Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They are seriously heavy tellys.
    I may have to leave some money in my will for mine to get moved out of my attic room because I am never going to try to move that mother again!
    Not to mention the fact that the more you move them the more chance there is that its going to get a knock and break down, there's no real replacing these tvs once they're gone.
    Most CRTs are in skips and heaven knows how many Sony 29" Trinnys are left in the wild now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had an absolutely gorgeous Philips 32 inch widescreen CRT. Games in RGB just looked stunning on it. Unfrotunately when the parents decided to extend the kitchen at the expense of the room I had my games in and it nearly killed me and my dad getting it up the stairs to my room. I wanted to keep it but my mother wouldn't be moved and it ended up being given away. Had to buy myself an LCD. The LCD is grand but the blacks are bad, the colours just look washed out and even if it's much sharper than the CRT (you can count the pixels) there's something about the way CRTs naturally anti alias the pixels that makes it look so much nicer. It's actually a really good LG TV but it's still not a patch on a CRT. It's a shame they are popular now.

TheShrine.jpg

You will be missed.

Hmm... Parents are away on Wednesday. Must bring some consoles downstairs for RGB on CRT goodness.

Saw an LG Plasma going for 500 stingers in Tescos Limerick last week. If I had had a job I would have snapped it up. I've seen a few budget plasmas a few years ago and even the budget models are a massive step up from even the best LCDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Saw an LG Plasma going for 500 stingers in Tescos Limerick last week. If I had had a job I would have snapped it up. I've seen a few budget plasmas a few years ago and even the budget models are a massive step up from even the best LCDs.

Yep I'm a huge Plasma fan, the colour intensity, contrast & refresh rate has just blasted anything I've seen on lcd. However, I recently bought a Samsung LE32C530 for the attic. Best <42" tv I've ever seen (ex CRT), check out the reviews. Lcd has taken a massive leap in recent times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've no where to put them is the problem! I'd have to move out first and have a dedicated room. My collection is an absolute mess at the moment with about 80% of it up in the attic and my tiny bedroom full of games and a great big box of consoles. I have to take a console out and leave it on the floor when I want to use it since there's so little room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    What did you think of the weight of it man? :D

It's comically heavy so it is. I still haven't a clue how you got that down out of an attic on your own. That's Darwin award stuff! :D

I put it on the bed just to set it down for a moment and because it's so front heavy it just flopped foreward onto the screen.

It's currently sitting on a little locker that's a bit smaller than the base of the tv(the same one my old TV was on)

Before we put it down, we had to make sure the reinforced bit at the front of the tv was on the locker. If you didn't do that and maybe centered it more, it would literally break under its own weight as the plastic in the middle of the way is way too thin to support it.

Really not looking forward to moving it again! Taking the back off was a stroke of genius. Although I forgot to tell my mate about the anode cup until AFTER we'd moved it. Woops :eek:

'See that little suction cup beside your hand Niall?'

'Yep?'

'I'm really glad you didn't touch that while we were moving this, as it may have killed you'

:eek:

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's comically heavy so it is. I still haven't a clue how you got that down out of an attic on your own. That's Darwin award stuff! :D

I put it on the bed just to set it down for a moment and because it's so front heavy it just flopped foreward onto the screen.

It's currently sitting on a little locker that's a bit smaller than the base of the tv(the same one my old TV was on)

Before we put it down, we had to make sure the reinforced bit at the front of the tv was on the locker. If you didn't do that and maybe centered it more, it would literally break under its own weight as the plastic in the middle of the way is way too thin to support it.

Really not looking forward to moving it again! Taking the back off was a stroke of genius. Although I forgot to tell my mate about the anode cup until AFTER we'd moved it. Woops :eek:

'See that little suction cup beside your hand Niall?'

'Yep?'

'I'm really glad you didn't touch that while we were moving this, as it may have killed you'

:eek:

Is that the small plastic tray under the chassis? Yeah its not load bearing at all, tbh I don't know how that tv stays together under its own weight. Seriously, it's biblically heavy for a tv.

See the two white screen straps that I was lifting it with the other day? Well to get it outta the attic, I had to run a rope through those several times & locked it up with a Bear Grylls type survival knot. Then it was a matter of lifting it 2 inches off the ground, taking the weight with one arm & making my way slowly down the ladder. I was literally gimped, by the time I got to the bottom. By the time it was going, that TV felt like a curse. All I seemed to do with it was lift it around various places & never actually got to use the damned thing!

With the back on it, it's a two man job...without it, it's doable, just. After lifting it down getting the 21" up there was like lifting up a sponge cake :D

Suction cups instill fear into those who know what lurks beneath them :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

LCD really does suck, but the modern LED lit LCDs are pretty good.
    Plasmas are fantastic but the best display I have seen is the OLED, so far only on smaller devices, like the GBA Micro and kitchen sized tvs but they are going to be scaled up, lovely jubbly!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    LCD really does suck, but the modern LED lit LCDs are pretty good.
    Plasmas are fantastic but the best display I have seen is the OLED, so far only on smaller devices, like the GBA Micro and kitchen sized tvs but they are going to be scaled up, lovely jubbly!

My lcd isn't led lit & has to be seen to be appreciated. I bought it based on the reviews it got for blacks, motion blur, colour intensity/richness & gaming....it was a bit more than I'd like to spend but it was worth it.

The blacks are not a million miles off my Plasma...and thats a Pioneer! Tbh honest though if I was going bigger than 32", I'd go Plasma every single time. A high quality plasma is untouchable really.

Played Tempest 3000 on my brothers Plasma and was blown away, my eyes bleeding with colour overload.
    At home, on the LCD, still great but not as great.
    I probably should never have played it on the Plasma.
    Once you have seen paradise its hard to accept anything else.

