Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I started playing Actraiser 2 last night, inspired by backloggery's live stream last night. It's one of the most beautiful games ever made with simply stunning 2D art. Unfortunately it's also got one of the most infuriating control schemes of any game. It seems short at least.

Not a patch on the first actraiser game which combined 2D platforming with a god sim and was a strange and wonderful beast.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Playing Painkiller on the Xbox after watching the ZeroPunctuation review of BulletStorm, and its fun so far!

It's fun but gets really repetitive later on since the level design is basically just walking from one arena to the next. Wish someone would come along and marry this type of insane FPS combat with some actual level design. In other words make a game just like Doom 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been rediscovering the joy of lightgun games with my girlfriend. Lots of House of the Dead 2 and Confidential Mission. She loves them. Tis great fun :)

I also finally managed to unlock red blood mode in House of the Dead 2. I think I pulled every muscle in my arm in the process.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How do you do that? I have that one since it came out and always hated the green blood thing. I have house of the dead on the saturn and I think its red blood all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've been rediscovering the joy of lightgun games with my girlfriend. Lots of House of the Dead 2 and Confidential Mission. She loves them. Tis great fun :)

I also finally managed to unlock red blood mode in House of the Dead 2. I think I pulled every muscle in my arm in the process.

I hear ya man :cool: My Saturn light gun landed yesterday, & I've been Virtua Cop'ing it since...blows any of that Wiimote crap away.

Master of the Universe

It's stupid beyond belief that it's not a really straightforward unlock..or even just in the menu. Obviously people want red bloody in HOTD! Maybe it was to get around censors? It's amazing how gory the game gets with a simple colour change.

To unlock it you just complete Original mode. There's no way of putting original mode in easy, so you have to do the whole thing in normal.

It defaults to 5 continues with three lives in each. But there's an option for upgrades at the very start. You REALLY need to go for the +2 continues upgrade. The last bit of the game eats lives away from you.

In fact, on the very last boss it came down to my last continue, my last block of health..and HE was on his last block of health. He came flying straight at me and I got one lucky shot at him. It was like a bloody showdown in the wild west. I was shaking afterwards :D

Oh and remember to have a VMU in the gun! Would suck ass to go through the trauma of that only to find it didn't save.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I hear ya man :cool: My Saturn light gun landed yesterday, & I've been Virtua Cop'ing it since...blows any of that Wiimote crap away.

I don't have a Saturn lightgun come to think of it. I take it the Virtua Cop port is good? The first House of the Dead was released for the Saturn too wasn't it? I may need to invest in a lightgun!

Have you played the port of Virtua Cop 2 on the Dreamcast? It's pretty good. Although a bit dated looking when compared to things like Confidental Mission. One of the nicest looking games I've seen on the DC. Lovely.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I don't have a Saturn lightgun come to think of it. I take it the Virtua Cop port is good? The first House of the Dead was released for the Saturn too wasn't it? I may need to invest in a lightgun!

Have you played the port of Virtua Cop 2 on the Dreamcast? It's pretty good. Although a bit dated looking when compared to things like Confidental Mission. One of the nicest looking games I've seen on the DC. Lovely.

Well it seems a fiathful conversion from the arcade version, it plays very very well & is a lot of fun. VC2 is also out on the Saturn, but tbh if its on DC aswell I'd prob quicker play it on that for its additonal grunt.

Light gun games rock! Hard.

Master of the Universe

It was a really sad casualty of the big LCD takeover. :(

I'd mention how glorious they are on your old Trinitron..but you know, that'd be mean :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Virtua Cop 2 on the DC? Why haven't I heard about this until now!

I played Virtua Cop 2 on the Saturn and it's a fantastic port. Also the PS2 double pack is great as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jetblack1981

Im playing all of those old N64 wrestling games.
    WWF Wrestlemania 2000
    WCW vs. nWo: World Tour
    WCW/NWO Revenge
    and some game called
    WWF No Mercy.
    Don't think that last game is still talked about today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Been playing alot of Ninja Gaiden on the NES. Love it when you die and the screen starts flashing like you've dropped acid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Going to procure VC2 for the DC asap, that game was probably one of the most perfect light gun games of all.
    Remember the competition between Namco and Sega, possibly the only devs worth their salt making light gun titles, first in the arcade then translating them to the PS and Saturn.
    Good times.

Always wanted a better Silent Scope game for the home though, loved that game.

And the Die Hard 2 segment of Die Hard Trilogy was great fun as well, made up for the first part that sucked.

