Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If I get my iphone unlocked & jailbroken is the only downside:
    1. can't get the official updates when they come out, have to wait for them to be cracked
    2. can't buy apps from official sources-e.g. Apple?
    Anything else?

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

dinneenp wrote: »
    If I get my iphone unlocked & jailbroken is the only downside:
    1. can't get the official updates when they come out, have to wait for them to be cracked
    2. can't buy apps from official sources-e.g. Apple?
    Anything else?

Cheers,
    Pa.

1. this is correct.

2.Not true..you can still buy official apps from app store as usual.

the advantages are that you can unlock and get unapproved apps from the cydia store, some of which are very useful.

I am not aware of any other downsides apart from the one you mentioned in your 1st point. I currently have a jailbroken/unlocked handset, no issues really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

A few quick questions, someone might be able to advise me...

If I want to jailbreak/unlock my 3G with ultrasn0w, is there a way of "unjailbreaking" it again afterwards while leaving the unlock intact? I have no real interest in Cydia apps etc and I use my iPhone for development so I'd like to mess with it as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have been experiencing some weird reboots lately with Cydia. It's happened 3 times now.

I would be browsing stuff on Cydia and after a while I notice Cydia slowing down and then if I decide to install something the second I press the install button my phone reboots.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

eireal wrote: »
    Lad's bit of help if you can
    Trying to unlock a 2g with redsnow on windows vista,but its not showing me the option to unlock,just add cydia and icy.Furthermore when i do try add both its hanging on on the 3'd reboot and i then get an error saying something like the device can transfare data faster with usb2.

Any ideas?

I am having the exact same issue as you, haven't been able to figure out why?

I get the USB error and and after selecting to install Cydia it just sits there when it should reboot after the install?

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

I have no need to unlock my phone at the moment but might be interested in jailbreaking. So many people around the web say it makes the iPhone a much better device. What exactly are the benefits? Are there any negative aspects such as slowdown or lack of stability? How easy is it to brick the iPhone, does it effect my warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    have a jailbroken 3g and used to be able to watch video on nearly any site when i had it running on 2.2.1. Since i have upgraded to 3.0 most site say i need to update my flash player . Can any one tell me what flash player i need and were to get it. i must have got it before just cant remeber now
    just in install imobilecinema of cydia then you can watch flash videos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Pimpey wrote: »
    I am having the exact same issue as you, haven't been able to figure out why?

I get the USB error and and after selecting to install Cydia it just sits there when it should reboot after the install?

Any suggestions?
    dont install cydia and icy at same time,
    just cydia, then update it
    then add ICY from the repo

ImDave wrote: »
    Guys, quick question.

Jailbroke & Unlocked iPhone 3G 3.0 at the weekend so I could switch to Meteor. Since doing so, I've noticed even in areas of full coverage that I recieve texts sometimes an hour late, people can't get through to me at times, and performance is generally slower. Also, battery life is gone incredibly poor. Phone was fully charged as of 5:30PM yesterday evening, and went dead about 2AM this morning. 3G, Wireless & Bluetooth turned off, screen brightness low and push data off. Not sure if some of these features can be attributed to the 3.0 OS upgrade or the unlock.

Has anyone noticed any similar difficulties?
    im havin exact same problem , does your iphone get very hot aswell ? this only happened last week aswell

• Advertisement

ImDave wrote: »
    Guys, quick question.

Jailbroke & Unlocked iPhone 3G 3.0 at the weekend so I could switch to Meteor. Since doing so, I've noticed even in areas of full coverage that I recieve texts sometimes an hour late, people can't get through to me at times, and performance is generally slower. Also, battery life is gone incredibly poor. Phone was fully charged as of 5:30PM yesterday evening, and went dead about 2AM this morning. 3G, Wireless & Bluetooth turned off, screen brightness low and push data off. Not sure if some of these features can be attributed to the 3.0 OS upgrade or the unlock.

Has anyone noticed any similar difficulties?
    wat ya need to do is restore ya phone again and jailbreak and unlock it . den when itunes open after tat set up as a new phone instead of restore from back up . thats coming straight from the iphone dev team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

BOBBY wrote: »
    dont install cydia and icy at same time,
    just cydia, then update it
    then add ICY from the repo

That doesn't work I am afraid was only installing Cydia not icy

It just hangs and doesn't reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Ive unlocked a cpl of phones for friends using redsnow and ultrasnow .90, it would seem trying to use .91 that is now in the repo666 doesn't work as well.

Anyone figured this out using the new up to date ultrasnow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Apple are releasing OS 3.0.1 tonight (patch for that SMS security issue)

iPhone 3GS is jailbroken - is it just a case of re-jailbreaking after the firmware update?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Apple are releasing OS 3.0.1 tonight (patch for that SMS security issue)

iPhone 3GS is jailbroken - is it just a case of re-jailbreaking after the firmware update?

You will have to wait for the dev team to release a jailbreak and unlock for it. They might not though as 3.1 will be released in a month or so.

I doubt it check the dev teams blog to mAke sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

i just Jailbroke my phone and now I don't have any network connection. If I go to setting I don't have an option of carrier settings, or in Setting > General >Network there is no Cellular Data Network.

