Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

EnterNow wrote: »
    Majoras's Mask?

Nope completed Majoras Mask just have to beat The Minish Cap

I Never bought a GBA So thats why its the last 1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zelda 2 as well? Because that game is a whore for difficulty!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Zelda 2 as well? Because that game is a whore for difficulty!

I nearly gave up on that one

Not one of the best Zeldas tbh

A link to the past is imo the best of the lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sparks43 wrote: »
    A link to the past is simply the best of the lot

Sorted that one for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Will I dare start an 'Ocarina of Time vs A Link to the Past' argument by mentioning that I prefer OoT?

Nah I probably shouldn't! (But let my opinion be noted :P )

• Advertisement

ghostchant wrote: »
    Will I dare start an 'Ocarina of Time vs A Link to the Past' argument by mentioning that I prefer OoT?

Well i will counter that by saying that Majoras Mask is a better game imo then Ocarina Of Time

My Preferances in order

1 A Link to the past
    2 Majoras Mask
    3 Ocarina Of Time
    4 Twilight Princess
    5 Wind Waker
    =6 Oracle of Ages/Seasons
    =8 Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass
    10 Links Awakening
    11 The Legend of Zelda
    12 The Adventures of Link

Dont Know where i will be putting The Minish Cap until i complete it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah another person that prefers Majoras Mask to OoT. Majoras Mask is difficult to get into but when the game clicks with you you love it! And then there's the great ending. I love OoT but Majoras takes what OoT did and builds something different from anything else on it.

Was not impressed at all by Phantom Hourglass. Yet to play Spirit Tracks. There was just something off about it and it just felt by the numbers and cynical. The control scheme with the stylus worked but it still wasn't a patch on d-pad controls. Giving me a hand cramp didn't do it any favours either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

ghostchant wrote: »

don't even go there;) you know it will end in tears:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Who gives a monkeys which one we each think is the best, they're all great games worthy of our time! :pac:

(When I say all I meant the ones mentioned by Sparks, not those CD-I abominations.)

Ah another person that prefers Majoras Mask to OoT. Majoras Mask is difficult to get into but when the game clicks with you you love it! And then there's the great ending. I love OoT but Majoras takes what OoT did and builds something different from anything else on it.

Was not impressed at all by Phantom Hourglass. Yet to play Spirit Tracks. There was just something off about it and it just felt by the numbers and cynical. The control scheme with the stylus worked but it still wasn't a patch on d-pad controls. Giving me a hand cramp didn't do it any favours either.

Majoras Mask was a work of Genius. Very Tough but a game that will get your Brain thinking

If you didnt like Phantom Hourglass then Spirit tracks is more of the same

I Enjoyed both But i wont be rushing back to complete them again

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Who gives a monkeys which one we each think is the best, they're all great games worthy of our time! :pac:

(When I say all I meant the ones mentioned by Sparks, not those CD-I abominations.)

I said earlier on in this thread

THEY DO NOT EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I said earlier on in this thread

THEY DO NOT EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus my eyes! :D

Has anyone actually tried the CD-I zelda games because apparently they are decent enough and not as bad as the AVGN wannabes make them out to be.

Has anyone actually tried the CD-I zelda games because apparently they are decent enough and not as bad as the AVGN wannabes make them out to be.

You are joking right

Watching through all that makes me sick

Have a read of this:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/zeldacdi/zeldacdi.htm

Tells you all about the games in far more detail from some one that actually played them, has a developer interview and tells you that the awful quality of the FMV wasn't the game developers fault but the fault of the publisher shelling out on budget russian artists to do them.

Have a read of this:

Tells you all about the games in far more detail from some one that actually played them, has a developer interview and tells you that the awful quality of the FMV wasn't the game developers fault but the fault of the publisher shelling out on budget russian artists to do them.

Uuh Ohhh...someone is jealous of James Rolfe....:D

Actually, he'd be the first to tell you that AVGN is just a character, its normally not a literal review.

Have a read of this:

Good read but i still wont be shelling out the guts of €700 to by a cdi and the 3 games

Might see if i can get a pc emulator though

Good read but i still wont be shelling out the guts of €700 to by a cdi and the 3 games

Might see if i can get a pc emulator though

Agreed, the system is as bad as the Virtual Boy for software. The Zelda titles on it look horrific too.

Uuh Ohhh...someone is jealous of James Rolfe....:D

Actually, he'd be the first to tell you that AVGN is just a character, its normally not a literal review.

Oh I know, I love AVGN as well and sure she says some of the games like Simon's Quest that he takes the piss out of are some of his favourite ever.

