Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,654 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was meant to start Secret of Evermore after finishing Secret of Mana. Even have a new battery in it ready to go. Damn super magic card wiping my Secret of Mana saves turned me of RPGs for a while though!

At the moment I'm spending a lot of time with Ghost Recon on the 3DS. Talk about a sleeper hit, it's great! It's pretty much Advance Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Not a game but i am burning the whole 8 series of the Classic TV program Knightmare onto Dvds

About 3 days solid viewing :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I loved that years ago but i dont know if i could sit through 8 series of it now! Gamesmaster is a different story though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

Playing silent hill just about to enter an abandoned amusement park of all places, playing a little of Pokemon silver on the side.

Master of the Universe

Cots1 wrote: »
    Playing silent hill just about to enter an abandoned amusement park of all places, playing a little of Pokemon silver on the side.

I take it you're using the cuteness of Pokemon to counter the evil scaryness of Silent Hill? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I prefer Evermore to Mana.

Master of the Universe

Have any of you played that fan translation of Secret of Mana which puts a load of the snipped out text back in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You're going to incite a mob!

Not played much of either to have an opinion but the setting of Evermore was far more interesting.

Fair play to ya

I thought both were crap;)

Master of the Universe

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Fair play to ya

I thought both were crap;)

3811055786_b51d292cde.jpg

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    3811055786_b51d292cde.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRK54Yi_YLVO0K6vCkNqd2QL_Z5B-D9ld4dbt8dWKGixU8z6Cnu&t=1

Nah im only messing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

just got my hands on an xperia play.
    So loaded FPse on it and plying ISS Pro Evo 2
    Just about to get Gran Tourismo
    Also playing N64 Mario Kart on the phone, N64roid emulator

Completed Silent hill now playing resident evil code veronica x on the ps2 with a little pokemon silver on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Cots1 wrote: »
    Completed Silent hill now playing resident evil code veronica x on the ps2 with a little pokemon silver on the side
    Which Silent Hill - the first one on ps1?

Playing Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the snes at the moment. The developers were absolute bastards - the amount of traps and tricks in that game is absurd. Excellent fun though :)

Daddio wrote: »
    Which Silent Hill - the first one on ps1?

Playing Super Ghouls and Ghosts on the snes at the moment. The developers were absolute bastards - the amount of traps and tricks in that game is absurd. Excellent fun though :)

Yeah on the ps1 really creepy game, controls were brutal

Master of the Universe

Sweet jesus, the TEST ps2 works, IT WORKS!!!!!!

I am so happy right now.

Patched a Silent Hill 2 image with the master boot patch and burned it to DVD. Started it up - bingo!!!

Seems it just doesnt like reading ps2 games that are burned to cd-r discs like Gradius V.

Now, I'm off to play Silent Hill 2 for the first time and scare the bejasus out of myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Lights off, sound up. It's the only way!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hey, you get the torch yet?
    I swear I nearly soiled myself!

Pyramid Head is all kinds of awesome though.

Speaking of which, they have another Silent Hill movie in production, and I quite enjoyed the first one.
    When people say they thought it was a travesty, I say, think what Uwe Boll would have done and think yourself lucky!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Silent Hill was unique among game films in that it actually felt like Silent Hill.

That the story was a serious load of arse was beside the point. It's a sad state of affairs when we can applaud a film for basically resembling the source material.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hey, you get the torch yet?
    I swear I nearly soiled myself!

Yep, and I let out a nice 'JESUS ****ING CHRIST WHA?! WAHHHH!'

Managed another 5 minutes or so but it all got too much for me. I really don't know how I made it through the first game all those years ago!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Tried another - Twisted Metal Black NTSC (Not that censored PAL ****e) and it works too! :)

Can anyone suggest any obscure ps2 games I probably havent played. Retr0???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gregory Horror Show? Pretty, weird and bastard hard.
    Odin Sphere? Pretty, weird and bastard hard?

And you have given 70 hours of your life to the best videogames of the past decade, Persona 3 and 4, right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just play Persona 3 and 4 and SMT Nocturne then thank me later.

