Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭vigos

dev-team have now released a jailbreak for 3GS

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/137214493/whats-old-is-new-again

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭CivilEx

There's also an update to Ultrasn0w in Cydia, but nobody is having any issues with it - right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

personally if you already have Ultrasn0w working and dont have problems, I wouldn't update to the new one. Couple of people on the dev blog saying they upgraded and their phones are now stuck on the apple logo.

I think the only change in the new release makes it compatible with the 3GS so I cant see any reason to upgrade.....correct me if I am wrong someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Can some1 set me straight here..Im thinking of buying an 02 iphone 3gs and unlocking it to use on 3 irl.

When I buy the phone and use redsn0w to jailbreak and ultasn0w to unlock, what happens when 3.1 and future softwares are released? I know I cant update via itunes, but is there a dev tool that will enable me to always update to the latest software without the phone locking itself?

Or do I just have to stick with 3.0 and wait and hope that an updated jailbreak/unlock may be released?

Thanks

So at the moment, yes you can go in purchase a 3GS and unlock it. At the moment the 3GS is shipped with 3.0. But within the next few weeks to months they will start to ship with 3.1...at this stage the current Ultrasn0w unlock will not work.

But the dev team will release a tool which will allow you to keep on updating the iphone to the latest firmware but without upgrading the modem baseband (which is what causes the phone to lock)

So in summary, your fine if your buying a phone running 3.0

• Advertisement

anoble66 wrote: »
    So at the moment, yes you can go in purchase a 3GS and unlock it. At the moment the 3GS is shipped with 3.0. But within the next few weeks to months they will start to ship with 3.1...at this stage the current Ultrasn0w unlock will not work.

But the dev team will release a tool which will allow you to keep on updating the iphone to the latest firmware but without upgrading the modem baseband (which is what causes the phone to lock)

So in summary, your fine if your buying a phone running 3.0

Thanks. This sounds good.

But on the Dev teams blog its states:

''For those of you who already own 3GS phones, the outlook is bright. As long as you have your personalized (signed) dfu/img3 files, you’ll always be able to jailbreak (even if you slip up and install stock Apple firmware in the future).''

So by the sounds of this, I need to have 'my personalized(signed) dfu/img3 files'' in order to be able to update to the latest firmware without the phone locking itself? What are theses files?

Further deatails :
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Not sure exactly what those files are, but by the sounds of things 3GS owners will always be able to jailbreak.....but that does not mean you will always be able to unlock. If you update your baseband and apple close the hole that Ultrasn0w uses you will still be screwed.....so basically always upgrade using the dev team tool (when released) and you will be fine.

anoble66 wrote: »
    Not sure exactly what those files are, but by the sounds of things 3GS owners will always be able to jailbreak.....but that does not mean you will always be able to unlock. If you update your baseband and apple close the hole that Ultrasn0w uses you will still be screwed.....so basically always upgrade using the dev team tool (when released) and you will be fine.

Yeah it states that we will always be able to jailbreak as long as we have those files..im kinda lost..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

It's complicated, but basically Apple added a new layer of security to the iPhone. You're iPhone has 2 signatures now, an IBEC and an IBSS. You will need these for any future jailbreaks/unlocks for the likes of 3.1.

iClarified has a good tutorial on how to get these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

How do you add a .ipa file to your jailbroken iphone? Is it just a case of adding to iTunes?

Cheers,
    Keith

• Advertisement

So you can illegally download apps?

No thanks :) I'd rather support the developers

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Jailbreaking allows you to install apps that are not approved by Apple, it does not necessarily mean you want to install illegally downloaded apps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Forget it :rolleyes:

mika27 wrote: »
    Jailbreaking allows you to install apps that are not approved by Apple, it does not necessarily mean you want to install illegally downloaded apps
    Well since his post was deleted, I'm guessing you didn't see the post I was replying to. He was asking how to install cracked apps from the AppStore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

keith_d99 wrote: »
    How do you add a .ipa file to your jailbroken iphone? Is it just a case of adding to iTunes?

Cheers,
    Keith
    I used this method (on a 3G) a couple of days ago to install an ipa file through iTunes - worked a charm.

1. Open Cydia
    2. Add this source: http://cydia.hackulo.us or http://iphone.org.hk/apt
    3. Still in Cydia install MiPatch (By Hackulo) or Mobileinstallation (by iPhone.org.hk)
    * in iPhone OS 3.o you have to install AppSync or installd (I used installd)
    4. Restart iPhone
    5. Connect iPhone to your PC/Mac by USB-Cable
    6. Copy your ipa files into your iTunes Library (just drag and drop to the iTunes Window)
    7. Tell iTunes to install applications that you want
    8. Start Syncing iPhone!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

hi, hope this isnt too annoying but i ahve a few questions, iv been reading through all these posts and am very confused now.
    i have a 2g ipod touch and firmware 2.2.1 and i wanna jailbreak it, whats the best programme to use?
    can i "un" jailbreak it if i want?

is there any downsides or does it as from different posts affect different users randomly

thanks and again sorry for noob questions

Edit: can i use itunes as normal is my ipod is jailbroken?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Well since his post was deleted, I'm guessing you didn't see the post I was replying to. He was asking how to install cracked apps from the AppStore.

Silly boy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

I just unlocked a 16gb 3g for a mate and now I get restricted network. activation may take awhile.

