playing Metroid Zero Mission on GBA, really enjoying it which is a bit surprising as I hated the original on NES, although the two are quite different. If I manage to get through it all Super Metroid will be a certain purchase.

Great game Zero Mission, you should get Metroid Fusion on GBA, I find it better then ZM but it is hard in the later levels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Gotta love those "oh fffuuuuu****kkkk!!!" moments when you're spotted by SA-X!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Lemmings on SNES. Bringing back the memories of playing two player in the dump stage with my cousin. Just digging and building stairs and not even trying to past the stage.
    Love the music.

Also been playing Bomberman on the same system. Used to have it on the gameboy. Played it with the missus last night and she just couldn't grasp the concept of it at all. Some people were deprived and didn't have nintendo growing up. I pity them.

I don't have either of these, but have played them quite a bit over the years. Might get them at some stage. I found Lemmings a bit awkward with the pad (having initially played it on an Acorn RISC OS machine with a mouse) but I like the music on the SNES version. Then again I like a lot of SNES music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had Lemmings on nearly every console I own, and if you think Lemmings is hard on a console with a joypad, try playing it B&W, on an original Gameboy.
    I did and it still rocked!
    Didn't like the Lemmings 3D effort on the PS though.
    The versions I loved were the Amiga/PC editions and, later, the MD/Snes versions, not to mention the GB one mentioned above.
    Little buggers!

Have to say though, those opening levels feel warm and comfortable now, a bit like the first hour of Mario World and most of Sonic...
    Doom is a bit like that too, knowing where the secrets are, how to stroll off right to the chainsaw, just like real life!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I had Lemmings on nearly every console I own, and if you think Lemmings is hard on a console with a joypad, try playing it B&W, on an original Gameboy.
    I did and it still rocked!

Play it every week, it's a really fun challanging game thats simple in its design but a whole lotta fun to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Going from the GB to the Pocket, going from green/yellow+blackish green blur-o-vision to beautiful, crisp mono lcd goodness, this is what St. Paul must have felt like when God spoke to him on the way to Damascus!

Must have been a match on or something...

I fell off a donkey once in Bundoran, must have been similar.
    My epiphany was to never go there again though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Street Fighter Zero on the Cps changer Through Mess

Bloody good game:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Guwange and DoDonPachi Resurection on XBLA and iPad respectively. I can't stop playing them, especially DoDonPachi!

The good news is these are tiding me over until my copy of Mushihimesama Futari is dispatched (current dispatch wait time is 1 week from Play Asia apparently).

I saw Deathsmiles yesterday in Game in Blanky town. :)
    Only 17 euro! :):)

But wife/game censor was with me :(

Went home, empty handed :(:(

Feck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I saw Deathsmiles yesterday in Game in Blanky town. :)
    Only 17 euro! :):)

But wife/game censor was with me :(

Went home, empty handed :(:(

Feck!!!

Get it bought quickly and regret nothing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't believe you gave up so easily. Did you not try and explain the intricate attack patterns and how it also includes new modes for mere mortals and how it's an excellent game to really test out that joystick? I'm sure she would have understood then that you needed the game.

Either that or say you need to make a long visit to the toilet and hide the game up your jumper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Look, who's more important to answer to in terms of gaming purchases? Your wife, or people on the internet? We all clearly know the answer to that one.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Either that or say you need to make a long visit to the toilet and hide the game up your jumper.

Well I wasn't wearing a jumper so it wasn't an option and I ain't hiding it up anything else!

I will have to dress appropriately next time, combats with big pockets!

Look, who's more important to answer to in terms of gaming purchases? Your wife, or people on the internet? We all clearly know the answer to that one.

You lot are, of course, very important to me but she does things you simply can't, like let's me live in this house and hang onto a sliver of sanity!

