Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Chrome.ie

Just jailbroke my iPhone 3GS using PurpleRa1n. It was easy and fast! Yaaayyyyyy! And no need for all that IBSS and ECID stuff

@cojomo: The 3GS and 3G work with 3 as far as I know! And there's no downsides :)

Just Jailbroke and unlocked my iphone 3gs with purplera1n and ultrasnow and is working with 3 no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

so is there any reason at all why i should not use purplera1n and instead wait for the dev team to release their jailbreak?

If i do use purplera1n, does it mean I wont be able to use the dev teams solution (if theirs is better for some reason)?

apart from not being able to update firmware via itunes, is there any other downside to using this unlock? And how will i be able to update to the newer firmwares as they become available without the phone re-locking itself?

I didnt manage to get my hands on a factoty unlockd one when I was in Belgium earlier this week..so if I buy an o2 one and use this method it should be all good:o

Thanks for the info..

To the guys that have used purplera1n and ultrasn0w to unlock the 3gs:

I have read that there is a bug that screws up your wifi after you unlock the 3gs...any truth in this?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Chrome.ie

cojomo2 wrote: »

I have read that there is a bug that screws up your wifi after you unlock the 3gs...any truth in this?:confused:

I've had no problems yet. Everything seems to be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Zascar wrote: »
    Mine was fine at first but has slowed up since

Mine was slow at first but has now sped up? :confused: :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

No truth at all. Mine has been working perfect

I was planning on going to belgium in about 5 weeks to try pick up an unlocked 3gs...but Im so tempted to just buy a prepay 02 and unlock it for use on 3 irl.

Before i buy, can any1 confirm that ALL functions work as normal when using a jailbroken and unlocked 3gs with a 3irl sim? And does it cause any annoying issues such as slowing down the phones performance etc?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bobanon

i upgarded the firmware on my iphone 3g to 3.0 and now my turbo sim wont unlock it anymore. i jailbroke the phone with the intention of using ultrasn0w to unlock it but all the guides i can find say that i have to use cydia through the wifi on the phone to get ultrasn0w. as i do not have wifi where i live is there a way to put ultrasn0w on the phone by connecting it to the laptop or unlock it using a different programe. also if any one could post any links to how cydia and icy work and what the difference is. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Was considering getting a fully networked unlocked phone from Belgium or wherever myself but then I was thinking, what's the point of paying more than a networked locked phone if you're gonna do a jailbreak etc cos any future update from Apple via iTunes is gonna break the jailbreak, and it'll have to be re-jailbroken, and while there the unlock might as well be done as well....

just undecided at the moment....

I was planning on going to belgium in about 5 weeks to try pick up an unlocked 3gs...but Im so tempted to just buy a prepay 02 and unlock it for use on 3 irl.

Before i buy, can any1 confirm that ALL functions work as normal when using a jailbroken and unlocked 3gs with a 3irl sim? And does it cause any annoying issues such as slowing down the phones performance etc?

Thanks
    All functions will work as normal on an unlocked iPhone. It doesn't slow down performance.

The only inconvenience is that when a new firmware update comes out, you can't download it directly from Apple. You'll have to wait till the DevTeam crack the update and release a jailbreak & Unlock for that firmware.
    bobanon wrote: »
    i upgarded the firmware on my iphone 3g to 3.0 and now my turbo sim wont unlock it anymore. i jailbroke the phone with the intention of using ultrasn0w to unlock it but all the guides i can find say that i have to use cydia through the wifi on the phone to get ultrasn0w. as i do not have wifi where i live is there a way to put ultrasn0w on the phone by connecting it to the laptop or unlock it using a different programe. also if any one could post any links to how cydia and icy work and what the difference is. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    Nope. You have to have Cydia to get ultrasn0w. Maybe go to a local Wi-Fi Hotspot? You'll probably have to pay to use one though.

