Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

o1s1n wrote: »
    Thanks! Any idea of the cost?

€79.99 IIRC,
    The stick was a Hori EX I think, you could try ringing them and see if they still have it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ouch! Was hoping for something about half the price.

Want to give me your one? I promise I'll give it back..... :pac:

No:D
    I only use the standard controller for Death Smiles and I even use the crappy Xbox D-pad when playing (wierd I know).
    I'll be in the square later and I'll have a look around to see if they have any sticks on thier own

Master of the Universe

That would be greatly appreciated! :)

I've been trying to find out what other shooters are available for the PAL 360. Other than Dealthsmiles - None! Wtf? That is sickening.

Plus to add even more agony, the region free Japanese ones cost a fortune :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've been trying to find out what other shooters are available for the PAL 360. Other than Dealthsmiles - None! Wtf? That is sickening.

There are some on Xbox Live, Guwange is on it I think, along with Ikaruga and presumably a couple more...isn't Radiant Silvergun due out too? Also, do we have access to the indie section of xbox live over here?

I did see a HORI EX stick in stephens green gamestop a while back, probably all got snapped up when MvC3 came out. They were 35e for what it's worth though

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

ghostchant wrote: »
    There are some on Xbox Live, Guwange is on it I think, along with Ikaruga and presumably a couple more...isn't Radiant Silvergun due out too? Also, do we have access to the indie section of xbox live over here?

From what I've heard there's a decent selection of Xbox live alright. I'm currently stuck in the dark ages internet wise at home with just one of those crappy USB mobile broadband things..so can't use live until I move to a new place next month.

When I get a decent connection I plan on throwing my no digital downloads rule out the window and going mental.
    ghostchant wrote: »
    I did see a HORI EX stick in stephens green gamestop a while back, probably all got snapped up when MvC3 came out. They were 35e for what it's worth though

That's more like the price I was looking to hear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

From what I've heard there's a decent selection of Xbox live alright. I'm currently stuck in the dark ages internet wise at home with just one of those crappy USB mobile broadband things..so can't use live until I move to a new place next month.

When I get a decent connection I plan on throwing my no digital downloads rule out the window and going mental.

That's more like the price I was looking to hear :)

I love jtags, & region free goodness. Invest man :)

Murishemasha (think thats how it's spelt) is only €30 from amazon and Raiden Fighters is available aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

does anyone have a list of region free shmups for the 360 ?

according to this Espgaluda II is : http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-70-3qws.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's actually quite a few region free shooters on 360. In Cave terms the big two are Mushihime-sama Futari v1.5 and Espgaluda II as mentioned. The former is my favourite. The latter has a cool scoring system but is bastard hard even by Cave standards. They've also recently released a double region free pack of Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets. I think these are two of the weirder Cave games!

You also have Guwange on XBLA, which is worth picking up even if you have the MAME version for a cool dual stick score attack mode. If you wait a little bit Eschatos is also due out on 360, with a port of ye olde Wonderswan game Judgement Silversword included.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just got the achievement for getting 10 billion points in Death Smiles :)

Probably my new favourite game at this point!

Master of the Universe

10 billion? I take it you're either playing 1.1 black label mode or else you're somehow cheating :p

10 billion? I take it you're either playing 1.1 black label mode or else you're somehow cheating :p

Nope, arcade.

shiftyeyes
    1.1 MBL :pac:

cheers for the shortlist of 360 caves shooters. I remember walking along the main streeet in Akihabara, and there was as TV with 360 right out in front of the store, with a shmup on it, played it for a few minutes, twas awesome. Still no idea what it was though :(
    Just got the achievement for getting 10 billion points in Death Smiles :)

Probably my new favourite game at this point!

must add in gamertag to confirm :D

Master of the Universe

Would love to see your 1337 skills first hand sometime johnny_ultimate. Can you play Deathsmiles 2 player over Live? (I'm a bit of an old out of date fart when it comes to online console gaming)

Would love to see your 1337 skills first hand sometime johnny_ultimate. Can you play Deathsmiles 2 player over Live? (I'm a bit of an old out of date fart when it comes to online console gaming)

yup you can play on live - great craic in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

With most of the fighting game crowd distracted with MVC3 (not my kinda fighting game) I've been getting back into my shooters.