Being playing a lot of Super RC Pro AM layely on Gameboy, what a great little game it is lots of arcade style fun and frustration:D

I have played them on Nes via emu, oddly enough on the GB Micro through a flashcart, fun!
    RC Pro Am 2 is brilliant, another little Nes game boxing above its weight.

Well the RC Pro AM games are great so are the Super off Road Racer games, I think it's the simplicity of them thats makes them os good

I used to play a lot of Super Sprint and Championship Sprint back in the day, glorious 4 player cabs!
    Of course none of that means I was any good!

Played a fair bit of super sprint myself but it was a stupidly difficult game, lots of fun though.
    Super off Road Racer was my favourite game from that genre and what a game it was, just so much fun and hard enough to bring serious frustration on without ever taking from the game as it was fair(ish)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing Terminator 2 on the MD and got further than I had before, woo Cyberdyne! But the difficulty curve in the game is a bastard, and suddenly boom title screen. Garr!

Also Super Hang On. Cursed other racers! Keep getting near perfect runs on beginner until a last second mistake costs me dearly. Lots of fun, but had forgotten how hard it is!

Ah Terminator, the first one anyways, on the MD, one of the most hyped pieces of crap ever.
    I mean, with Rise of the Robots, you kinda had a feeling, deep down, this was going to suck, but with Terminator you still had hope that it was going to be epic,
    The previews were glowing, the articles on the animation, the music, the scenes from the film...
    Expectations growing into knuckle gnawing excitement!
    And then!
    Pants, big grey pants with a brown gusset!
    What a terrible game!
    You try to do that thing, when you haven't much money to spend on games or a game shop that has a gamer friendly returns policy, and you try to convince yourself that it is not so bad, that you could grow to like it..
    But no dice!
    The Terminator is a stinking rotten turkey!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Terminator on the megadrive was ok. Way too short though. Only 4 levels that weren't very long and the last level doesn't really count as a level either. Oh also it was the worst last level ever made. Basically you ran from a half dead terminator crawling along the ground and if you took the wrong route it was instant death. So i came down to playing the game enough to memorise the route. Really cheap way of extending the lenght of a game that was about 20 minutes long without it.

Robocop vs Terminator had an equally disappointing last level. At least RvT was an ok game if nothing special. The was only 3 things keeping me playing this poor excuse for a euro contra (basically turrican except in this case, turrican but mediocre). Frist was the lincense, which they really didn't do much with at all. Second was the gore which disappeared one third of the way into the game. And lastly I was told the last boss was Skynet. I really wanted to see what it looked like. What I got was a giant terminator head on the left side of the screen :/

This is the T2 game I'm playing:

It's a game I inherited from my cousins, and it is most certainly a piece of crap. Yet a fiendishly difficult piece of crap. The vehicle levels have the most bizarre compass ever, making it occasionally an exercise in frustration. There's bits you wouldn't guess how to do without the aid of the internet / instruction manual (I don't have the latter). And the most irksome gameplay flaw of all is the scattered 'future items', pointless collectibles you must find to complete a level.

It, however, is something I'm now determined to complete, having finally got further than my feeble childhood reflexes could handle. BRING IT CYBERDYNE.

The mini-gun's cool though.

You poor guy, I went through the urge to complete ****ty game recently with Actraiser 2 :( It's not worth it. You finally complete it and then realise that you have 3 Y's games for the PSP and Valkyria Chronicles that could have been getting played at the expense of this ****ty game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection.

In a word, definitive.

I'll probbaly pick that up when it's cheap. I've played FF4 in it's various iterations way too much and think it looks a little cheap when I look at it now. Would be interested in the after years episodes though, do you know if you have to complete the game to play them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You do not, freely available from the main menu.

Not going to play it until I've completed IV (again) though.

I wonder if my PSN a/c has been hacked, I hope the theives gave some good taste, if they only buy Fifa titles I'll be well disappointed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Anybody think Sony might compensate us all for having our accounts hacked? I doubt it but its a nice thought.

Advertisement