Going to procure VC2 for the DC asap, that game was probably one of the most perfect light gun games of all.
    Remember the competition between Namco and Sega, possibly the only devs worth their salt making light gun titles, first in the arcade then translating them to the PS and Saturn.
    Good times.

Always wanted a better Silent Scope game for the home though, loved that game.

And the Die Hard 2 segment of Die Hard Trilogy was great fun as well, made up for the first part that sucked.

Ugh, DC lightgun games struck me with a condundrum today. I have my DC poised under the lcd ready for a vga box...this obviously means if I want to play a lightgun game I've to run the scart I have for it over to the crt for light gun goodness...damn lcd's & their damned hatred of lightguns (yeah I know about the sensor bars you can get etc, but they can fugg off tbh).

Master of the Universe

I always thought DC VGA is a little bit overrated. It does look great, but I think it's more useful for being able to rotate LCD panels vertically for shooters more than any visual improvement. DC through RGB on a CRT looks gorgeous.

I have a VGA box on my DC but I think I am just using it for the AV output as I don't have a proper AV cable for it, and the wifely ebay ban means it could be some time before I can get one!!

Yes, I know its just lousy composite, let the furore of angst begin, rgb, RGB, RGB!

Master of the Universe

I have a VGA box on my DC but I think I am just using it for the AV output as I don't have a proper AV cable for it, and the wifely ebay ban means it could be some time before I can get one!!

Yes, I know its just lousy composite, let the furore of angst begin, rgb, RGB, RGB!

Wait, you have a VGA box but you don't have a VGA cable? You can get them for less than a fiver!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Playing Bubble Bobble Memories and Symphonies on MAME

Very good games i must say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Been trying out MameHub, lately. Very few people (3 - 4 people) do be online but if you want to play a Mame game online with a buddy and with very little lag then I recommend it.

Still in development, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Amstrad,despite having some legoman type graphic games had some nice looking games,like this port of combat school-

Speccy port was good too,with a single load for 128k owners-

Despite using emu,there's still alot of waggling of joysticks!.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just played SNES Pilotwings for the first time - good stuff, with a helluva learning curve :pac:

Now onto my first foray into Majora's Mask. I know, the one Zelda game that has long alluded me!

• Advertisement

My advice for majoras mask is to stick with it because it's unlike any other game let alone zelda game. It's tough to get into but once you do it's so worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah played up until you get the Ocarina back last night, I'm impressed - certainly a radically different take on the series! There's a real sense of urgency and worry already. I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Lemmings on SNES. Bringing back the memories of playing two player in the dump stage with my cousin. Just digging and building stairs and not even trying to past the stage.
    Love the music.

Also been playing Bomberman on the same system. Used to have it on the gameboy. Played it with the missus last night and she just couldn't grasp the concept of it at all. Some people were deprived and didn't have nintendo growing up. I pity them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Just finished mother 1 today. Lovely little game especially with an easy patch to take out the grinding. Final boss battle is brilliant.

I played with no easy patch and the amount of grinding and the final area were ridiculous but well it is an 8-bit RPG. The finally few scenes when the story comes together are great though. Best thing about the mother series, they seem whimsical but they are in fact very dark. Next up earthbound and mother 3 which are works of genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My advice for majoras mask is to stick with it because it's unlike any other game let alone zelda game. It's tough to get into but once you do it's so worth it.
    This Zelda freeware game is also "unlike any other Zelda" :)

princess00.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ondafly

playing Minecraft alot on the boards.ie server - although not retro, building Giant Bub & Bobs is :D

Screenshot2011-04-11at214052.png

I used to make loads of pixel art in the boards.ie server. My megaman became a bit of a landmark on one of them. This was back before the cloth blocks so you had to be creative with the colours you wanted to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ondafly

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I used to make loads of pixel art in the boards.ie server. My megaman became a bit of a landmark on one of them. This was back before the cloth blocks so you had to be creative with the colours you wanted to use.

was that on Tallons server ? the new boards.ie one is a survival mode, so its a right pain having to trek about trying to get the bits and pieces together, but great fun all the same.

• Advertisement

SNES Pilotwings is surprisingly addictive. It's the ****ing hanggliding sections that get me, and the sarky bastard instructors make me want to shout, put my hands up and shout.

Majora's Mask really is uniquely innovative. Genuinely different from other Zelda games while still remaining loyal to the series. It's strange, dark and compelling.

Advertisement