Cydia and Icy are custom apps that are installed on your iPhone. They give you access to Jailbreak repositories where you can download apps that would not be allowed on the AppStore. They are both the same thing pretty much and Cydia is installed automatically when you jailbreak your iPhone.
    Simon201 wrote: »
    Was considering getting a fully networked unlocked phone from Belgium or wherever myself but then I was thinking, what's the point of paying more than a networked locked phone if you're gonna do a jailbreak etc cos any future update from Apple via iTunes is gonna break the jailbreak, and it'll have to be re-jailbroken, and while there the unlock might as well be done as well....

just undecided at the moment....
    If you don't mind sticking to O2 then I'd recommend getting the Network Locked one. Less stress and I've only had positive experiences with O2. Their customer service is second to none and the Pre-Pay packages are on par with the rest of the networks so I'm a happy camper :D If you buy an iPhone with O2 then you at least have peace of mind that if anything goes wrong, you can easily get it repaired/replaced and you can take out Insurance for €9 a month on Pre-Pay and Bill Pay so whether it accidentally breaks or it's stolen, you're covered!

And no, I'm not an employee of O2 :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I have a 2nd gen ipod touch running software v.2.0

Is it worth my while jailbreaking it at the minute. I've been travellign without a pc or laptop for the last few months, so I have no idea what advantages i'd get.
    Could somebody give me a quick run-down of;
    Advantages of firmware 3.0, and
    Jailbreaking

Thanks in advance

All functions will work as normal on an unlocked iPhone. It doesn't slow down performance.

The only inconvenience is that when a new firmware update comes out, you can't download it directly from Apple. You'll have to wait till the DevTeam crack the update and release a jailbreak & Unlock for that firmware.

:P

Thanks for the info. Do the Dev team crack/release jailbreak+unlock for every update, or just the big ones? And usually how long after the official update is the Dev teams crack released? Is it likely that the Dev team will not be able to crack updates in the future as apple are constantly closing up loopholes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bobanon

thanks purple gorilla. will look for local wifi spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I thought the 3.0 update was ment to be free :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Mellor wrote: »
    I have a 2nd gen ipod touch running software v.2.0

Is it worth my while jailbreaking it at the minute. I've been travellign without a pc or laptop for the last few months, so I have no idea what advantages i'd get.
    Could somebody give me a quick run-down of;
    Advantages of firmware 3.0, and
    Jailbreaking

Thanks in advance

There's a full list of features of 3.0 on the Apple website. TBH, most of the stuff is "under the bonnet" and not immediately obvious. Having said that, I have noticed a slight increase in response times of my 1st Gen iPhone since I upgraded to 3.0.

Jailbreaking is basically cracking the protection on your iPhone/Touch to allow non-Apple authorised software to be installed. Generally speaking, they are created by true enthusiasts and tweak the operating system in ways that Apple would never allow (e.g. true multi-tasking).
    Thanks for the info. Do the Dev team crack/release jailbreak+unlock for every update, or just the big ones? And usually how long after the official update is the Dev teams crack released? Is it likely that the Dev team will not be able to crack updates in the future as apple are constantly closing up loopholes?

The Dev team are volunteers. As such, they release updates when they can, if they can. There is nothing set in stone. Apple is continually improving it's software and closing holes, but nothing is completely foolproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I thought the 3.0 update was ment to be free :confused:

It is, for iPhone users. iPod touch users have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

mobius42 wrote: »
    It is, for iPhone users. iPod touch users have to pay.
    That's a bit unfair and to be honest I don't think they should be charging for it.

Question: On the iclarified website, it has a tutorial on how to jailbreak/unlock the new 3GS..it says:

''This is a preliminary jailbreak and thus some apps such as Winterboard will not work. You may want to consider waiting for the jailbreak release from the iPhone Dev-Team if this is important to you.''

This implies that if I use the purplera1n jailbreak, I wont be able to undo this and use the Dev team jailbreak when it becomes available...is this the case?

If you've already jailbroken your iPhone, why would you need to jailbreak it again with the Dev-Team jailbreak? They both do the same thing. Infact, PurpleRa1n is the cleanest and easiest jailbreak I've done so far.

You just have to wait for some apps like Winterboard to be updated to work with the 3GS.

Anyway, you can just restore the phone and then jailbreak it again with the Dev-Team version if you really want but it's sort of pointless

If you've already jailbroken your iPhone, why would you need to jailbreak it again with the Dev-Team jailbreak? They both do the same thing. Infact, PurpleRa1n is the cleanest and easiest jailbreak I've done so far.

You just have to wait for some apps like Winterboard to be updated to work with the 3GS.

Anyway, you can just restore the phone and then jailbreak it again with the Dev-Team version if you really want but it's sort of pointless

from what ive read, apps like winterboard dont work because its the jailbreak that needs updating, not the app itself...so its expected that all the aps will work fine with the dev teams jailbreak,and also with purplera1n if its updated which i assume it will as its a currently only a beta...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Dades wrote: »
    Do let know, phil, thanks.
    Have the same specs as yourself.

for some reason, redsn0w wasnt working for me, so used this page to get it working

http://www.blogsdna.com/3742/download-custom-ipsw-30-for-iphone-3g-2g-30-ipod-touch-30.htm

used their custom firmware, and the pwnage tool to make doubly sure i was in dfu mode.

works fine now!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys i have installed Cycorder, but I do not know how to get the video's off my iPhone now. I see mentions of programs for macs, but I'm on a PC. They metnion SSH but I've no idea what that is.

Anyone know a program for PC that will let me transfer video's to my computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭vigos

To the people that have used purplera1n and ultrasn0w to jailbreak and unlock the 3GS, do you need to activate your iphone after you jailbreak it?

I´ve read some people complaining on geohotz blog site that they needed to use hacktivate or something as they were only able to get emergency calls after it was jailbroken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Yeah, iphonebrowser. Its a great pc app that allows you to access your iphone file system over usb connection

Edit: This was in response to Zascar!

Guys i have installed Cycorder, but I do not know how to get the video's off my iPhone now. I see mentions of programs for macs, but I'm on a PC. They metnion SSH but I've no idea what that is.

First of all, check Cydia to see if you have Open SSH installed. If you don't, install it.
    Download WinSCP and then open it. Here's the details you need to enter:
    IP Address: Go on your iPhone and go Settings> Wi-Fi> The little arrow to the right of your network. Type the iPhone's IP Address you see into the WinSCP field on your computer.

Username: Root
    Password: Alpine

File Protocol: Change to SCP

Then Login.

A screen will come up that will show you all the files in your iPhone. When you record a video it is placed as a timestamped Quicktime .mov file in /var/mobile/Media/Videos

Just drag and drop the videos to your desktop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

First of all, check Cydia to see if you have Open SSH installed. If you don't, install it.
    Download WinSCP and then open it. Here's the details you need to enter:
    IP Address: Go on your iPhone and go Settings> Wi-Fi> The little arrow to the right of your network. Type the iPhone's IP Address you see into the WinSCP field on your computer.

Username: Root
    Password: Alpine

File Protocol: Change to SCP

Then Login.

A screen will come up that will show you all the files in your iPhone. When you record a video it is placed as a timestamped Quicktime .mov file in /var/mobile/Media/Videos

Just drag and drop the videos to your desktop :)
    Your assuming that he has wifi.

Is there anyway of getting them off without wifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭alter200

Quazzie wrote: »

check animax's reply above

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Further to issues I mentioned a couple of pages ago - I just successfully jailbroke my 3G, running 3.0.

Took five mins. I basically just (re)ran redsn0w.exe and followed the instructions. Got a signal this time, so happy days. Also managed to install an .ipa file with relative ease, too.

Quazzie wrote: »

Well if he can download Cycorder then he should have Wi-Fi :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Just download a program called diskaid, let's you browse the contents of your iPhone (like cycorder recordings) then copy to or from the device to pc

Advertisement