I seem to remember there being a period when you could get HD crt screens in Japan, how cool would that be!

• Advertisement

There's definitely HD CRTs out there. The problem is when they were made they were stupidly made to be thin like an LCD which resulted in the tubes being a weird shape and there being distortion on the edge of the screen. They were available in America. Not sure they made it here.

No, I think the only time I saw one in the media was when they were demoing Bomberman on the Saturn with that multiplayer mode!

Hmm... Saturn does have a high res mode but it's the same one used in Virtua Fighter 2 and it is a little over 480P at 708x480 but still capable of display on a SD TV with RGB.

I have heard that RGB is well capable of carrying a HD signal and was reading on another forum how a guy there was setting up banks of high res TVs his company hired for an event and set the whole thing up with RGB. Companies just went with the cheaper component and better quality HDMI for HD. Also think the HD modes of RGB are weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Hmm... Saturn does have a high res mode but it's the same one used in Virtua Fighter 2 and it is a little over 480P at 708x480 but still capable of display on a SD TV with RGB.

I have heard that RGB is well capable of carrying a HD signal and was reading on another forum how a guy there was setting up banks of high res TVs his company hired for an event and set the whole thing up with RGB. Companies just went with the cheaper component and better quality HDMI for HD. Also think the HD modes of RGB are weird.

http://reviews.cnet.com/direct-view-tvs-crt/sony-kv-30hs420/4652-6481_7-30895537.html

Here's a list of sony crt-hdtv offerings on cnet.

pricing seems to be about the same as lcd but I guess running and shipping costs would significantly add to the cost.

Interesting though.

On a side note I'm playing castlevania 1 (nes emulator). Can't get past stage 15 with the grim reaper.

It's driving me nuts!!!

Grim Reaper is a whore, it's going to take a lot of dedication to get past him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I only ever have one hit left when I get past all the axe-knights and Medusa-heads.

then the Bastard just insta-kills me with those projectile thingies the second he appears on screen. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Playing the Dizzy games on a c64 emulator for the DS

Great emu it even emulates the loading times:D

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Playing the Dizzy games on a c64 emulator for the DS

Great emu it even emulates the loading times:(

Fixed it for ya!

Ah now they weren't that bad. You could go off, boil the kettle and get a nice cup of tea in while you get hypnotised by the flashing bars of colour. Then after a further 20 minutes you'll realise that the game isn't loading and has locked up up so you'll try again. Then 20 minutes later the game will load but will have loaded incorrectly and be full of glitches so you try again.... Ok maybe that part of retro gaming isn't so good.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Fixed it for ya!

lol

Its not too bad once its loaded up for the first time as ill i have to do is save a snapshot so next time is instant:D

• Advertisement

Ah now they weren't that bad. You could go off, boil the kettle and get a nice cup of tea in while you get hypnotised by the flashing bars of colour. Then after a further 20 minutes you'll realise that the game isn't loading and has locked up up so you'll try again. Then 20 minutes later the game will load but will have loaded incorrectly and be full of glitches so you try again.... Ok maybe that part of retro gaming isn't so good.

Ah memories of the Spectrum

Make sure the volume is fully up :D

I spent 3 years loving the spectrum, and those loading screens.
    Some were pretty standard, but others put some real effort into them, Starstrike 3D I seem to remember was good, and Technician Ted, its animated loading screen was probably the best thing about the game!
    I mean, to get a speccy to have an animated loading screen, that needs some serious coding, the guy/gal who did it is probably working on sub level 10 in some military bunker somewhere working on software for UAVs.... (bet they have animated loading screens though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Currently taking a break from LttP with some Super Mario World, both on GBA. Couldn't say how many hours I put into SMW as a kid but its been a very, very long time since I spent any time with it. I keep ending up at the secret exits by default, its like finger memory just brings me there.

I'm with you there, I keep popping open the secret exit from the first Ghost House in order to keep my lives and 'shrooms in infinite supply! I don't even think now, just do it.
    It's a challenge, in those stages, to remember to finish them normally!

I must go back and play it from the start, it's been so long and always just picking up at a random save point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Currently wasting my hours playing my beloved childhood favourite, Iron Horse.

The game holds fond memories for me, it's an absolute all-time classic. I just wish it wasn't so bloody hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Currently taking a break from LttP with some Super Mario World, both on GBA. Couldn't say how many hours I put into SMW as a kid but its been a very, very long time since I spent any time with it. I keep ending up at the secret exits by default, its like finger memory just brings me there.

Arrrrggggghhhh my SuperMario World cart is broken, I love that game and haven't played it in ages because of the cart, have the rom but it doesn't seem right playing it unless it's on original hadrware / software

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

pdbhp wrote: »
    Arrrrggggghhhh my SuperMario World cart is broken, I love that game and haven't played it in ages because of the cart, have the rom but it doesn't seem right playing it unless it's on original hadrware / software

What's up with your Super Marioworld cart? I take it you've tried cleaning it and all the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

o1s1n wrote: »
    What's up with your Super Marioworld cart? I take it you've tried cleaning it and all the rest?

It starts perfectly but when it starts and Mario walks across half the screen to the start of the game he doesn't stop, he just keeps going all the way off the other side then the death noise starts, kinda like a really loud dial up connection.
    I think my little son pulled the cart out when it was saving or something:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just threw on some medievil 2, playing ps1 games on ps3 is great, Sony are abolsutly insane to not make that machine backwards compatable with ps2 games

• Advertisement

Playing Painkiller on the Xbox after watching the ZeroPunctuation review of BulletStorm, and its fun so far!

Advertisement