Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official 3.0 Upgrade/Jailbreak/unlock thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

silly mac people...sniff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh sh*t...

I've a 1st Gen iPhone, decided to update it to 3.0, and naively didn't realise I'd have to unlock/jailbreak/whatever it afterwards :( Downloading that 7A341 thing at the moment... let's hope those instructions posted work :(

I'm on a PC, so any help would be appreciated... Will that QuickPWN thing work for me?

I'm fairly sh*t at all this iPhone business, so be gentle with me :(

edit

I've a mac laptop, will pwnage Tool work for that NOW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Dave! wrote: »
    Ahh sh*t...

I've a 1st Gen iPhone, decided to update it to 3.0, and naively didn't realise I'd have to unlock/jailbreak/whatever it afterwards :( Downloading that 7A341 thing at the moment... let's hope those instructions posted work :(

I'm on a PC, so any help would be appreciated... Will that QuickPWN thing work for me?

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

I think its just for Mac's at the moment.. Might have to wait a few hours/days for the windows release..

If you go here and enter your email they will mail you when the jailbreak drops..

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Hang on, if your on a 2G Iphone you dont need to unlock, you can just restore with the jailbroken file. Go on to the iphone-dev.org site and scroll down you will see people seeding the file you need....then just do a shift+restore in itunes and select the file you have downloaded.

Ahh sh*t...

edit

I've a mac laptop, will pwnage Tool work for that NOW?

anoble66 wrote: »
    Hang on, if your on a 2G Iphone you dont need to unlock, you can just restore with the jailbroken file. Go on to the iphone-dev.org site and scroll down you will see people seeding the file you need....then just do a shift+restore in itunes and select the file you have downloaded.
    Any chance you could give me a bit more detail on that mate?

I'm not sure what file I should be downloading from the iphone-dev.org site, or what to do with it :o And what's the shift+restore? I'm not given the option to restore, it just says "the sim card inserted... does not appear to be supported", etc.

Thanks for the help guys, I always panic when I have to mess around with this feckin phone :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Any chance you could give me a bit more detail on that mate?

I'm not sure what file I should be downloading from the iphone-dev.org site, or what to do with it :o And what's the shift+restore? I'm not given the option to restore, it just says "the sim card inserted... does not appear to be supported", etc.

Thanks for the help guys, I always panic when I have to mess around with this feckin phone :(
    Same here, I'm on a 1st gen 1.1.4 iphone (unlocked and jailbroken) and really don't know whether I should bother updating to 3.0

My phone is now f*cked, I can't do anything with it!!! So f*cking frustrated right now, I wanna kill someone

It'srgzyhgfjghjghj

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leek

wait let me get this right?

if i have the 2g iphone unlocked and jailbroken i can update to 3.0 tru itunes and it will still be unlocked but have lost the jailbreak?

is it possible to use the phone without the jailbreak then? cos if it was working wit just the unlock i wudnt be bothered with the jailbreak anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Yeah that's right but only if it was previously unlocked with the pwnage tool or winpwn.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leek

im pretty sure i used quickpwn!

so its prob i best wait for the release!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Yeah I'm the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭CivilEx

No ultrasn0w till Monday methinks. Musclenerd twittering of a delay due to YouTube bug.

Yeah, although they may still release quickpwn over the weekend, not sure.....meh I don't care anymore :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

When I got my 3G iPhone about 6 months ago, I tried 3 different programs but just could not jaulbreak it. Errors or crashing, it just would not work.

I hope this one does. When it comes out could someone please provide a link to a good walkthrough of exactly how to do it for us noobs?

Hi Zascar - here is a very good site for a walkthrough on jailbreaking and unlocking etc. It will probably be updated over the coming days for the new jailbrake but it should be the exact same steps..

www.iclarified.com

Ok - redsn0w is now released....this is the new QuickPWN:-

download @ http://thepiratebay.org/user/iphonedev/

Saturday, 20th June 2009, 05:06 am

The iPhone Dev-Team has released the RedSn0w jailbreak for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G and iPod touches. RedSn0w replaces QuickPwn for these devices.

redsn0w is an easy to use, multi-platform, multi-device jailbreaking and unlocking tool for the iPhone 2G (original iPhone), the iPhone 3G (but not the 3GS) and also the iPod touch (first and second generation). Currently it is available for Windows and Mac OS X (there are some issues using redsn0w with OS X PPC, please use an Intel Mac until we have this problem resolved).