It just seems that there's a lot of hate about these two games just because of the oddball nature of them. This is the only article I've read where the writer has actually played the games for more than 5 minutes. If you look at people playing the game on youtube taking the piss out of it the people playing it haven't got the instruction manual. They don't play the game for more than 5 minutes and don't understand how the game actually works or especially how the blocking system works which makes the gmae much more manageable. I'm going to try these games soon and see if he is right and I have a feeling he is.

It's a bit like people jumping down my throat about Goldeneye when I say it's not very good now. Go play it now without any prejudice and tell me it's still a good game. In a similar way people are playing the CD-I zelda games with the prejudice that it's really bad and not even giving it any time. Retrogamer have also said in their CD-I article that you should ignore the terrible cinemas and the negative image the game has because it's actually really good.

As quoted at the start of the article:

"People would rather be wrong than be different."

CD-i emulation is meant to be a bit of a bitch to get working. It's pretty much the zelda games you'll be using it for since there's really nothing else worth playing on it.
    Agreed, the system is as bad as the Virtual Boy for software. The Zelda titles on it look horrific too.

Really? Think the hand drawn backgrounds look amazing and some of the sprite work is excellent and back when this came out there was nothing really close to that other than on the Neo Geo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

It's a bit like people jumping down my throat about Goldeneye when I say it's not very good now. Go play it now without any prejudice and tell me it's still a good game. In a similar way people are playing the CD-I zelda games with the prejudice that it's really bad and not even giving it any time. Retrogamer have also said in their CD-I article that you should ignore the terrible cinemas and the negative image the game has because it's actually really good.

I think the popular opinion on this forum is that Goldeneye hasn't aged well. The same opinion seems to be shared by the likes of GamesTM, Retrogamer, Edge and presumably other publications. So I'm arguably being different by saying I still enjoy it. :)

Playing it last year, I had more fun running around the facility level shooting soldiers hats off than I did playing any part of Modern Warfare 2, regardless of which is 'technically better'.

Anyway, I definitely don't want to send things down this particular alley again. It's just that a 'good game' for one person is a 'load of sh*te' to the next person, and vice-versa.

Oh I know, I love AVGN as well and sure she says some of the games like Simon's Quest that he takes the piss out of are some of his favourite ever.

It just seems that there's a lot of hate about these two games just because of the oddball nature of them. This is the only article I've read where the writer has actually played the games for more than 5 minutes. If you look at people playing the game on youtube taking the piss out of it the people playing it haven't got the instruction manual. They don't play the game for more than 5 minutes and don't understand how the game actually works or especially how the blocking system works which makes the gmae much more manageable. I'm going to try these games soon and see if he is right and I have a feeling he is.

The difference between Zelda on the CDi & Goldeneye64...is that Zelda on the CDi was never good. Playing it for more than five mins is prob a lot harder than it sounds, not exactly a good start. The American accent from Link will ensure I never grace the story, as I've a big hatred of Americanised sh1te.

CD-i emulation is meant to be a bit of a bitch to get working. It's pretty much the zelda games you'll be using it for since there's really nothing else worth playing on it.

Really? Think the hand drawn backgrounds look amazing and some of the sprite work is excellent and back when this came out there was nothing really close to that other than on the Neo Geo.

Just downloaded the emulator and im Not Repeat Not;) Downloading The wand of gamelon

i will let you know when i fail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,436 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Had a quick bash of LSD-Dream Emulator a minute ago on my ps1.

WTF :eek:

Quite possibly the weirdest game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Not retro but super street fighter 4 :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have it and since I bought it I have used it twice, and the latter to check if the wireless Hori Tekken stick works well with it.
    It does.
    Thats that.

Looking at it for the 3DS but truth is it'll get no play, regardless of how great it looks.

The difference between Zelda on the CDi & Goldeneye64...is that Zelda on the CDi was never good. Playing it for more than five mins is prob a lot harder than it sounds, not exactly a good start. The American accent from Link will ensure I never grace the story, as I've a big hatred of Americanised sh1te.

You played it? What emulator are you using? Want to give it a bash myself, maybe at the weekend.

I am having no joy with this at all

rom is a .bin file which should be recognized by the emu

getting frustrated

You played it? What emulator are you using? Want to give it a bash myself, maybe at the weekend.

Havn't played it, seen it on videos etc...it looks appaling (& I mute over the top american 'reviews' sometimes, so its my own opinion)

Give me LttP or OoT any day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Ah yes the cdi,reasons to buy to play video cds on *dont think anyone had one since uk/ire where tape mad*,one of the famous unreleases was this,it can be found on a search-

you probably need to convert the bin file to iso.

Advertisement