Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are on 02 Contract - Free UK Roaming*!

Options
  • 22-06-2009 3:39pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A mate just told me about this - apparently it was something they advertised in 2006 - and still hvae but they will not tell you about it, you have to actually call and ask them about it.

It's called the UK Roaming Initiative - Basically they can switch it so that when you are in NI or the UK, you do not pay the roaming charges, *they take it out of your monthly minutes instead*. Could save you a fortune if you do spend any time in the UK.

I just called them and they did it no probs. They also did a report on my spending and it was obvious that I needed to go to a higher plan so i should get cheaper bills from now on!
    :-D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

What exactly do you ask for? My bills are massive when I head over to see a match in the UK, this would be dead handy...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

it's called the "UK Roaming Initiative"

Just say a friend of yours got UK roaming included in his monthly minutes and you want the same.

Apparently they have to give it to you if you ask for it, but its not something they offer or even advertise etc

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

I have had this for 2 years +. Its no big secret. All bill O2 customers have free roaming in UK. Just make sure that you are on the O2 network in the UK when you are making/receiving calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It was actively offered to customers up until a few months ago, now you have to ask about it, basically means if you're on an active life or o2 clear plan when roaming in the uk your minutes work same as here and you dont pay for incoming calls while using O2 UK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This has been the case for over 3 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Texts and data not included though.

Only calls come out of minutes, and if they're gone- it's roamng rates.

Unlimited plans don't count for calls made.

If I didn't go mad on data I'd have saved a fortune!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The reason its not promoted, is because they promote 'my europe' which is more expensive for the uk but overall i guess its the saving in having the same rate europe wide, and can be used on other networks not just o2's

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Davy wrote: »
    This has been the case for over 3 years now.
    I know, as I specifically said in the first post: it was advertised in 2006 but not since then. It is an "Option" they do not give you unless you ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Just make sure that you are on the O2 network in the UK when you are making/receiving calls.

Sounds easy.:rolleyes:

You have to select O2 UK by manually searching for networks. You'll see O2 UK on the list, select it, job done.
    But....
    If you're roaming and the network drops out, then your phone will ask you to select a network. It'll stay on that screen until you search again even if the network comes back in range.
    If you have your phone in your pocket, and this happens, then you'll not notice that you've no coverage until you check your phone because you've not had a call in ages. More problematic when traveling in NI as their network has so many black spots.
    I signed on to O2 to make use of this but its such a pain in the ass I don't even bother any more. In fairness, all the networks try the same thing, and its equally as rubbish with them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Let me know when someone can figure out how to roam on vodafone network in ireland while on 02 network in ireland :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TT Bone

Anyone know for sure if this is available on iPhone tariff(3GS)?

Advertisement