Did I miss something in installing? I followed this to teh button but no success :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

What firmware were you on - 3.0 or 3.0.1?

And what did you use to Jailbreak???

I was on 3.0.1.

I used the Redsn0w from here

I've tried it about 5 or 6 times now without success.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Quazzie wrote: »
    I was on 3.0.1.

I used the Redsn0w from here

I've tried it about 5 or 6 times now without success.
    If you cannot access or don't have "Cellular Data Network", you need to get to a wifi connection and download "APN Editing" from Cydia.

This re-enables the ability to input your preferred APN under the menu Cellular Data Network

• Advertisement

CivilEx wrote: »
    If you cannot access or don't have "Cellular Data Network", you need to get to a wifi connection and download "APN Editing" from Cydia.

This re-enables the ability to input your preferred APN under the menu Cellular Data Network
    I just kep trying and eventually my phone went back to 100% factory settings (not activated or nothing) and then I just started afresh and it worked. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

I bought a 3gs on O2 contract there last week. obviously dont need to unlock it but can anyone tell me the link for step by step jailbreak by the dev team, as from reading here they seem the s*it.

PS if i f*ck the phone up completely can i restore it w/o any negative physical side effects to the phone( v important) and what are the best jailbreak apps out there??? might help in my decision to JB or not!!!

thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

go to www.iclarified.com and go to the tutorials section on jailbreaking. You will be using redsn0w to jailbreak which you can download from iclarified. You can always restore back to the default firmware so no problem there

thanks. was looking at it there , dunno what firmware i have (can i check?) im using (non - intel) OSX tiger by the way. says i need to have 3.0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

chave wrote: »
    I bought a 3gs on O2 contract there last week. obviously dont need to unlock it but can anyone tell me the link for step by step jailbreak by the dev team, as from reading here they seem the s*it.

PS if i f*ck the phone up completely can i restore it w/o any negative physical side effects to the phone( v important) and what are the best jailbreak apps out there??? might help in my decision to JB or not!!!

thanks a million
    Follow Anoble's link. iClarified is a great site for tutorials. The exact tutorial you'll need is here

Follow those instructions and you'll be grand. If anything goes wrong, there's no lasting damage. Just do a restore and you'll be grand. No trace of you ever jailbreaking then :)

To be honest, I really think that to get the best out of your iPhone, you need to jailbreak it. Cydia is the app you will use to download apps and it installs automatically when you jailbreak.
    The best Cydia apps I use are:
    MxTube- Download videos straight off YouTube to your phone. It's great for downloading TV programmes to watch on the go.

Backgrounder- Allows you to keep apps going on in the background which is brilliant. Like if you download WunderRadio off the AppStore, you are able to listen to all your radio stations but once you exit the App, you can't listen to the radio. If you turn on Backgrounder, you can keep the radio going while text or do other stuff on the phone :)

Winterboard- Allows you to apply themes to the iPhone. You can have complete themes. EG- You can download a Vista theme which completely re-skins your iPhone and applies Vista sound effects etc. Here's my theme:

21075144457e0f3c71ad9f1.jpg
    :)

EDIT: If you have an iPhone 3GS, then you're on 3.0

sounds good to me looking forward to some decent apps. just one more thing i just plugged my phone in there for a charge and it asked me to download 3.0.1. which i declined. whats the procedure post jailbreaking for updating the software on the phone! i heard things about using space that cannot be recovered etc on the phone if done wrong????

thanks

sounds good to me looking forward to some decent apps. just one more thing i just plugged my phone in there for a charge and it asked me to download 3.0.1. which i declined. whats the procedure post jailbreaking for updating the software on the phone! i heard things about using space that cannot be recovered etc on the phone if done wrong????

thanks
    If you jailbreak, then you can't update without losing the jailbreak. The general procedure is to hold off on updating until the Dev-Team releases a jailbreak for the update. You can of course update if you want but you'll be un-jailbroken then! No space will be taken that you can't use again.

By the way, it's safe to update to 3.0.1 because that can be jailbroken with Redsn0w :)

thanks purple youve been a major help.

so when an update is released and the and the dev team releases a jailbreak for the update. is the procedure to update as normal on itunes unjailbreak it then re jailbreak it again with the dev teams' new release????

thanks purple youve been a major help.

so when an update is released and the and the dev team releases a jailbreak for the update. is the procedure to update as normal on itunes unjailbreak it then re jailbreak it again with the dev teams' new release????
    I pretty much just follow the new tutorial on iClarified again :)

Generally they ask you to update on iTunes to the new firmware then use Redsn0w to jailbreak it again.

But remember that new jailbreak releases won't be instantly after a new update is released. It can take a couple of weeks for the Dev Team to work around the update because it's like a game of Cat & Mouse. Apple constantly patches the exploits that the Dev Team uses in new updates. If they update the baseband for example, the Dev Team mightn't even be able to jailbreak it until the next update!

• Advertisement

thanks again for the advice man.

kinda getting cold feet though. read on few other forums that
    in some cases it may not be possible to restore and make everything better
    if the phone has a meltdown.

might just leave it and hope apple decides to accept better apps for the store.
    I mean id imaging changing backgrounds/themes will deffo come in but sure we'll see.

cheers

Advertisement