Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Just gone from 2.1 to 3.0 on a 1st Gen iPhone.

That was pretty painless. :)

can i ask what guide you used to do this?? im on 2.1 and need a foolproof guide ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

mush500 wrote: »
    hey guys just a quick question as I haven't seen it answered anywhere, i have an unlocked 2g iphone version 1.0.2, never updated, i was going to use redsn0w on iclarified to upgrade to 3.0, is this ok? or will I need to go to version 2.0 first?? any help appreciated

I would imagine you would be ok, can't say for certain, though.
    sandt wrote: »
    can i ask what guide you used to do this?? im on 2.1 and need a foolproof guide ;)

The guide I have linked in the sticky at the top of the forum. :D

Linky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

@mush500: It doesn't matter what firmware you are on now since you'll be restoring to official 3.0 first anyway.

@sandt: Use this guide, its good

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

can somone tell me if i click a restore ponit on itunes for my iphone will it replace the firmware or just put back on songs etc??
    i just updated to FW 3.0 but i briked my iphone before i could do a restore point but want to get some photos of summer hols last year back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can't see the answer to this one...

Bit the bullet and followed the jailbreak instructions for my 3G here.
    Long story short, seemed to work fine, restored all my settings - but I'm getting "No Service" and can't make calls etc.

Have googled a bit but seem to get a lot of noise about AT&T and whatnot.

Anyone any thoughts before I restore? :o

Dades wrote: »
    Can't see the answer to this one...

Bit the bullet and followed the jailbreak instructions for my 3G here.
    Long story short, seemed to work fine, restored all my settings - but I'm getting "No Service" and can't make calls etc.

Have googled a bit but seem to get a lot of noise about AT&T and whatnot.

Anyone any thoughts before I restore? :o

Can you unlock the 3g with redsnow? I don't think so. You might have to use ultrasnow instead

animaX wrote: »
    Can you unlock the 3g with redsnow? I don't think so. You might have to use ultrasnow instead
    I'm new to this jailbreaking lark - but the site I used and a few other all had the same instructions and used redsn0w. :pac:
    I don't care I just need a signal!

I'm new to this jailbreaking lark - but the site I used and a few other all had the same instructions and used redsn0w. :pac:
    I don't care I just need a signal!

As far as i know, redsnow can only unlock a first gen iphone. It can jailbreak your iphone 3g, but not unlock it (for use with a different carrier). You will have to install ultrasnow to unlock your 3g for a different carrier. Note: you don't have to jailbreak or restore all over again, you just need to install ultrasnow in cydia. See here

Hmmm, I'm not trying to unlock the phone - just jailbreak it.

Thanks anyhoo. At any rate I've just restored it - need it tonite. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

anyone else have trouble jailbreaking with redsn0w? Once i do it, redsn0w says done, phone is powered on but stuck at a black screen. This has happened to me several times. Holding down home and power for 15-25 seconds brings me back to the black screen with usb connecting to itunes, which leads me up to restoring the iphone as my only option.
    I select the firmware patched by redsn0w, go through the process, but at the ends its not jailbroke.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

are you running 3.0, if so it's ultrasn0w you should be using not redsn0w, maybe if you update to 3.0 using itunes, then jailbreak then run ultrasn0w, see does that work...i've done it a few times, no problems.

are you running 3.0, if so it's ultrasn0w you should be using not redsn0w, maybe if you update to 3.0 using itunes, then jailbreak then run ultrasn0w, see does that work...i've done it a few times, no problems.

Thanks but I'm afraid that won't work. Ultrasn0w unlocks the network, but that can only be done after jailbreak.
    Any other suggestions? Vanilla iPhone is boring!

phill106 wrote: »
    Thanks but I'm afraid that won't work. Ultrasn0w unlocks the network, but that can only be done after jailbreak.
    Any other suggestions? Vanilla iPhone is boring!

You need to specify what iphone you have!! First gen or 3g? If you have first gen you only need redsnow, if you have 3g you need redsnow followed by ultrasnow.

Follow this guide and you can't go wrong for a first gen iphone (first gen guide is halfway down the page). If you have a 3g iphone you just jailbreak with redsnow as per this guide and then install ultrasnow as per this guide

If you have a 3g iphone you just jailbreak with redsnow as per this guide and then install ultrasnow as per this guide
    Not much use if you get "No Service" following redsn0w as I did yesterday! Seems to be a common issue with an uncommon solution.