REDSN0W PROVIDES SIMILAR FUNCTIONALITY TO QUICKPW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

So I have a jailbroken 3G on 2.2.1. DO I restore in Itunes then run redsnow or do I just run redsnow?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Okay, I have an 3G iPhone with O2, Im lost with all this YellowSn0w, RedSn0w, Pwnage talk :rolleyes:

If I want to Unlock my iPhone to use with any carrier such as Vodafone etc. what should I do?

P.S my iPhone has never been unlocked before so this will be the first time, and I'm on a Mac.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

"Unlocking" is different to "Jaulbreaking"

Unlocking only lets you use your phone on other networks. The easiest way to do this is to call 02, tell them you are going to live in e.g. Spain for 3 months and want to be able to use your phone when you are over there with a local sim - they will unlock it for you.

Jailbreaking is totally different - it is removing apple's restrictions allowing you to install 3rd party apps and all sorts of different stuff.

I am also confused with yellowsnow and pwnage - so I'm going to wait a few days untill all is released and there is a simple one best way to jaulbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Zascar wrote: »
    "Unlocking" is different to "Jaulbreaking"

Unlocking only lets you use your phone on other networks. The easiest way to do this is to call 02, tell them you are going to live in e.g. Spain for 3 months and want to be able to use your phone when you are over there with a local sim - they will unlock it for you.

Jailbreaking is totally different - it is removing apple's restrictions allowing you to install 3rd party apps and all sorts of different stuff.

I am also confused with yellowsnow and pwnage - so I'm going to wait a few days untill all is released and there is a simple one best way to jaulbreak.

Ah I see, so If I jailbreak that also unlocks the I phone for other carriers, right? Have no problem using the YellowSn0w, RedSn0w, Pwnage etc. but want to know which is the right method?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

on an iphone 3G. just updated through itunes and downloaded redsnow. Were is the IPSW its looking for? thanks

Edit found it sorry

Just jailbroke my 3G. had my iphone jailbroken on 2.2.1 now just jailbroke it on 3.0. i updated to 3.0 rather than restoring. have i lost much memory? am i better restoring now and doin it again?
    Bar the search i havent noticed anything different. Do we not get MMS?

you should get MMS icon once you put in your MMS carrier settings into the network section.

Just for people that are confused about the different names etc, Redsn0w will not unlock your phone it will only jailbreak it. Once Jailbroken, you will (once released) be able to download Ultrasn0w via Cydia. But I don't think we will see this until Monday from what I have read so if in doubt hold off until Monday or you will end up with a locked phone. Obviously if you only need to use O2 then work away.

I updated to the 3.0 software via itunes the other day, all works fine and I have the mms etc.

CAn I just use Redsn0w to jailbreak? Do I not have to download the 3.0 firmwear as a seperate file? Anyone have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Just jailbroke my 3G. had my iphone jailbroken on 2.2.1 now just jailbroke it on 3.0. i updated to 3.0 rather than restoring. have i lost much memory? am i better restoring now and doin it again?
    Bar the search i havent noticed anything different. Do we not get MMS?

The way I see it when you update rather than restore the partition from your previous jailbreak is kept.

When you jailbreak again it creates a new partition so the former partition is kept as well.

Thank you redsn0w :) Working!

you should not need to, once your updated to 3.0 through Itunes, run Redsn0w and follow the instructions.

Zascar wrote: »
    I updated to the 3.0 software via itunes the other day, all works fine and I have the mms etc.

CAn I just use Redsn0w to jailbreak? Do I not have to download the 3.0 firmwear as a seperate file? Anyone have a link?

mad muffin wrote: »
    The way I see it when you update rather than restore the partition from your previous jailbreak is kept.

When you jailbreak again it creates a new partition so the former partition is kept as well.

Yeah will that not be taking up memory? Im just restoring it now to be on the safe side. thanks

The IClarified tutorial for jailbreaking with Redsn0w is up:-

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4301

• Advertisement

have a feeling they will release ultrasn0w fairly soon:-

http://m.twitter.com/MuscleNerd

Advertisement