Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

3gs jailbreak might have been achieved already.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4326

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Naw it was second hand and i have had it for two months only unlocked it today though. Would apps play a large part cus i have 5 pages. Is that normal or should i cut it down? Just after the 3.o update everything seems slower. Like safari on wifi was fine until i updated now it just seems a lot slower.

Only using the applications will have an effect, you might want to try restoring the phone and unlocking again as it can be the software reporting falsely that the battery is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

okay I've managed to successfully unlock my iphone 3g to OS3.0 but youtube no longer works. Is anyone else having this problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

nope, mine works fine! I know the dev team were trying to fix that bug in ultrasn0w.

slinky2000 wrote: »
    nope, mine works fine! I know the dev team were trying to fix that bug in ultrasn0w.

Do you mind me asking how you jailbroke your iphone 3g and where did you download the iphone firmware from.

I think I'm gonna to re-jailbreak my iphone to get the youtube app working ; or is there an alternative in cydia that does the same thing.

Thanks for all your help guys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

MXtube from within Cydia is a cool app that lets you download youtube videos and save them to your iphone.

Brilliant I'll give that a shot. I never knew there was an app that downloads youtube vids.

nice one

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah its very cool. You get the option to download in low or high res - depending on if you are on wifi or not etc. Means you can have all your favourite video's at hand in 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

swingking wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you jailbroke your iphone 3g and where did you download the iphone firmware from.

I think I'm gonna to re-jailbreak my iphone to get the youtube app working ; or is there an alternative in cydia that does the same thing.

Thanks for all your help guys

yea sure

I restored my iphone through itunes 8.2, it automatically updated to 3.0 and restored all my offical apps, sms, pics etc with my original northern o2 sim!

I downloaded redsn0w and the official ispw for 3.0 and jailbroke it (When it askes do you want to install cydia and/or Icy, just select Cydia, ICY broke everything and I had to restore again)

I then added the repository in cydia for ultrasn0w and installed it, then I threw in my meteor sim, entered the data settings and walla everytihng works!

Okay I downloaded mxtube to my iphone and I'm constantly getting youtube errors. It looks like the iphone won't connect to the youtube server.

I'm gonna have to start all over again :( even though it too me ages to rescue my old notes and text messages and camera photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

did my upgrade/jailbreak/unlock last night. Redsn0w crashed during the "uploading jailbreak" part of the process but restarted phone, put into DFU mode and it jailbroke fine the second time.. Some of the jailbreak apps seem to have remembered my settings when I reinstalled them which is kinda weird..

Anyone know the MMS config settings for vodafone?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

anyone else noticed there wireless speed has increased since upgrading to 3.0? Mine is flying now, before the upgrade the most I could get was around 200KB/s.....now downloading at 650KB/s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ziggy wrote: »

Did you do a restore from iTunes once you were jailbroken?

It took me 5 efforts to get my phone up and running. Restore from iTunes was killing it. I started from fresh and had to enter all my settings again and lost my texts but most things are running smooth now. Just a few cydia apps not working for me and these are ones where the developers are no longer working on them, such as mobilefinder, statusnotifier and scrobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Ok, so I followed all the steps to update, jailbreak and unlock my iphone 2g (formerly on 1.1.4) to 3.0 and it DID work (all 3.0 features were there and it was picking up vodafone) using this (http://hubpages.com/hub/Unlock-iphone-30-with-redsnow) but then I synced it with the backup data from itunes and now it is just stuck on an apple logo and a loading bar (not filling either) after rebooting. It synced all songs etc and itunes still picks it up but I simply can't use the phone. Soft reset doesn't fix it. What do i do??

rc28 wrote: »
    Ok, so I followed all the steps to update, jailbreak and unlock my iphone 2g (formerly on 1.1.4) to 3.0 and it DID work (all 3.0 features were there and it was picking up vodafone) using this (http://hubpages.com/hub/Unlock-iphone-30-with-redsnow) but then I synced it with the backup data from itunes and now it is just stuck on an apple logo and a loading bar (not filling either) after rebooting. It synced all songs etc and itunes still picks it up but I simply can't use the phone. Soft reset doesn't fix it. What do i do??

I had a similar problem, had to give up on the backup data and enter all the settings new. The only thing I really lost was my texts and a lot of time!

jester77 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem, had to give up on the backup data and enter all the settings new. The only thing I really lost was my texts and a lot of time!

