Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah it got a great critical reception but poor sales. Must play it myself, got it for a fiver in a Gamestop and it's Level 5 which is usually a mark of quality.

Did it? I know it didn't do as well as the first dark cloud but I thought it did close enough to a million?

Such a shame rouge galaxy was so mediocre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rogue Galaxy was good but just too drawn out for it's own good. It should have been shorter with shorter dungeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,650 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

megaten wrote: »
    Is Dark Chronicle considered obscure? That's one fantastic game.

That's one game I saw a lot in game shops, always meant to pick up but never did. Cheers, I'll try and get my hands on that too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If there's one Level 5 game you have to play it's Dragon Quest 8. It's fantastic. But play Persona 3 first :P

Master of the Universe

So which is better, Persona 3 or 4? I am hoping 3, as that means I get to play them in order! Or does order really matter?

• Advertisement

Both are absolutely amazing games but persona 4 is the better game. However I'd advise playing Persona 3 first because I know a few people who find it hard to go back to Persona 3 after the improvements to P4 and it would be a shame to miss out of P3 because of this. So definitely start with Persona 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yup agree 100% with retr0 on that one.

Persona 4 is pretty much perfect IMO. It made the small improvements that sometimes stood out in 3. But 3 has a totally unique story too, so definitely worth a playthrough. And as soon as you're finished, there's the joy of realising there's an even better game waiting for you!

Plus Persona 3 has Junpei / Stupei, who's hilarious. Plus a final boss with a quite frankly absurd amount of phases. I've never had a battle as intense as my first hour and a half attempt! (I almost cried when I was killed right at the end)

I didn't have much trouble with the final boss but then I did cheesily beat the reaper and opened Monad which let me level up really quickly. Also did a lot of the subquests for your wan in the velvet room and used a faq for some of the later fusions. I've no shame :P. Have heard horror stories about that boss fight though and how tense and long it is. The ending is so worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Rogue Galaxy was good but just too drawn out for it's own good. It should have been shorter with shorter dungeons.

True, it didn't really have enough hooks like Dark Chronicle to justify it's length.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    That's one game I saw a lot in game shops, always meant to pick up but never did. Cheers, I'll try and get my hands on that too.

You definitely should. Just set aside like half a memory card for it. It has a photo taking feature that takes up a ton of space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I didn't have much trouble with the final boss but then I did cheesily beat the reaper and opened Monad which let me level up really quickly. Also did a lot of the subquests for your wan in the velvet room and used a faq for some of the later fusions. I've no shame :P. Have heard horror stories about that boss fight though and how tense and long it is. The ending is so worth it though.

I didn't fly through the game my any means, did quite a few side quests too. But clearly not enough to easily tackle that dastard. I remember reaching it, checking the time and wondering if I'd give it a go before bed. Think it was like half one, so I said **** it. With the pre-fight cutscenes I think next time I checked the time (after I died) it was something like half three :pac: Got it easily next time though, once I knew what superpowered move I had to look out for. Think I might have done some last minute grinding on the top floors too.

But yes, this is all leading to me re-emphasising that those who haven't played it should most definitely play it. Who'd have thought Japanese school dating sims could be so brilliant?

• Advertisement

Japanese school dating and randomly generated dungeons. It sounds like one of the worst games ever and yet it's on of the best ever made :)

Made myself a bit sick of Valkyria Chronicles 2 so started playing Castlevania Dracula X chronicles. It's a great game but I don't see the point in having the original and SotN as unlockables. I might just stick to playing the original version because the 2D art in that version looks absolutely gorgeous, one of the best looking games ever while the 3D version is very drab and lacking in colour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I've gone and rekindled my obsession with Nethack.
    It's a cruel f*cking game. :mad:

Master of the Universe

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I've gone and rekindled my obsession with Nethack.
    It's a cruel f*cking game. :mad:

Cruel and highly underappreciated. One of the best games ever made. It's insanely detailed.

Have you ever read stories by people who have ascended? Some of them are really epic and worth a read.

I used to have a screensaver for my laptop of an angband bot playing through the game. Never mad it to the top but everyone kept asking what the hell it was and it garnered a lot of attention. Me and my lab mate became quite fascinated whenever the main character started doing well. I really must set it up again.

Master of the Universe

That sounds pretty cool, would love to get a look at it.

