Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options
  • 17-06-2009 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I think a single thread for all the 3.0 upgrade/jailbreak/unlock posts would be a good idea.

I plan on upgrading my 1st Gen iPhone to 3.0 at some stage today/tomorrow, pending details on an unlock being available.

So, if you are performing any of the above, let us know what model of phone you have, what version you went from, and how you got on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I am hoping to update my Jailborken 3G firmware 2.2 today and then jailbreak again.

I have read on-line that your better off taking a backup of your data and then restore the iphone using 3.0. If you dont do the restore aparently you lose 500MB's through Cydia files that dont get cleaned up.

so my questions are this:
    1. Do i just use itunes to back up everything? Or because I am jailbroken should i use Aptbackup?
    2. If I do a restore will i lose all my settings and text messages and stuff like that?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Did it in 16gig 3g last night with no issues. Any questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smasherplan9

phill106 wrote: »
    Did it in 16gig 3g last night with no issues. Any questions?
    Would appreciate a step by step of the process phill106

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Me too if that isn't too much trouble.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Would appreciate a step by step of the process phill106

Warning: Do this at your own risk. I got this from another site, and added a few bits.

It will work for 1st generation iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPod Touch users.

Here's how you do it:

1. Download the torrent Go to any famous torrent site, and search for the following:

- 1st generation iPhone users: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
    - iPhone 3G users: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw (One i used)
    - iPod Touch users: iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

If these search results don't give you any results (because torrents are always changing) search "iPhone OS 3.0" or "iPhone OS 3.0 Golden Master". You'll see "7A341" in the title. It should be about 230 MB.

2. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes

3. Sync and back-up your iPhone This is incredibly important. If you don't do this, you will lose all the stuff on your phone. Also, if something goes wrong, this way you can always safely go back.

4. If you are already jailbroken, i dont know a way to backup apps properly, so i took a screen shot of each page of my iphone, so if i couldnt remember the apps i had, i could just redownload them!

5. If you have cycorder installed, or any other kind of video recorder, make sure to save the videos seperately. I did, and used diskaid to connect to my phone. Its quite easy to use, and you can get it here. Good idea to browse your phone with this, make sure there isnt any other pics or anything you have forgotten
    6. SHIFT+ Restore (ALT + Update for Mac) Hold down shift or alt (PC/Mac) and press "Update" in iTunes after your iPhone is connected. A browser window will pop up. Select the file with the picture of the disk that you have just downlodaed via torrent. It should be called "iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw" or the variations of it seen above.
    NOTE
    I did restore instead of update, this was more by accident then choice but worked fine as i was jailbroke and knew i would be basically wiping the applications on the phone. Things like contacts texts etc are saved, so dont worry!

7. Let it work iTunes will verify the software, and then it will automatically start restoring and updating the phone (but now with the 3.0 firmware). Allow iTunes to install all your data and sync your stuff (contacts, music, apps, etc...)

Remember, if your iPhone is unlocked (aka if you're using it with meteor or vodafone) then updating the firmware will undo the unlock because it upgrades the baseband. Do not do this if you are using an unlocked iPhone. If your iPhone is jailbroken, updating to 3.0 will undo the jailbreak (until the Dev guys figure out how to jailbreak 3.0, which shouldn't take long), so it's your decision based on what you prefer - 3.0 or a jailbroken phone. The process is safe, easy, and quick.

8. Wait for jailbreak sometime tomorrow morning ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/ says free 3.0 software update available June 17th - but I cannot see anywhere to download? Is it just not out yes as US is behind time wise etc?

Also, is it really worth Jailbreaking? I tried when I got it but always got errors and could never do it, what do you get with jailbreak 3.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

I would imagine it would be 3 or 4pm our time before you can download 3.0 from apple

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/17/stop-hitting-f5-iphone-os-3-0-release-still-hours-away/

Could be between 5 - 7:30pm if this is to be believed.
    Crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ah balls I won't be able to do it later :(

I have to hold off until Friday anyway when they release ultrasn0w....cant be locking up the phone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Anyone care to share their experiences with upgrading in this thread?

Specifically, what version you were on (e.g. 2.1, 2.2.1, 1.3 :eek:) and what model of phone you have (i.e. 1st Gen/2nd Gen).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

phill106 wrote: »

4. If you are already jailbroken, i dont know a way to backup apps properly, so i took a screen shot of each page of my iphone, so if i couldnt remember the apps i had, i could just redownload them!

There is an App in Cydia or installer called AptBackup, worked perfectly for me when I moved to 2.2.

Attached is a screen shot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hmm, picture messages are not sending for me, but i can receive them ok
    Any idea how to fix this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Zascar wrote: »
    Hmm, picture messages are not sending for me, but i can receive them ok
    Any idea how to fix this?
    All Appl devices are now fitted with a variant of face detection software called "kiddie safe" which is a software that prevents you sending pictures of your genitalia.*

Try sending something clean ya dirty fecker. :D

contains no truth whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭CivilEx

The cat and mouse game is still going on - still no jailbreak. I wonder if the Dev Team are waiting to get their hands on a 3GS to see if it can be jailbroken out of the box?

reckon so, Musclenerd just put on his site that the 3GS is confirmed to be shipping with the vulnerable bootloader....my guess is they will be trying to jailbreak it and then release everything together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

anoble66 wrote: »
    reckon so, Musclenerd just put on his site that the 3GS is confirmed to be shipping with the vulnerable bootloader....my guess is they will be trying to jailbreak it and then release everything together.

Ah here me patience is running thin. Make sense though you think they would have released them both together from the start. So what time do people think it will be out? Cant see it being out before 6 our time.

yeah, only so much page refreshing I can take too :pac:

Probably best to just try and do something for the day and check again this evening....god we really are like a bunch of kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Move along now....nothing to see here.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Pwnage is available to download.

Check the official blog -> Official torrents

Woooohoooo

great if you have a MAC.....hopefully the rest will follow soon

But i do have a Mac....:D

I hate you :D

I would too. If you're in the Limk area i'd gladly help you out tho.

thanks for the offer! Actually only 15mins out of Limerick....but I am sure they will release QuickPWN this evening......hopefully :rolleyes:

QuickPWN is to be released in 1hr according to dev-team blog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

anoble66 wrote: »
    QuickPWN is to be released in 1hr according to dev-team blog :)

Is that expected to work with the 3GS? I see that the Pwnage one wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Is there a reason Pwnage didn't release it for the 3GS? The hardware in the 3GS is near identical to the 3G so I didn't think there would be anything stopping it from working on the 3GS.

• Advertisement

yeah, because they have not been able to jail brake it yet..even though a lot of the hardware is the same and the baseband it has a different CPU which means they have not been able to jailbreak it yet.

Advertisement