Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I really wanted to try CyanogenMod's ROM, but the only thing putting me off is lack of HTC Sync (I have my contacts in Outlook, and would need HTC Sync to be able to sync them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Yeah. I don't use htc sync - all my contacts are on Google so syncing them wasn't a prop. The Villian mod will have senseUI on it so may also support htc sync.
    Mr E wrote: »
    I really wanted to try CyanogenMod's ROM, but the only thing putting me off is lack of HTC Sync (I have my contacts in Outlook, and would need HTC Sync to be able to sync them)

I should just work on getting my contacts into Google actually.... it'd be nice to be able to sync OTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I changed all my contacts to google as well as running my pop 3 mail and outlook calender through gmail/gcal and its great if your messing around different roms. Just start sync on setup and don't need to worry about mail calender sync or contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Quick question guys.

I'm going away this weekend and I am worried about roaming charges. Is the use phone network for data switch reliable enough that once I have that off I won't get any charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Yep its reliable for sure. I went abroad and didnt get charged a thing! In fact I grabbed a cheap pre-pay sim while I was away, added it to Wave Secure and used it for data apps like Google Maps etc :)

Have fun on your trip wherever you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Anyone know what version of Android is currently on the Hero in Meteor shops? Is it still 1.6?

Nope, its 1.5.

2.1 is due in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Nope, its 1.5.

2.1 is due in March.
    Yeah I read that but I was thinking of picking one up tomorrow. 1.5 is a drag. Is there a official 2.0 update? Or will I have to flash it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ornir

Does anybody know if the Hero is in stock on Meteor prepay again? Has anyone bought one since the new suppliers have come in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

There's nothing official beyond 1.5. There are community 2.1 builds but none of these have a (good) working Sense UI implimentation. I am using a generic 2.1 build and it works pretty good and my guess is that we will have to wait for the official htc 2.1 release to allow community builds to get a better rom out.

squire23 wrote: »
    Yeah I read that but I was thinking of picking one up tomorrow. 1.5 is a drag. Is there a official 2.0 update? Or will I have to flash it?

I installed the latest Villain ROM (3.0 B3). Nice to get a taste of 2.1, but too many FCs for my liking. I restored my old backup....

I think I'll stick with Modaco for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I installed the latest Villain ROM (3.0 B3). Nice to get a taste of 2.1, but too many FCs for my liking. I restored my old backup....

I think I'll stick with Modaco for the time being.

Using 2.0 Villain for a good while now but just joined the Wave 4 beta. I'd say 3.0 Stable will be good though not with many of the HTC apps. No big deal as there's replacements for most of them anyway. Nice to have alternatives until the official 2.1 is released, which will be out sometime in :pac:...........

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622468

16/02/10 - Beta Wave 4 Released for Donators only.
    19/02/10 - Beta Wave 4 Released Openly
    19/02/10 - Day off work... so, at least 8 hours developing...
    20/02/10 - Villain 3.0 Stable Release (if all goes well!)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

on meteor, since around 1pm today my phone aint connecting to the internet over the airwaves, anybody else expierencing this? tried turning the phone off and on to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

flugel wrote: »
    on meteor, since around 1pm today my phone aint connecting to the internet over the airwaves, anybody else expierencing this? tried turning the phone off and on to no avail.
    erm, im having similar trouble. its been like that for about 2 days though

Yes, me too. It is the same for 2G and 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

i just stuck a post up on meteors forum..... stick a message or two up there for them?
    http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=508

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055830051

Not an issue unique to the Hero or even Android (Jonathan has the some problem on his Nokia E52).

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

rang meteor and all they can say is they are having issues with the data services and there is no time they can give at the moment for it being fixed but they're working on it. so no real info there alas

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

i presumed the fault was at meteors end and so it proves, again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

how can u tell if you are currently on a 3g connection or 2g with meteor on the hero

it only shows a signal bar on the main screen, dosent say if its 3g or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

maybe they're doing some big changes to get rid of the "hero" problems :P

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

I had this problem today as well and I've just deleted and restored my APN settings and it seems to have solved the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I thought I had borked my Hero yesterday, I was messing with settings yesterday morning, the was out of meteor coverage for a bit so no data connection.

When I got meteor back, still no data connection. I spent bleeding ages checking all my settings, buy nothing.

Then around 10ish got a data connection back, but no download, only info going up. It's fine this morning. It had a bit of a wobble there when I tried the 3g connection, lost the downstream again.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I have a Hero on a Meteor contract, just wondering what programs others are using to send international texts on the hero !?

Vodafone and O2 allow that through their webtexts so the JellySMS program would be perfect...........

I've just installed WebSMS 3 from the market with the Fishtext connector add-on, it seems to work fine and, texts costing just 2c, much cheaper than the 15c meteor charge........

Just wondering are there any other apps out there......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Delboy5 wrote: »
    I have a Hero on a Meteor contract, just wondering what programs others are using to send international texts on the hero !?

Vodafone and O2 allow that through their webtexts so the JellySMS program would be perfect...........

I've just installed WebSMS 3 from the market with the Fishtext connector add-on, it seems to work fine and, texts costing just 2c, much cheaper than the 15c meteor charge........

Just wondering are there any other apps out there......
    JellySMS for Android is currently in private beta testing; it'll be released to the public fairly shortly I'd imagine. In the meantime you could try the web version of Cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I got a Nokia 5800 with my last upgrade from Meteor. It seems I'm eligable for a new upgrade so the Hero is available for a price of €79.99. Thing is while I'm sure I'd really enjoy it, I'm quite happy with the 5800. I could go for a Nokia 6700 for free, which is always a good price.

So folks, would you advise me to take the Hero? Will I be blown away coming from the 5800, is it worth the upgrade baring in mind I'm relatively happy with the 5800. If I were to go the Hero route I'd take the 250MB data add-on, would that be enough to enjoy its features?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

I got a Nokia 5800 with my last upgrade from Meteor. It seems I'm eligable for a new upgrade so the Hero is available for a price of €79.99. Thing is while I'm sure I'd really enjoy it, I'm quite happy with the 5800. I could go for a Nokia 6700 for free, which is always a good price.

So folks, would you advise me to take the Hero? Will I be blown away coming from the 5800, is it worth the upgrade baring in mind I'm relatively happy with the 5800. If I were to go the Hero route I'd take the 250MB data add-on, would that be enough to enjoy its features?

to me, there is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

nmesisca wrote: »
    to me, there is no comparison.

Oh I'm not comparing the two at all. I know the Hero is far ahead of the 5800. I'm simply being awkward in that I'm fairly happy with the 5800 and don't see a need/reason to upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

If you're happy with the 5800, then you are probably as well to hang on for the successor to the Hero, the Legend, which is set to be launched on April 12th, although no info on when/whether Meteor will have it.

http://gizmodo.com/5474479/htc-legend-desire-and-hd-mini-uk-pricing-and-availability?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29&utm_content=Google+International

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement