Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now I'm gonna have to cancel my credit card and get a new one and change all my passwords, I am not amused!
    Better be some freebies to say sorry Sony!
    You can give one of those PSP Go consoles out of the skip I see behind you there, thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Now I never used a credit card on PSN but I need some compensation!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I dont have a ps3, but my new ps2 has been emotionally scarred by this development and we also want compensation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A copy of God of War 3 would do me nicely Mr Sony.

I've just realised that nearly halfway through the year and I've not played one game from 2011 yet, other than tried some 3DS games :O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

PS3 is not Retro

Please Discuss any matters with hacking/Idiots who give there CC details in the appropriate forum

link removed,

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Sparks43 wrote: »
    PS3 is not Retro

Please Discuss any matters with hacking/Idiots who give there CC details in the appropriate forum

link removed,

Wow, didn't know you were made a mod sparks, congrats :pac:

PS1 games are available to download on the PSN, right? That could be considered Retro...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n wrote: »
    PS1 games are available to download on the PSN, right? That could be considered Retro...

Actually, noticed that Play-Asia have started selling digital delivery Japanese PSN credit at reasonable prices, not having to use slightly suspicious Ebay sellers. Good for picking up the wealth of great PS1 shooters available on there.

Some ****ing good it is now!

PS3 is not Retro

link removed,

Lol

How can posting a link to the mustard forum be considered a back seat mod :confused:

Wow, didn't know you were made a mod sparks, congrats :pac:

I cant be a mod m8 i have a sense of humour :D

I dont really consider the Ps1 to be retro at the moment maybe after the next gen comes and goes

18 years plus is retro imo

Master of the Universe

I dont really consider the Ps1 to be retro at the moment maybe after the next gen comes and goes

Either do I, but a lot of people do. Retro is a term which is very relative to the person using it. I generally find that if something is on a media which is still in use (in this case cds) then it's not really Retro for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In fairness - though I imagine your post was meant in jest Sparks - the "Idiots who give there CC details" comment wasn't called for. Surely you've given your credit card details somewhere, and the many millions of us who have on PSN are rightly a little concerned.

Retro or not (and plenty of retro content on PS1 - Neo Geo retro enough :pac:), hardly an issue worth ignoring on a gaming forum!

Amazingly i dont use a CC never had any confidence in them

And i most certainly would not use one for gaming sites as they are a target for hackers

The post was only meant as a joke and i would never want to offend anyone but in hindsight the idiot comment was a bit wrong

Master of the Universe

Worst thing that can happen with a credit card - someone steals yours and uses it fraudulently. You notice, contact your bank, they'll sort it out. In about 10 years of using them I've been scammed once through ebay and had the money refunded. That's it. There really is nothing to worry about.

It in no way compares to the evil that is debit card skimming..as that's linked directly to your bank money rather than just credit. I'm sure the bank would still cover you, but it's a scarier thought.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I got done before by someone who cloned my card, they got about 120quid on me. I was lucky I was out shopping and took out 480 or something so there was only 120 left on my limit for that day i think. I contacted the bank and got the money back. id take out 480 at the square in tallaght and ten minutes later someone in drogheda took out the 120! Took a few weeks to get it back but didnt get any hassle or anything off the back, they just refunded it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Lol

How can posting a link to the mustard forum be considered a back seat mod :confused:

Not so much the link but the instruction to not post PSN crisis matters in this forum as it is A&R.
    That is back seat modding.

But thanks for your input,
    Share and Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I would think retro is any console not supported for 5 years so IMO the PS1 is retro(ish) any anything prior to that era is definitely retro.
    I suppose it's down to the individual.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not so much the link but the instruction to not post PSN crisis matters in this forum as it is A&R.
    That is back seat modding.

What! no talking about the hilarious issues regarding PSN... for shame;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

keithgeo wrote: »
    I got done before by someone who cloned my card, they got about 120quid on me. I was lucky I was out shopping and took out 480 or something so there was only 120 left on my limit for that day i think. I contacted the bank and got the money back. id take out 480 at the square in tallaght and ten minutes later someone in drogheda took out the 120! Took a few weeks to get it back but didnt get any hassle or anything off the back, they just refunded it.

Well I nearly got skimmed at the bank machine last weekend in Tallaght village, luckily enough I spotted it and took the appropriate action.
    I smashed that skimming machine good:D

Master of the Universe

pdbhp wrote: »
    Well I nearly got skimmed at the bank machine last weekend in Tallaght village, luckily enough I spotted it and took the appropriate action.
    I smashed that skimming machine good:D

I got a call from the AIB saying I'd been skimmed a couple of weeks ago. No money taken, but they had to cancel my ATM debit card. And it was three days before I went on a holiday!

Credit card saved me there as I was able to use it to withdraw money.

Funny thing is, they had rang my girlfriend 5 minutes before they rang me. So we must have used the same ATM one after another.

I'm usually pretty catious with ATM machines. Must have used a dodgy one after having a few beers some night.