I seriously doubt a bot could make a full ascension though. A lot of thought needs to go in to moves and it can take months. Guys get to a point where they've spent weeks on a game and spend a very long time mulling over each and every decision. One wrong move and you're dead. And that's it. No second try - all the way back to the start.

Look at the length of this guide. -

http://homepage.mac.com/mhjohnson/mag-r343.html

You should have a read of this ascension story. It's fantastic -

http://garote.bdmonkeys.net/nethack/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭da gamer

playing vectorman 2 on the mega drive at the moment. decent game, can be quite a challenge at times too

Master of the Universe

I always found the Vectorman games quite hard. Can't get very far in them at all!

I tried playing Deathsmiles this morning with that Hori EX2 I picked up yesterday and jesus christ, that ball top seam was driving me insane! It was like when you put on a pair of socks and there's a seam on the inside annoying you. Just had to stop playing.

Luckily I'd picked up a large lot of arcade parts a few years ago and happened to have some extra proper ball tops lying about.

Switched it out and it instantly feels a million times better. The buttons are going to have to be replaced next, they're not the best at all. Cant see them lasting very long.

Shouldn't have gotten the Hori then, it's a pain to replace buttons with decent ones.

Master of the Universe

It doesn't seem too difficult. From what I've read it's just a matter of desoldering the old buttons from the PCB and soldering on the new ones. I think there might be a bit of fiddling to get the new buttons to fit.

In fact, I probably don't even need to put 6 new buttons in as I'll only be using it for shooters.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Spent this afternoon playing We Love Katamari. And I have to say, the title is right. It's so much fun. Only problem, you don't notice how quickly time flies by while playing it!

Also made a start on Persona 4. Have Persona 3 too, but for some reason the master patch won't work on it. I spent ages trying to fix it but no joy. So I just gave in and started 4 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ust been playing street fighter 2 turbo. Gone are the days when I could pass it without continues.
    All I have to say is, I hated fighting Ryu when was small and I f**kin' hate him more now. I guess I just dont have the skills.

Waiting on Super street fighter 2 in post. Can't remember that but I use to own it. Any good?
    Also is Alpha good? Never heard of that before or if I did I blocked it out because of Ryu being so prominent on the cover.

F**kinG Ryu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I was playing street fighter II special champion edition on the megadrive this morning. Ye Ryu is abit if a f*cker, sometimes I can get him no probs and others I just can't.

Turbo Outrun on my spectrum is my afternoon task. 16 levels on it and last night I got to 12 before storming out of the room! It's slow and I can hardly see the bends on the road:(.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Was playing a spot of Ridge Racer 6 last night and it struck me how little the game has evolved since it's release.
    In a few years we went from Ridge Racer, through Rage Racer to RRtype4, quite an advance while in the last 7 years we have had pretty much the same game, RR6, RR7, RR on the PSP, all basically the same with the only difference being slight alterations to the league system and the track available.
    I wonder if the new Ridge Racer game on the way will up the ante a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

mondeo wrote: »
    Turbo Outrun on my spectrum is my afternoon task. 16 levels on it and last night I got to 12 before storming out of the room! It's slow and I can hardly see the bends on the road:(.

Was too slow for it,look at the first one *tries not to laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    ust been playing street fighter 2 turbo. Gone are the days when I could pass it without continues.
    All I have to say is, I hated fighting Ryu when was small and I f**kin' hate him more now. I guess I just dont have the skills.

Waiting on Super street fighter 2 in post. Can't remember that but I use to own it. Any good?
    Also is Alpha good? Never heard of that before or if I did I blocked it out because of Ryu being so prominent on the cover.

F**kinG Ryu.
    Super street fighter 4 is the best remake ever.Check over on fighting games forum for its fan base and regular tournaments.

If you hate ryu in 2 your not gonna be in a happy place in 4.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Might have something to do with crappy coding from ocean. Surely turbo outrun could have been alot better on the spectrum. C64 version is very good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

street fighter on the speccy is shocking.
    The graphics are actually are marvel though. Unbelievable for their time
    Check out the c64 release,an absolute mess:eek:

• Advertisement

mondeo wrote: »
    Might have something to do with crappy coding from ocean. Surely turbo outrun could have been alot better on the spectrum. C64 version is very good though.

I saw Probe software in the title and instantly knew it was a stinker.

Advertisement