Ned to add some peoples gamertags for score comparisons, keep me competitive! My tag is IM BRIANBLESSED (don't ask! :pac: )

Also, on the issue of sticks, being a long time SF player I'm very comfortable on stick but found Deathsmiles a lot more intuitive on pad, I still switch between the two but I don't think investing in a cheap hori stick is necessary.

A seimitsu stick with a short throw is what you really need if you're thinking of going down that route.

ondafly wrote: »
    cheers for the shortlist of 360 caves shooters. I remember walking along the main streeet in Akihabara, and there was as TV with 360 right out in front of the store, with a shmup on it, played it for a few minutes, twas awesome. Still no idea what it was though :(

must add in gamertag to confirm :D

Yeah there's a tonne of great ones that never got a region free release. Walking through game shops in Japan and seeing the likes of DonDonPachi Resurrection and Death Smiles 2 staring at me was depressing :( Have only had a few goes of DS2, but not sure if it's as good as the first. Looks nicer, but maybe too nice.

Trust me, I'm not that good at all. Can only 1CC with Rosa, usually fall at the last hurdle with the others :( Feel free to add though if you're on Live, only time I played online I got stuck with a bomb spammer. Boo!

Definitely getting better at MBL 1.1 though. Had a few stupid early mistakes and have only had a few goes of Ice Palace so far. But that's where your score jumps from good to ****ing crazy. I got there with four lives left, but probably could have pushed further and was knocked out just past the 10 billion mark. Note to self: practice!
    blag wrote: »
    Also, on the issue of sticks, being a long time SF player I'm very comfortable on stick but found Deathsmiles a lot more intuitive on pad, I still switch between the two but I don't think investing in a cheap hori stick is necessary.

A seimitsu stick with a short throw is what you really need if you're thinking of going down that route.

I switch between my Hori and the pad too. Obviously v1.1 demands a second analogue stick so you're pretty much stuck with it. It's still fine, but there's a few twitchy patterns that are super awkward on the pad. There's one or two bits - the horizontal box pattern during the Mary boss battle, for example - which I just find difficult to squeeze through without the benefit of a stick.

O1s1n, I didn't get near the square today cos I was working, I'll try get up to morrow and see if they've got tha arcade sticks there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Eyes are falling out my head playing with the 3DS!
    It does get tiring after a time, Pilotwings is great but way too short, its like they forgot the other half of the game!
    SSF4 is just downright incredible, although the 3D effect is completely superfluous.
    Ridge Racer is a greatest hits collection of all my favourite tracks and so is completely brilliant.
    The AR games is fun, and the Face shooting game made me laugh out loud, awesome!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    I love jtags, & region free goodness. Invest man :)

I would if my Xbox was Jtaggable. It's not though :(

How's the whole modchip thing? Is that possible or do Microsoft ban you from xbox live still?

I just had a go of Pepsiman there. Hilarious stuff. I've never seen such blatant advertising in a game.

However, it was a lot of fun! It's pretty much Mirrors Edge..if you replace the lead character with an odd looking Pepsi super hero and have him running through suburbia with Pepsi ads everywhere.

I would if my Xbox was Jtaggable. It's not though :(

How's the whole modchip thing? Is that possible or do Microsoft ban you from xbox live still?

I just had a go of Pepsiman there. Hilarious stuff. I've never seen such blatant advertising in a game.

However, it was a lot of fun! It's pretty much Mirrors Edge..if you replace the lead character with an odd looking Pepsi super hero and have him running through suburbia with Pepsi ads everywhere.

You should buy one thats jtagged, or at least jtaggable. Once thats done, its very easy to make them region free etc. LIVE use though is a no no, so what most do is use a standard console for live & use the jtag for imports etc.

We've a new thread in console modding where we are allowed to sell modded consoles, keep an eye on it there's already been a jtag sold for good money!

O1s1n, checked for arcade sticks in the Square and they only had ones for PS3 left and they were bundled with MvC3

Master of the Universe

Cheers anyway man! I guess it'll have to be evilbay.

I just had a really horrible experience. I've been playing Secret of Mana for the last couple of weeks. Was right at the end.

Decided to mess about with my Magic drive, so booted up a few games on the Snes from floppy disks.

Went back to play Secret of Mana - Saves had been wiped! :eek:

Turns out those Magic Drives seem to wipe the saves from a cart if they're in it while you're using floppy disks.