But how did you get it off the black screen with the loading bar- remember it actually did manage to sync all my data and itunes still recognises mine as normal with 3.0 on it. I'm goin to leave it on that screen all night and see if anything changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just gone from 2.1 to 3.0 on a 1st Gen iPhone.

That was pretty painless. :)

But how did you get it off the black screen with the loading bar- remember it actually did manage to sync all my data and itunes still recognises mine as normal with 3.0 on it. I'm goin to leave it on that screen all night and see if anything changes.

I never had that problem, do you mean the restore screen? I used the pwnage tool and built a new ISPW with the jailbreak in it and I used that to restore. I think this only works with the 1st generation phone. I wouldn't leave it going over night, these phones can get very warm, might do some damage.
    ziggy wrote: »

Meant your iphone backup settings that iTunes makes with each sync. Whenever I did a restore from iTunes with my old settings nothing would work correctly and I would have to do a full firmware restore and jailbreak.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I really don't understand how you guys are getting into trouble updating and jailbreaking.

Took me all of 20 min maybe from upgrade to jailbreak to restoring and syncing my phone.

No icon glitch either and have rebooted the phone several times.

Just followed the tutorial on iClarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Had the same problem today with a 1st gen iPhone and redsn0w. Everything worked bar the phone (even with O2 sim). It appears that the bootloader roms were not flashed correctly during the process.

The easiest option is to redo the jailbreak and unlock with PwnageTool 3.0. After using that and sucessfully flashing the bootloader all worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

mad muffin wrote: »
    I really don't understand how you guys are getting into trouble updating and jailbreaking......

Sure the instructions are simple to follow but it doesnt mean that they will always work. I've been qualified and working with electronics and IT for almost ten years now and the redsn0w installation didnt work for me either. Sh*t happens to everyone and don't worry about it lads. Best of luck with the jailbreak and let me know if you have any more problems.

jester77 wrote: »
    I never had that problem, do you mean the restore screen? I used the pwnage tool and built a new ISPW with the jailbreak in it and I used that to restore. I think this only works with the 1st generation phone. I wouldn't leave it going over night, these phones can get very warm, might do some damage.

Meant your iphone backup settings that iTunes makes with each sync. Whenever I did a restore from iTunes with my old settings nothing would work correctly and I would have to do a full firmware restore and jailbreak.

No, it's not a restore screen- just a loading bar and an apple logo. Bizarrely I can ring the phone and i can hear a dialtone but the iphone itself stays frozen with no ring sound. I am going to have to try the whole jailbreak and unlock process from scratch after a restore later today. Is pwnage really better than redsnow?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No, it's not a restore screen- just a loading bar and an apple logo. Bizarrely I can ring the phone and i can hear a dialtone but the iphone itself stays frozen with no ring sound. I am going to have to try the whole jailbreak and unlock process from scratch after a restore later today. Is pwnage really better than redsnow?

pwnage is for mac redsnow is for pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

What I did even using the redsnow app was I deleted as much as I could off the phone that wasnt Apple official, such as any cydia apps, hacks, and themes etc then I did a sync (and backup) in iTunes. After that I did the redsnow unlock/Jailbreak followed by a 'restore from backup' and sync in iTunes. It all went perfectly, I reloaded Cydia etc and I now have themes and some Cydia apps re-installed. This was on my 16gig 1st gen using an iMac.
    It just seemed logical that an iTunes backup and restore was maybe going to be more problem free without stuff that wasn't official, and it's easy enough just to load it back on after the unlock procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Im trying to set up the proxy.pac jobby so that I can access the vodafone live (99cent a day) on my iphone. I've updated to 3.0 and added OpenSSH. But WinSCP still cant access my iPhone. Anyone have any ideas?

Scrap that, got in on the 3rd attempt. As a matter of interest, does anyone else use this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Reganovski wrote: »

Scrap that, got in on the 3rd attempt. As a matter of interest, does anyone else use this?

Yeah I use it on 3.0. However, I use iphonebrowser to access the files on the iphone, its much better than ssh and winscp. It allows direct access to iphone files over usb connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

animaX wrote: »
    Yeah I use it on 3.0. However, I use iphonebrowser to access the files on the iphone, its much better than ssh and winscp. It allows direct access to iphone files over usb connection

But do you use the proxy.pac to access vodafone live or do you use isp.vodafone.ie to access the web?

Advertisement