Global Defence Force
    Raw Danger
    SOS Final Escape
    Steambot Chronicles
    RAD Robot Alchemic Drive
    Michigan Report from Hell
    Kuon
    Echo Knight Beyond
    BoF Dragon Quarter
    Forbidden Siren 1 and 2
    Front Mission 5: Scars of War fan translation
    Kim Possible: What's the Switch (it's far better than you think)
    Haunting Ground
    Clock Tower 3
    The Red Star
    Ring of Red
    Shadow of Memories
    Thunderforce 6
    Yakuza 1 and 2

That should keep you lit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The red star is only 75c in CEX. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Master of the Universe

Gregory Horror Show? Pretty, weird and bastard hard.
    Odin Sphere? Pretty, weird and bastard hard?

And you have given 70 hours of your life to the best videogames of the past decade, Persona 3 and 4, right?

I started Odin Sphere, thought it was beautiful, but didn't really get into it. From what I remember, I think I was dying a lot early and didn't have the time to put into it. Probably should revisit that one.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just play Persona 3 and 4 and SMT Nocturne then thank me later.

I had a feeling you two might mention Persona 3 & 4. :D And nope, I haven't played either. I guess they'd make a good start!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Global Defence Force
    Raw Danger
    SOS Final Escape
    Steambot Chronicles
    RAD Robot Alchemic Drive
    Michigan Report from Hell
    Kuon
    Echo Knight Beyond
    BoF Dragon Quarter
    Forbidden Siren 1 and 2
    Front Mission 5: Scars of War fan translation
    Kim Possible: What's the Switch (it's far better than you think)
    Haunting Ground
    Clock Tower 3
    The Red Star
    Ring of Red
    Shadow of Memories
    Thunderforce 6
    Yakuza 1 and 2

That should keep you lit.

For some reason Forbidden Siren reminded me of Rule of Rose, another one to add to that list. Only game of the above I've played is The Red Star. Thanks for that man, I'll look into all of them.

I started Odin Sphere, thought it was beautiful, but didn't really get into it. From what I remember, I think I was dying a lot early and didn't have the time to put into it. Probably should revisit that one.

Yeah, I was the same. The unique delivery is spectacular, but I also got only a few levels in before the difficulty curve become unfairly punishing. Worth a look, but certainly a hard one to get into.
    I had a feeling you two might mention Persona 3 & 4. :D And nope, I haven't played either. I guess they'd make a good start!

If we sound like broken records, apologies, but I can't think of any game that has engrossed me for so long the same way Persona games did. Time management has never been so worryingly compulsive. You'll turn it on, fret about what social link you should pursue on any given day, worry about whether today is special ramen day, or of course take the risk of goin' grindin'.There's nothing like it, and anyone with a passing interest in RPGs should commit the time to 'em!

Started Silent Hill: Shattered Memories last night, remake of sorts of SH1. Playing on PSP - one might complain, but lying in bed with headphones cranked up and lights off gets under the skin. Moderately scary, but the psychological aspects are interesting so far if a little on the nose (example: you're asked to colour in a picture - yup, actually - and the next scene changes the colour of the house depending on your decisions). Curious so far, back to basics, and the removal of combat in favour of tense chase sequences is to be welcomed.

I really can't recommend Persona 3 and 4 highly enough. Far and away the best two RPGs in the last few years.

As for Odin Sphere, the game takes a bit of commitment. The problem with odin sphere is levelling up. After a certain point the food you grow is useless for levelling up. The best thing then to do is find a recipe in the cafe and restaurant that gives tonnes of experience and it easy to get the materials for and then concentrate on farming those items. You'll have to grind a bit to beat the last boss of each chapter and the final bosses but it doesn't take that long. For the first character Gwendolyn the cafe and restaurant open very late making levelling up more annoying. It's definitely doable once you realise this but be warned it's a very long game.

Edit: PAL version is actually the one to go for in this case.

For Siren you will need a faq but it's worth playing through that game. Rule of Rose is a terrible gane to play but if you like a strong abstract story then it will save it because it's a brilliantly written game.

Speaking of Odin Sphere... My current favourite male musician is even more my favourite because he name checks obscure video games at live concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Tried another - Twisted Metal Black NTSC (Not that censored PAL ****e) and it works too! :)

Can anyone suggest any obscure ps2 games I probably havent played. Retr0???

Is Dark Chronicle considered obscure? That's one fantastic game.

• Advertisement

Yeah it got a great critical reception but poor sales. Must play it myself, got it for a fiver in a Gamestop and it's Level 5 which is usually a mark of quality.

Advertisement