Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I can confirm, texts, calls and data are working on 3 Ireland after the ultrasn0w unlock...

Haven't checked picture messages yet...

Can you publish the settings? I'm not sure of MMS ones...

Did you have to start it with the 3G off, and then switch the 3G on after? That gave me a few problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Can you publish the settings? I'm not sure of MMS ones...

Did you have to start it with the 3G off, and then switch the 3G on after? That gave me a few problems.

mms setting are over in the sticky in mobiles & pda forum..

i just put in my 3 sim, 3G was on, worked straight off...

how do you know when your roaming on Vodafone? (will data work?) i've just got a 3 on the top corner, was expecting a 3G

mms setting are over in the sticky in mobiles & pda forum..

i just put in my 3 sim, 3G was on, worked straight off...

how do you know when your roaming on Vodafone? (will data work?) i've just got a 3 on the top corner, was expecting a 3G

On mine, the bars turn blue if you are using 3G, I think. At least, sometimes it's blue, sometimes it's not...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When I was on 3 with my old phone it always just said 3, never indicated when you were on vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Are you sure you're using the right ipsw? I read on Saurik's twitter (he made Cydia) that a lot of people were installing the wrong one and encountering problems as a result....

I got the 3.0 software from iclarified. Do you have a link to the one published on Hackint0sh please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

On mine, the bars turn blue if you are using 3G, I think. At least, sometimes it's blue, sometimes it's not...

The bars turn blue if you are in a menu. Home screen and lock screen they are white.

If you are in a 3G are it will say 3G.

mad muffin wrote: »
    The bars turn blue if you are in a menu. Home screen and lock screen they are white.

If you are in a 3G are it will say 3G.

Then, I'm an idiot. Thanks!

this stupid phone is no use to me now. I have tried all morning and I still am getting nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Has anyone that is not on O2 got tethering to work yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

swingking wrote: »
    I got the 3.0 software from iclarified. Do you have a link to the one published on Hackint0sh please?

they are all here, i think the iClarified link may be pointing to the same location though.
    http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f127/22056.htm

no harm in downloading it again I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Any news on Quickpwn for 3.0?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Well, against my better judgement I took the plunge and upgraded my iPhone 3G to 3.0 and jailbroke it (redsn0w 0.7.2) and then unlocked it (ultrasn0w).

I'm using Meteor and calls / texts are working fine so far but my data connectivity seems... fucked.

When I reboot the phone I get a 3G logo for all of about 20 seconds then it reverts to E. I remember when I originally jailbroke and unlocked the phone (firmware 2.2.1 I think) I had some hassle getting the thing to connect to the 3G network that was to do with what APN I was using.

Can anyone on Meteor who is using an unlocked iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 3.0 tell me exactly what data settings they are using and work for them? (Settings -> General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network)

Cheers!

to anyone out there who managed to successfully jailbreak their iphone to version 3.0 for unlocking on Ultrasn0w; did you upgrade your itunes to version 8.2?

swingking wrote: »
    to anyone out there who managed to successfully jailbreak their iphone to version 3.0 for unlocking on Ultrasn0w; did you upgrade your itunes to version 8.2?

Yeah, you have to upgrade to 8.2 in order to upgrade your iPhone to 3.0 and then use redsn0w to jailbreak it.

Yeah, you have to upgrade to 8.2 in order to upgrade your iPhone to 3.0 and then use redsn0w to jailbreak it.

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. Not ONCE is this mentioned on any of the blog sites, iclarified, hackint0sh.

Can't really test it out cause I'm in work now but I had heard from a while ago that you should not update to iTunes 8.2 as this will prevent you being able to jailbreak.

Guess it's not the case ;)

@swingking: Well, as far as I know, it was the case until redsn0w and ultrasn0w were released but now that those two tools are available it's perfectly possible.

Also, after you update iTunes to 8.2 and your iPhone to 3.0 it will not be activated but don't worry about trying to find an O2 SIM or anything to activate it as redsn0w will activate it for you as part of the jailbreaking process.

Now... if only I could get my data working properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Hey im currently on 2.2 is the only way to upgrade to 3.0 is to restore the phone in itunes i.e lose all my text messages, apps etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

menuisier wrote: »
    Hey im currently on 2.2 is the only way to upgrade to 3.0 is to restore the phone in itunes i.e lose all my text messages, apps etc?

Do a backup first. Then restore and you will get back all your apps/mesages/songs/etc.

@menuiser: No, as far as I know you should be able to upgrade it.. I know I was and I've kept all of my apps, text messages, contacts, calendar appointments, etc.

I haven't synced it with Exchange / iTunes since the upgrade either so it's not that they were deleted and then resynced it's just kept them all.

will the jailbroken apps be backup also? is a backup an image of everything on the phone?

• Advertisement

Good question; Tom Dunne or one of the other users will be able to give you more info on this one... the only jailbroken app I had was Cydia (which I only used for yellowsn0w, the rest of my apps came from the App Store).

Instinct tells me your jailbroken apps will be gone as well but Tom's backup then restore solution sounds like it might work for you?

well i dont mind if i lose my jail broken apps just download the few that i want again there was to much junk anyway but most of my official apps were cracked from the internet but i guess thats my own fault which i should be able to sort out in my own time.
    if i do a restore can i be sure that i dont lose any disk space?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Just upgraded to 3.0 (1st gen iphone using vodafone) but the notes app isn't working properly? It opens and I can see the notes but when i try to open them, the app crashes. I can't make new notes either. Anyone else have this problem? Everything else is working fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

animaX wrote: »
    Just upgraded to 3.0 (1st gen iphone using vodafone) but the notes app isn't working properly? It opens and I can see the notes but when i try to open them, the app crashes. I can't make new notes either. Anyone else have this problem? Everything else is working fine!

workin fine for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

is it just me or is the battery really poor. I have an iphone 3g jailbroken and unlocked and am only getting a few hours out of the thing and it seems to take ages to charge. Is it normal or should i be looking to get a new battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

my battery seems better to be honest...

If its only new the battery life will improve after a few charge cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    is it just me or is the battery really poor. I have an iphone 3g jailbroken and unlocked and am only getting a few hours out of the thing and it seems to take ages to charge. Is it normal or should i be looking to get a new battery?
    This happened to me a couple of days ago. The battery was fully charged and went dead three times in the space of nine hours. I then left it turned off for an extebded period (9hrs because I forgot my charger not by choice) and then charged it fully again. That was Sunday and I only went under 20% today in work. From one extreme to the other. I don't know whats up with it, but it seems to have levelled off to normal now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Stephen wrote: »
    If its only new the battery life will improve after a few charge cycles.

Naw it was second hand and i have had it for two months only unlocked it today though. Would apps play a large part cus i have 5 pages. Is that normal or should i cut it down? Just after the 3.o update everything seems slower. Like safari on wifi was fine until i updated now it just seems a lot slower.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter how many apps you have, just what you're doing with them. Games and stuff would probably be quite heavy on it. If its being slow and stuff it might be worth restoring it from scratch, which should eliminate any problems that may have been caused by upgrading in-place.

Advertisement