Does anyone know how to get network back? I unlocked my 3gs the same way and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

got 3gs on launch day, jailbreak last night, restore back to normal tonight.
    jailbrake made my iPhone a little flakey so i deicded to go straight back after the day.

besides i like my warranty :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

have a jailbroken 3g and used to be able to watch video on nearly any site when i had it running on 2.2.1. Since i have upgraded to 3.0 most site say i need to update my flash player . Can any one tell me what flash player i need and were to get it. i must have got it before just cant remeber now

• Advertisement

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    have a jailbroken 3g and used to be able to watch video on nearly any site when i had it running on 2.2.1. Since i have upgraded to 3.0 most site say i need to update my flash player . Can any one tell me what flash player i need and were to get it. i must have got it before just cant remeber now

hmmm, are you sure the videos you were watching before wrent you youtube links? Iphone does not support flash player, so you cannot watch flash videos ...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭smndly

Hey has anyone found a way to fix the battery drainage/ heating problem with 3.0?? My battery now only lasts about 7 hours even on standby!! Turning the phone off and back on can work for a bit but then it gets hot again and the battery drains. Does anyone know if reinstalling 3.0 will make any difference? Ill have to use redsn0w again and download the firmware which i dont really want to do if i can avoid it.

smndly wrote: »
    Hey has anyone found a way to fix the battery drainage/ heating problem with 3.0?? My battery now only lasts about 7 hours even on standby!! Turning the phone off and back on can work for a bit but then it gets hot again and the battery drains. Does anyone know if reinstalling 3.0 will make any difference? Ill have to use redsn0w again and download the firmware which i dont really want to do if i can avoid it.

ye mine is the same it is seriously sick. Was bad when I first updated it battery was very poor but drained it and then it was fine actually was the best it ever has been. Then after two weeks my phone ran out of battery and when i recharged it at has never worked the same. Battery is the worst i have ever seen it and not only that but the phone itself has become very slow. Even simple apps like icopter are nearly unplayable as its to jumpy. Have heard people explain these problem but does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Edit: I drained the battery as i was on my way to italy and the first charging it got was there. The same thing on the way home it was the first time the phone ran out of battery and problems began when i recharged it in Ireland. The phone is not Irish. I presume that voltages and so on have nothing to do with it thanks.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    hmmm, are you sure the videos you were watching before wrent you youtube links? Iphone does not support flash player, so you cannot watch flash videos ...

Well flash player that maybe not be the right term. I was once able to view megavideo videos for example and now am unable to do so and it asks me to update my flash player. I have looked through cydia but havent been able to get anything that solves this problem.

Thanks for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 biffo872002

one more question?.. if i buy my iphone 3gs in belfast and live in dublin will i need to register it to a english address or can i give my own in dublin?..... i plan on unlocking it an not using there network either way but just to get it out of the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Lad's bit of help if you can
    Trying to unlock a 2g with redsnow on windows vista,but its not showing me the option to unlock,just add cydia and icy.Furthermore when i do try add both its hanging on on the 3'd reboot and i then get an error saying something like the device can transfare data faster with usb2.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

eireal wrote: »
    Lad's bit of help if you can
    Trying to unlock a 2g with redsnow on windows vista,but its not showing me the option to unlock,just add cydia and icy.Furthermore when i do try add both its hanging on on the 3'd reboot and i then get an error saying something like the device can transfare data faster with usb2.

Any ideas?

Just choose Cydia and let it run. When it's finished go to cydia,manage,sources click edit and then add. Type in repo666.ultrasn0w.com then search for ultrasn0w. That will let you unlock. If you really want icy there is another source you can type into cydia. I don't know it off the top of my head but you can find it easily. I wouldn't recommend icy though I always have problems with it and have to re jailbreak. Sorry for any typos(I'm on my iPhone)Any other questions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Just choose Cydia and let it run. When it's finished go to cydia,manage,sources click edit and then add. Type in repo666.ultrasn0w.com then search for ultrasn0w. That will let you unlock. If you really want icy there is another source you can type into cydia. I don't know it off the top of my head but you can find it easily. I wouldn't recommend icy though I always have problems with it and have to re jailbreak. Sorry for any typos(I'm on my iPhone)Any other questions just ask.

I cant even get as far as to it actually installing,it keeps hanging on a reboot and then i get the usb error,i'll have to try on xp just incase its a hardware prob.

Also will i be able to access cydia once installed or will i keep getting the insert valid sim error that stops you from accessing any menus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭innocenteyesuk

Anyone able to help!

Got an iphone in america and jailbreaked it using redsn0w.

Trying to unlock it now using Cydia and ultrasn0w but it's giving me an error when i press install.

"The requested modifications cannot be applied due to required dependencies or conflicts that cannot be automatically found or fixed".

Any help!!!!?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Guys, quick question.

Jailbroke & Unlocked iPhone 3G 3.0 at the weekend so I could switch to Meteor. Since doing so, I've noticed even in areas of full coverage that I recieve texts sometimes an hour late, people can't get through to me at times, and performance is generally slower. Also, battery life is gone incredibly poor. Phone was fully charged as of 5:30PM yesterday evening, and went dead about 2AM this morning. 3G, Wireless & Bluetooth turned off, screen brightness low and push data off. Not sure if some of these features can be attributed to the 3.0 OS upgrade or the unlock.

Has anyone noticed any similar difficulties?

Advertisement