All you have to do to avoid this is not to have a cart in the thing while you're using it. Stupid me forgot to take Secret of Mana out.

Absolutely gutted :(

Cheers anyway man! I guess it'll have to be evilbay.

I just had a really horrible experience. I've been playing Secret of Mana for the last couple of weeks. Was right at the end.

Decided to mess about with my Magic drive, so booted up a few games on the Snes from floppy disks.

Went back to play Secret of Mana - Saves had been wiped! :eek:

Turns out those Magic Drives seem to wipe the saves from a cart if they're in it while you're using floppy disks.

All you have to do to avoid this is not to have a cart in the thing while you're using it. Stupid me forgot to take Secret of Mana out.

Absolutely gutted :(

Aw man thats horrific! Is there anyway you can get a savestate from an emu ont one of those floppies, & continue using that (I know the collected items etc will be different, but it'd save you replaying the game). Even continue the game on floppy?

Master of the Universe

Tell me about it, it took a lot of effort to keep my cool and not throw that Magic Drive across the room :D

Good idea re savestates. Never thought of that. Should be as simple as getting one online, sticking it on the floppy and booting up the game. It's horrible losing all the money and equipment, but at this point I'd love to just see the end of the game.

By the way, it looks absolutely mind blowing on that Trinitron. Everything does. My girlfriend and my mate were amazed away at the clarity too. Couldn't believe how well Dreamcast games looked on it via RGB.

Best CRT TV I've ever seen. The picture quality is beyond perfect. It's so clear you could count the pixels one by one. In 4:3 it looks like one of those flat candy CRT monitors.

I was a bit worried about the size (It's like it grew by about 3 feet when I got it into the house!) but after seeing what it does, it could be twice the size and I'd still keep it. Amazing piece of kit.

Interesting thing to note - it also suffers from that RGB issue that my other CRT had. There's a thin black bar down the side. It's not pincushioning though, just a straight line. I got into the service menu but it didn't really make any sense to me. Didn't touch anything for fear of breaking the tv.

Tell me about it, it took a lot of effort to keep my cool and not throw that Magic Drive across the room :D

Good idea re savestates. Never thought of that. Should be as simple as getting one online, sticking it on the floppy and booting up the game. It's horrible losing all the money and equipment, but at this point I'd love to just see the end of the game.

By the way, it looks absolutely mind blowing on that Trinitron. Everything does. My girlfriend and my mate were amazed away at the clarity too. Couldn't believe how well Dreamcast games looked on it via RGB.

Best CRT TV I've ever seen. The picture quality is beyond perfect. It's so clear you could count the pixels one by one. In 4:3 it looks like one of those flat candy CRT monitors.

I was a bit worried about the size (It's like it grew by about 3 feet when I got it into the house!) but after seeing what it does, it could be twice the size and I'd still keep it. Amazing piece of kit.

Interesting thing to note - it also suffers from that RGB issue that my other CRT had. There's a black line down the size. It's not pincushioning though, just a straight line. I got into the service menu but it didn't really make any sense to me. Didn't touch anything for fear of breaking the tv.

Ugh is it that good? As I said I never (luckily) put a console through it so don't know what I'm missing!

Same issue as your Mitsubishi? Could this be a scart/console issue at all man? Very unusual that two different tv's exhibit the same problem like that, & the pincusioning is perfect on it so its def a weird one! Is it like the picture is offset too far one side or something?

Master of the Universe

In that other thread where I was asking about this issue, I was told that it's actually a pretty standard problem with CRTs and RGB.

Apparantly standard TV and RGB signals are off from each other a bit. If the TV is setup in service mode or whatever for standard TV signals, then the RGB image will be a few pixels too far to the left. (so you'll have a thin black bar down the right and miss some of the left of the screen)

If it's set up for RGB then standard TV signals will have the issue. So it would just be a matter of configuring it for RGB in the service menu.

However the menu is scary, it's just a load of gibberish. So I'd really need to investigate that before touching anything.

And as for the quality..lets just say that if you had seen a console running on it there's no way in hell it would be in my apartment! When I first turned it on my jaw hit the floor.

When I first turned it on my jaw hit the floor.

:(

• Advertisement

What did you think of the weight of it man? :D

Advertisement