Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

after seeing all these tips etc i cannot wait to get mine!

i ordered off expansys, but my order tracking says "awaiting stock" - however, when i call them they tell me they have 140+ in stock!!

Has anyone had issues with them in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

MrMan wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat and from my understanding it also means we won't be able to upgrade to Android 2.0 when it is available. Think I will be delaying my purchase until I do some more research.

Would parallels for Mac do it?

Guys a few minutes with an XP box will do you although I do salute your non windowsness :cool: Once you have a recovery image installed on the phone which takes 5 minutes you have no need to use any pc. All roms can then be installed from the phone itself. As far as I am aware there is a linux sdk kit but not sure how that would bhave on a mac. Parallels may work though I'm not sure how it handles usb emulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

When I turn on my new Hero it takes a second or two to realise theres a SIM in it, displaying a No SIM message - then asking me for the PIN. IS this normal or a fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

rizzee wrote: »
    O.T but how much is the H1?

€99 on middle contracts(30-50 euro)
    So maybe 129 for 20 euro ones

18 month contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Compudaro wrote: »
    When I turn on my new Hero it takes a second or two to realise theres a SIM in it, displaying a No SIM message - then asking me for the PIN. IS this normal or a fault?

Mine does that too. No major problem I'd imagine, just starting up.

More annoying on mine at least is the fact that a few pixels are out on the screen:mad:

Can only really see it on start up but still way more out than on my old N95

• Advertisement

Thanks EPM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Dingatron wrote: »

By the way, once you have got the patched recovery console working, dont forget to wipe the device before you start the Modaco step....had my device booting in loops cause I forgot to do it! A simple roll back to the backup, wipe and re-do fixed it! yaaaaay:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Is it worth going to the Modaco rom? Bear in mind, I'm going to be using this primarily for web, texts and calls with some apps. No deving or really messing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

chrislad wrote: »
    Is it worth going to the Modaco rom? Bear in mind, I'm going to be using this primarily for web, texts and calls with some apps. No deving or really messing around.

Hey Chris. Good question.

I went the Modaco ROM route based on performance issues. I too don't develop, and spend most of my time on Gmail, Meebo (IM), Web, Youtube etc. I found that the phone became sluggish when I was listening to music and surfing the web for instance.

The Modaco ROM certainly helps with this, and things seem to be running ALOT smoother and the phone in general is more responsive.

If you find things start to slow down, then think about going the Modaco route. I'm not regretting it one bit! Plus you can always go back if you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DeiseBoy

Bought a HTC Hero on Meteor Postpay on Sunday. Liking it a lot. Surprised when I tested it with prepay SIM's from 3 IE and O2 IE that they worked without the device being unlocked. I assumed the Hero's would have been locked to Meteor's network.

Is that normal for Meteor billpay as it is my first Meteor billpay device?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hmm thats strange, i've only heard of O2 having their Bill Phones unlocked. Maybe the Hero is different?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

No when i got my N95 from Meteor it was unlocked. came in a nokia box without any meteor branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

No way.. I've only had about 4 Meteor bill pay upgrades and all of them were locked. Handy if your selling the phone on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

DeiseBoy wrote: »
    Is that normal for Meteor billpay as it is my first Meteor billpay device?
    I think that sometimes when you pick up a new model as soon as it hits the stores they're unlocked as the carrier haven't had a chance to fυck with them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tilly_1990

Is it worth getting a hero? I've currently got an SE C905 but it's broken twice in less than a year which isn't good enough for such an expensive phone. So would any of you reccomend the hero? Just two questions though, 1) what's camera quality like? 2) are the speakers on the phone loud as they look quite small on pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭paddy2k

For those of you who have gotten their Hero's already I added some layers to Layar clicking these links will open them in Layar from the Android browser, Dublin Bikes and Dublin Bus stops

Otherwise you can search for them when Layar is open.

They have a new version coming soon where 3D animations will be overlayed with reality, looks awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

So you can't send files via bluetooth? That's a bit silly, I love being able to send pictures from my current phone to my laptop and songs vice-versa via bluetooth without having to find the cable that I left somewhere in my room (I think). Why would they take out such a simple feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So you can't send files via bluetooth? That's a bit silly, I love being able to send pictures from my current phone to my laptop and songs vice-versa via bluetooth without having to find the cable that I left somewhere in my room (I think). Why would they take out such a simpl feature?

I saw a video demo of the bluetooth features on android 2.0 and it far surpasses sending files.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I saw a video demo of the bluetooth features on android 2.0 and it far surpasses sending files.

I don't want it to surpass sending files though, I'd just like to be able to send files to and from my laptop wirelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

has anyone dropped their hero yet? :eek:
    I don't want it to surpass sending files though, I'd just like to be able to send files to and from my laptop wirelessly.

linky object push will be supported so if i understand correctly it'll be happy days for those of us who enjoy sending files via bluetooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Any update on PAYG availability yet? think someone mentioned Thursday?

Just noticed I may have 3 dead pixels on my 2 day old Hero. When I start it up, I can see 3 tiny bright spots (in fairness, very hard to see, but they're there!) while the screen is black.

When I bought it, The girl in the shop told me I have 20 days to return it if I find any problems. Should I live with these or bring it back? Anyone else got the bright spots?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Just noticed I may have 3 dead pixels on my 2 day old Hero. When I start it up, I can see 3 tiny bright spots (in fairness, very hard to see, but they're there!) while the screen is black.

When I bought it, The girl in the shop told me I have 20 days to return it if I find any problems. Should I live with these or bring it back? Anyone else got the bright spots?

Thanks in advance

These arn't dead pixels, they are hot pixels, try gently massaging that area of the screen with ur finger , put a little pressure but not too much, also try tapping on top of the pixels fairly hard and repeatedly .. If it doest work sure ye mite as well return it, of it bothers u..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Anyone happen to have this phone and the THB Bury CC 9060 car kit? If so (and I am not hopefull...) could you let me know if it works ok with it?

does anyone know if meteor are stocking accessories for this? cases etc?

Not in the shops I was in. Expansis seem to have a good selection though

EPM wrote: »
    Not in the shops I was in. Expansis seem to have a good selection though

thanks EPM, just had a look and this is helpful too

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2009/07/cases-for-the-htc-hero/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,482 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

MCR 2.9 is out now.

Moved base to 2.73.405.61
    Added Teknologist's 1.8 kernel with 80MB compcache, tun.ko etc. etc.
    Added loxley's updated bootdeb script
    Added super-APN file from Cyanogen's ROM
    Added Hebrew fonts add on pack

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/292018/04-11-2-9-modaco-custom-rom-core-chinese-with-tck-featuring-wavesecure/

Thanks in advance

Mines the same.

@cojomo 2 will try that, cheers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Anyone happen to have this phone and the THB Bury CC 9060 car kit? If so (and I am not hopefull...) could you let me know if it works ok with it?

Can you not get a bluetooth radio with these functions built in? Which car do u have?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement