Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It is in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Stephen wrote: »
    It is in the US.

And the UK.

Got to play with one in the Apple Store in Belfast yesterday, I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Left very much with a feeling of "is that it?". Apart from the fact that it did seem thinner and lighter. I didn't really notice the speed improvement compared to my 1st Gen.

Still, roll on Friday. I've pretty much made up my mind at this stage to sell my soul to O2 for 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    And the UK.

Got to play with one in the Apple Store in Belfast yesterday, I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Left very much with a feeling of "is that it?". Apart from the fact that it did seem thinner and lighter. I didn't really notice the speed improvement compared to my 1st Gen.

Still, roll on Friday. I've pretty much made up my mind at this stage to sell my soul to O2 for 18 months.

So your going for the 3gs so Tom? What swung your decision from the normal 3g? I think thats what you were thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Any more discussion of illegal software or ways of installing cracked software will result in bans,simple as.

Boards.ie is not the place to discuss anything illegal.

What's illegal about unlocking a phone?

Questions....
    How do I unjailbreak my iPhone 3g 2.2.1?
    Does it wipe all Cydia stuff and files from the phone when I do it?
    Do I update or restore to 3.0 through iTunes after I unjailbreak?
    ...and if I restore, what is restored exactly?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

There's nothing illegal about unlocking a phone but using software that allows you to 'acquire' apps that you should be paying for is a different matter. Actually, I'm not sure if that is illegal either but it certainly would put boards.ie in a bad position if it was being discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So your going for the 3gs so Tom? What swung your decision from the normal 3g? I think thats what you were thinking about.

The price plan, basically. €40 for unlimited texts/calls to another O2 number (i.e. Herself). Plus I need 16Gb. My 8Gb was used up about a month after I got it.

Nobody said anything was illegal about unlocking an iPhone.
    Questions....

Thanks

Have a read over the various threads. These questions have been answered numerous times.
    Mr Bloat wrote: »
    There's nothing illegal about unlocking a phone but using software that allows you to 'acquire' apps that you should be paying for is a different matter. Actually, I'm not sure if that is illegal either but it certainly would put boards.ie in a bad position if it was being discussed here.

And that's the end of the discussion on it. No more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Questions....

Thanks

You don't unjailbreak your existing one, per se but the act of updating or restoring unjailbreaks it.

Yes it does wipe all the Cydia stuff when you upgrade or restore but there's a Cydia app called aptbackup (or something close) that claims to backup all these apps. I've never used it, though.

If you update and restore, you get upgraded to 3.0 and all your mails, contacts, apps, etc are put back exactly as they are now. Then you run the jailbreak procedure.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    You don't unjailbreak your existing one, per se but the act of updating or restoring unjailbreaks it.

Yes it does wipe all the Cydia stuff when you upgrade or restore but there's a Cydia app called aptbackup (or something close) that claims to backup all these apps. I've never used it, though.

If you update and restore, you get upgraded to 3.0 and all your mails, contacts, apps, etc are put back exactly as they are now. Then you run the jailbreak procedure.

I've taken a few screenshots of my apps i have now, not too bothered about losing them though. Do I update or restore my phone through iTunes to get the 3.0?

Update through itunes to get 3.0. Make sure you have the latest iTunes installed or it probably won't offer you the upgrade.

• Advertisement

Update through itunes to get 3.0. Make sure you have the latest iTunes installed or it probably won't offer you the upgrade.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I just noticed that I have 2 folders now in wallpapers and photos.

1 is my iPhone wallpaper folder that I synced with iTunes and I have another folder called photo library with the exact same wallpapers in it.

What's the deal with this?

p1426220609.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

@ mad muffin

There's a folder on your PC/Mac that contains a mirror of the images on your iPhone. If you create a new folder in that folder, when you synch or restrore your device the new folder will appear on your iPhone also. You can see where the local folder is through iTunes.

Dades wrote: »
    @ mad muffin

There's a folder on your PC/Mac that contains a mirror of the images on your iPhone. If you create a new folder in that folder, when you synch or restrore your device the new folder will appear on your iPhone also. You can see where the local folder is through iTunes.

So what do I need to do to get rid of the mirror?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

mad muffin wrote: »
    So what do I need to do to get rid of the mirror?

You can't get rid of it. It's an "all photos" folder. If you added another folder of photos to the phone, both of them would be displayed under photo library.

mobius42 wrote: »
    You can't get rid of it. It's an "all photos" folder. If you added another folder of photos to the phone, both of them would be displayed under photo library.

Ok I see. Its not taking up any extra space is it?

mad muffin wrote: »
    Ok I see. Its not taking up any extra space is it?

No, it's just a way to look at all your photos at once.

mobius42 wrote: »
    No, it's just a way to look at all your photos at once.

Cool Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

The price plan, basically. €40 for unlimited texts/calls to another O2 number (i.e. Herself)

Hi Tom..I am think about moving to o2 also, and getting the missus to move over aswell. But I just don't dont see the value! We are both with 3 at the mo and we get a set amount of free '3to3' mins on top of the normal allowance which we use to call each other for free.

So basically, on the 29 euro plan (150 any network + 150 free 3 to 3) and 1 gb data(10 euro) I end up with a bill for 50 quid after using about 325 min(150 of which are 3 to 3 mins and so are free).

If I move to 02 on that usage, id have to opt for the 65/month plan, her usage is the same as mine but no data, so she would be looking at the 55/month plan, where as with 3, her bill is 40 max.

And if I go with the plan you are on, it would end up costing a fortune with the 175ish non o2 calls I would be making. Do you not find that your bill will be well over 50 quid once you make a few calls to non o2 networks?

I really think o2 should give every1 a few free 02 to 02 calls included with their plan-this would then gives the likes of me an insentive to get my girlfriend/mates to move to o2 so I could call them for free.

I did the maths and i cant justify us both moving! Ahwell rant over...

When you sign up to the iPhone 350 plan or higher, you also get a free extra, one of which is unlimited O2 to O2 calls anytime. You can check out the rest of them here: http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=50221&postcount=1

Maybe this might make it good value for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi Tom..I am think about moving to o2 also, and getting the missus to move over aswell. But I just don't dont see the value!

There is one thing you need to understand here... there is no value to be had in using an iPhone on O2. When you sign up for an iPhone, you become a premium user - this does not entitle you to any more than another phone user. It does however entitle you to a much larger bill, with less minutes; texts etc...

Which is the main reason I moved away from them. Also, iPhone users on O2 are billed differently from other O2 users - its to do with the Reality Distortion Field...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just posted this in Bargain Alerts for anyone who is interested: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055600099

If you ask 02 the will let you use your minutes when roaming in the UK - should save you a few quid. They also did a report and advised me to move to a higher tarriff saving me money. Yes the iPhone is expensive but thankfully I get my bills paid for ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bluefoam wrote: »
    There is one thing you need to understand here... there is no value to be had in using an iPhone on O2.
    Whether or not there is value is entirely subjective.

My bill dropped from an average of €55 on Meteor to being covered by the €45 tariff on O2. The minutes, texts and in particular, data in the plan were exactly suited to my needs.

Everyone should assess their own situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

when's the unlock out on iclarrified for 3.0, i've it jailbroken with cydia installed, I think it's Ultra Snow i'm after, anyone got a release data?

tks
    dm

eidt: it's the 3G iphone..

Ultrasn0w was supposed to come out last Friday but the dev team seems to have encountered a problem. They're promising it "soon" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Edit: hmm, not sure this post was a good idea.
    must read a bit more on what is/isnt allowed here.

Edit2: My original Q was ok but I found the answer on a previous post.

Move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ultrasn0w was supposed to come out last Friday but the dev team seems to have encountered a problem. They're promising it "soon" though.

Cheers for the update Stephen;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I updated at the weekend, was a lot of fun!! Took 5 runs to get it done. Lost all my settings as well as I couldn't do a restore from backup from iTunes. So had to install all my settings from scratch. Had some issues with cydia as well, for some reason it was not reading the OS3 saurik repository so I had to manually add it to get all the latest cydia updates.

Must say I'm impressed with OS3. I'm on a first gen iphone and was considering updating to the 3GS but going to hold off now. It's running very nicely and alot snappier that OS2 - although I left out alot of Cydia stuff that I no longer use so that could be a reason.

Few Cydia apps not working, scrobble doesn't scrobble, MobileFinder crashes, StatusNotifier crashes when launching but default settings work ok and mobileTerminal launches upside down! I"m sure they will get sorted in the coming days.

Bring on the push apps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Latest info from CPICH3g(one of the iphone dev team)

http://twitter.com/cpich3g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

stage2 of their build finished......they just need to re-test now.....reckon we will see this out in the next 2hrs.....but then I have said that every day so ignore me:o

Advertisement