Wasn't it better in the old days, when someone would stick a syringe in your side and make you withdraw all your cash or they'd give you HIV, ah good times!

And I really want to play more Majoras Mask but time is limited, where will I find the gaming time? Too full of house painting, dog washing and swing building thats whats wrong...
    Or is that house washing, swing painting and dog building?...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Finshed Mario World Yesterday, we started Mario 64 after that but the graphics on it are all fuzzy and i felt sea sick after about 10 minutes. need to get a proper cable for the nintendo 64 I cant standz those fuzzy graphics. The cable im using has 3 cables going into a scart adapter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

keithgeo wrote: »
    Finshed Mario World Yesterday, we started Mario 64 after that but the graphics on it are all fuzzy and i felt sea sick after about 10 minutes. need to get a proper cable for the nintendo 64 I cant standz those fuzzy graphics. The cable im using has 3 cables going into a scart adapter.

Unfortunately that is the best cable you can get for the PAL N64 and yes it's going to look like absolute ****e either way.

However I have found somebody that can modify an s-video cable that will work on a PAL N64 so will report back during the week and tell you if it's much better.

Other than that you can buy the Wii version which looks great in 480p.

Nearly finished Crysis 2!
    Pity I can't use the trade in value to get retrogames...

"Hello Mr. Game person, I'd like to trade in this here copy of Crysis 2 please"
    "Erm, yeah, sure like, yeah, what are you interested in getting, how about Fifa N (where N is a value 2000+Y, Y being an integer of 9 or more).
    "Nope, I'd like to get a Gameboy Player for my 'cube and maybe a copy of Super Metroid for my Snes"
    "Eh... what? You want to play with my cube? SECURITY TO THE TILLS PLEASE!!!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

You could however sell crysis 2 on adverts and use the money to buy retro games!

An excellent plan sir!
    That new haircut has not damaged your intellect one jot!

Master of the Universe

Got a chance to test out my Test PS2.

Actually, funny story, my girlfriend asked wtf I was up to around the back of the TV.

'I'm just testing my ps2'

'Oh okay...wait wtf, since when does your PS2 have test written on the side of it?'

'The logo on the side changes to "test" when you're testing it'

For a moment she almost believed me :D

It's an interesting machine. I had a load of ps1 backups lying about from different regions and it played them all no bother. There's an ever so slight flicker, but I'm hoping that's just the TV as I was playing it on an LCD.

Haven't figured out how to FTP over to the harddrive in it though. I still can't figure out if I need to follow the same proceedure as people with a Harddrive in a normal ps2 or if this is somehow different?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Got a chance to test out my Test PS2.

Actually, funny story, my girlfriend asked wtf I was up to around the back of the TV.

'I'm just testing my ps2'

'Oh okay...wait wtf, since when does your PS2 have test written on the side of it?'

'The logo on the side changes to "test" when you're testing it'

For a moment she almost believed me :D

It's an interesting machine. I had a load of ps1 backups lying about from different regions and it played them all no bother. There's an ever so slight flicker, but I'm hoping that's just the TV as I was playing it on an LCD.

Haven't figured out how to FTP over to the harddrive in it though. I still can't figure out if I need to follow the same proceedure as people with a Harddrive in a normal ps2 or if this is somehow different?

Cant you halt those boxes during boot to allow ftp access and password resets and all that. Or is that just the dev units and not the test PS2?

Is this test PS2 a linux box or is it the one that allows you to run discs from any region and from cd-r/dvd-r?

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Cant you halt those boxes during boot to allow ftp access and password resets and all that. Or is that just the dev units and not the test PS2?

Is this test PS2 a linux box or is it the one that allows you to run discs from any region and from cd-r/dvd-r?

The 'TOOL' ps2 is the one that's a linux box. It has two separate sections, one side has linux and the other is a ps2. They're then linked together.

It's meant to be a pretty well designed setup. Would love to get one but they cost a fortune! I've only ever seen one on ebay and I think it was selling for something mad like 3k.

Bing things too -

Picture2552.jpg

Different TEST ps2s can do different things. Some cant run backups, some can. Luckily, my one can run ps1 and ps2 backups (or retail games as far as I know) from any region.

The one I have also had the HDD as standard. What I can't figure out though is the purpose of it. It's quite possible that it's simply there to act like a normal PS2 HDD. (In which case I'd need to follow the normal PS2 HDD FTP procedure)

But then if it's a test unit, you think the HDD would be for FTPing over test software to avoid having to burn discs?

He he, o1s1n has posted a picture of a big tool....
    he he, cool, he he....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

just passed Super Bomberman 1.
    Trying a go at Secret of Evermore now. Just got it today. I never played it before. Any good?

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    just passed Super Bomberman 1.
    Trying a go at Secret of Evermore now. Just got it today. I never played it before. Any good?

There's a lot of hate for Secret of Evermore since Secret of Mana fans blame it for not getting SoM 2 in the West (which is totally unfounded). It's a really good game with an amazing soundtrack from Jeremy Soule, his first videogame soundtrack.

Advertisement