Not much use if you get "No Service" following redsn0w as I did yesterday! Seems to be a common issue with an uncommon solution.

Have you tried installing ultrasnow via wifi to fix the no service problem? I'm assuming you're on the official carrier (02)? I'm not sure how an official 02 iphone works since I'm on voda and have always had to unlock for unofficial carrier

Have you tried installing ultrasnow via wifi to fix the no service problem? I'm assuming you're on the official carrier (02)? I'm not sure how an official 02 iphone works since I'm on voda and have always had to unlock for unofficial carrier
    I didn't have time to do that step yesterday - if it didn't work I'd have been phoneless. I do have wi-fi, you reckon there's a chance I might get my (O2) signal back with ultrasn0w installed?

I do have wi-fi, you reckon there's a chance I might get my (O2) signal back with ultrasn0w installed?

Well, as far as i know, ultrasnow opens up the iphone 3g for ANY carrier. I can only assume that this would work for an 02. Maybe you should wait for confirmation by someone here who actually has a 3g :D

You need to specify what iphone you have!! First gen or 3g? If you have first gen you only need redsnow, if you have 3g you need redsnow followed by ultrasnow.

Follow this guide and you can't go wrong for a first gen iphone (first gen guide is halfway down the page). If you have a 3g iphone you just jailbreak with redsnow as per this guide and then install ultrasnow as per this guide

its a 16gig 3g, on 3.0 (7a341) with 04.26.08 modem firmware. Ill try that second one, see how it goes, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭vigos

It seems this group has gone ahead and released a jailbreak for the 3GS

http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/07/i-make-it-ra1n.html

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    its a 16gig 3g, on 3.0 (7a341) with 04.26.08 modem firmware. Ill try that second one, see how it goes, thanks
    Do let know, phil, thanks.
    Have the same specs as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Has anyone tried Purplera1n yet?Does it work?If I use it will I be able to use the dev teams jailbreak when it comes out?

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Purplera1n yet?Does it work?If I use it will I be able to use the dev teams jailbreak when it comes out?

What is purple rain?! To be honest, I don't know if i'd trust anything that doesn't come from the dev team.

Edit: just read up on it now. I guess george hotz is the original iphone hacker, maybe it's all good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

dont know.....I would wait for the dev-team release if I were you.....reckon they will release a jailbreak very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

well the dev team are waiting till 3.1 for a 3g s jailbreak and no one knows when thats coming out so this is all we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Successfully upgraded my first gen yesterday and it's working better than ever! Have to say, the iPhone is such a genius product! I've had this phone quite a while now and a tiny screen glitch I'd been experiencing (little horizontal lines) was even fixed by the update.

Heavier web 2.0 sites are running and the little additional features are lovely. I copied an image from a site into an email for example and everything seems to be more stable and definitely faster. I haven't tried the voice memo stuff yet but I do like the idea of emailing the audio recordings.

REALLY don't understand why the video recording doesn't work though - cycorder is great but getting videos off it is not as handy as an official app would be.

Does the keyboard look different to anyone else? Kinda looks like the keys or letters are smaller or sharper or something...

I like the new icon textures too.

(posted from my iPhone!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I just jailbroke and unlocked my 3GS using purplera1n and ultrasn0w and it worked fine. Hurrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Finally got aniPod touch the other day! Now, it's a second hand 2gen upgraded to OS 3.00. If I want to jailbreak it with redsn0w will I have to pay for and download the 3.0 firmware? I know it states that I will have to here, http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4306 but just looking to see if I can save myself a few quid!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I just jailbroke and unlocked my 3GS using purplera1n and ultrasn0w and it worked fine. Hurrah!

wow..what sim did you try it with after unlocking?Does it work with a 3 irl sim? Any downsides to using this?

Im tempted to buy a pre pay o2 iphone 3gs now, and use this to unlock and stay with 3...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Just jailbroke my iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n. It was easy and fast! Yaaayyyyyy! And no need for all that IBSS and ECID stuff

@cojomo: The 3GS and 3G work with 3 as far as I know! And there's no downsides :)

Advertisement